Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Randalor posted:

How much authority as law enforcement does the SS have? Could they actively stop him from interacting with other people in this way?

If they witnessed him committing a federal offense, yes. https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/3056

quote:

make arrests without warrant for any offense against the United States committed in their presence, or for any felony cognizable under the laws of the United States if they have reasonable grounds to believe that the person to be arrested has committed or is committing such felony

Since a gag order issued by a NY state judge would not be a federal crime it would be out of their jurisdiction. I believe however they would have a duty to report the violation of the gag order, but I don't know that as a fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Randalor posted:

How much authority as law enforcement does the SS have? Could they actively stop him from interacting with other people in this way?

What would probably end up happening is that his lawyer would issue public statements and the most loyalist and most followed chuds on TS would just copy paste the message.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

V-Men posted:

What would probably end up happening is that his lawyer would issue public statements and the most loyalist and most followed chuds on TS would just copy paste the message.

Eh, him making statements through an Intermediary who (presumably) would go over it to make sure their client isn't digging themselves deeper but having no direct access to direct gratification is... fine, I guess. I just want to see what happens if he can't get a constant stream of yespeople to immediately stroke his gigantic ego.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Randalor posted:

Eh, him making statements through an Intermediary who (presumably) would go over it to make sure their client isn't digging themselves deeper but having no direct access to direct gratification is... fine, I guess. I just want to see what happens if he can't get a constant stream of yespeople to immediately stroke his gigantic ego.

Gag orders would likely be extended to all parties directly involved in the case, so that would be Trump and the lawyers on both sides.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Kith posted:

'it's time to "politically gently caress 'em up"' is a very :eyepop: quote. i wonder how it'll play in court.

The quotation was just "gently caress em up" [sic]. The "politically" was added by the Twitter poster. If I were a DA an someone said they wanted to "gently caress [me] up", I'd probably want to know in what context.

Charlz Guybon posted:

https://www.businessinsider.com/gag-order-donald-trump-extremely-likely-indictment-manhattan-2023-3?utm_source=reddit.com

$1,000 or 30 days in jail and nothing in between? Looks like Trump is going to say whatever he wants unless the Judge really is willing to bring the hammer down.

I'd be happy to see him in jail for 30 days. Maybe he'll double down and end up with multiple consecutive 30-day sentence for such behavior. His behavior is ridiculous.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Did you choose JFK on purpose to be ironic, or were you unaware that he was one of the most unhealthy men to ever be president?

Hard to beat fourth-term FDR, whose doctor flat-out knew was going to die any minute.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Did we know that some documents are still missing?

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1642893196836450306?t=3fzEGe9FKnAW5yIxoatw_g&s=19

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Let me guess, roughly 33 thousand emails? Because that's both the most unbelievable thing and also exactly the most believable thing I can see Trump destroying.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Civilized Fishbot posted:

What's the legality status of it? If he were the current president bringing down his governmental authority on the guy I can see how that would be no good. But the case here is a defendant planning to politically advocate against his own prosecution, which doesn't seem like a conflict of interest.

What specific federal crime do you think it would fall under? There's nothing illegal about saying "this trial sucks and I think the prosecutor is trumping up some bullshit charges against me for political reasons". It's not illegal to "politically gently caress 'em up". It might annoy the judge, which is likely to hurt his case in the trial he'd be facing for the actual crimes he did, but it's not a crime by itself.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Judge could order his access to any device be limited or removed - basically no access to Twitter, Truth, etc. I'm not sure how that works if people tweet or post on his behalf, but I'm sure it's been done before.

The judge could do that, yes, but I think it's extremely unlikely that they would. It's not like the specific crime Trump was indicted for has anything to do with internet access.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Main Paineframe posted:

The judge could do that, yes, but I think it's extremely unlikely that they would. It's not like the specific crime Trump was indicted for has anything to do with internet access.

