Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So correct, love watching things through a narrow tunnel with way too much sky and ground and not enough surroundings visible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Does anyone know if there's an actual difference between the seat on the Xmax 300 and the 300 Tech Max? The Tech's seat has a fancier cover and coloured stitching, but is it just that or is there gel or something else in the Tech's seat?

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Slavvy posted:

So correct, love watching things through a narrow tunnel with way too much sky and ground and not enough surroundings visible.

Exactly.

By now phone camera sensors are so drat good that people would be better off with the camera app automatically selecting wide screen, even if you hold the phone upright, just cropping the sensor (which could be square) the right way. Select 'portrait' if you actually do... you know... Portrait stuff. Horses for courses.

I will die on this hill. Together with Slavvy i guess.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

LimaBiker posted:

Exactly.

By now phone camera sensors are so drat good that people would be better off with the camera app automatically selecting wide screen, even if you hold the phone upright, just cropping the sensor (which could be square) the right way. Select 'portrait' if you actually do... you know... Portrait stuff. Horses for courses.

You know what was said in the other thread about triples, and why ptwins and p-4's dominate?

Momentum. You will never convince get the masses to care.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

LimaBiker posted:

Exactly.

I agree it makes for terrible looking videos. Phones should fix it automatically, or have a toggle, unless there's some hardware reason they can't. I'd love it if my Flip 4 switched to landscape when held half folded or something like that. It's just the reason people shoot that way is ergonomics. That's just how you hold a phone. It makes for lovely videos.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Brb just gonna turn my tv 90°, it's the correct way now

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I want to buy a new motorcycle to replace my Rebel 300 with. I want something that will handle highways better and also is a naked, sport or standard bike. One of the bikes I’ve been considering is one of the CB650s. They seem versatile and I think an inline 4 would be cool. I have seen people on the internet say they are a good second bike to get because the power only comes out at higher revs so it is easier to manage than other bikes with that much Hp, but I don’t completely trust random people on the internet. I have only been riding for about a year but I am a very conservative rider and pretty much never ride faster than whatever the posted speed limit is.

I guess what I am asking is a CB650 reasonable thing to consider or should I stick to looking at ninja 400s and CB500s at this point?

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

CongoJack posted:

I want to buy a new motorcycle to replace my Rebel 300 with. I want something that will handle highways better and also is a naked, sport or standard bike. One of the bikes I’ve been considering is one of the CB650s. They seem versatile and I think an inline 4 would be cool. I have seen people on the internet say they are a good second bike to get because the power only comes out at higher revs so it is easier to manage than other bikes with that much Hp, but I don’t completely trust random people on the internet. I have only been riding for about a year but I am a very conservative rider and pretty much never ride faster than whatever the posted speed limit is.

I guess what I am asking is a CB650 reasonable thing to consider or should I stick to looking at ninja 400s and CB500s at this point?

I don't think you are going to go wrong with a CB650, if you are talking new. It's a good offering in the middleweight standard bikes. I think it comes with a slipper clutch where the MT07 does not. I think it is a newer engine than the Ninja 650. Twins have an easy powerband as a general statement.

Edit: Whoa, it's an inline 4. Someone else answer. I figured it was like all the other twins with the other manufacturers. It should still be fine but that's weird and cool!

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 3, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Those people are wrong about the power, the cb650 has a very slow revving, torquey engine. If you're used to other fours it feels like the power never arrives and the engine is very reluctant, if you're still learning and used to twins it feels totally linear and predictable. Theyre pretty high quality bikes but they're heavy for their class. Imo they are the best looking bike in that class by a long way but you pay the price in weight and general stodginess, it takes a lot of work in the wrong direction to make an i4 match a similar sized twin. Otoh the mt07 is much more fun and interesting but looks like arse, sv650 is somewhere in-between. You really can't go wrong with any of the bikes in that category, just test ride before you buy.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

For anyone who hasn't seen it and/or the CA Service Manual thread, great post archived in there about engines and their different characteristics that helped me a lot in learning about translating numbers and specs to real world experiences:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3962805#post517389078

