Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

coconono posted:

A fight stick that could run that one popular online fighting game dealie would be interesting to me.

I'm curious, you referring to Fightcade or something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Miyoo Mini + just arrived from KeepRetro. Big improvement in holdability for me! I got the retro colored one.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Steam Deck got a custom chip because they can put down the down payment for a very large volume though.

I don't see any console price around $800 that can get high enough volume for that. Steam also made many failed hardware before they have a successful hardware. This console thing is hard.

Let's say you want to make a $600-800 window based console successful, only Sony or MS have the brand clout to push it.

Valve can also cover any hardware losses through software sales which no other manufacturer can.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

pbpancho posted:

Miyoo Mini + just arrived from KeepRetro. Big improvement in holdability for me! I got the retro colored one.

Mine just came as well.

Slightly annoyed it won’t charge off the 65W usb charger next to my bed though. Everything else charges just fine though it.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
How does the RG35xx compare to the Miyoo Mini+? It's available and similarly priced.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

mariooncrack posted:

How does the RG35xx compare to the Miyoo Mini+? It's available and similarly priced.

The D-pad on my RG35XX kind of sucks, marginally less with an aftermarket set of buttons but it's kind of soured me on the whole device.

My first gen Miyoo Mini (not plus) has no issues with the inputs other than it being too small for me to play for long periods of time

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

mariooncrack posted:

Slightly bigger, no wifi, roughly equal power.

Also the Logitech G Cloud is down to $250 lol. Still too much.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

When it hits $99 I am gonna buy one.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
G cloud should be the same price as Odin Lite. So thry are getting there.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

coconono posted:

A fight stick that could run that one popular online fighting game dealie would be interesting to me.
There are definitely small low power x86 boards that would be enough to run all the old CPS2 and Neo Geo fightcade games that you could also fit inside an arcade stick housing, but no one has done it so far.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

G cloud should be the same price as Odin Lite. So thry are getting there.

Also that Abxylute handheld that’s on IGG now.

E: Judging from Twitter both Russ and Phawx have ROG Ally's too, they really are going hard with this thing. Weird since it'll probably be twice the price and have half the battery life.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 4, 2023

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Manky posted:

I'm curious, you referring to Fightcade or something else?

Yeah fightcade. Seemed pretty neat when I played around with it. A full on hardware implementation would be cool

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
LTT got hands-on a ROG Ally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9a3oAiN2ik

This april fools joke rabbit hole just keeps getting deeper and deeper.

edit:

So it's definitely using an AMD chip. Like I said before, probably paying AMD for the privilege of an exclusive bin.

edit edit: cannot wait for asymmetrical Thunderbolt.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 4, 2023

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It’s real, it’s gonna be fancy, expensive and have a short battery life.

I bet it won’t compete with the deck’s market but it’s probably going to wreck handheld PC’s from lesser known companies.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah if it takes off even slightly (and sells in territories the Steam Deck doesn't) it basically nukes Ayaneo and OneXPlayer out of the high end space. Though at a certain point I agree with people who've been saying for the love of god just get a 4050/4060 gaming laptop if you're going to drop high 3-figures/low 4-figures on a handheld PC.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

Though at a certain point I agree with people who've been saying for the love of god just get a 4050/4060 gaming laptop if you're going to drop high 3-figures/low 4-figures on a handheld PC.

It’s not the same thing though.

It’s like someone saying they want a fancy motorcycle and everyone is just like “get a car”

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Taking my laptop with me on my morning train to play a little Spider-Man and God of War.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
This new amd chip is made in the most advanced 4nm process, compared to Deck's slightly cheaper 7nm process. I really doubt it will sell for less than an iphone 14/Samsung S22.

Although I am not saying there is no market for it. I think it's cooler looking than the Deck some will want to show it off outside like a convertible race car.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Apr 4, 2023

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Got my GPD Win 4. It's pretty much my dream console from when I was a teenager but gently caress I think my eyes are getting too old to handle Windows on a 1080p 6 inch screen.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hot Stunt posted:

Got my GPD Win 4. It's pretty much my dream console from when I was a teenager but gently caress I think my eyes are getting too old to handle Windows on a 1080p 6 inch screen.

Yeah just use scaling and bump it up to like 200%

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

stephenthinkpad posted:

This new amd chip is made in the most advanced 4nm process, compared to Deck's slightly cheaper 7nm process. I really doubt it will sell for less than an iphone 14/Samsung S22.

There is a post on the GamingLeaksAndRumors subreddit that says the 512GB model is going to be $650 and Microsoft is involved with promotion.

https://reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/12b7fjx/rog_ally_features_and_pricing/

Obviously this is just a random post and who knows if it is accurate. If they can hit that kind of price I think it will do alright.

