Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

skooma512 posted:

Is there a way to take and occupy a megacity, anywhere but especially China?

Kiev has like 3 million people and Shanghai has 27. The Russians didn't even get to Kiev

that's why people keep trying to develop a neutron bomb

you'll never root everyone out of a city the size of, say, Los Angeles, but maybe you could make it impossible for them to survive but possible for your own people to survive there in the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

skooma512 posted:

Kiev has like 3 million people and Shanghai has 27. The Russians didn't even get to Kiev

It really depends on if you believe there's a functional difference between tactical and strategic nuclear weapons.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

nomad2020 posted:

To the extent to where some of the newer high power turbine rotor sections are being milled from solid blocks of titanium to try and scrape out a couple extra degrees of operating temperature.

Titanium is not in the power turbine, titanium is in the compressors. Power turbine airfoils are single crystal nickel superalloy which is the peak of metals more or less. The future is in ceramic composites to achieve the highest temperatures.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Frosted Flake posted:

It's halfway to an acknowledgement that landing on the Chinese mainland is beyond the capabilities of any branch of the US military, and so there's no mission for the USMC in that sort of war.

how many excuses can they make because they like little Japanese girls

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

It's halfway to an acknowledgement that landing on the Chinese mainland is beyond the capabilities of any branch of the US military, and so there's no mission for the USMC in that sort of war.

Islands exist in the Pacific. It’s a pretty major part of the whole tension in the area between multiple countries. They are important, even if absolutely no one ever wants to invade mainland China. And marines, wrong or right, are becoming increasingly built to put air defenses and anti-ship weapons on islands.

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

mlmp08 posted:

Islands exist in the Pacific. It’s a pretty major part of the whole tension in the area between multiple countries.

Actually this is untrue, there are no islands in the Pacific, all of the islands are higher up and above the ocean.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

500excf type r posted:

Titanium is not in the power turbine, titanium is in the compressors. Power turbine airfoils are single crystal nickel superalloy which is the peak of metals more or less. The future is in ceramic composites to achieve the highest temperatures.

im pretty sure deets on this subject is why the intel community is up to their tits in the hunter biden laptop saga. you can steal the dimensioned drawings for parts a lot easier than you can get hunks of unobtanium or insight into forming such a material, which i assume is a dreadful process. i would expect the materials science to be a much more guarded secret than the aerospace knowhow

the prc, motor sich, and hunter's hog are all connected :tinfoil:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Iirc Israel faced that problem when reverse engineering the mirage, the drawings don't tell you the exact composition of certain alloys and poo poo

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Delta-Wye posted:

im pretty sure deets on this subject is why the intel community is up to their tits in the hunter biden laptop saga. you can steal the dimensioned drawings for parts a lot easier than you can get hunks of unobtanium or insight into forming such a material, which i assume is a dreadful process. i would expect the materials science to be a much more guarded secret than the aerospace knowhow

Quoting from the Asia thread - feast your eyes on the advanced materials section

crepeface posted:

oh no china is dominating the US in solar panels, we have to stop them. no, we can't invest in it ourselves.

here's the list

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Filthy Hans posted:

that's why people keep trying to develop a neutron bomb

you'll never root everyone out of a city the size of, say, Los Angeles, but maybe you could make it impossible for them to survive but possible for your own people to survive there in the future

It's a modern city. You just surround it with guns and wait while they starve after a week from a safe distance.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

DancingShade posted:

It's a modern city. You just surround it with guns and wait while they starve after a week from a safe distance.

laughs Leningradishly.

But seriously when’s the last time the Marines actually did anything related to being marine? They apparently decided they were some kind desert troops for the last 30 years so they could drive around in humvees thousands of miles from the nearest beach.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

galagazombie posted:

laughs Leningradishly.

But seriously when’s the last time the Marines actually did anything related to being marine? They apparently decided they were some kind desert troops for the last 30 years so they could drive around in humvees thousands of miles from the nearest beach.