Gag orders are routinely issued in criminal cases to keep various sides from trying to influence the trial outside the courtroom. Trump has no issues using his megaphone to do exactly that.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Cimber posted:

Gag orders are routinely issued in criminal cases to keep various sides from trying to influence the trial outside the courtroom. Trump has no issues using his megaphone to do exactly that.

It's gonna have to be narrowly tailored, otherwise the judge risks having that brought up on appeal.

Of course it doesn't matter whether he's gagged or not, his behavior won't change and they're not jailing him for contempt.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Cimber posted:

Gag orders are "don't talk about the specific details of the case to the press", not "we're confiscating all your devices and you're not allowed to talk to anyone for the duration of the trial".

That being said, jury tainting is less of a concern here, because I'd be shocked if the judge seriously expects to be able to find 12 American citizens who don't already have a preconceived opinion about whether Trump does crimes or is being framed for crimes.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Main Paineframe posted:

Gag orders are "don't talk about the specific details of the case to the press", not "we're confiscating all your devices and you're not allowed to talk to anyone for the duration of the trial".

That being said, jury tainting is less of a concern here, because I'd be shocked if the judge seriously expects to be able to find 12 American citizens who don't already have a preconceived opinion about whether Trump does crimes or is being framed for crimes.

Agree. He'd be ordered not to discuss the case in the press, in speeches or on social media. If he listens to that or not is another thing, with penalties increasing as the violations rack up.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

Isn't there bail conditions or something Judges can leverage to punish stuff like going on social media and issuing threats to the judge and whatnot?

Granted, different country, and struggling to remember the specifics, but I recall one of the trucker convoy dipshits who occupied downtown ottawa got hauled back infront of a judge because of some bullshit they were pulling and they were restricted from posting on social media, and I think when it was clear they were posting by proxy, they got hauled back in front of the judge again.

Do bail conditions even apply here? Is there rules that the judge can preemptively set out for Trump?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

V-Men posted:

I went based on age. I'm ignorant of his health.

At the risk of sparking a derail, Kennedy was in real rough shape throughout his presidency (and indeed life) despite outwardly appearing to be young and healthy (which was more down to amphetamines and pain killers he was on). He had Addison's disease, chronic stomach issues, and a wrecked back (which he'd nearly died during surgery trying to fix) just to top the list. To deal with the latter he eventually started wearing a back brace, which if you want to get mildly conspiratorial kinda sorta contributed to his death as it made it so he couldn't duck after the first shot in Dallas, giving Oswald the chance to pop his melon with round two.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

Isn't there bail conditions or something Judges can leverage to punish stuff like going on social media and issuing threats to the judge and whatnot?

Granted, different country, and struggling to remember the specifics, but I recall one of the trucker convoy dipshits who occupied downtown ottawa got hauled back infront of a judge because of some bullshit they were pulling and they were restricted from posting on social media, and I think when it was clear they were posting by proxy, they got hauled back in front of the judge again.

Do bail conditions even apply here? Is there rules that the judge can preemptively set out for Trump?

Well, there was the trial of Roger Stone where the judge slapped a heavy social media gag order on him after he posted a picture of the judge with crosshairs on her head.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Videos are popping up of his entourage getting on his plane and taking off.
No video of him getting on though.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OgNar posted:

Videos are popping up of his entourage getting on his plane and taking off.
No video of him getting on though.

He's doing the AI pictures thing of tunnelling to freedom/McDonald's, but starting from MAL

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cimber posted:

Well, there was the trial of Roger Stone where the judge slapped a heavy social media gag order on him after he posted a picture of the judge with crosshairs on her head.

and the consequences was basically nothing, unfortunately.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Trump basically admitted to taking classified documents with the intent to sell them back to the U.S. (or at least profit from them in some way) in an interview with Hannity.

Specifically, he cites that "Nixon got $18 million" from the federal government for his documents and the Watergate tapes.

