Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
The most my co-workers have ever felt like a team to me is when starting an icebreaker game was attempted and everyone in the room simultaneously stood up to leave. So in a sense, it worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Every team I've ever worked on has been exactly like this:

Manager: Something went wrong

Me: We screwed up but we'll fix it because we're a team!
Coworker 1: Coworker 2 did it.
Coworker 2: Coworker 1 did it.
Coworker 3: Credburn did it.
Coworker 4: Coworker 1 did it.
Coworker 5: Creburn did it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I hate when I depend on other people for things and poo poo just gets stuck.

Right now, I'm both waiting for someone to come by and fix an electrical problem at ?:00 and I'm waiting for a call from my parents to determine whether they can watch the kids today or tomorrow, which they'll call when my dad finds out from someone else when a meeting is... then on top of that there's like ten other things where I've done everything I can personally do and now the ball is in someone else's court but the P.E. teacher has wheeled a TV onto said court and they're watching Air Bud on VHS. Like my clarinet is being repaired by someone who said they'd be happy to do it--in January. And every school break that comes up is another opportunity for them to tell me how they'll be able to work on it. It's re-corking a clarinet! The only reason I didn't do it myself IS BECAUSE YOU SAID HOW FAST AND EASY YOU CAN DO IT :negative:

It's literally gotten to the point when someone offers me something my first thought is "yeah right"

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Somehow the button on my jeans can spontaneously unbutton now, despite the fact that (also recently) about half of the time I deliberately unbutton these jeans the button gets caught on loose strings first.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I don't have the time or energy to explain how "oh yeah, punk music, like The Sex Pistols?" grinds my gears

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

FFT posted:

I don't have the time or energy to explain how "oh yeah, punk music, like The Sex Pistols?" grinds my gears

You're gonna try and tell me that Rock the Cashbar by the Sex Pistols isn't a punk song?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Atticus_1354 posted:

You're gonna try and tell me that Rock the Cashbar by the Sex Pistols isn't a punk song?
gently caress you

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

FFT posted:

Punk?
You mean like Good Charlotte?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Atticus_1354 posted:

You misheard the lyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEWG6kSYqlY

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Any music small talk at all really. Either their tastes suck, or are completely different to yours.

I guess it is pretty nice and cool when it transpires that you like the same stuff as someone else, though.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The Perfect Element posted:

I guess it is pretty nice and cool when it transpires that you like the same stuff as someone else, though.

But then they like the worst album, and you wonder about them.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Any time I bring up a popular band and all anyone knows are the radio hits I have to just take off my fedora and shake my head

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Being misrepresented. I don't particularly care what strangers on the internet think of me or my opinions. But if you're going to dislike one of my takes, which is fine, be sure you know what my actual take is instead of overreacting to what you think I said.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Being misrepresented. I don't particularly care what strangers on the internet think of me or my opinions. But if you're going to dislike one of my takes, which is fine, be sure you know what my actual take is instead of overreacting to what you think I said.

:rolleyes: Great, another lovely rant about why gatekeeping is actually OK.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lol

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Same but in real life. Lots of people in my family have congenital hearing loss so I'll casually mention something like "this is really good cheese for the price point" and then they'll go around and tell 50 people I said "we should kill all jews and get ice cream" or some poo poo.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Dip Viscous posted:

Same but in real life. Lots of people in my family have congenital hearing loss so I'll casually mention something like "this is really good cheese for the price point" and then they'll go around and tell 50 people I said "we should kill all jews and get ice cream" or some poo poo.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Perfect Element posted:

Any music small talk at all really. Either their tastes suck, or are completely different to yours.

That sounds like a you problem, when people talk to me their tastes only suck if they're totally different to mine. :smug:

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
"Just drink tap water instead of bottled, tap water has no taste."

Okay, I guess the ammonia smell and all of the times I vomited are imaginary.

holy poo poo

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Dip Viscous posted:

"Just drink tap water instead of bottled, tap water has no taste."

Okay, I guess the ammonia smell and all of the times I vomited are imaginary.

holy poo poo

Move away from Flint, Michigan.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
The tap water in my town is good.

for a clown to drink at the circus etc.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Bargearse posted:

for a clown to drink at the circus etc.

They should, I bet those clown outfits are hot, they should stay hydrated.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Customer: "So how long before I get a call back?"

Me: "We're not able to provide a timeline, it depends on how long researching the issue takes and when they're able to reach out based on scheduling."

Customer: "What? So you're telling me it could be weeks or months before I hear back? Years? You're saying it could be several years before someone calls me about my problem?? I could be eighty years old befo--"

Of course not, dingus, we're just not allowed to say "a week" because (a) you'll say that's not fast enough, or (b) if they don't call you by then (or if they do and you miss the call/don't check voicemail/don't like the resolution and just want to lie), you'll just call back at 8:01 am on the 7th day demanding to know why. Quit being dramatic.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Parasol Prophet posted:

we're just not allowed to say "a week" because ... if they don't call you by then ... you'll just call back at 8:01 am on the 7th day demanding to know why.
What exactly is the problem with that? If something is supposed to take a week and I don't hear back within a week, of course I'm going to be calling back to check up on it.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Tiggum you're exactly why they aren't giving hard estimates.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Tiggum sitting poised in a lair full of ticking alarm clocks like a '60s Batman villain.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Parasol Prophet posted:

Customer: "So how long before I get a call back?"

Me: "We're not able to provide a timeline, it depends on how long researching the issue takes and when they're able to reach out based on scheduling."

