Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I don't like modular difficulty because it's the devs making me do the work of balancing the game for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I choose hard unless it's like rip your dick off hard mode. So if a game has 4 difficulty options I'll go 3.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

I think videogames should be enjoyed

I recognize that this ideology has caused multiple posters to declare a blood feud with me

imagine hating gamers this much

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
i still remember when my situation was only having one new/unbeaten game available at a time so i always try to play on the hardest mode to get the 'most' game. i have dropped games where the modes unlock sequentially and you have to beat it like 7 times because im not going to play 6 practice games. but im not suggesting this is normal behavior others should adopt either

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

She's quick and nimble when she needs to be
She can float through the air and climb up trees!

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I pick easy settings on crpgs because combat usually sucks and I like the story :)

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
usually go normal/medium by default with the recent exception of fire emblem games which have been getting way too easy on normal

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

American McGay posted:

I choose hard unless it's like rip your dick off hard mode. So if a game has 4 difficulty options I'll go 3.

Yeah this is usually how I do things and I'll just bump it down if I get my rear end kicked early.

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

usually go normal/medium by default with the recent exception of fire emblem games which have been getting way too easy on normal

Three houses normal is a perfect example of why I do this, a lot of the time normal/medium just can't keep me interested for a whole game length.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

i play most stuff on normal

paradox games sometimes i bump it up a little as I learn to bend the bars of my asylum

only game I think I max difficulty on is probably mount and blade

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Famethrowa posted:

I pick easy settings on crpgs because combat usually sucks and I like the story :)

yeah the latest pathfinder games are essentially 2 completely different games based on how high you want to take the difficulty.

Story mode is fine, pretty easy so long as you don't make the worst possible character builds

Up to normal mode, it's a decent challenge, you do want properly built characters, but you don't need to be perfect every single combat with buff timing.

Core mode is where it adds extra enemy effects & abilities that can ruin your day if you aren't planning around them, you have to be using most of if not all your abilities to squeeze out the extra damage and defense. Example would be that the game had high level feats for bonuses to mage armor but not regular armor, so the optimal strategy for literally everyone was to take those abilities and use potions of mage armor rather then wearing actual armor.

Hard and up, to unfair, is basically just a massive numbers boost to the enemy, and combat is either you kill the enemy in less then 3 rounds, usually with a single attack each time, or you're going to get wiped.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

American McGay posted:

This is the way. Leaves room for at least one more go around if I end up really liking the game and want to go all in.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

if it's a game genre i dont rlly dabble in like RTS or something i'll opt for easy at least at the start so i can get used to it, otherwise normal difficulty
e: some exceptions like FE: 3H of course cuz as someone else mentioned normal is laughably easy

symbolic fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 3, 2023

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I feel like Hades approached modular difficulty in a really thoughtful manner.
I do enjoy an easy game though. If I wanted challenges and a sense of accomplishment, real life has more than enough of those. I game for fun and relaxation.
Others should seek to enjoy a game how they see fit. Or do whatever. I'm not your dad.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Hadeez nuts.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

B33rChiller posted:

I feel like Hades approached modular difficulty in a really thoughtful manner.
I do enjoy an easy game though. If I wanted challenges and a sense of accomplishment, real life has more than enough of those. I game for fun and relaxation.
Others should seek to enjoy a game how they see fit. Or do whatever. I'm not your dad.

i'm fine with a creeping easy-setting like that in roguelikes and such, I wish fromsoft games had more of them that didn't just boil down to "track back to this particular spot, farm souls/materials for an hour and try again" (but only because variety is the spice of life)

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
In the op, "Hawaii retreat goes wrong" links to the thread about the piss being poured onto the Chicago tourist boat

I went looking cos I am interested to know 9f any hawaiian goon communers are still posting on these fine forums, and would care to share their memories of this time with us

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Chewbecca posted:

In the op, "Hawaii retreat goes wrong" links to the thread about the piss being poured onto the Chicago tourist boat

I went looking cos I am interested to know 9f any hawaiian goon communers are still posting on these fine forums, and would care to share their memories of this time with us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlz3w7AeAq4

There's apparently a 2 hour video essay with 48 followers and less than 300 views bout the Edit: the camp zipline got too excited to get both sides of video essay folks angry with a podcast

OR

Fire Storm posted:

He did something bad in the past so goons hate him, got the thread gassed.

The project has been moved to a blog.

BigBadSteve posted:

From dense rainforest to retreat center [original thread, gassed]:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3123495

Hawaii 5-5-5-5-5 [FYAD - goldmined]:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3151205

Grassy Knowles fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 3, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

If this is somehow related to that twitter dipshit let me know and I'll remove it, I just wanted to be cheeky with a long rear end video essay.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
The video essay is called "a child annihilating zipline" so not the same legend.

Also the blog link isn't loading :whitewater:

I've read the threads, was more looking for the postscript to the story (if there was one) from some real participants

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Chewbecca posted:

The video essay is called "a child annihilating zipline" so not the same legend.