I love Hannity desperately trying to shift the conversation once he realizes that he set Trump up to deny the whole thing and he is just diving in to admit it instead.

https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1642869119748911104

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
and then Hannity's all like "oooh, tapes? You have tapes of the raid? Gimme those, so I can show 'em like Tucker did with the Jan 6th tapes!"

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

He's just so loving stupid.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/paynushater/status/1642940613330100224?s=20

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

There are actually quite a few things that the pilot can do which might be the funniest thing ever, including "Transport former president Trump to face charges"

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

There is a non-zero chance that the plane just heads out over the Atlantic for Russia.

It's small, but larger than the chance of say, a political hijacking on a commercial flight doing the same thing, so not vanishingly small.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
That's not even a softball question. It's a loving tee ball prompt, and damned if this dumb poo poo still struck out.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Trump basically admitted to taking classified documents with the intent to sell them back to the U.S. (or at least profit from them in some way) in an interview with Hannity.

Specifically, he cites that "Nixon got $18 million" from the federal government for his documents and the Watergate tapes.

I love Hannity desperately trying to shift the conversation once he realizes that he set Trump up to deny the whole thing and he is just diving in to admit it instead.

https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1642869119748911104

Getting major "what is attempted murder anyway?" vibes from the way he is answering this question.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I don’t think they rebuilt the WTC towers, though

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Murgos posted:

There is a non-zero chance that the plane just heads out over the Atlantic for Russia.

It's small, but larger than the chance of say, a political hijacking on a commercial flight doing the same thing, so not vanishingly small.

There'd be a very high chance of just about everyone shooting it down on route, including Belarus and Russia, considering the extreme-alert levels of their airspaces.

To quote Palpatine, "Do it"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Murgos posted:

More of a chance him doing a D.B Cooper and just bailing out at 30000 ft with a few million strapped to his front, parachute to his back.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

happyhippy posted:

More of a chance him doing a D.B Cooper and just bailing out at 30000 ft with a few million strapped to his front, parachute to his back.

His handlers could do everything perfectly and the dumbass would be caught within 15 minutes of hitting the ground because...well he's Trump.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Alkydere posted:

His handlers could do everything perfectly and the dumbass would be caught within 15 minutes of hitting the ground because...well he's Trump.

He would tweet

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Murgos posted:

if trump were capable of that he wouldn't be trump.
trump will go, and do, whatever he's told or whatever he's done before. he wouldn't think to flee because he doesn't think that far ahead and doesn't have the ability to find out how to do that.
he's been in a tiny cage he built for himself his whole life and he has no idea how to get out because of inertia, laziness, and in general a smooth brain.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

cr0y posted:

He would tweet

Apparently when he landed at LaGuardia this afternoon, he kept everyone waiting like 15 minutes after the plane reached the terminal and everyone else got off because he was just sitting there browsing is phone reading all the reactions to his flight to New York. They'd have him before sundown because he'd do the same thing if he'd DB Cooper'd out of the plane.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Murgos posted:

Nah. I honestly think Trump loves this to be honest. THink of the ratings!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Trump was the one who announced the arrest in the first place (early). He loves being in the news.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Clarste posted:

Trump was the one who announced the arrest in the first place (early). He loves being in the news.

And then when it didn't happen he went on to praise how much he loves grand juries.

Dude literally writes his own reality.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Clarste posted:

Yes. He wants to be cuffed so it would be a huge spectacle that would inflate his ego and rev up the grift machine to full speed.

But, he’s also a massive coward.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Sounds like some sources are suggesting Trump will be facing 34 felony charges. Class E felonies carry a minimum sentence of a year in Prison, though it looks like there can be circumstances where a judge could go lower if the circumstances of the case warrant it.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Grip it and rip it posted:

Sounds like some sources are suggesting Trump will be facing 34 felony charges. Class E felonies carry a minimum sentence of a year in Prison, though it looks like there can be circumstances where a judge could go lower if the circumstances of the case warrant it.

https://twitter.com/Isikoff/status/1643045720935497772?t=pXvafeqMLZQpDwjYyyXrew&s=19