Customer: "What? So you're telling me it could be weeks or months before I hear back? Years? You're saying it could be several years before someone calls me about my problem?? I could be eighty years old befo--"

Of course not, dingus, we're just not allowed to say "a week" because (a) you'll say that's not fast enough, or (b) if they don't call you by then (or if they do and you miss the call/don't check voicemail/don't like the resolution and just want to lie), you'll just call back at 8:01 am on the 7th day demanding to know why. Quit being dramatic.

it's hosed up that people want to know when the thing they're waiting for is going to happen, but why don't you just give a vague estimate? like within x days or something if you're so scared they'll call you about it?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
A meeting is scheduled from 1pm to 2pm.

Meeting holder, at 1:58pm: "I know we're kind of close to time here, but does anyone have any questions?" (pet peeve #1)
Meeting attendee: "Actually yeah, can you tell me the meaning of life, the universe, and all things within it?" (pet peeve #2)
MH, at 1:59pm: "That's actually a really great question, let me give you & everyone else in this meeting the full, complete, nuanced answer right now" (pet peeve #3)

I know mid/high-level employees want to be nice & encourage curiosity (sometimes anyway), but holy loving poo poo, meetings have end times for a reason, and some questions can wait. :mad:

edit: For the record, I would be willing to stay overtime in a meeting if the meaning of life were actually being explained, this is merely an example

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

SubNat posted:

I have a colleague who kept bragging about never being sick, who has now gotten sick multiple times this winter.
When I offhandedly commented 'oh, you're still sick? alright' to him after asking if he was at the office, he replied back 'I'm not sick, I'm just contagious.'

And christ almighty you thin skinned petty loving idiot. I already knew he was one of those 'I cannot admit any fault to my character' people, but loving hell.
I dunno why it annoys me as much as it does. " I'm not sick (because I feel that reflects poorly on me, by my own arbitrary standards), I'm just ... notsick-sick. "

(Yes he's also one of those 'do we really need vaccines? I haven't gotten sick lately' idiots.)
I'd argue that 'recovering from symptoms, but still potentially contagious' solidly fits under the sick umbrella. You're sick until you're not anymore.

Please tell me he's not COVID vaccinated so we can get a later follow-up of "well, a ventilator & rotoprone 'cured' him permanently"

YeahTubaMike posted:

A meeting is scheduled from 1pm to 2pm.

Meeting holder, at 1:58pm: "I know we're kind of close to time here, but does anyone have any questions?" (pet peeve #1)
Meeting attendee: "Actually yeah, can you tell me the meaning of life, the universe, and all things within it?" (pet peeve #2)
MH, at 1:59pm: "That's actually a really great question, let me give you & everyone else in this meeting the full, complete, nuanced answer right now" (pet peeve #3)

I know mid/high-level employees want to be nice & encourage curiosity (sometimes anyway), but holy loving poo poo, meetings have end times for a reason, and some questions can wait. :mad:

edit: For the record, I would be willing to stay overtime in a meeting if the meaning of life were actually being explained, this is merely an example

This is why you always make an excuse in the last 5-10 minutes of the meeting. "Hey I have to call a client/work with an end user, gotta drop off sorry" then disconnect. Hasn't failed me yet, I don't even give them time to reply or make an excuse to keep me on - especially if it's some mundane bullshit that has no bearing on me/my job.

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 15:55 on Apr 5, 2023

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I don't have excuses like that less than a week after the start of a new job, unfortunately.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

BOOTY-ADE posted:

This is why you always make an excuse in the last 5-10 minutes of the meeting. "Hey I have to call a client/work with an end user, gotta drop off sorry" then disconnect. Hasn't failed me yet, I don't even give them time to reply or make an excuse to keep me on - especially if it's some mundane bullshit that has no bearing on me/my job.

"Gonna have to put a pin in this, just poo poo my pants" d/c

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Why even make an excuse? Just leave.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
My work has recently moved to three days on site rather than two which was the norm for the last many months. So far the head has been out of office for one and a half of the three "anchor" days in the office and the second has been out for one of three this week.

Why am I here? What is the point? You are only making me want to quit.

If you are going to proclaim three anchor days, lead by example and actually show up.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Indolent Bastard posted:

My work has recently moved to three days on site rather than two which was the norm for the last many months. So far the head has been out of office for one and a half of the three "anchor" days in the office and the second has been out for one of three this week.

If you are going to proclaim three anchor days, lead by example and actually show up.

I know it’s hard for lesser employees to understand but the stress and high level decisions that upper management makes are so much more impactful and important overall than the less skilled jobs below them that even though physically they are there less hours the hours they are there in office actually count more than someone in your position.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Indolent Bastard posted:

Definitely quit. Husband's company started pulling that poo poo (right down to his boss not bothering to show up himself after telling everyone they have to be in the office 3 days a week), so he loving quit and got a job with a different company that lets him work fully remote instead.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
If you are going to walk at a snail's pace, please move to the right and don't walk down the middle of the loving hallway.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

What about those fuckers who would be easy enough to pass except they sway back and forth with each slow-rear end step? Hate them. Are you a pendulum? A Weebl? Part penguin?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

YeahTubaMike posted:

I don't have excuses like that less than a week after the start of a new job, unfortunately.

You have training to do.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I know this is probably old ground, but "reaction" videos are different than what I thought they were. I guess I've been seeing occasionally this side-by-side set of videos, one that is funny or confusing and the other that shows some person uhhh... laughing at it or being frustrated by it. What upsets me so much about this is that I didn't know that the reaction video was added on afterward; I thought all these videos were made together, by the same person. So it's an already funny video, or a video that already has some kind of premise, and someone crams their stupid face next to it so I can see how they react? Why is THAT the version being shared? It's the same loving video just with an added person reacting to it. It's like adding a loving laugh track to a show that doesn't need it. It objectively makes the video worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Now you need to film a reaction video of you reacting to reaction videos.