Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'll forever be chasing this high

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

kiimo posted:

I'll forever be chasing this high

Grand Budapest is all about class solidarity..

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

smug n stuff posted:

Aren’t the three brothers in Darjeeling supposed to be read as scumbags?

yes

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Personal I’m a fan of The Midnight Coterie of Sinister Intruders

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

live with fruit posted:

Grand Budapest is all about class solidarity..

Wes Andersen joints are some of the least politically radical or thought provoking films still being granted consistent budgets. If the unrelentingly limp decorum of French Dispatch didn't finally hammer this home for people then I don't know what will. Certainly not an Ed Ruscha tribute.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought it was cartoonishly clear that you weren't supposed to like the bros in darjeeling

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Were you also supposed to not like the movie, because if so, mission accomplished Mr. Anderson

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Parkingtigers posted:

e: Turning Red is them as well? That's on my to be watched list too, thought that was someone else for some reason.

Turning Red and Coco are probably the best things Pixar has made in the last decade and change, you should check them out.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Anyone who didn't like Coco should go live on the moon instead of earth because i don't want to be on the same planet as you!

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Mat Cauthon posted:

Turning Red and Coco are probably the best things Pixar has made in the last decade and change, you should check them out.

Luca is very underrated.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Mat Cauthon posted:

I promise the thread I will get these watched.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Parkingtigers posted:

I promise the thread I will get these watched.

Please do not force people to watch movies against their will

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Just gonna copy and paste from Wikipedia. But it seems it's the opposite re: worst - since it's highly rated by everyone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isle_of_Dogs_(film)#Reception

As an actual Japanese citizen and passport-haver, I do kind of take issue with the article quoting non-Japanese perspectives as if they're representative of Japanese views. Didn't realise all of us Ay-juns were a big ol' monoculture, like.

But then again, I can't say I'm too fond of well-intentioned, but ultimately misguided white people deciding on our behalf what is meant to be offensive to us (and the inverse of "nuh-uh, what you think is racism isn't actually racism" that we also get thrown at us) either.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 30, 2023

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

AceOfFlames posted:

Please do not force people to watch movies against their will

*comes into the room holding eyedrops* oh

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuKM2sTTmHg

I will watch this. Love to see Justin Theroux doing something goofy like this.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Jewmanji posted:

That looks really good. Theroux is nailing Liddy's bizzare mannerisms.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Jewmanji posted:

Oh god this looks great. Way goofier than I expected.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/transformers/status/1642298120720781320?t=btuVOcYLVZAHes58gsP4ww&s=19

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

So… mixed reality just means people looking at an empty court while lovely live compositing is played on televisions?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZVTkn2NjS0

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bugblatter posted:

So… mixed reality just means people looking at an empty court while lovely live compositing is played on televisions?
No, they watch the magic on the giant stadium screens.

Then look down and see nothing.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

So Nick Fury is dying.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

thrawn527 posted:

So Nick Fury is dying.

Sam Jackson is past 70, he wasn't going to go on doing Marvel forever. I hope it's a good last hurrah for him.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

So Nick Fury is dying.

I mean Samuel L. Jackson is 74. Makes sense he might want to start taking it easy.

The fact that (to me at least) the algorithm immediately recommends a Lance Reddick video after this just hammers the point further :(

e:f,b

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Oh, it totally makes sense to kill him off. I just meant that they're not even trying to hide it. Makes me wonder if it's a double bluff, and he doesn't die, now that I think about it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Why are they trying this with basketball when Yugioh tournaments are a thing?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

Everyone should just watch Gas Lit.

There's no way they're gonna top Shea Wigham as Gordon Liddy.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko-i7jh8sjs

I know nothing about Blue Beetle. But from this, he looks like Iron Man meets Spider-Man meets Green Lantern?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

I know nothing about Blue Beetle. But from this, he looks like Iron Man meets Spider-Man meets Green Lantern?

Kind of? The original Blue Beetle (Ted Kord) was very much an Iron Man ripoff (even down to being one of the richest people in the DCU). This one (Jamie Reyes) is an ordinary Hispanic teen who gets this alien artifact (the Scarab) that grants him this suit. Unlike the Green Lanterns, however, the Reach, the race that created the Scarab are ruthless conquerors who sometimes pose as peaceful benefactors. Dunno if the latter aspect will come into play here (mostly likely not).

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 3, 2023

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

AceOfFlames posted:

Samuel L. Jackson is 74

:psyduck:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
All of the suit and UI design looks so very early aughts, but I dunno.. doesn't look terrible overall and I'm all for more representation in superhero movies.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Turns out I just really can't care about unfamiliar (to me) super hero IPs with how over-saturate we are. There really needs to be something more than remixed pop song + flying + explosions. I don't know if that bus scene was supposed to be a wow moment but all I could think about was someone is definitely losing a limb.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The Dave posted:

Turns out I just really can't care about unfamiliar (to me) super hero IPs with how over-saturate we are. There really needs to be something more than remixed pop song + flying + explosions. I don't know if that bus scene was supposed to be a wow moment but all I could think about was someone is definitely losing a limb.

It's funny, because at the beginning of the trailer, I thought they were going for a Shang Chi vibe, with focusing on the female best friend and working a lovely low paying job. But then it was clear he doesn't come from a rich family, or know martial arts, so I figured never mind, not really Shang Chi inspired.

And then they did that loving bus scene.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

Fun Fact: Nite Owl in Watchmen is based on Blue Beetle.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Alhazred posted:

Fun Fact: Nite Owl in Watchmen is based on Blue Beetle.

Really? I thought he was a Batman satire.

Actually asking, I don't know a ton about Watchmen, and know nothing about Blue Beetle.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah, the guys in Watchmen are 1:1 with the Charleston line-up of heroes that DC bought. Alan Moore's original pitch was to jack up these old forgotten characters that no one cared about, but DC paid money for them so they didn't want Alan breaking their new toys and had him come up with knock-offs instead.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Really? I thought he was a Batman satire.

Actually asking, I don't know a ton about Watchmen, and know nothing about Blue Beetle.

technically he's based on the previous Blue Beetle who was just a gadget guy with a beetle shaped jet.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I know, right? But he came to acting late - when he got his first significant movie role as the guy who tries robbing the restaurant in Coming to America he was already 39.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

thrawn527 posted:

It's funny, because at the beginning of the trailer, I thought they were going for a Shang Chi vibe, with focusing on the female best friend and working a lovely low paying job. But then it was clear he doesn't come from a rich family, or know martial arts, so I figured never mind, not really Shang Chi inspired.

And then they did that loving bus scene.

The bus scene in Nobody was better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

ruddiger posted:

Yeah, the guys in Watchmen are 1:1 with the Charleston line-up of heroes that DC bought. Alan Moore's original pitch was to jack up these old forgotten characters that no one cared about, but DC paid money for them so they didn't want Alan breaking their new toys and had him come up with knock-offs instead.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

technically he's based on the previous Blue Beetle who was just a gadget guy with a beetle shaped jet.

Interesting, I didn't know that. I always thought he was a Batman pastiche.