Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Triton/Glitch: I feel bad that the two dozen team members of Glitch all had to lose, but it was very sweet to see the Triton guy get a win :unsmith: His partner seemed genuinely so happy for him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I loved Triton's fingerpoke of doom.

Also watching Starchild get destroyed was weirdly uncomfortable. It looked like a dying animal.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

is pepsi ok posted:

I loved Triton's fingerpoke of doom.

Also watching Starchild get destroyed was weirdly uncomfortable. It looked like a dying animal.

It looked like a zombie that kept crawling at its opponent.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The "stopper" fork were still part of Overhaul's lifter. That was still part of their plan to flip Cobalt. Their lifter worked a couple times to self right, but not sure it was really working properly for most of the fight. But really Overhaul is just not a fast enough bot to take on a deadly vertical spinner.

Overhaul is not fast enough nor do I think the driver is good enough to really make much out of a lifter/pincer bot at this level and weight. Especially even the most minimally competent spinners.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
StarChild is such a bizarrely ineffective design. It's basically a full body hammer saw which has almost no power in the 'hammer' function and very little power in the 'saw' aspect, has a really hard time lining up a strike, is really slow to reset for another strike, and most of the time it just plain misses. There's no benefit to any of the 'innovations' they introduced to the design, just down sides.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Some real issues at the moment in scaling up their design, yes. I dunno what sort of power its spinner has because I'm not sure if they've ever really landed a hit. Their biggest setback seems to be getting the right amount of traction to line up a good thwack, which I guess could be an issue of materials? Could they possibly line those wheels with magnets or some poo poo like that?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also it's pretty funny that team Shrederator are still super salty about their previous loss to Riptide. :v:

Shred's career win/loss ratio currently stands at 7:18, it feels like they've been coasting off their win over Tombstone for a long time (and that was pretty much because they were a defacto wedgebot in that fight and won by continually getting under Tombstone and causing it to damage itself) and have never really been a serious contender.

The team's first full body spinner Phrizbee (aka Shrederator, aka The Revolutionist) had a much better track record with a 7:4 win/loss ration but that was way back in the Comedy Central days of the early 00s, it feels like the BattleBots meta continued moving forwards but Shrederator kept clinging to their glory days of 20 years ago and couldn't evolve to keep up with the field

Of course bots like Tombstone also refused to evolve with the field but they're a Giant Nut winner with a 25:10 win/loss ratio and even though the meta is starting to move beyond them they're still highly effective

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I mean team Captain Shredderator is not a good team. But like all the clips of being upset with Riptide are pretty much the same ones that they ran right after the Riptide fight...

Full body spinners just are not great in the current Battlebots, but they can't all be vertical spinners. Every team could build a Biteforce / Endgame clone if the producers would allow them all...

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Posted in the Battlebots Facebook group

Edit: It occurs to me that even though I only saw this today, it was posted on April Fool's day :(

Got my hopes up. Very mean

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 2, 2023

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Weirdly it was only yesterday I watched the Skorpios video where they talked with him and how he'd likely be back at some point. I'd like to think it was real, but yeah, April Fools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuRA3V58k_c

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Of course bots like Tombstone also refused to evolve with the field but they're a Giant Nut winner with a 25:10 win/loss ratio and even though the meta is starting to move beyond them they're still highly effective

Triton is carrying on that torch though

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Aside from the highly effective bit...

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
At some point someone has to try a walker with full body spinner for the weight bonus, which I would think gives it an advantage since it would be less likely to go flying itself.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Qwijib0 posted:

At some point someone has to try a walker with full body spinner for the weight bonus, which I would think gives it an advantage since it would be less likely to go flying itself.

Someone tried that and BattleBots barred it after testing. The thing was kind of terrifying.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Qwijib0 posted:

The shell of a full body spinner is limited to 120lbs. Which is a bonus from the other active weapons weight limit of 80lbs.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Railing Kill posted:

Someone tried that and BattleBots barred it after testing. The thing was kind of terrifying.

Chomp 3.0 will destroy the Battlebox, the arena, and most of Las Vegas in the first-ever out-of-control AI rampage.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PostNouveau posted:

Chomp 3.0 will destroy the Battlebox, the arena, and most of Las Vegas in the first-ever out-of-control AI rampage.

Our only hope is to get the potato gun bot to aim at Chomp 3.0's radome

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Qwijib0 posted:

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 3, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Someone should buy a Boston Dynamics SpotŪ and bolt Captain Shrederator on top of it

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

Our only hope is to get the potato gun bot to aim at Chomp 3.0's radome

Only Ray Billings leading a crack team of Battlebots bad boys can save the day.

PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER
It seems like Triton using belts is a liability. I think Tombstone used a chain, likely for that reason. Maybe they thought it wasn't worth the weight since the gimmick is the biggest weapon. On the other hand maybe having belts allow for a greater degree of slip when contact is made but in practice it seems to just become disengaged with the pully from the shock force.

Not to mention the weird little wheel setup that looks overly complicated. I love innovation but the whole thing feels like a step back from Tombstone, I hope they learn a lot from the season and make adjustments for next time.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Team Triton knows they built a gimmick bot. And they likely put the bot together pretty quick. They spent some time rebuilding Deep Six to be within the weapon rules Battlebots updated because of Deep Six. But then Battlebots denied the Deep Six application anyway... So they made it a horizontal so at least part of the team could still compete.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
This should be a great fight

https://twitter.com/BattleBots/status/1641968730732199936

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yea Sawblaze vs Hydra should be a pretty fun fight.

Sawblaze hasn't had many fights against flipper bots and I question how it will hold up to getting lots of airtime. He always protects that arm from getting any major impacts, so could be the thing to watch for.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Full fightcard for the week!

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

That's actually a pretty good fight card.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

sweet geek swag posted:

That's actually a pretty good fight card.

Yeah I'm stoked for this one. Even the matchups of lower-tier bots are interesting. Not a single fight on there looks boring.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Part of me thinks that due to its weird shape Hydra might have a hard time flipping Sawblaze.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I think sawblaze is super easy to get under, and after that it doesn't matter.

The question is whether or not they can gently caress up Hydra's body panels or flipper arm tip first

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Part of me thinks that due to its weird shape Hydra might have a hard time flipping Sawblaze.

It's gonna come down to that fork low-ground game. I dunno if Hydra could effectively flip Sawblaze if it only gets under the scoop. It's gotta be the whole base

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Well Robogames 2023 is going on this weekend. Can't tell if they are going to be streaming any of the events live. They have Twitch / Youtube / and twitter accounts setup but all they have posted is from their last event in 2018...

But Team Skorpios is bringing an army of bots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMPOm1K7Kts

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ray Billings is also planning on attending RoboGames with his new middleweight bot Mortician. Good to see him back in the driver's seat. :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VONvFITeO0

Note that he's usually wearing safety gloves throughout the video when he's working on the bot but at one point he's using an angle grinder and takes his gloves off halfway through and forgets to put them back on. C'mon man :doh:

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I only had time to watch the first fight before work and let me just say:

Madcatter v. Lockjaw :aaaaa::allears:

Instant classic.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Lockjaw-Madcatter: Great fight, not much else to say. Lockjaw's got some good wins going into the tournament.

Gruff-Malice: You know, I don't think a flamethrower is a viable weapon if that didn't do anything. That just about ideal conditions. Several seconds of just sitting right on the flame and Malice was unscathed.

Doomba-Dragon King: Oh hey it's Red Devil 2. Classic rookie slapfight.

Hypershock-Claw Viper: Oh drat, that looked like the Hypershock of the champions tournament last year.

Free Shipping-Big Dill: Nice to see Big Dill get a win. With so much improvement, it was still looking like they might go winless.

Lucky-Shreddit Bro: lol what a weird knockout

Sawblaze-Hydra: Ohhhhh yeah, Hydra has got the low ground for sure.

Love that Jake Ewert would rather get some more flips in than a knockout win.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The Lockjaw / Madcatter fight is pretty amazing. Crazy Madcatter coming back to life and then dying again.

I was really hoping Sawbalze would have got a solid hit on the hydraulic arm of Hydra, that would probably be a spectacular spot for a bot to hit...

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I was really hoping Sawbalze would have got a solid hit on the hydraulic arm of Hydra, that would probably be a spectacular spot for a bot to hit...

Yeah, this fight wasn't particularly close, but I feel like it was still very tense and engaging because there was always a decent change of the ball bouncing the right way and completely changing the tenor of the match.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I'm watching what I think is tournament 7 (season 8?) ____tantrum____ is the defending champion from the tournament before it

This mad catter guy constantly cutting terrible wrestling promos is pretty funny.

I like the doomba team. The captain just keeps talking about having fun :) Their chainsaw being purely a prop made me burst out laughing

ok the opening of end game v ripperoni in episode 6 is amazing.

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 6, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Poor Shreddit Bro, that team just can't catch a break

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Ref quick-counted Mad Catter :colbert:

Adbot