Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Beve Stuscemi posted:

The what now?

If you’re playing anything graphic intensive (it’s happened with Dead Space and now RE4 Remake) sometimes the Deck will simply flip to power save me and underclock the CPU/GPU and just lock itself there. Plugging back in won’t switch things back to normal, you won’t be able to change gpu/power profiles, hell even a restart won’t fix it. You need to basically either force a restore on bios or (if you’re on rEFInd / dual boots) boot up Windows to shake whatever lock off then boot back to Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh drat hope that poo poo doesn’t happen to me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Uh. Yeah, that sounds not great

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’ve seen people on the SD reddit go through RMA for it but it’s mostly an annoyance for me. A really dumb annoyance since it’s arbitrary when it happens. Like today I was at like 48% battery left when the thing locked up. Like sure you want to go to power mode at like 10-20%, go for it. Or give me a heads up before so I can plug in. It having no rhyme or reason of when it hits and then having to jump hoops to unlock it is what’s annoying.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That's something my laptop would do when a GPU sensor failed and it thought it was constantly trying to draw 500W.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So, Asus announced this as part of an April fools video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5lq4Q7YAjE

And it turns out that it's actually real:

https://twitter.com/ASUS_ROG/status/1642882143193010176

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnHRxqg1dKo

This is the first big-name contender to the Steam Deck from a well-known hardware manufacturer. Like the Steam Deck, it sounds like they're using semicustom SoC from AMD, while the Aya Neo/GPD Win (and others) are using laptop chips. Those laptop chips often have CPUs that are more powerful than necessary for a low-power handheld PC, so a custom chip with maybe 4 Zen 3 cores and an RDNA3 GPU (as ETA Prime speculates) would be pretty sweet.

It's an ROG product though, so it's probably going to be stupidly expensive.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
What the hell one of the reps called it a joke (A-Lie) in another earlier tweet. Definitely used the confusion to build hype and it worked on at least my dumb rear end.

Real talk though, an eGPU dock is an amazing idea and I’m glad the market is moving in this direction. I love the idea of handheld PC’s being a real trend and I hope it’s successful whether or not I get one.

Also hope it doesn’t force some kind of Armoury Crate bloatware.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 3, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Deck with EGPU dock would completely kill any reason I have to use a normal PC, other than work.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

1080p@120hz, why.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drLZxyv79Oo

Dave2D actually got one to test and has more details. It's actually Zen 4 and RDNA3 on TSMC 4nm. Which in layman's terms means it's basically as cutting edge as it can be. This thing is going to be really drat expensive.

edit: 120hz is actually sick as hell, especially if the display is freesync.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I'll be honest, I'm not looking forward to a ton of fragmentation in the handheld gaming PC space, which is probably what's going to happen if other big names start diving in. The fact that the SD is ridiculously versatile since it's just a handheld PC is great, but the real killer feature is that it's like 70-80% of the way there when it comes to being a low-spec standard for mobile PC gaming.

Not saying the Ally doesn't look cool, because it does, but it's the combination of versatility, reasonable hardware targets, and dirt cheap prices that make the SD something more than the tech toy handheld PCs that have been around for years. I was kind of hoping it'd be the only real game in town for at least a few more years just to encourage developers to target it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

It's interesting that it just runs Win11 but I agree that they gotta put some kind of intuitive launcher on it. The Deck's Game Mode / Desktop Mode dichotomy works p well.

Haven't seen too many attempts at Win11 mobile SKUs, like that was the idea behind Win8 but I thought they largely abandoned it

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

homeless snail posted:

1080p@120hz, why.

Yeah, I keep my deck at 40hz and it's perfect.

This seems like they're just stuffing it full of dumb specs to dazzle people who don't know any better. Like, Zen4 and RDNA3 is cool, but I really doubt it's going to be hitting 120fps at 1080p... not with a usable battery life time, anyway.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I think a good way to sum it up is that Valve is a software company and Asus is a hardware company, and ok hardware running great software is better than the other way around. Like, don't just put Win11 on it and call it a day, do SOMEthing to make it usable controller-only

Now if they had it run SteamOS I'd be interested

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Macichne Leainig posted:

Yeah, I keep my deck at 40hz and it's perfect.

This seems like they're just stuffing it full of dumb specs to dazzle people who don't know any better. Like, Zen4 and RDNA3 is cool, but I really doubt it's going to be hitting 120fps at 1080p... not with a usable battery life time, anyway.
Same reason why its absolutely slathered in RGB

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

homeless snail posted:

Same reason why its absolutely slathered in RGB

Also white, because you just need to see that first fleck of cheeto dust a mile away. Also it's definitely gonna look great in 3 years.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The steam hooks in the deck are definitely a huge part of the appeal for me. The fact that I can swap back and forth between handheld and pc, on the same save, in under a minute is insane.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

I'll be honest, I'm not looking forward to a ton of fragmentation in the handheld gaming PC space, which is probably what's going to happen if other big names start diving in. The fact that the SD is ridiculously versatile since it's just a handheld PC is great, but the real killer feature is that it's like 70-80% of the way there when it comes to being a low-spec standard for mobile PC gaming.

