Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Did you go the right direction for blade spin?
Edit: if you did any sort of length, odds are you did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Sockington posted:

Did you go the right direction for blade spin?
Edit: if you did any sort of length, odds are you did.

Yes definitely the right direction. I finished it all, it's just a bit burnt

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

esquilax posted:

Not sure what I'm doing wrong with my palm router.

I was doing a 1/8" roundover on some cheap birch veneer plywood and got a bunch of scorch marks. I turned down the speed (from 25,000 to 20,700 says the manual) and the cut was still a little wobbly and it still scorched at the start of the cut and occasionally throughout. I feel like I was moving the router maybe 4" per second?

Any obvious things I'm missing or tips?
Some woods (birch, maple, cherry) are more prone to burning than others. Lowering the spindle speed more might help. Odds are your bit is dull though. I find nice bits (Whiteside, Freud/Diablo, amana) burn alot less than cheap ones, I assume because they are sharper.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I love my wife.

:boom: “they don’t have the SE model, but they have the HD”

:ohdear: “Is that the cheaper model?”

:boom: “No.”

I guess I owe her some shelves now.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sockington posted:

I love my wife.

:unsmith:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Picked up a really big oilstone in a handmade case at an antique store for $really too much money, it's got a big dip in the middle from the previous owner just sharpening knives on it. Anyone wanna sell me on the best/preferred method of flattening an arkensas stone when you need to take like an 1/8" or more off the top?

The worst of the dip is along this corner:

I figure I probably will leave that corner somewhat rounded off, I might just flip it but the other side also has a dip in the middle so either way I need to lap it quite a lot.

The inlay on this old case is the main reason I grabbed it (sorry for the lovely pic)

I also got this interesting old spokeshave

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Sockington posted:

I love my wife.

I think you won that one, so make them exactly as she asks.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Picked up a really big oilstone in a handmade case at an antique store for $really too much money, it's got a big dip in the middle from the previous owner just sharpening knives on it. Anyone wanna sell me on the best/preferred method of flattening an arkensas stone when you need to take like an 1/8" or more off the top?

I figure I probably will leave that corner somewhat rounded off, I might just flip it but the other side also has a dip in the middle so either way I need to lap it quite a lot.

The inlay on this old case is the main reason I grabbed it (sorry for the lovely pic)

Plate glass or equivalent with glued on medium to medium/coarse grit sandpaper, run the stone back and forth with even pressure and check frequently for chunks of abrasive or stone coming off and gouging deep

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
If you can hand sharpen without jigs, that stone ismight be usable as is.

e: Depends a bit on if it's an even hollow along the width.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Leperflesh posted:

Coarse diamond plate will definitely do it, sandpaper on glass probably will but I’m not sure about the relative hardness of oilstones vs. aluminum oxide or silicon carbide. Definitely worth trying if you don’t have a diamond plate though.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

dupersaurus posted:

This isn't really woodworking, but I figured y'all might get a kick from it. I've been doing some experiments with block printing wood grain

Olive

Canadian Tapeworm posted:

I'm only about halfway through the thread, but I'm enjoying it and learning so much from everyone that I figured I should finally contribute something.

This is a walnut tv stand I made for my brother

These are both super cool, well done.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I only have a fine diamond plate and it's also too small. I use sandpaper on a 12" square stone tile for a lot of my hand plane lapping work so I'll give that a try, I wasn't sure if it'd work on the stone or if the stone'd be too hard. I assume water as lube, but this is an oilstone, so maybe oil instead?

His Divine Shadow posted:

If you can hand sharpen without jigs, that stone ismight be usable as is.

e: Depends a bit on if it's an even hollow along the width.

Not an even hollow. I think the previous owner sharpened by dragging knives across one edge, wearing down that edge and making a deep hollow in the middle that doesn't go all the way across. The opposite side is not as bad and I may just try and get that side flat.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Sockington posted:

Hey, somebody is making a more ridiculous table than myself.

Edit:\/\/ oh yeah. It’s super impressive which is why I posted it.

drat. Did they give any context for building it that rigid?

E: and holy poo poo that... opposed half-tenon (?) joint on the sills

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Apr 3, 2023

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

ReelBigLizard posted:

drat. Did they give any context for building it that rigid?

