Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

So my friend pulled this galaxy foil shock land from a collector booster and since I'm playing a blue-green merfolk commander deck he wanted to find a way to get it to me, which we eventually did, and now it is mine! I feel like I need to buy a cheaper version to actually play with because this one's pretty darn expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Ariong posted:

However, very rarely, there will be a card that is all this and more. Sometimes there is a card with beautiful art, that tells a compelling story all its own, while also having an effect which is both singularly powerful and captivatingly creative. These cards, when they come to be, find themselves forever enshrined in the halls of MtG legend. These are the cards which every Magic player is familiar with, the cards that have forever changed the course of the game and made their mark on history.

Quoting this old post because a new contender this applies to has been found.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That card seems good but with all the power creep over the years I half expect someone to be like no it's loving garbage. Is that freyja? Who is inga and esika

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
it's Inga Rune-Eyes and Esika, God of the Tree, riding Esika's Chariot(which is pulled by two fluffy kitties), on the Prismatic Bridge

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Convincing cats to pull a chariot is more godlike than any magic spell

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Quoting this old post because a new contender this applies to has been found.

Is this a real card? Because if so, I thunk I just found out how to get my wife to try Commander.

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

What I love about that card is that it's so far outside Wayne Reynolds usual art, but still instantly recognizable as his style.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

In the most recent set, March of the Machines, the (new) phyrexians have started up the mutiversal invasion in earnest and thus we got a bunch of cards about planes that were mentioned in passing, planechase cards without any/many accompanying cards, or in the case of Fiora was the setting for novels.

Segovia is a plane based on one joke
They released a card named segovian leviathan, the first creature with leviathan in the typeline, but it was 3/3, where most other leviathans released since are toughness 6+, implying its not really all that big. In fact the fist leviathan released after this card, eater of days, was a massive 9/8

So the team joked that everything in segovia is actually tiny.

MOM comes around and they released (will release) Invasion of Segovia, part of the new Battle cards mechanic.

1/1 krakens

Thats a normal phyrexian foot stepping onto the sea bed there.
Then when it transforms it becomes a 3/3 :v:

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 19:11 on Apr 1, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The tilt shift drawn into the angel art is really clever.

Randalor posted:

Is this a real card? Because if so, I thunk I just found out how to get my wife to try Commander.

Yes. The new set coming out in a couple of months is full of team-up cards of established characters.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Comes out in three weeks actually!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Scryfall’s homepage has a gag for April fools: https://scryfall.com

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

My favourite MTG

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
cum gutters got a goblin acting up

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rigged Death Trap posted:

In the most recent set, March of the Machines, the (new) phyrexians have started up the mutiversal invasion in earnest and thus we got a bunch of cards about planes that were mentioned in passing, planechase cards without any/many accompanying cards, or in the case of Fiora was the setting for novels.

Segovia is a plane based on one joke
They released a card named segovian leviathan, the first creature with leviathan in the typeline, but it was 3/3, where most other leviathans released since are toughness 6+, implying its not really all that big. In fact the fist leviathan released after this card, eater of days, was a massive 9/8

So the team joked that everything in segovia is actually tiny.

MOM comes around and they released (will release) Invasion of Segovia, part of the new Battle cards mechanic.

1/1 krakens

Thats a normal phyrexian foot stepping onto the sea bed there.
Then when it transforms it becomes a 3/3 :v:
I want to note that planeswalkers that go to segovia shrink to appropriate size, but nothing else does. So how would segovia fend off an invading horde of phyrexian foot soldiers?

Because phyrexia judged it to be an insanely trivial place to conquer due to its size, they sent a whole two entire basic foot soldiers to take the entire plane over, which you can see getting swarmed to death by tiny leviathans in the card art.

It rules

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Not sure how I feel about the outcome of the New Phyrexia invasion. On the one hand, it's kinda lame that after all the buildup and the very well-done characterization of New Phyrexia as a truly existential threat, they got beaten back on basically every plane. Like...

Really? They couldn't even take Moag? Moag was too much for the Phyrexians?

On the other hand, I do really like the idea of the invasion faltering because the Phyrexians, paragons of unity, had so much trouble coping with the sheer variety found on the planes. Whatever made each plane unique, that was what turned the tides on that plane. The Phyrexians just could not fathom that the thing which made a given plane different from New Phyrexia, which to them is the worst thing possible, might be a boon.

(Translation: Awaken the Maelstrom)

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

now imagining the entire of Seagovia just covered in planeswalker clothing and weapons

Gideon planeswalks in stark naked

"Segovia?"
"fuckin Segovia..."