Also the blog link isn't loading :whitewater:

I've read the threads, was more looking for the postscript to the story (if there was one) from some real participants

Ah I thought you were looking for the threads to see still-active posters in the ranks, sorry

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

*screaming very loud* Yes!!!!!!!!! Video Essays FTW!!!!!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Wormskull posted:

*screaming very loud* Yes!!!!!!!!! Video Essays FTW!!!!!

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Watchmojo Top Ten Essays about Something Awful Legends

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

the five times goons made you go “what the BLEEP”

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ulvir posted:

the five times goons made you go “what the BLEEP”

Only 5???

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Top 10 sexiest computers of 2010s

BUMBACLOT
Jun 19, 2008

our editors rank their favorite goon ballsacks

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

BUMBACLOT posted:

our editors rank their favorite goon ballsacks

number 11 will shock you

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Thinking about this again and laughing

breadnsucc posted:

I watched the video a few times to try to figure out what happened, but you can see that person get assaulted, you can also watch videos of the same poo poo heads confessing to the assault later that same day on camera lmao. Anyways if you watch, you can see exactly when Tiny does get hit, at least one shot hits his ballistic shield and ricochets into his foot. You can see him flinch and the ballistic shield jump and such. You can see that the person doesn't use or move their left arm much after the assault, I'm wondering if they broke it.

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Identifed by cops because after the shooting he ran a small distance away, changed shirts, and the panopticon caught his dorky tribal tattoo on camera

Then a few days later cops caught him vandalizing a tattoo shop with a spray can and took him in.

Also lol at this

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Arivia posted:

Only 5???

gotta drag it out over multiple videos to milk the numbers

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

Identifed by cops because after the shooting he ran a small distance away, changed shirts, and the panopticon caught his dorky tribal tattoo on camera

Then a few days later cops caught him vandalizing a tattoo shop with a spray can and took him in.

Also lol at this

also the various attempts by several cool zone posters to minimize the entire thing including "well he was just shooting into the distance, it's pretty much fine"

edit: lol forgot the black bloc antifa medic post

elise the great posted:

Not to get all weird but like. I’m not totally unknown on the forums, and I’m literally a black bloc antifa medic from the anarchist jurisdiction. Antifascism is a set of values that I think most people around here hold, and antifa action is anything you do to uphold those values, whether it’s community volunteering, political activism, helping your neighbor instead of calling the cops, or— in my case— providing eye washes and first aid to people assaulted by police and right-wing extremists for protesting.

Last year, the Proud Boys shot into a group of medics in Olympia. They didn’t kill anyone, but they did hit breadnsucc. Charges were filed, although everyone knew that PBs can get away with anything in Oly— this is why the PBs , especially Tiny Toese, like to “hunt” in Oly and why medics and counterprotesters oppose them, to keep them out of racialized neighborhoods and reduce the chances of a lynching etc.

To my understanding, breadnsucc wiped his history and posts because the charges finally came to judicial attention and he feared that his posts would be used to discount the severity of the PBs’ actions (firing into a crowd of medics). It turned out that even without his posts, the PBs can get away with anything in Oly. All charges were dropped.

It wasn’t for several more weeks that the shooting clash happened, and by then, the PBs— emboldened partly by their Oly victory— were ready to get away with more. Obviously the story is garbled, but the things I’m fairly confident in the details of are as follows:

—The PBs cornered an independent journalist and dragged them by their hair, apparently intending grave harm
—The group that attempted to intervene included breadnsucc, who apparently shot Tiny in the leg.

I don’t know breadnsucc personally at all. I do know that if someone fired at my team, shot me, and walked, and then I saw them dragging another team member by their hair and brandishing guns, I probably wouldn’t have aimed for their knees.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 3, 2023

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Grassy Knowles posted:

If this is somehow related to that twitter dipshit let me know and I'll remove it, I just wanted to be cheeky with a long rear end video essay.
Reported for misinformation. This is clearly a podcast episode with a still image for "video" . Not a video essay. Hell, even well there's your problem has slides.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Grassy Knowles posted:

number 11 will shock you

Why 11? Cause I go one step beyond

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

pentyne posted:

also the various attempts by several cool zone posters to minimize the entire thing including "well he was just shooting into the distance, it's pretty much fine"

edit: lol forgot the black bloc antifa medic post

I remember a lot of the QCS thread was also asserting this must be a lie because Andy Ngo publicized it, as if he wasn't the kind of guy who'd swoop in on an easy layup to push a narrative about a dangerous antifa supersoldier genetically spliced with a stick insect.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The ultimate left wing revolutionary. Lmfao. Goons ftw.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It's one of those crazy things where a ton of people basically out themselves as having never once in their life been around firearms or firearms safety because they kept trying to insist firing into the distance off camera isn't really that bad.

There was also the insanely lame attempt to drag TFR into it by bringing up the pumpkin guy, who was literally ran out of TFR after 2-3 posts and told never to come back by pretty much everyone.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I’m still a little puzzled by that spider-mandible hairline

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Nuns with Guns posted:

God drat what a prescient post

You think he knows he's permabanned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

I’m still a little puzzled by that spider-mandible hairline

lmfao a chilicerae peak