They were putting 14’ long bowling lane on top of it. Makes my tractor trailer flooring seem so plebeian.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Hahaha yeah ok in that case it's certainly an option...

The Immovable Object re-imagined as a bench

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
It’s going to be used as a bar. He revealed that the beams are cut for some of the leg joints, so they don’t actually pass through in certain spots. Here’s the rest of his build pics.

Capping the tops for foot rests

Leg pass through

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Well that's certainly better than the way i thought it was put together, but that's still a tremendous amount of material put together with basically zero consideration for racking force, p sure your trophy is still safe

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Apr 3, 2023

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

I only have a fine diamond plate and it's also too small. I use sandpaper on a 12" square stone tile for a lot of my hand plane lapping work so I'll give that a try, I wasn't sure if it'd work on the stone or if the stone'd be too hard. I assume water as lube, but this is an oilstone, so maybe oil instead?

If it's a natural mined whetstone, it's a form of quartz crystal with a mohs hardness around 7 and Aluminum oxide in sandpaper has a hardness of 9 so it should work. If it's a synthetic so called "carborundum" stone, that's silicon carbide with a mohs of around 9.5, which will require a diamond plate to flatten

E: also oilstone and whetstone are interchangeable terms, there's nothing special about using oil vs water as a lubricant, and you won't ruin anything by using water on it even if it has oil in it. If anything some soapy water would help clean the pores of oil which may make it cut faster as you lap it.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Sockington posted:

They were putting 14’ long bowling lane on top of it. Makes my tractor trailer flooring seem so plebeian.
I got a bowling lane table top + base made out of 2x4s from some rando off of Craigslist. It is indeed heavy as poo poo.

I have no room for it at our current house so I got rid of the base it looked lovely anyways.

When ever we move to a place I can set it up again I've got some 1/4" thick steel corner pieces I salvaged from somewhere and some 4x4 posts to build a new base with.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Sockington posted:

It’s going to be used as a bar. He revealed that the beams are cut for some of the leg joints, so they don’t actually pass through in certain spots.

Here’s the rest of his build pics.

Is he working this manually or is there CNC involved? Maybe a little of both?

Either way I love it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I didn't realize that little detail was to let metal in. I kind of liked it as just a devorative little detail that went with the chamfers on the legs.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Sockington posted:

It’s going to be used as a bar. He revealed that the beams are cut for some of the leg joints, so they don’t actually pass through in certain spots. Here’s the rest of his build pics.

Capping the tops for foot rests

Leg pass through

lmao this is madness, like those coffee tables made of 8" thick butcher block with cast iron feet. I'm picturing him placing this thing and it just Acmes through the floor.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Anyone seen any good/clever sliding miter saw dust collection solutions? The two camps I've seen on youtube etc. seem to either be 'build a big box behind the saw' (or buy one of those fabric hoods) or spend a lot of time trying to engineer a not very effective better dust collection port behind the blade. Neither seems super ideal, but maybe it's just impossible to collect dust from a miter saw.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Anyone seen any good/clever sliding miter saw dust collection solutions? The two camps I've seen on youtube etc. seem to either be 'build a big box behind the saw' (or buy one of those fabric hoods) or spend a lot of time trying to engineer a not very effective better dust collection port behind the blade. Neither seems super ideal, but maybe it's just impossible to collect dust from a miter saw.

Unless the dust port on yours manages to capture way more dust than mine does, I can't see how anything based on the port is going to help much. I have considered taking one side off of a cheap range hood and using it (upside down) as a funnel behind the saw, but it seems Sisyphean.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Here's how Frank Howarth did it for his radial arm saws:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwd6i3UmbMI

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I honestly didn't think it was too bad when I just had a vac hooked up to my brand spanking new Elu miter saw.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Pffft if you aren’t cutting wood in downdraft automotive paint booth

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I've been thinking about something I got to do later this year. How do I move a 600kg bandsaw across an uneven gravel driveway to it's new home. First steps are removing both wheels, the table and the wooden enclosure to make less heav and less top heavy. But I still got 450-500kg left.

I got a shop crane that can lift it and move t about inside the shop easily enough but not so outside on the gravel.

