Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/TheDreadShips/status/1641182160399880193?s=20

Looks at cabinet with all the coffee cups and the 3 I use during the week: Yeah, I think I should get this one

You can't distinguish its outline against the horizon in a naval engagement, definitely need it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/travisakers/status/1641423794941341696?t=KGW7o_nVKeGfQMmvRjLJuw&s=19

No, not a great idea Big Navy. Hire people like me, a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, or other actual therapists not more Chaps

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

orange juche posted:

You can't distinguish its outline against the horizon in a naval engagement, definitely need it

I think this is the pattern that’s meant to gently caress with AOB estimations. It’s good, but the handle needs to be camouflaged in order for it to be worth it imo

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/TheDreadShips/status/1641182160399880193?s=20

Looks at cabinet with all the coffee cups and the 3 I use during the week: Yeah, I think I should get this one

You can quickly filter who is and isn't worth talking to by tracking who thinks it's Evangelion merch

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

:( I thought it was Beetlejuice netherworld swag

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

shame on an IGA posted:

You can quickly filter who is and isn't worth talking to by tracking who thinks it's Evangelion merch

Yo this is a weeb safe space

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/travisakers/status/1641423794941341696?t=KGW7o_nVKeGfQMmvRjLJuw&s=19

No, not a great idea Big Navy. Hire people like me, a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, or other actual therapists not more Chaps

It should be a requirement for military chaplains to also be an LPC or LCSW, or equivalent.

While I'm wishing, I'd like a pony.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Conversely I almost never heard of the Wayne E. Meyer referred to as just "Meyer" around the strike group, but maybe that's because it's fun to say "Waney Meyer" a lot. IDK how it is on board the actual ship.

The Chung-Hoon is another one I always see folks use the full name for, never the Chung or the Hoon. I think its also a fun name to say unless you call it Chungus Hoon over guard during an exercise.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I'm beginning to suspect that we, as a country, might just suck at coming up with original names for things.

I low key hope they keep using early frigate names from the Revolution/Age of Sail US Navy, they have some cool ones there, though maybe Confederate and Insurgent might not fly today...

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I think if you're going to name a ship after a person, it should be a person who served on that type of ship. Jimmy Carter gets a submarine, George HW Bush gets an aircraft carrier, that all makes sense. No naval service, no ship named after you, you can get your name on a barracks or a swimming pool or something.

e: and the assorted John McCains just get one of everything.

Nixon gets a T-AGOS and Trump can get a prison barge.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 31, 2023

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
At least the Latin motto for the USS Trump would be easy: NON COLLUSIO

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It should be a requirement for military chaplains to also be an LPC or LCSW, or equivalent.

While I'm wishing, I'd like a pony.

there's no problems sailors have that can't be solved by christian prayer and worship, as proven by my old unit, where there was a suicide every six months for a couple years

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

maffew buildings posted:

there's no problems sailors have that can't be solved by christian prayer and worship, as proven by my old unit, where there was a suicide every six months for a couple years

Jesus is always the answer when there's no funding for anything else. :downs:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The last major command I was at had Chaps speak during each weekly staff call. My first week there, his 10 of his 15 minutes of allotted time was dedicated to fawning over Ronald Regan. Basically told me everything I needed to know about him. Three months later, we had a suicide that caused a massive shitstorm.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I knew one good chaps and served as honors boatswain for his retirement. He didn’t care if people were atheist. He just genuinely cared. He was enlisted in the army for a decade before becoming a navy chap. He was being force retired for old age. Chill dude.

Most of the rest were useless.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
When I was in training we had 2 chaplains who worked around the training squadrons. One was a young guy who'd just joined a couple years prior and was awesome. He'd bring in pizza each week and made an effort to get to know the people he'd be working with, making sure to stress that he didn't care about what faith people practiced as long as they knew he was always there to talk about any issues that may come up in their lives.

The other was an 0-4 dude who was super awkward, he only came out a few times to the squadron and one time in casual conversation insinuated gay people don't go to heaven. :psyduck:

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
We had an RP that convinced the chaplain that no one liked him and he ended up moving his office to aft steering.

There's also the story of The Dead Man living in my berthing but that's a whole different thing

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Flyinglemur posted:

There's also the story of The Dead Man living in my berthing but that's a whole different thing

:justpost:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Flyinglemur posted:

Mudd?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I remember when we were surface transiting from Guam we had a Chap embarked, kinda felt bad for the dude since most of the crew were actively hostile towards him. Dude sat on crew's mess all day, and if you walked in he'd ask you where you were from, and try to start a conversation about your city's various sports teams, so crew's mess was just empty because we wanted to watch music videos and play Euchre, not talk to the Navy's pathetic attempt at mental health care.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
For crab dad: https://youtu.be/s5qi3IooOVI

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Everything I strive for.
Art imitating life I passed weigh-in by 1% body fat because apparently I shrunk an inch.
However I got a head full of luxurious skunk striped hair.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
A true work of art and wonder. A chiefs reaction to it immediately tells you if they're good or bad.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Crab Dad posted:

Everything I strive for.
Art imitating life I passed weigh-in by 1% body fat because apparently I shrunk an inch.
However I got a head full of luxurious skunk striped hair.

Did you make board? I don't remember if you filled us in.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The most damning line is, of course, seven section.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Did you make board? I don't remember if you filled us in.

