Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Lol.

16 is still pretty much fine. 32+ is more and more common but not always justified. Future proofing, yada yada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

16 GB is a mid-tier video card.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

credburn posted:

Kenshi is fun but holy hell who has this much RAM?

No amount of ram will make kenshi run great, hopefully the sequel being developed on a real engine helps with that. I generally just play with a small band when I go back to it, limits the loading a bit if you can keep everyone together.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

my desktop has 32GB of ram but it's not for gaming, it's for After Effects

Orv
May 4, 2011
Kenshi, like its predecessors, is a game whose immense and incalculable jank you tolerate in pursuit of the thing at the core of it; not insomuch a game but a genuine story engine.

Of course like the other small handful of games that accomplish this, any story you tell with it makes you sound like a psychopath.

Orv fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 3, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Majority of Steam users have 16GB RAM.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'm in the 12GB crowd. Filled the extra slots with RAM salvaged from my 2006 computer to eke out a bit more performance.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I upgraded my PC recently and I got 2x8GB because I'm not made out of money.
There's still two RAM slots if I ever need an upgrade but I haven't run into any game that required more than 16GB.

Orv
May 4, 2011
There's some stuff that makes use of it but generally most things that want it are kind of nightmarish code wise and greedier than they should be. That's probably set to change with some of the new tech for the newest consoles, though I wouldn't rush out to get 16 more just yet.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

DDR4 prices have been going down since vendors want to push DDR5 and are offloading inventory. If you are doing a new build now you could go for 32GB (2x16) instead of 16GB (2x8) without much of a price difference. If you already have 16, you could get another 2x8 kit to bump up to 32 if you have quad channels.

Some heavily modded games can devour your memory so having 32 can be the difference

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Jack Trades posted:

Majority of Steam users have 16GB RAM.

I'm surprised by how many people have 32 GB! Though I haven't had any (recurring) problems before, I've also upgraded to 32 after ~8 years of having 16 GB. Honestly it's more for when I'm doing things with the PC other than gaming, but I'm sure it won't hurt for gaming either.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I had to go up to 16 because Path of Exile just would not deal with my ancient computer. Honestly these days the main bottleneck is that I still don't have an SSD. Everything takes a million years. This PC has held together since 2014 though bless its little heart!

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I upgraded to a 2x16GB kit but I stuck the old 2x8s in there too so I'm sitting unrepresented at 48GB

super sweet best pal posted:

I'm in the 12GB crowd. Filled the extra slots with RAM salvaged from my 2006 computer to eke out a bit more performance.
This implies that you're using DDR2 :raise:

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I recently pushed to 64GB from 32GB, but only because I've been dabbling in LLMs and Stable Diffusion. They're also the sole reason I bought a 4090. My previous 3080 went into my server / media center / TV PC, along with the 32GB of RAM, leaving me with a spare 16GB kit.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm at 32gb but sometimes a game will push right up against that limit, which is wild to me

Like right now I have discord and firefox and irc open and still it's using 13/32gb of ram

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

HopperUK posted:

Honestly these days the main bottleneck is that I still don't have an SSD. Everything takes a million years.

:kstare:

almost a decade on a plate spinning drive. You could have saved hours, if not days, of your life by upgrading to an ssd

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

HopperUK posted:

I had to go up to 16 because Path of Exile just would not deal with my ancient computer. Honestly these days the main bottleneck is that I still don't have an SSD. Everything takes a million years. This PC has held together since 2014 though bless its little heart!

Oh my god dude, get an SSD already.

They really are a game changer in every sense of the word, I got a 1tb SSD for like $60 3 years ago and what even are "load times" that people speak of?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

How's the Remote Play Together functionality in Wildermyth? Is it just like one person controls a few characters in the party and the other controls the rest? I was looking at Across the Obelisk to play with a friend but realized having only played ~4 hrs of Wildermyth that this might just be a better time in co-op and I already own it and only one of us has to own it to play it.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

explosivo posted:

How's the Remote Play Together functionality in Wildermyth? Is it just like one person controls a few characters in the party and the other controls the rest?

This is how it works in the regular multiplayer, at least. Each party member can be assigned to a specific player who then controls them during battle.

I haven’t tried it with remote play together but a friend and I had a lot of fun doing some coop playthroughs.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Diablo 3 was the game that made me get an SSD over 10 years ago. Difference was night and day, especially for ARPGs with huge reference libraries and randomly called assets.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Snake Maze posted:

This is how it works in the regular multiplayer, at least. Each party member can be assigned to a specific player who then controls them during battle.

I haven’t tried it with remote play together but a friend and I had a lot of fun doing some coop playthroughs.

