Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Harlock posted:

I know it's not a basketball, but confirmed the 9th Doctor can hoop.
White men can't jump. :colbert:

[Skips forward a few regenerations]

Okay, you got me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
FINALLY! Something good from Big Finish!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wasn't there a thing years ago where British Rail got Tom Baker to record a bunch of specific syllables etc and set up a voice thing where you could make him say anything as part of some odd marketing campaign? Then they took it down very quickly because of course people abused the poo poo out of it?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
BT (British Telecom, the people who run phones) had a text to voice generator so you could text landlines and it would read out the message. They did it with Tom Baker’s voice for 3 months. That was 2006! :stare:

quote:

BT has scrapped the computerized voice the company had been using for the system, and replaced it with the voice of Tom Baker of Dr. Who fame. Baker spent 11 days recording nearly 12,000 words and sounds, which were then processed by BT engineers for five months in order to be usable by the text-to-speech system.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's so crazy, especially the hidden story for why they eventually had to take it down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjCe766Y8mw&t=195s

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jerusalem posted:

That's so crazy, especially the hidden story for why they eventually had to take it down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjCe766Y8mw&t=195s

Still not gotten to Face of Evil yet in our random run through. There's 7 left!

(Abominable Snowmen, The Daemons, Carnival of Monsters, Image of the Fendahl, Caves and Survival on top of Face)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

So there's a library of Tom Baker Noises they could potentially use to keep churning out audios with him after he passes...

...actually, same goes for the entire Big Finish range, doesn't it? Imagine running every scrap of Doctor Who audio from the past 60 years through a voice replicator

Wonder if he'll give consent like James Earl Jones did, or if there's a new line in his contract that says all ur voice r belong to us hastily written in with crayon

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’d like to imagine the Tom Baker Maker is better now, it wasn’t amazing back in 2006.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1642119626485030912

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 1, 2023

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

The_Doctor posted:

I’d like to imagine the Tom Baker Maker is better now, it wasn’t amazing back in 2006.

I'm highly opposed to building voicebots of actors on ideological grounds, but for meme purposes, even the free utilities you can get on the internet sound pretty uncanny. They struggle with different emotions but sound pretty close even with small samples, and God knows how many hours of recordings anybody working at Big Finish has produced.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Still not gotten to Face of Evil yet in our random run through. There's 7 left!

(Abominable Snowmen, The Daemons, Carnival of Monsters, Image of the Fendahl, Caves and Survival on top of Face)

That's not a bad run to finish out on!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

That's not a bad run to finish out on!

Will Survival be last? Hope so

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Will Survival be last? Hope so

You can make it be last!

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning..." :unsmith:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

You can make it be last!

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning..." :unsmith:

That would be against the spirit of it!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Finishing on Caves would be pretty great because you get to watch an incredible story AND your whole run through the series ends with Colin Baker going :smug:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1642913986390654976?s=46

:sickos:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

When the picture loaded I thought for a moment it was a dress based on the coat

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm not familiar with the actor but that dress is loving amazing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

That is awesome news.

That improper comma of separation is driving me nuts.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

When I read about the announcement in the Drag Race thread, I lost my drat mind. This is the most interested I've been in Who in ages! (I've missed the show soooo much.)

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I'm not too familiar with drag so does that mean they will be playing their drag character or another role with their drag role playing that role?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Presumably playing a new character (or an old one…)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Hear me out on this- new Romana

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

please god let this be true

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

:sickos::sickos:

Maxwell Lord posted:

:sickos::sickos::sickos::sickos::sickos:

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yes!!

There is no reason to not bring her back and have two time-lords tackling problems on a equal footing! That would be awesome!

edit: :sickos: :sickos: :sickos:

SecretOfSteel fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Apr 4, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

If only the Rani wasn’t in the weird rights limbo (because both Pip&Jane Baker have passed, no one knows how to contact their estate), I suggest them…

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Jamie Mathieson released the first draft of Mummy on the Orient Express, btw: https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...s+Draft+One.pdf

In his introduction he makes it abundantly he thinks it's not very good compared to the final screenplay, btw, so maybe don't expect it to be much better than the average Chibnall script.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Thanks for posting that, it's an interesting look into a very different (and I agree, bad) script. The whole Clara fallout from Kill the Moon is such an essential component of this story that it's really jarring reading a version where that tension is replaced by a lot of bad exposition along the lines of 'yes it's a mummy, but it's like, a sci-fi mummy.'

Bonus, out of context line where the general tries to confirm the Doctor's personal timeline:

quote:

GENERAL QUELL
Do you follow the war Doctor?

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I'm beginning my 3rd pilgrimage and I hope I can time it so as soon as I'm done, the next episode comes out! Ian and Barbara are such a good companion pair I don't think any other dynamic between the companions has worked as well as those two.

God drat ians charming and also I wonder if anybody has come up with an in universe reason for all the little dialogue hiccups that came with a rushed single take production.

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 7, 2023

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Interesting to skim this thread and some of the others from the era

Xerol posted:

Action Jacktion posted:

Peter Pratt from The Deadly Assassin.