Leningrad did make a pretty good music video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU75EeIZaeA
(its Pertubator to some black & white soviet propaganda films)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Delta-Wye posted:

China already announced that they solved the fan blade problem a year ago

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/military/article/3170433/chinas-advanced-j-20-stealth-fighters-are-getting-engine

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Quoting from the Asia thread - feast your eyes on the advanced materials section

Lol at whatever convoluted metric they made up but that list is total nonsense, Iran is in no way in the top ten of highest quality research (just picking one example of why that list is BS)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Turds in magma posted:

Lol at whatever convoluted metric they made up but that list is total nonsense, Iran is in no way in the top ten of highest quality research (just picking one example of why that list is BS)

What would your personal top ten be? And which has the best national dish?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Top Gun Reference posted:

The marines should have just retrofitted ski jumps on the amphibious assault ships rather than deal with the F-35B. I guess they really need the deck space for more helicopters, or maybe some dingus in the USMC is still obsessed with jets ~operating from FOBs~ like they were with the Harrier, Falklands, etc. but can you imagine the delicate little flower that is the F-35 operating out of a dusty rear end FOB? Of course the real reason they committed to a VTOL F-35 is for grifting neoliberally, but still it's funny to think about.

edit: reminds me of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=814kuAcpemY&t=218s

I'm sorry, why are the Russians bragging about a fire proof fuselage? Is that not standard on military aircraft? Because it sounds really important.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno I always make my jets out of 100% pure magnesium doesn't everyone?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Turds in magma posted:

Just on first glance they might be measuring something like isolation. How do you count a paper with Chinese, UK and US affiliations?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I'm sorry, why are the Russians bragging about a fire proof fuselage? Is that not standard on military aircraft? Because it sounds really important.

What do you consider "fire proof" ? If they're just talking about surviving a guy with a zippo or having emergency fire extinguishers for when the engine catches fire, that's a very low bar for "fire proof"

There's no plane in existence that reacts well to being on fire. If someone tells you their plane is fireproof, they're lying to you.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Well in the video the airplane fails to take off and scrapes the bottom along the runway without actually catching fire.

Edit: they also claim they can land the plane on the fuselage if the landing gear fails and just brush it off.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Well in the video the airplane fails to take off and scrapes the bottom along the runway without actually catching fire.

Oh, yeah. That's pretty common. poo poo can get dicey, especially if any kind of flammable catches fire, but that's pretty normal stuff and isn't the same as being "fire proof"

You can find pictures of all different sorts of airplanes sitting on their belly either due to mishaps on takeoff, on landing, or as deliberate belly landings in response to damage or some other failure.

"just lift it up and it's good to go" is probably oversimplifying some repairs, but I'd believe a SU-25 can belly land and return to service. A-10s are the same, with how their gear is set up and designed, plus engine placement. SU-25s are sturdy, especially with the upgrades they got with lessons learned in Afghanistan, to firewall the engines from one another more sturdily so they were less likely to lose both engines to one shot.

It took substantive repairs, but a B-1B and F-22 scraped to a halt on their bellies and were repaired and returned to service.

This was always a goofy looking one:

mlmp08 has issued a correction as of 13:35 on Apr 3, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Just imagine a bob the builder "we can fix it" montage with a belly landed plane and you're kind of there.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Turds in magma posted:

H-index is a pretty common metric for academic contributions. All quantified metrics of academic contribution are pretty dumb, but H-index is a pretty standard one.

H-index isn’t a measure of quality, but a measure of how frequently cited works are:

quote:

The h-index is defined as the maximum value of h such that the given author/journal has published at least h papers that have each been cited at least h times.

And you might have missed that chart is for photovoltaics only, not research at large.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

yes, guarding industrial secrets like this only makes sense if you assume your competition is significantly stupider than you and can't figure out a solution too

see also asml and chip manufacturing

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Delta-Wye posted:

yes, guarding industrial secrets like this only makes sense if you assume your competition is significantly stupider than you and can't figure out a solution too

see also asml and chip manufacturing

But our top scientists have told us their skull shape makes them unable to innovate

impossiblyPoor
Apr 2, 2023

by Fritz the Horse

Chinese spy balloon gathered intelligence from sensitive U.S. military sites, despite U.S. efforts to block it

quote:

China was able to control the balloon so it could make multiple passes over some of the sites (at times flying figure-eight formations) and transmit the information it collected back to Beijing in real time, the three officials said. The intelligence China collected was mostly from electronic signals, which can be picked up from weapons systems or include communications from base personnel, rather than images, the officials said.