The biggest knock against the post is that they say Sony is working on a new handheld.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If Microsoft is throwing its weight behind it to try and cut SteamOS off at the legs that’d be both very funny and also the best thing for Asus. If it hits the same price as the Deck because Microsoft thinks it can generate some Game Pass subs it might have a chance.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m obviously going to buy this asus thing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I do have to say though the 10 inch screen on my GPD win max 2 at 1600p is really nice.

Not very many games can play well at that resolution though lol.

It does have a 40hz mode though.

Shouldn’t a 120hz screen have a 40hz mode? Consoles can do 40fps but only on 120hz screens.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
If you can get a clean 40fps lock ingame you should still look good on a 120hz display as it divides into it, yeah.

I'm seeing some people saying it's a VRR display which would be very interesting and would hopefully have a nice wide range.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah people who've gotten preview units have said it's a Freesync display so 40hz no problem.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

you can plug a keyboard and mouse into the asus thing and use it like a normal computer, right?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Presumably, and use it with Asus' proprietary eGPUs that are just laptop GPUs in a box.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

could I also get ram in a box and a cpu in a box and an i/o in a box and construct an entire computer of boxes daisy chained together?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yes.

Also that GPU connector looks dumb AF.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

looks rock solid, but is it heart touching?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

doctorfrog posted:

looks rock solid, but is it heart touching?

no, it is merely inspiring innovation, persisting perfection

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Voice of Labor posted:

could I also get ram in a box and a cpu in a box and an i/o in a box and construct an entire computer of boxes daisy chained together?

1. Cut a hole in the box
2. Put your RAM in that box

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Just figured out that it is possible to get Amiga 800 emulation working on the 280v; Simplemenu doesn't have a section for it so you have to launch Retroarch directly and load the Amiga800 core which is assigned to Amiga 5200 by default. Then, despite that Retroarch will detect the BIOS, the emulator itself won't until you try to load an .atr, get the error message, then hit R, go into Emulator Configuration > System ROM Settings > 400/800 OS ROM Locations, then if you're going the NTSC route you need to assign ATARIOSB.ROM to "Custom" because it will never, for some reason, register the checksum correctly. Then also set the default ROM folder manually while you're in there, any other default paths you want to fix, and save the config exactly once because if you try to save it again it'll corrupt itself. (It populates straight to the Home directory if you need to delete it and start over.)

You also can't really use savestates with it because those are baked into the emulator rather than at the RA level despite it being a core and it requires you to type out savestate names manually but doesn't offer a virtual keyboard. But most stuff runs quite well!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Just figured out that it is possible to get Amiga 800 emulation working on the 280v

Dropping a word of appreciation on seeing your occasional posts trying to get the most out of this device. When so many are chasing the dragon of upgrades, always seeking the hottest new thing that will run stuff just slightly better, you keep pulling your own to do stuff it wasn't known for. That is pretty cool.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Just figured out that it is possible to get Amiga 800 emulation working on the 280v; Simplemenu doesn't have a section for it so you have to launch Retroarch directly and load the Amiga800 core which is assigned to Amiga 5200 by default. Then, despite that Retroarch will detect the BIOS, the emulator itself won't until you try to load an .atr, get the error message, then hit R, go into Emulator Configuration > System ROM Settings > 400/800 OS ROM Locations, then if you're going the NTSC route you need to assign ATARIOSB.ROM to "Custom" because it will never, for some reason, register the checksum correctly. Then also set the default ROM folder manually while you're in there, any other default paths you want to fix, and save the config exactly once because if you try to save it again it'll corrupt itself. (It populates straight to the Home directory if you need to delete it and start over.)

You also can't really use savestates with it because those are baked into the emulator rather than at the RA level despite it being a core and it requires you to type out savestate names manually but doesn't offer a virtual keyboard. But most stuff runs quite well!

I think every Amiga you dropped meant Atari.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Oh, definitively. There's no Amiga 800 or Amiga 5200. Those are all Atari devices.

Amiga is the computer line from Commodore.

Funny thing is while reading that post my brain automatically corrected it from just seeing the numbers.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Saoshyant posted:

Oh, definitively. There's no Amiga 800 or Amiga 5200. Those are all Atari devices.

Amiga is the computer line from Commodore.

Funny thing is while reading that post my brain automatically corrected it from just seeing the numbers.

Oh thank God it's not just me, gently caress

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Whoops, I guess that's what I get for staying up until 3 AM on this stuff.

Saoshyant posted:

Dropping a word of appreciation on seeing your occasional posts trying to get the most out of this device. When so many are chasing the dragon of upgrades, always seeking the hottest new thing that will run stuff just slightly better, you keep pulling your own to do stuff it wasn't known for. That is pretty cool.

Hey, thanks. I'd probably have gotten a 353M if it were just that little bit more powerful (or cheaper), 353V if it had the hall effect sticks, or the 405 if it supported Linux. Meanwhile though, I've always believed in squeezing the most use feasible out of aging-spec devices. Probably comes from growing up on welfare. :v: And the 280 is a particularly unique case in that it for some reason comes loaded with this swath of extra emulators outside of what's indicated by Simplemenu, which may or may not work for various reasons. And then there's the source ports you need to get from elsewhere that might be several years out of date and broken.