I don't know why they're still doing the secret phrase thing. "Bad Wolf" was kind of interesting because it hadn't been done before, and they did at least try to explain why it kept popping up. But all the Torchwood references were pointless and only meant that yes, the Doctor was going to meet Torchwood. And as soon as I heard that "Saxon" was the one for this year, I immediately thought "Oh, so that's going to be the Master's alias, is it?"

Hopefully the new series will have some good episodes, but with RTD calling the shots for story arcs and the big finale, it'll still probably feel disappointing overall.

Not sure if this should be spoilered or not, I'll do it for safety's sake.

With the emphasis that the recent series has had on Earth-based stories, I'm wondering if we're not going to see a lot of Pertwee-style Master encounters. You know the kind, where the entire story's based around some scientific project out in the middle of a large field, and the Master wants to use the project for some other purpose, or has been manipulating the project the entire time to his own ends.

That being said, I have high hopes for the new series, but I'm not too confident in them.

Lately I've been watching OldWho and then return to Moffat-era Doctor Who. And it's solidified something that continually pissed me off about Moffat's later years; that "The Doctor" slowly had become known throughout the entire universe, like a central figure -- the entire universe had a main character. And now reading through these posts you can see the rot set in in RTD's era. Like, there was no way they were going to do a big finale that was just a small scale story, but the cool surprise and the thing that made it worthy of being a series-ender, was that it introduced The Master. Nope, The Master had to become Prime Minister of the entire world!!!11

Luckily Moffat jumped the shark by having the TARDIS explode so largely and hugely and bigly that the entire universe had to be rebooted!!!!!111 so we shouldn't have to deal with any more plots like that.

Wait, wait- I'm hearing now- ok, surely the shark has been jumped now, after the 13th doctor stopped the multiverse from being eaten.

R-right? :ohdear:

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
The ending to the whole Impossible Astronaut/Death of the Doctor plotline had the Doctor deciding that maybe he was drawing too much attention with his grandiose antics and should act more secretively, stop bellowing out his name at every opportunity, let people forget about the Doctor.

Like the Search for Gallifrey, this resolution did not last beyond the end of that very episode/season.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

It never fails to amuse me that RTD, Moffat, etc. kept upping the ante every season by having the universe/multiverse/time itself/whatever be in absolute peril; and yet, one of the highest-regarded stories of the original series' run featured a relatively uncomplicated plot with the Doctor and Peri accidentally getting poisoned and blundering into a drug smuggling operation, inadvertently getting involved in political machinations and personal grudges, and having no stakes higher than needing to get the antidote for the poison and get the hell outta Dodge before they died from the poison, from superheated mud flows, or from someone's bullets.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Big TV problem in general lately, least in stuff I watch. They really overestimate how much the stakes matter, when routinely lower stakes with greater character and story focus produces better media almost always. There's no useful or meaningful way to depict that scale of threat or even the reaction to it, on top of those stakes being untenably high once you examine what the supposed consequences are and how they'd even possibly occur if the heroes don't do whatever.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Plus with mega stakes the audience will never plausibly believe that the heroes might fail so there's actually less tension

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's just harder to write a meaningful story with small stakes. It's really easy to write a story about a bunch of things getting smushed by CG, but it's hard to write a story about people making dramatic choices or making meaningful decisions. It's why so much Doctor Who ends with a guest star killing themselves to save the day; there's no catharsis or emotional arc otherwise.

Another way to solve the problem of having meaningful stakes is to go edgy and dark. Androzani is a great script, all about people making choices and doing dramatic things, but it absolutely goes to that well a lot. It's a story with drugs, attempted rape -- Peri gets traumatised generally -- everyone shoots guns that use bullets instead of space lasers, etc. So part of the reason it has to much power is because it does break a lot of the taboos in the stories around it, rather than just because it's a strong script in and of itself -- which, again, it is.

There isn't a lot of appetite for that kind of trauma in contemporary kids programming (which sucks, but that's a separate issue) so the easiest way to do finales is to just raise the stakes for the CGI destruction. Plus there's just the genre expectation that your story is going to end of its biggest set piece.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

CommonShore posted:

Plus with mega stakes the audience will never plausibly believe that the heroes might fail so there's actually less tension

This. That's actually one of the reasons I stopped reading comic books. It was always someone's "shocking" death to sell books, only to have them coming back somehow sometimes just a few issues later.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Idk if the stakes get changed from "some of these entire galaxies might get destroyed" to "some of these train passengers might get killed," you get a decent story.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

CommonShore posted:

Actually, it'd really be cool to have a whole season come from the fact that the doctor lost the war for time or whatever, and has to deal with the consequences.

But then, the writers would have to actually use their brains for once rather than submitting random fan fiction, so it'll go down the drain immediately -- much like Voyager's premise and Trek's "utopian" setting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

ST Picard is doing an excellent job of delivering absolute nostalgia-driven fanslop with almost zero coherence. At least Voyager had episode storylines that said things.