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Slavvy posted:

they are the best looking bike in that class by a long way but you pay the price in weight and general stodginess

This describes me pretty well, too, except for the best looking part. I’ll try and schedule a test ride this weekend.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

CongoJack posted:

If you need wind protection because of extended highway riding, Honda has the CB500X also. Great "smaller adventure" bike. It's not as cool as the cb650r though

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
The new Hornet 750 is a hell of a lot of bike for the money. Styling is generic as gently caress, but if you can look past that it seems a bargain.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I'm getting old enough where my brain is thinking of getting an R1200gs, question is do I want the 05-12 air/oil head or should I just spend a bit more and get one of the waterheads which admittedly I like a lot, especially how the clutch should be a much easier job.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You should get a multistrada

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

You should get a multistrada

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Lungboy posted:

The new Hornet 750 is a hell of a lot of bike for the money. Styling is generic as gently caress, but if you can look past that it seems a bargain.

They put a slightly differently tuned version of the same engine in the new Transalp, if you want the motor but would prefer an adventure bike.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

BabelFish posted:

They put a slightly differently tuned version of the same engine in the new Transalp, if you want the motor but would prefer an adventure bike.

They aren't cannibalizing their Africa Twin market with that bike, are they?
Kinda looks like a T7 killer depending on how it gets priced.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

They aren't cannibalizing their Africa Twin market with that bike, are they?
Kinda looks like a T7 killer depending on how it gets priced.

It's £10k in the UK I think.

E: £9500, £600 less than the T7.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Lungboy posted:

It's £10k in the UK I think.

E: £9500, £600 less than the T7.

That is what I am saying, it's got noticibly more oomph in the motor than the T7, same weight. Kawasaki's KLE650 and KLR650 are kind of bad in comparison to the T7, and the Transalp looks insane

That looks like a lot of ADV bike for the price! It's cool to see improvements in middleweight ADVs, and it looks like a budget Africa Twin on paper.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

My entirely made up opinion based on a couple of brief youtube reviews is that the Transalp will be a road focused soft-roader, like the original Transalp, whereas the T7 is more off-road focused, like the original Super Tenere.
The T7 is for adventure touring in Morocco, the Transalp is for adventure touring in Switzerland (or commuting to an office park in Milton Keynes).

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Honda selling you the bike you need, not the bike you want.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

My entirely made up opinion based on a couple of brief youtube reviews is that the Transalp will be a road focused soft-roader, like the original Transalp, whereas the T7 is more off-road focused, like the original Super Tenere.
The T7 is for adventure touring in Morocco, the Transalp is for adventure touring in Switzerland (or commuting to an office park in Milton Keynes).

With zero prior knowledge of the bike I can confirm this is 100% correct

Toe Rag posted:

Honda selling you the bike you need, not the bike you want.

Also correct

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lungboy posted:

Wish it was a four though. I think I have this mental idea that Hornets should be shrieking things with pointy tails, like their namesake.

I know that Slavvy says that the Hornet 600 is the most boring motorcycle ever made, but I still kind of want one.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is categorically false, it's the 900 that's incredibly boring

But both are phenomenally good looking compared to whatever this new appliance is meant to look like

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
I'm finally feeling like replacing my 2006 VFR and have started looking at some of the fancy new sport touring models. The Ducati Supersport 950 would be a slam dunk except it doesn't offer cruise control at all. Get hosed Ducati, if you don't want to put cruise on your sport-touring bike with full ride by wire, you're just dumb and stubborn. At least the local Japanese dealer is good about test rides so I can try out the 1000SX vs the S1000GT later.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I'll be interested to hear how you like the Suzuki compared to the Kawi. Be sure to get some insurance quotes before you make up your mind.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Hi goons. I am thinking of buying a motorcycle and don’t know where to start. I’d mostly use it to drive to work and back, and drive around town if I have to do errands. I live in LA so everything is a mixture of highways that don’t go where you want and side streets that do but suck. I’ve been riding my electric bike for a long time and I used to drive stick shift, but no motorcycle experience. Also I’m on the tall side, just above six feet. What are the recommendations?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

What's your budget?

