Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I recommened buying a tree that will fruit something. Each tree will have different directions for transplanting and care, but if you get one that is already established (a couple years old) then the hardest part will be planting it. I assume since the city already planted one, due diligence was done and you aren't plopping it into the middle of a pipe system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I’m probably not welcome here and I’ll apologize for being a giant rear end yesterday, but for those in areas that will support it, a Chinese Pistache can be a really nice, beautiful tree.

Not sure how well it does in more northern parts of the US, but for the southern states, it’s a pretty good tree.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Bird in a Blender posted:

Speaking of that, I really need a tree for my front yard. The city planted one last year and it promptly died. I really just want to go buy one and plant it, but I've never planted a tree before. Can I really just dig a hole and plop it in and water it? Small plants I can handle, but I've never dealt with a tree before.

That's basically it. Make sure you dig a good sized hole to loosen the ground up and make sure the roots aren't all bound up. Give it a little starter fertilizer and make sure you keep it watered.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
haha yes!

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1642936518196056064?s=20

wandler20 fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 3, 2023

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Gone already

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Just imagine it was your wildest dream come true.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Just imagine it was your wildest dream come true.

:allears:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

LeeMajors posted:

Gone already

They must've made a new tweet. Updated the post.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
One Last Dance tonight.

Let's make history.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

haha Olbermann sucks so loving much

https://twitter.com/KeithOlbermann/status/1642649593140637706?s=20

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I'd be down for watching Iowa vs. LSU 2 next year as long as the refs don't gently caress it up again.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

LeeMajors posted:

haha Olbermann sucks so loving much

The next couple of tweets on this are 10/10 double-down into disingenuous apology.

https://twitter.com/KeithOlbermann/status/1642861230221041664

Motherfucker was on ESPN for years and still couldn't be bothered to make sure there wasn't the slightest bit of backstory before weighing in.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

He’s decorum-poisoned like all the other succlibs on MSNBC.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Blowjob Overtime posted:

The next couple of tweets on this are 10/10 double-down into disingenuous apology.

https://twitter.com/KeithOlbermann/status/1642861230221041664

Motherfucker was on ESPN for years and still couldn't be bothered to make sure there wasn't the slightest bit of backstory before weighing in.

Anybody who complains about a lack of class in sports deserves swirlies all day. Like, making fun of somebody getting hurt, sure, that sucks, but the moment of winning a title over the current media darling is literally THE time and place to talk poo poo!

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Nobody will remember Reese being the tourney MVP because no one wants to. The narratives around this game were all Caitlin Clark and Kim Mulkey. Basically zero talk of LSU's players' accomplishments, talents, etc. despite them playing one of the best team games in basketball history.

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 3, 2023

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

He’s decorum-poisoned like all the other succlibs on MSNBC.

He’s not even on msnbc anymore.

He’s just like….that way.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

FizFashizzle posted:

He’s not even on msnbc anymore.

He’s just like….that way.

Oh I know, but he is Of That Kind

Like an ur-Krassenstein

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

SourKraut posted:

I’m probably not welcome here and I’ll apologize for being a giant rear end yesterday, but for those in areas that will support it, a Chinese Pistache can be a really nice, beautiful tree.

Not sure how well it does in more northern parts of the US, but for the southern states, it’s a pretty good tree.

That's a nice looking tree, but I'm too far north for it looks like.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Tree chat: with my backyard remodel being done, I really want to put in an avocado tree. But when they installed the sprinklers, they ran the PVC diagonally across where I'd plant a tree :(

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

SourKraut posted:

:shrug: I was just a bystander, but we all have our moments getting inordinately upset at sports teams Silly Burrito cheers for (shouldn't have mocked the Skol chant, Sean). This is also buffered by recognizing you as a good contributor in the Management Games thread and HCH.

Also tree chat: pretty sure the little ones that were bent in half by that snow this weekend are going to be permanently angled to the point where I should probably cut them down now before they're a problem. It bums me out because last year I cut down a shitload of buckthorn that was choking them out because I like them :smith:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Notes from this week's Bible Study Fellowship curriculum- Jeremiah is basically the Hans Moleman of Old Testament prophets.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

General Dog posted:

Notes from this week's Bible Study Fellowship curriculum- Jeremiah is basically the Hans Moleman of Old Testament prophets.

How many footballs to the groin does he take?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Apropos of nothing, the Twitter icon is now just Doge I guess

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

SourKraut posted:

Nah, it’s all good. Come stay and chat with us. :hfive:

Blowjob Overtime posted:

:shrug: I was just a bystander, but we all have our moments getting inordinately upset at sports teams Silly Burrito cheers for (shouldn't have mocked the Skol chant, Sean). This is also buffered by recognizing you as a good contributor in the Management Games thread and HCH.