I'm thinking if I should lift it onto half a sheet of 3/4" plywood and screw it in place, and then have more sheets of plywood on the ground, then drag it over the full sheets using a winch and moving the sheets from the back to the front as I go.

Then I got a similar issue with the table saw. And perhaps the solution is the same.

Well that's my rough idea anyway, anyone got a better idea?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I've been thinking about something I got to do later this year. How do I move a 600kg bandsaw across an uneven gravel driveway to it's new home. First steps are removing both wheels, the table and the wooden enclosure to make less heav and less top heavy. But I still got 450-500kg left.

I got a shop crane that can lift it and move t about inside the shop easily enough but not so outside on the gravel.

I'm thinking if I should lift it onto half a sheet of 3/4" plywood and screw it in place, and then have more sheets of plywood on the ground, then drag it over the full sheets using a winch and moving the sheets from the back to the front as I go.

Then I got a similar issue with the table saw. And perhaps the solution is the same.

Put it on the plywood with the crane first, and secure it. A ratchet strap or two may help as well. Then get some of those wheels they use for heavy chain link gates/tractors/ etc. That could handle the weight split over 4-6 wheels, and get one of those beefy large pallets they use for sheet metal, and mount the wheels to it, then lift and fasten the band saw to the pallet, then have you and some strong friends pull it over? Large diameter wheel casters or scaffolding base wheels may also work depending on your ground conditions. It's a hacky first thought but I'd probably do something along those lines.

You could also probably rent a skid steer with forklift attachments with appropriate weight capacity for a day and do it that way. Line up whatever landscaping work you might have been putting off for a while too if you want to make more use of the machine while it's there

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 6, 2023

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
E: sorry double post

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Two sheets of plywood (I’d go with 3/4”) you can roll the crane over and leapfrog the plywood sheets. If the crane won’t roll while lifting the saw, use a few lengths of 1-2” iron pipe as rollers under the saw and on top of the plywood and leapfrog the rollers like Egyptians building the pyramid. Tbh you shouldn’t need to remove any parts-even really heavy stuff usually rolls pretty well. Maybe the upper whee so it’s no so too heavy.

If you have or can borrow a pallet jack, that makes it real easy too-use the crane to lift the saw onto some 4x6 sleepers so you can get under it with the pallet jack, roll pallet jack along plywood. Obviously be very careful because bandsaws are awkwardly top heavy.

Also post pics of your 600kg bandsaw. My 24” Laguna is a paltry 300kg. I’d bet my mentor’s 38” Crescent weighed a ton easy tho.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

To be fair I never weighed it and it's just a guesstimate I got from someone else so I internalized it as truth. It's all cast iron though, 24" wheels.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
You could call a local crane company and see if they can just boom truck it into your garage for cash on their way to do something else.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
I completed all the cutting and assembling of my fish marquetry panels. These will be for 4 door panels on a piece of furniture I'm working on. Still need to do a bit of shading and glue them to the panels.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I think that's your loveliest yet. What's the background wood?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

To be fair I never weighed it and it's just a guesstimate I got from someone else so I internalized it as truth. It's all cast iron though, 24" wheels.

Guess you can't rent a forklift then, huh. Buddy of mine used to buy surplus 3 phase beasts like that and did a lot of his moving with a pallet jack. Course, you need a firm flat surface to go that route. Guess I got nothin'. :shrug:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Sounds like a good opportunity to pour some concrete and make a new path!

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I think that's your loveliest yet. What's the background wood?

Thanks, I went all in on the dyed woods on this one, not too much natural tones. The background is walnut burl.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Thanks, I went all in on the dyed woods on this one, not too much natural tones. The background is walnut burl.

Did you dye them yourself or buy dyed ones? I’ve always wondered how one would soak them in dye so it goes all the way through and keep it reasonably flat. I guess stick it in a press while it dries?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Did you dye them yourself or buy dyed ones? I’ve always wondered how one would soak them in dye so it goes all the way through and keep it reasonably flat. I guess stick it in a press while it dries?

I buy them pre-dyed for exactly that reason, I don't have the means or need to worry about dying them consistently through. I pretty much have a lifetime supply now as Certainly Wood only sells their dyed veneers in full lengths...which is 10+ feet lengths. :lol: