Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Maybe I’ll have to re-enable vinegar. I preferred 1blocker because vinegar tended to not have chapters and lose my place when swapping devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
It took fourteen generations and a European court order but I think I'm getting one of these next september? The USB-C port, google fi, the global SOS, the privacy poo poo, mocap, actually getting updates after three years... it's kind of added up.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Ihmemies posted:

I mainly want a non-Google phone. Google killed coding competitions and added file amount limits to Gdrive. I don't want to wait what they kill next, I'd rather proactively unplug myself off Google services and products.
The very least you need to get your main email accounts to something else, if you're using Gmail. Getting it locked up due to some ML detection triggering a (false) positive on some ancillary Google service tied to your account is not fun. With what there being zero customer service.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

The very least you need to get your main email accounts to something else, if you're using Gmail. Getting it locked up due to some ML detection triggering a (false) positive on some ancillary Google service tied to your account is not fun. With what there being zero customer service.

I’m using a https://www.iki.fi email address. It is a “forever” email address which will redirect your mail to whatever address I configure it to use. So I’m not married to a @gmail.com address or anything.

I don’t even mind the lighting port since I have an iPad 9 with lighting port.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Cheston posted:

It took fourteen generations and a European court order but I think I'm getting one of these next september? The USB-C port, google fi, the global SOS, the privacy poo poo, mocap, actually getting updates after three years... it's kind of added up.

Embrace Stebe and his one true disciple Timb.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

POCKET CHOMP posted:

holy poo poo guys the iphone 13 is out in finland

Inner Light posted:

Do they have remote money transferring capability and postal mail in Finland

EL BROMANCE posted:

Some context in your post about why you are excited that an old phone is for sale in Finland might have helped. Is it normal that you guys run two years behind or something?

Pretty sure he means it’s on sale, as in has a limited time promotional discount, instead of for sale. Since he’s in Finland I’m assuming English isn’t his primary language, and it makes sense that a non-native speaker might get something like “for sale” and “on sale” mixed up. Also seems the sale being mentioned is only going on in brick & mortar stores in specific cities, so he’s not able to get it at the discount without traveling to do so.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That’s what I would’ve assumed if he didn’t rush in to call everyone idiots.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I just assumed it was an April fools' joke so I kept quiet.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I’m going to die on this hill so I asked chatgpt what “for sale” means:

The term “for sale” refers to an item, product, or property that is available to be purchased by a potential buyer. When something is for sale, it means that the owner or seller is willing to exchange the item for a certain amount of money or other agreed-upon terms of payment. The phrase “for sale” is commonly used in advertising and commerce to indicate that an item is on the market and open to negotiation or purchase.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

I’m going to die on this hill so I asked chatgpt what “for sale” means:

The term “for sale” refers to an item, product, or property that is available to be purchased by a potential buyer. When something is for sale, it means that the owner or seller is willing to exchange the item for a certain amount of money or other agreed-upon terms of payment. The phrase “for sale” is commonly used in advertising and commerce to indicate that an item is on the market and open to negotiation or purchase.

I asked chatgpt what the difference between "on sale" and "for sale" is. Whether you meant "for" or "on" seems largely a moot point now though, so good luck on getting an iPhone at an acceptable price.

Chat GPT posted:

When something is for sale, it means that it is available to be purchased at its regular price.

On the other hand, when something is on sale, it means that it is available to be purchased at a discounted price for a limited time. The discount may be a percentage off the regular price, a set amount off the regular price, or a special package deal that offers more value than usual.

So, the main difference between something being for sale and on sale is that the former refers to the regular price of an item, while the latter refers to a temporary discounted price.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Does the P in Chat GPT stand for "pedantic"?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Ihmemies posted:

Iphones are expensive here. That's why most people have Android phones I suppose. I can't spot a difference between iphone 14 and 13 even with a microscope. They even use the same chip, A15. Cheapest iphone is 940€ and if I could have gotten a 13 for 700€ it would have been a good deal.

Check out Nokia’s offerings

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Inner Light posted:

Check out Nokia’s offerings

Aren’t they rebrands of crappy Chinese phones? Anyways now iPhone 14 is on sale for 799€ in Finland. It was 940€ last week. Maybe I’ll buy that. I don’t know what for I’need any more iPhone than that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ihmemies posted:

Aren’t they rebrands of crappy Chinese phones? Anyways now iPhone 14 is on sale for 799€ in Finland. It was 940€ last week. Maybe I’ll buy that. I don’t know what for I’need any more iPhone than that.

If it’s only 100€ difference I’d just get the 14.

You’ll easily get an extra year out of the phone.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

MarcusSA posted:

If it’s only 100€ difference I’d just get the 14.

You’ll easily get an extra year out of the phone.
Aren't the guts exactly the same?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
CPU definitely. Modem possibly the newer one.

--edit: vvv Dynamic island is Pro only.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 3, 2023

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

American McGay posted:

Aren't the guts exactly the same?

There's some slight differences between the 14 and the 13

6gb RAM vs 4gb RAM
5-core GPU vs 4-core GPU
Emergency SOS via Satellite
Dynamic Island
Action mode (image stabilization)
Comes in Yellow (very important)

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The actual price of an iPhone 13 here 769€ since I couldn't get it at the 699€ discounted price. So 769€ vs 799€ :shrug: I went and bought a iPhone 14 now, black, because my Spigen case will be black. It transferred some data off my iPad first, then I'm doing the move to iOS app thing with data from Android to iPhone. We'll see how it works.