Yeah, oops, that bit us in the rear end pretty well. Here’s hoping any bad juju left the building and followed Sean to Denver. :ohdear:

a neat cape posted:

One Last Dance tonight.

Let's make history.

Dude, you don’t know how much I’m rooting for you and your team. Hope they kick rear end tonight!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

please plant native trees if you can, they will actually thrive in your environment, they'll attract native birds and pollinators, they'll be less likely to fall over in a storm or randomly die on you, it's just a great idea all around to do it!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

fartknocker posted:

How many footballs to the groin does he take?

The scriptures are silent on that, but he does get his rear end kicked a lot and gets thrown into a cistern once.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Leperflesh posted:

please plant native trees if you can, they will actually thrive in your environment, they'll attract native birds and pollinators, they'll be less likely to fall over in a storm or randomly die on you, it's just a great idea all around to do it!

The city gave me a Quaking Aspen, which is native to Illinois, and I kind of just want to get another one, but I need to find where I can get one. Bonus is they're cheap. I also learned from my wood book I just got, that the Poplar and Quaking Aspen are the same thing, so if I have to take it out again, maybe I can get some cheap wood out of it.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Apropos of nothing, the Twitter icon is now just Doge I guess

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1642962756906418176

this loving guy

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

There are no native trees here

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I’ve never seen anyone so desperate to be funny. It’s pathetic.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Leperflesh posted:

I’d prefer to, but my wife and at least one of my kids are horribly allergic to a lot of native Sonoran Desert plants and trees, so while we plant native out front, I’ve been trying to put low-allergen plants in the backyard so we can enjoy them and the yard when the weather is nice.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Silly Burrito posted:

Yeah, oops, that bit us in the rear end pretty well. Here’s hoping any bad juju left the building and followed Sean to Denver. :ohdear:

I'm working to actively remind myself any bad blood between the Vikings and Saints has been purged with Payton, but it's tough to stop my brain from defaulting to vitriol

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

The city gave me a Quaking Aspen, which is native to Illinois, and I kind of just want to get another one, but I need to find where I can get one. Bonus is they're cheap. I also learned from my wood book I just got, that the Poplar and Quaking Aspen are the same thing, so if I have to take it out again, maybe I can get some cheap wood out of it.

Poplar is a fast-growing commercial wood that sells for quite cheap (it's just about the cheapest hardwood) so while you'd totally be able to mill it like with an alaskan mill approach, and then spend a couple years with it stickered and covered (not tarped, just under a roof or something to keep the rain off) as it dries... you'll wind up with a lot of labor for your ~$1.50/bf results.

General Dog posted:

There are no native trees here

you live in antarctica?

SourKraut posted:

I’d prefer to, but my wife and at least one of my kids are horribly allergic to a lot of native Sonoran Desert plants and trees, so while we plant native out front, I’ve been trying to put low-allergen plants in the backyard so we can enjoy them and the yard when the weather is nice.

That does suck, and I think planting fruit trees that you'll actually harvest is a good alternative to natives. If you do decide to plant a non-native that also isn't a fruit tree, maybe try and get something that's sterile so at least it doesn't spread on its own in some future decade.

Nov 6, 2002

The developers in my neighborhood planted non-native trees which all died out within 10 years, succumbing to a black knot fungus which is local. Great job! They replanted native trees.

Nov 6, 2002

This is why I only use fragrance free.

https://twitter.com/OnlyBangersEth/status/1642619705163759616

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Leperflesh posted:

you live in antarctica?

i don't think texas has a history of dealing with its natives well

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

http://texastreeid.tamu.edu/content/listOfTrees/

Texas has a diverse and wonderful ecology including trees native to every texan habitat! Yes, even the huge wide open areas of just scrub can have trees such as mesquite and juniper in spots where there's seasonal waterflow.
http://texastreeid.tamu.edu/content/texasEcoRegions/

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Even though I wasn’t a fan of how it went down, UConn doesn’t deserve poo poo so go Aztecs

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

This!

Chinese pistache are everywhere around here now, along with African sumac and Aleppo pines and like, look y'all there are desert willows, palo verdes, mesquites, ironwoods (or even Arizona Ash if you want the deciduous experience).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

I have a really bad habit of fogetting wired headphones in hoodie/robe pockets and this is a fear. It's also why I'll never get airpods.

For trees and shrubs, ideally I'd like to get some more lilac trees for our yard and some more rhodedendrons. My partner, landlord/roommate, and I all live really close to the Weyerhaeuser botanical garden and it's lovely to stroll through.