Regardless of your answer anything Japanese, 500cc or less, with two or fewer cylinders would be fine

FBS fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 11, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FBS posted:

What's your budget?

Regardless of your answer anything Japanese, 500cc or less, with two or fewer cylinders would be fine

What he said

I'll add: avoid trying to get anything remotely cool, hip, different, old, trendy, custom or what your heart tells you

There is a newbie thread where the OP gets into more detail about models etc

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vino posted:

Hi goons. I am thinking of buying a motorcycle and don’t know where to start. I’d mostly use it to drive to work and back, and drive around town if I have to do errands. I live in LA so everything is a mixture of highways that don’t go where you want and side streets that do but suck. I’ve been riding my electric bike for a long time and I used to drive stick shift, but no motorcycle experience. Also I’m on the tall side, just above six feet. What are the recommendations?

Take the MSF basic class before you do anything else.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Ignore these naysayers and buy Road glide or Goldwing, and a GoPro.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Vino posted:

I've had zero regrets about choosing an MT-03 as my first bike, but at 6ft+ you may feel a little cramped on it. Might be worth going and sitting on one at least.

And yeah take the MSF class first

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Thanks friends, didn't see the newbie thread before but I am reading it and it is a good thread. I will take the MTC as it is called here.

No hard budget, but definitely not looking to spend that much. Honestly it recommends a Ninja 250 and that looks like a solid not to expensive bike. An MT-03 is also appealing in that if I own one then I will own one of each of both of the major yet completely disjoint types of products that Yamaha offers.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Unpopular opinion, go sit on bikes at a dealer. Buy something reasonable and new before the class. Now you have to pass the MSF because you just set the stakes high, can't give up if you are bad at it.

I did that 🤣

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Vino posted:

Thanks friends, didn't see the newbie thread before but I am reading it and it is a good thread. I will take the MTC as it is called here.

No hard budget, but definitely not looking to spend that much. Honestly it recommends a Ninja 250 and that looks like a solid not to expensive bike. An MT-03 is also appealing in that if I own one then I will own one of each of both of the major yet completely disjoint types of products that Yamaha offers.

I gotta update that OP because I wrote it back before the recent crop of excellent 300-400cc bikes appeared. The Ninja 250 is still perfectly fine as a learner but it's gotten pretty long in the tooth, and newer bikes usually now have ABS, which is a huge safety advantage.

Look at the Kawasaki Ninja 300/400, the Yamaha R3 and MT-03, and the Honda CB300 and Rebel 300. Any will work well for you. Get ABS if you can.

The BMW G 310 and KTM Duke 390 are also in the right power range for a newbie, but you want something Japanese.

It's weird that Suzuki doesn't make something to compete with the aforementioned other three Japanese brands in this space. Or if they do they don't import it to the USA.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Are you looking to ride just to commute and run errands or also as a hobby? Lots of a good riding very close to LA. I’m in SF and have a CB300R I’m looking to sell soon, FYI. No ABS, though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah afaik there was talk of a suzuki 3-500 but it never materialized

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Yeah afaik there was talk of a suzuki 3-500 but it never materialized

In true Suzuki fashion, they probably just slapped some bold new graphics on a DRZ and called it a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
If my Instagram feed is to be believed, LA commuters prefer souped up Ruckus scooters with stretched car tires. Also Groms with extended swing arms.

I've got a bit of experience commuting on something tiny (Honda Monkey 125) in Portland traffic. Very agile, fast enough, super cheap to operate and insure.

Unfortunately tiny so you will not get seen as easily as on a bigger bike.
Also given your stated height, you'd probably look like a circus bear on a mini motorcycle on something like that.
I second the suggestion to sit on a few at the dealership. However, that's no substitute for test riding one. That's really difficult practically and legally before you get your license and are more comfortable with different styles and sizes of bikes. Even then, dealers can be hit or miss wrt/ test rides.