I never thought I'd even think about going Apple, but Android tablet space was so dire I ended up buying the 9th gen iPad. Next Google ends up killing some *more* services I liked so I guess it's just better to de-googlefy everything now :shepspends:

As a bonus my Oneplus 9 Pro was stretching my breast pockets to the limit. Iphone 14 will fit in much easier because it's like 2cm shorter. Also goddamn Oneplus 9 pro has a bad camera. Maybe I should not comapre it to my Lumix S1 & S-Pro lenses but yuck :v: I don't even want to talk about the update situation over at Android/Oneplus side...

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 3, 2023

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The Something Awful Forums>Discussion>Inspect Your Gadgets>iPhone: It won't stretch your breast pocket to the limit

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

How can all switching, loading and scrolling be so much faster. Also feels like apps stay “open” in background forever. I can scroll 20 apps back and it switches instantly. Some apps which took 5+ secs to boot up on Oneplus 9 pro take like 1s on iPhone 14.

Are Android programmers bad, is Oneplus making bad android forks, are Snapdragons slow or what. The difference is incredible.

Alarm clock sucks though and setting your own ringtones is an hilariously bad experience. At least starting from iOS 16 you can see the battery percentage.

Keyboard is nice. It’s not on the bottom of the screen so it’s much nicer to use than gboard.

Charging is quite fast with my Oneplus charger. Not as fast as with Oneplus, but not terrible.

Dynamic island would be nice, but the Pro is too big and too expensive.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 4, 2023

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Ihmemies posted:

Are Android programmers bad, is Oneplus making bad android forks, are Snapdragons slow or what. The difference is incredible.

I don’t think it’s much more complicated than 2 factors + Apple makes both the hardware and an OS designed for that hardware so it’s well optimised, and (maybe more significantly) that app developers on iOS have like a dozen at most different hardware configurations to optimise for, all of which are probably super similar. With Android it’s hundreds of different phones, lots of different forks of Android, whatever weird customisations users have made, etc. I guess it’s the same reason why the same game might run smooth and load fast on a ps5 but run like poo poo on a pc.

And yes coming from Android myself, the ringtone thing is the worst part of moving to iOS by far. That, and not having multiple timers possible.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Really. Well. There are multiple reasons to write a better Clock app already. Swift can’t be that hard. Is there some block by Apple which doesn’t allow apps to implement multiple timers or alarm clocks..?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Ihmemies posted:

Yes.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Apple itself is the blocker, my friend. It’s true almost everywhere there’s dev time involved.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Google has a pretty bad track record of not rolling out obvious feature updates to their apps either. You still can’t mute specific conversations in the Google Voice app on iOS.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Ihmemies posted:

Really. Well. There are multiple reasons to write a better Clock app already. Swift can’t be that hard. Is there some block by Apple which doesn’t allow apps to implement multiple timers or alarm clocks..?
There’s an Apple development thread that will probably instantly refute this but IIRC the way iOS handles background tasks makes custom alarm apps a colossal pain in the rear end

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My favorite part of using Android phones is despite having massive dodecacore CPUs and GPUs they’ll still stutter and lag on basic tasks like “scrolling a webpage”

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

My favorite part of using Android phones is despite having massive dodecacore CPUs and GPUs they’ll still stutter and lag on basic tasks like “scrolling a webpage”

Chrome is, in fact, bad.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

There’s an Apple development thread that will probably instantly refute this but IIRC the way iOS handles background tasks makes custom alarm apps a colossal pain in the rear end

I guess this could be true but why is it great on the watch but not possible on iPad or iPhone?

I mean, other than the obvious answer which is to sell more watches.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

tuyop posted:

I guess this could be true but why is it great on the watch but not possible on iPad or iPhone?

I mean, other than the obvious answer which is to sell more watches.

It’s a separate os with its own thing going on. There’ll be architectural stuff ginned up in 2006 that iOS is probably still having to work around I’m guessing. But also iOS having been a going concern for so long will affect the malleability of some things on the corpo side too.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
[

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Isn't technical debt fun?

Give us Airplay3 with Spotify Connect's handoff features and better crossfade, drat it.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Do you guys get this thing where every once in awhile my phone seems to bug out and crank up notification sounds to speaker distorting levels.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

phosdex posted:

Do you guys get this thing where every once in awhile my phone seems to bug out and crank up notification sounds to speaker distorting levels.

I have that poo poo maxed out so i can hear it through at least two layers of clothing

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Grumbles posted:

I don’t think it’s much more complicated than 2 factors + Apple makes both the hardware and an OS designed for that hardware so it’s well optimised, and (maybe more significantly) that app developers on iOS have like a dozen at most different hardware configurations to optimise for, all of which are probably super similar.

As far as I can tell Apple doesn't give a crap about hardware that is more than 2 years old.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

As far as I can tell Apple doesn't give a crap about hardware that is more than 2 years old.

My seven year old iPhone SE received an iOS update last week.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Arivia posted:

My seven year old iPhone SE received an iOS update last week.

Yeah that's the problem though in my experience at least. Every iPhone I have had including the XR I just upgraded from seems to run increasingly worse with every update.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

phosdex posted:

This has randomly happened to me on every iPhone I've had going back to the 6. Seems to only happen if I'm using the phone at the time, never when it's just sitting in my pocket or desk.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

By comparison my 9 year old macbook air still runs great on the latest OSX update, while my XR which was only 4 years old was increasingly slower and buggier with every update I installed. I don't know if Apple actually plans obsolescence in some mustache twirling way, but I think their care for older hardware users is basically "gently caress em" as they release the new versions of iOS they push out.

I was loving around with my 14 and I was like "wow this is so fast and polished" before I remembered that was exactly how my XR was until about a year ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I never had problems with the latest iOS on my XR 256GB using it last year until I got a new 14 in November.

The weather app is bugging lately though, it seemed to work when I added my location as a favorite as it was showing Cupertino and New York just fine. Erased those and added local cities and it worked although my actual location varied from the favorite of the same.