Not saying the Ally doesn't look cool, because it does, but it's the combination of versatility, reasonable hardware targets, and dirt cheap prices that make the SD something more than the tech toy handheld PCs that have been around for years. I was kind of hoping it'd be the only real game in town for at least a few more years just to encourage developers to target it.

nobody is buying this thing

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
120hz is sick for simple games though? what's the downside here other than a tiny additional cost on a device that already costs a hojillion dollars

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

TwoDice posted:

120hz is sick for simple games though? what's the downside here other than a tiny additional cost on a device that already costs a hojillion dollars

Battery is currently the bottleneck.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah you can see it on phones, I can run a few games at 120hz on my iPhone but generally not a great idea because the phone then gets really hot and dies fast.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I think it looks interesting if it can compete with Steam Deck on battery life and base cost is <= $600. Much more than that or lovely battery life and forget it.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
How does fallen order work on deck? Does the EA stuff screw it up and prevent it from working? I'm wondering if survivor is going to be playable or not.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

How's general phone and battery performance at 120hz? I don't notice the difference between 60hz and 120hz in most 3D games on my PC, but with anything 2D including UI elements the difference is night and day, so I could be interested in an upgrade for that.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

edit- ^^^ 120hz creams the battery life on most phones. I have a pretty recent flagship with decent-ish battery life under normal circumstances and while 120hz is fine for normal phone stuff, it will poo poo all over the battery on even basic 2D games.

Likewise locking framerate and cutting the refresh rate is basically one of the most effective things you can do to eek out more battery life on the SD.

There's no downside assuming the faster screen costs $0, but it's not a great feature for a handheld. Saving even $50 on the cost would be better than the higher specs tbh

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 3, 2023

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
The other concern I have with it is that I doubt precompiled shaders will be a thing like with SD unless Valve is opening that up to other hardware manufacturers.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

RandomBlue posted:

I think it looks interesting if it can compete with Steam Deck on battery life and base cost is <= $600. Much more than that or lovely battery life and forget it.

So you're hoping that a device that's more powerful and isn't being subsidized at all by software sales or economies of scale will have the same battery life and price? This isn't even a possibility.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000
I'm bummed I've yet to see any of these steam deck competitors even attempt to replicate the mouse touch-panels of the steam deck / controller.

It's the one thing I think makes using desktop mode, or games that just need a little bump to get started (full controller support!! except for the main menu whoops sorry) bearable.

All the others seem to just half-heartedly stick a button to switch a controller to mouse mode, which is barf.

Additional note, please make a steam controller v2 to go along with my deck tyia

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Also worth keeping in mind that battery life is already the weakest feature of the SD by a mile. Something that can't match that battery life at a minimum is bordering on useless as a handheld.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Quixzlizx posted:

So you're hoping that a device that's more powerful and isn't being subsidized at all by software sales or economies of scale will have the same battery life and price? This isn't even a possibility.

Yeah, I was thinking that too. Valve at least has the argument of the Deck being an easy on-ramp into the Steam ecosystem, even for the less technically inclined. I doubt the Asus RGB gamer poo poo will have that going for it, as impressive as it might be on paper

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Macichne Leainig posted:

Yeah, I was thinking that too. Valve at least has the argument of the Deck being an easy on-ramp into the Steam ecosystem, even for the less technically inclined. I doubt the Asus RGB gamer poo poo will have that going for it, as impressive as it might be on paper

The issue is, even in the theoretical universe where everyone loves and prefers this Asus device, all of the resulting game sale money will be going to Valve, not Asus. So Asus isn't going to sell at a loss for... nothing in return whatsoever other than sweaty gamer love. Their only profit opportunity is on the hardware side.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Quixzlizx posted:

Macichne Leainig posted:

Similar battery life , 50% more for the base model is not "the same price".

I don't think either will happen but I think that's what it'll take for it to be competitive.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
Yeah, if it's going to cost as much as a middle-tier gaming system (~$1200), then what's the point of getting it over just getting the full-blown system?

:lol: at Windows 11. Enjoy ads and bye bye to 20+gb of storage for the OS alone.

I'm glad to see competition, but I'm not holding my breath.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lord Bob posted:

Additional note, please make a steam controller v2 to go along with my deck tyia

From your lips to Gabe’s ear!

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

RandomBlue posted:

Similar battery life , 50% more for the base model is not "the same price".

I don't think either will happen but I think that's what it'll take for it to be competitive.

This wouldn't be competing with the base model. $600 is, in fact, "the same price" as the model it would be competing with. $50 cheaper, even.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Paradoxish posted:

I don't think you need to worry about any of that because
  • Battery technology went nowhere new in the last year, and I don't see much news.
  • low spec standard targeting won't be affected by devices that are more powerful
  • No trackpads, less buttons.
  • Bad software (just lol at the state of most the hw manufacturers software)
  • EGPU required to utilize the gimmick to be bottlenecked by the device at ~20% loss. Buy a whole PC at that point. Enclosures cost the same as the Deck and are loud. This whole part is gonna be a clustefuck.
  • Isn't out yet.

All these are just trying to get a piece of the pie as quick as possible.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Saint Freak posted:

The default file path for Heroic cloud saves is super wrong. You'll have to do some research per game to find the correct one. It'll probably look something like /home/deck/Games/Heroic/Prefixes/[GAME]/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/AppData/local/[GAME]/Saved/SaveGames/[UUID OF GAME]/

Also, Heroic only seems to sync cloud saves at the end of a play session if you close the game you're playing back to the Heroic launcher and let it sync. Do not just like, Steam Button -> close the game when you are done.

Perfect! Thanks!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I don't even know what the Asus target market is. Like yeah there's plenty of people with more money than sense, but either you already know about the Steam Deck and have considered it, or you're technically apt enough to know that just throwing a bunch of specs into a handheld and saying "good luck" is not addressing any of the problems with the form factor

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

RandomBlue posted:

It's going to be $899 at the cheapest, and have 2 hours of battery life.

The fact that it runs windows is, honestly, not a good thing. Windows does too much, and purpose-specific computers suffer for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Windows is a deal-breaker for these kinds of devices. The OS-level maintenance and required interactions are just too much rear end-pain for a handheld.