The three officials said China could have gathered much more intelligence from sensitive sites if not for the administration’s efforts to move around potential targets and obscure the balloon’s ability to pick up their electronic signals by stopping them from broadcasting or emitting signals.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/china-spy-balloon-collected-intelligence-us-military-bases-rcna77155

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

galagazombie posted:

laughs Leningradishly.

So far as I know, they still train for holding the Northern Flank of WW3 in Norway with the Royal Marines.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

skooma512 posted:

Frosted Flake posted:

Actually, it is entirely possible for American forces to take and hold portions of the Chinese mainland, inclusive of megacities. Here's my evidence:

Yangtze Campaign, 2073 - 2077 posted:

American forces invaded east-central China in 2074 and remained there until the Great War in October 2077. During its course, American T-45 power armor units, infantry and mechanized divisions were deployed in China, but they became bogged down on the mainland, putting a further drain on American resources and supply lines.

The tide of the war was changed in 2076 when T-51 power armor finally finished development, and the first unit was sent to China where they finally began to beat the Chinese forces. Chinese supply lines from the nations China had annexed began to break down, leading to the loss of the major cities of Shanghai and Nanjing.[1][2]

:imunfunny:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

impossiblyPoor posted:

Chinese spy balloon gathered intelligence from sensitive U.S. military sites, despite U.S. efforts to block it

What I'm getting from this is 21st century USA can't deal with technology from 1783.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Trabisnikof posted:

H-index is a pretty common metric for academic contributions. All quantified metrics of academic contribution are pretty dumb, but H-index is a pretty standard one.

H-index isn’t a measure of quality, but a measure of how frequently cited works are:

And you might have missed that chart is for photovoltaics only, not research at large.

I thought H-index was about consumption of H, which the US is still world leader of.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Hubbert posted:

Actually, it is entirely possible for American forces to take and hold portions of the Chinese mainland, inclusive of megacities. Here's my evidence:

:imunfunny:

even in our fantasies we can only imagine more grifting by the MIC

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

Oh, yeah. That's pretty common. poo poo can get dicey, especially if any kind of flammable catches fire, but that's pretty normal stuff and isn't the same as being "fire proof"

You can find pictures of all different sorts of airplanes sitting on their belly either due to mishaps on takeoff, on landing, or as deliberate belly landings in response to damage or some other failure.

"just lift it up and it's good to go" is probably oversimplifying some repairs, but I'd believe a SU-25 can belly land and return to service. A-10s are the same, with how their gear is set up and designed, plus engine placement. SU-25s are sturdy, especially with the upgrades they got with lessons learned in Afghanistan, to firewall the engines from one another more sturdily so they were less likely to lose both engines to one shot.

It took substantive repairs, but a B-1B and F-22 scraped to a halt on their bellies and were repaired and returned to service.

This was always a goofy looking one:

That plane is clearly sitting on a drop tank and a missile, five Pinocchios, do better

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
And a ventral fin

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

what happens every time i land on a carrier in war thunder

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Danann posted:

what happens every time i land on a carrier in war thunder

The repair crews in WT are the real heroes.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

https://www.reuters.com/world/aukus-needs-pool-tech-resources-us-edge-erodes-australian-intelligence-chief-2023-04-04/

Your vassals sharing your Ls to the world

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
huh why would they need any intelligence when they can just be racist

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
A tech gap is just an excuse for more embezzlement.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

quote:

Australia's top quantum computer scientist, Michelle Simmons, said AUKUS would need to overcome hurdles to collaboration, such as foreign investment and visa restrictions, and she urged the three nations to form a "joint mission" to develop a quantum computer.

More money for quantum computers, says person who does that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

It really depends on if you believe there's a functional difference between tactical and strategic nuclear weapons.

this means « do you think the opposition won’t just use their own nuclear weapons » right