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

On the one hand, I'm sad that the massive multi-planar war collapsed so quickly, on the other hand, it makes perfect sense that the threat that normally is a slow corruption that takes decades if not centuries to corrupt a world would fail when it comes to outright warfare, and by all accounts, New Phyrexia was even more of a cult than an army than old Phyrexia was (then again, old Phyrexia was rules by a bioterrorist who understood the value of a good engineered plague or 10).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new phyrexia was supported by 10% glistening oil and 90% their own farts. once it came to actual altercations outside of their safety net, they crumbled easily.

plus, teferi was involved, and he always pulls something out of his rear end to save the day

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

My pet theory is they spread themself too thin, invading all the planes all at once.
Elesh norn and the invasion died for her pride and hubris.

Plus Teferi pulled some infinity wars bullshit

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 04:48 on Apr 2, 2023

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Captain Invictus posted:

new phyrexia was supported by 10% glistening oil and 90% their own farts. once it came to actual altercations outside of their safety net, they crumbled easily.

plus, teferi was involved, and he always pulls something out of his rear end to save the day

The plot of magic is so status quo centric, the last time something actually changed was when urza died.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
How did he die? Didn't draw any lands?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
got in a fistfight with his own kid and got his dang head chopped off

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Decapitated in a fistfight? Fuckin' harsh.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

No, he survived having his head chopped off. It was being the focal point for Dominaria's largest nuke amd then his remains merging with Karn that did him in.

Though I think technically the last time the status quo really changed was Time Spiral block, when they changed planeswalkers from being god-like immortals to really powerful wizards that can nip over to the next plane over for a pint of milk. Either that, or the time where we had some sets that had gently caress-all to do with Dominaria and planeswalkers, and was just neat, flavorful sets set in interesting planes.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I used to absolutely devour the Magic novels. The original invasion of Dominaria by Phyrexia took literally millennia of plotting, designing units to target specific populations, carefully infiltrating and subverting power structures, and building a whole rear end artificial planet.

Side note: I went through them a while ago and holy gently caress does J. Robert King (who wrote the main Invasion novels) suck at handling female characters. There were some real badass women on the Weatherlight, but the moment he got his hands on them he fridges Hanna. Of course that's nothing compared to how he treats Jeska/Phage/Karona in the Onslaught/Legions/Scourge books - which might be the worst books I've ever tried to read unironically. In general, it seems that Magic novels were very bad at female characters even by late 90s/early 2000s standards. Just an endless conga line of cool women who end up getting killed off to create more drama for the male protagonists, or just because they had no more use for the story. Mirri, Belbe, Rayne, they all got done dirty.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

these are my favourite 4 magic cards

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
if you hadn't also posted that in the other thread you could've kept the joke hidden slightly longer :colbert:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Killing witches who are trying to acquire "fresh children's bones" hardly seems malevolent. Unless it's meant to be from the perspective of the evil witches?

Consolidating creature types definitely made sense from a gameplay perspective, and having "Creature" actually printed on Creature cards is an obvious improvement, but "Creature — Horror" really doesn't pack the same punch that "Summon Mindsucker" did.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

AceClown posted:

drat.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

AceClown posted:

I'll admit it, I didn't get it at first, but after checking the other thread... Bravo good clown, Bravo.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

ANOTHER new dang mana symbol? The gently caress does upside-down triangle mean?

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
The triangle means it's the back of a double-faced card. The front would have a normal mana cost in the top right and some condition that, when fulfilled, transforms the card to the other side.

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 01:06 on Apr 4, 2023

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

AceClown posted:

Ahahaha well played

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

Tiggum posted:

Killing witches who are trying to acquire "fresh children's bones" hardly seems malevolent. Unless it's meant to be from the perspective of the evil witches?

I assumed he wasn't bluffing about having the bones

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Kevin DuBrow posted:

The triangle means it's the back of a double-faced card. The front would have a normal mana cost in the top right and some condition that, when fulfilled, transforms the card to the other side.

huh. how does that work? aren't they insanely obvious if you're holding them in your hand/seeing them in your deck?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

huh. how does that work? aren't they insanely obvious if you're holding them in your hand/seeing them in your deck?

From what I remember from older sets there are kinda like token cards that just have a bunch of names of double faced cards and their mana cost on them, with a regular back. You tick one of the names it's meant to represent and use that in your deck/hand, but then when you play it you put in the actual double faced card from outside the game.

E:
Like this:

Taeke has a new favorite as of 10:36 on Apr 4, 2023

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Yeah, the marker cards are what you use if you don't have opaque sleeves.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Even with opaque sleeves I'd use the marker card and have the double sided card in a clear sleeve because otherwise you'd have to take it out of the sleeve to flip it.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Yeah. I play Delver of Secrets in Pauper. I have tokens in the sleeve, then separate copies in clear sleeves in the deck box that I pull out when I actually play them.

The story of the Delver of Secrets actually spans across multiple expansions set in the Innistrad world:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Skios posted:

The story of the Delver of Secrets actually spans across multiple expansions set in the Innistrad world:

The story of Delver of Secrets actually spans across multiple Legacy Banned and Restricted announcements.