Nah they haven’t released reserve test scores yet for eligibility.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Crab Dad posted:

Nah they haven’t released reserve test scores yet for eligibility.

Ah thought you said they were coming out yesterday.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Ah thought you said they were coming out yesterday.

I thought so too but I was wrong.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Nick Soapdish posted:

I'm amazed how much of what E-6+ are supposed to do should be done by an LCSW. Workplace disputes? Degraded performance at work due to personal life issues? Behavioral problems? We're ham fisted brutes compared to actual professionals. The service sponsors TA and degree plans for all kinds of international relations/operations/sTrAteGy degrees, MSW should totally be on the table.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Topical https://thehill.com/policy/defense/3928620-9th-navy-sailor-assigned-to-coastal-virginia-dies-by-suicide-in-little-over-a-year/

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

For fucks sake take care of your drat sailors and stop working them to death.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
The quote from the shipyard, drat.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Dorstein posted:

The quote from the shipyard, drat.

Boilerplate. There are few things shittier than being enlisted in the shipyards.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Boilerplate. There are few things shittier than being enlisted in the shipyards.

CVN73 has has what like 8 suicides in the last 18 months? That's what five years in the yard will do.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

My favorite bit of nihilism from the Navy is: You are not under the Department of Labor, therefore OSHA does not apply to you.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

CVN73 has has what like 8 suicides in the last 18 months? That's what five years in the yard will do.

honest question from someone who does not know: why is being assigned to a ship that is (dry)docked so much worse for mental health than being assigned to one that is at sea? just not getting to do what you signed up to do? career derailed? lots of the posts in this thread are about complaining about being at sea, too.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

pmchem posted:

honest question from someone who does not know: why is being assigned to a ship that is (dry)docked so much worse for mental health than being assigned to one that is at sea? just not getting to do what you signed up to do? career derailed? lots of the posts in this thread are about complaining about being at sea, too.

At sea life sucks but there is a monotonous routine to life that makes time sail. You objectively have purpose because even if you're just doing circles in the in middle of the ocean, you're still actually operating equipment and doing things.

When you're in the yards there is no purpose. You're just constantly grinding at an unobtainable goal. You're trying to repair poo poo that was built before you born with materials that do not exist. All of these repairs might serve a purpose or they might be in vain. Your living conditions are worse than on a ship as the berthing barge will be infested with vermin of all sorts, will likely have been built closer to ww2 than today by a good margin, and there is no incentive to fix anything that is broken because the repairs on the ship are all that matter.

For those that do not own equipment you're mired in never ending training for work you'll never do because you'll move to a new ship before you deploy again. Just insane mundane bureaucracy crushing you from every possible direction with no hope in sight. Your working hours are not reduced because the ship isn't moving. If you're not training, you're stuck chipping and painting topside.

I can't speak about nuclear stuff. I assume it's worse for them.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

pmchem posted:

Civilian yard periods are extremely rushed, with too much to do, not enough resources, and a lot of pressure. Imagine living in your house through a remodel only not as much fun. I'm assuming the Navy has a layer of Navy bullshit on top of that.

Edit: ew gross at least they just want to get us out.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

It is. It was not uncommon, especially during an RCOH, to work longer days than you would at sea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Mr. Nice! posted:

At sea life sucks but there is a monotonous routine to life that makes time sail. You objectively have purpose because even if you're just doing circles in the in middle of the ocean, you're still actually operating equipment and doing things.

When you're in the yards there is no purpose. You're just constantly grinding at an unobtainable goal. You're trying to repair poo poo that was built before you born with materials that do not exist. All of these repairs might serve a purpose or they might be in vain. Your living conditions are worse than on a ship as the berthing barge will be infested with vermin of all sorts, will likely have been built closer to ww2 than today by a good margin, and there is no incentive to fix anything that is broken because the repairs on the ship are all that matter.

For those that do not own equipment you're mired in never ending training for work you'll never do because you'll move to a new ship before you deploy again. Just insane mundane bureaucracy crushing you from every possible direction with no hope in sight. Your working hours are not reduced because the ship isn't moving. If you're not training, you're stuck chipping and painting topside.

It's way way worse for Nukes on submarines because everyone relies on you to do isolations for their equipment so they can do work / file wafs / whatever. So you're basically constantly on call for tags and isolations where any mistake could take a stripe and every loving action requires your sign off. Add to that shitheads in the command structure and Khakis who are angling for an MP/EP and you have conditions that are incredibly high stress without any form of relief. Now add onto all of that a 3 section duty rotation where you basically only get to leave the ship once every 3 days due to support/nuclear evolutions / bullshit and people rightfully go a little batty.

I for example chose to live on our drydocked Submarine for about half of our refit so I could continue to workout and get enough sleeps so that I didn't want to kill others/myself. Eventually I was counseled that my time spent working out on the boat was being noticed by coner chiefs, and not in a good way. I literally got to deal with useless khaki dipshits complaining that I was spending my own personal time working out on the ship because it made some stupid fucks slightly perturbed or something.

Basically being in the shipyard significantly amplifies all of the worse aspects of the Navy while removing just about any form of joy. Suicides by Nuclear watchstanders are pretty regular, with a few taking place every year, and because the Nuke community is so small you oftentimes know or know of the person who has harmed themselves. Generally you also get to hear about the command climate and whatever loving awful situation was cooked up by the chief's mess that foreseeably let to someone killing themselves. Have a fine navy day .

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 3, 2023