Stuff that needs notable tinkering, but works:
  • A800 - See above configuration process; some games run, some just won't.
  • Sharp X1
  • PC-88
  • Cosmo Engine
  • Liero
  • Cave Story/NXengine - Your choice between downloading an older standalone version, or configuring the included but half-hidden RA core.
  • Descent 1 Rebirth - And 2, kind of, but cutscenes don't scale properly and there aren't really enough buttons.
  • Duke Nukem 3D - But the aiming is really wonky.
  • OutRun/CannonBall - Works great, even supports rumble, but you basically need to follow the install process on a higher-end machine to actually get some of the proprietary files RA creates and figure out how it needs the roms organized.
  • Flashback/REminiscence - The included RA core almost works but not quite. If you grab the standalone version, it needs seemingly all the data files from both the DOS and Amiga releases to work.
  • Heretic, Hexen, and Strife via Chocolate Doom - Heretic doesn't play sound for some reason. Strife works, complete with voice packs, but you might be hurting for button mappings.
  • Pico-8 - Via Fake-08 in the experimental CFW builds. Still a far cry from native, but a definite improvement over TAC08 or Retro8.
  • OpenLara - Works best with the PSX data/audio files, but PC video files.
  • Jump'n'Bump - It's even possible to get P1 on d-pad and P2 on ABXY.
Stuff I'm unsure of insofar:
  • OpenXcom CE - It's ALMOST perfect, supports mods and everything, but has a constant drifting cursor problem. Which is fascinating for a device with no joysticks.
  • Apple IIGS - Seems to register gamepad but not mouse input, and needs you to configure display colors to run almost anything. Catch-22.
  • PC-98 - Text seems broken, input isn't registered in 99% of cases, but somehow Thexder works perfectly despite all this. Thexder and nothing else. :iiam:
  • Sharp X68000 - Apparently needs its BIOS files in a weird place, but regardless of where I put them I can't get RA to detect them.
  • Dragon's Lair and other laserdisc games via Daphne - I have no idea why Simplemenu even lists this. Getting Daphne to work makes getting MAME to work look like flipping a lightswitch by comparison. I'm uncertain it's even possible.
  • Heart of the Alien/AW/OOTW - Source port sort-of works but is so unstable it'll reboot the whole system if you press the wrong button.
  • The FFPlay app for MP4 videos - It works on OFW but not CFW. Might be possible to get it working again with a recompile, but that's run me into multiple dead ends.

While I'm at it, here's the process to get OutRun, Cave Story, and other single-core games populated into Simplemenu:
  • Go into Home/.simplemenu/games and note the retroarch.fgl that's already there; these are shortcut files, and that one is what makes Retroarch show up in Simplemenu. You could try moving it and its associated thumbnail into the apps folder instead, if that tickles your fancy.
  • Create a new document in the same format, e.g.:

quote:

title=Cave Story
    description=Cave Story on RA with NXengine core
    exec=/media/sdcard/roms/CAVESTORY/Doukutsu.exe
    editable=false
    (Assuming this is where you've extracted the game files. That's the default place this core will want to look.)
  • Save it as, e.g. cavestory.fgl (this is just for identification, the "title" line is what it'll show as in Simplemenu)
  • Open up Home/.simplemenu/section_groups/apps and games.ini; you need to append the corresponding RA core for each standalone shortcut you're making, to the list of "execs". For instance:

quote:

[GAMES]
    execs = #,/media/data/apps/retroarch_rg350_CAVESTORY.opk,/media/data/apps/retroarch_rg350_JUMPNBUMP.opk,/media/data/apps/retroarch_rg350_OUTRUN.opk,/media/data/apps/retroarch_rg350_XRICK.opk
    Note that you must keep the # at the start of that list; it's what allows everything else to run without an associated core.
  • Reboot or relaunch Simplemenu to make sure this has all taken effect, then press Select on your new shortcuts and set them to launch with their respective cores.
  • For bonus points, add thumbnails to the .previews folder; they need to have the same name as the target file the shortcut points to, e.g. Doukutsu.png. Have fun!

Also I highly recommend Prince of Persia 1 and 2 for DOS if you grab the standalone Dosbox from RGC's site; they both run really well, don't particularly need custom keymaps, and are easily among the best versions of both games. If I ever get a higher-end device I think the first thing I'm going to do is see what the increased overhead allows Dosbox to run, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Just discovered Simplemenu has theme assets for the A800 and NGPC all ready and waiting to go, but they were removed from the system categories in the .ini files for some reason. :psyduck: Handy to have, though!

e: TG16 and TGCD, too, if you prefer those over the PCE and PCE-CD defaults. Perplexingly, no Mega Drive variant despite the folder defaulting to "MD".

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 7, 2023