Sorry yeah i should've just said MP, I assume the remote play together works the same. Good to hear, thanks. Might try to convince a friend to check this out then!

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Don't know if I missed discussion about this or not but:

https://twitter.com/ASUS_ROG/status/1642882143193010176

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drLZxyv79Oo

Windows 11 based.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Get that 16:9 trash outta here

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I like how they're giving out a bunch of specs, but info on battery life "is unavailable".

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

1080p is pointless at 7" lol

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

The 7th Guest posted:

Yeah I'm very happy with the Steam Deck's resolution. No way in hell you're running anything on a handheld at 1080p 120fps with any amount of battery life anyway.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The 7th Guest posted:

It's great marketing for the sort of people who only vaguely understand what 1080p means.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Meant to post that in the Steam Deck thread, whoops. Someone else already did though so it all worked out. Another posting success story!

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

RandomBlue posted:

Don't know if I missed discussion about this or not but:

https://twitter.com/ASUS_ROG/status/1642882143193010176

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drLZxyv79Oo

Windows 11 based.

and it will only cost 999 dollars

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Been a few minutes since we've heard about this, but now it has a trailer, a Steam page, and a loose release date of "Summer": Six Ages 2: Lights Going Out, a continuation of the continuation of the King of Dragon Pass legacy with a mid-apocalypse setting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWTbZYNDWDw

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Cross-Section posted:

and it will only cost 999 dollars

Yeah, concerned about the price but the guy in the preview video says ASUS is very aware that the $400 price point was critical to Steam Deck's success and thinks they'll hit a $600 price point for base model and I agree. Performance and being Windows based are two big pluses for me if battery life doesn't suck poo poo since I'd rather be able to run XBox gamepass games locally versus streaming them under Linux.

Ergonomics don't look great though compared to the steam deck, those edges look uncomfortable.

If base model is ~$600 and you can get about the same amount of play time as the deck then it'll be a strong competitor IMO.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

EA Sports PGA Tour is available to play early as of today for 10 hours if you have gamepass, it seems alright but the performance is chunky and the graphics don't really look like they should be that demanding. I've heard a voice line from one of the commentators that sounded like he literally recorded it from home on his onboard laptop microphone or something. I do enjoy the crowd talking loudly then everyone shutting up once you get ready to hit the ball, that's kinda fun. I might play some more but the performance is all over the place so I might wait to see if they put out a patch or something when the game officially releases friday.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I literally just played this one so it stood out to me.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1642938227018571778

Quantum Break leaving Game Pass despite being a Microsoft published game is interesting. Most probably due to music rights or actor likenesses...

But there's the slim possibility that it opens the door for it to be fully and officially incorporated into Remedy's Weird Fiction Universe they're building instead of just connected by Easter eggs at the moment.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Deakul posted:

Oh my god dude, get an SSD already.

They really are a game changer in every sense of the word, I got a 1tb SSD for like $60 3 years ago and what even are "load times" that people speak of?

I am no dude! But yeah, I know I shoulda done it ages ago. But this is probably the Year Of New PC anyway so my hand will be forced.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the Meat Boy franchise is doing a tile matching puzzle game and they've put a demo of it up today:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2228030/Dr_Fetus_Mean_Meat_Machine/

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I feel like my only response to this is "why would you buy this when actual Puyo Puyo games are on Steam, and more full-featured"

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Meat Boy is a franchise?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Idk. I guess Tommy Refenes stuck with it, I think Ed hasnt been involved with anything meat boy related since 2014. There was some game called Super Meat Boy Forever that came out a few years back that a lot of people seemed to not like.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 3, 2023

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

HopperUK posted:

I am no dude! But yeah, I know I shoulda done it ages ago. But this is probably the Year Of New PC anyway so my hand will be forced.

Tbh I think it's perfectly fine to not have an SSD. You turn your PC on as normal and while it's starting up you just do whatever for a little bit. Rewind some tapes, call your friends house and ask their mum if theyre around and can come cycle to the park and throw rocks at that tree that got hit by lightning a few years back, go play in a storm drain, that sort of thing. Then when you're done you come home, exit the screensaver, log in to windows 95, chuck the command and conquer 1 play cd into your gaming rig, make sure the turbo mode button is pressed even though you're not quite sure what it does, and off you go. I challenge any SSD cultist to point out a single observable difference between this experience and theirs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

No Wave posted:

Idk. I guess Tommy Refenes stuck with it, I think Ed hasnt been involved with anything meat boy related since 2014. There was some game called Super Meat Boy Forever that came out a few years back that a lot of people seemed to not like.

it was a proc gen one button autorunner which seems about as far from the original as you can go while still staying a platformer