Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's a nice video, although I am a bit tired of flagnerd posing.

Always love it when a video proclaims how good Confederate (absolutely Georgia and probably Alabama) and Mormon (the beehive) iconographies look while being mad about letters being on a flag.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Kennel posted:

Have CGP Grey roasting little girls state flags:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4w6808wJcU
So CGP Grey has joined the Ken Cuccinelli club in censoring the Virginia seal, a common depiction of a Roman Goddess is just too scandalous for him.

From the East India Company chat, Union Sulphur's house flag certainly has a piratical flair:

Rebel Blob fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 3, 2023

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Rebel Blob posted:

So CGP Grey has joined the Ken Cuccinelli club in censoring the Virginia seal, a common depiction of a Roman Goddess is just too scandalous for him.

He is afraid of demonetization. The YouTube channel is his full time job.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

exmachina posted:

He is afraid of demonetization. The YouTube channel is his full time job.

Also google does a poo poo job communicating why videos get demonetized and how to avoid it, so there's a lively ecosystem of hearsay and cargo culting. A lot of creators censor everything they even hear a rumor about causing videos to get yanked.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Showing some love (and hate) for some flags I didn't see upthread (I removed the couple I noticed after the fact :doh:).

First I gotta say, it feels like an Arby's night:

The official flag of the city of Calgary, Alberta. lol

This one seems a tad problematic to put it mildly, but surely attitudes were different in- 1980? Holy poo poo:

Corsica, France

As far as made-up flags for real places, I always liked this one:

Mars flag from Mars Attacks

A very chill, very made-up seeming flag for a real place:

State of Pernambuco, Brazil

Another nice rainbow. Who doesn't like rainbows?

Jewish Autonomous Oblast, Russia

River Gee County in Liberia again, because to me it didn't seem real:

But apparently it is, based on these stamps released in 2008.

Futanari Damacy fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 4, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Futanari Damacy posted:

However this one would probably be the best if it were actually an official flag:

Ne Québec sur moi.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Powered Descent posted:

Antarctica:

This one's actually in fairly common use. Its similarity to the UN flag is extremely intentional.

I have always disliked this one because it doesn't make any distinction between the ice shelves and the land :mad:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's clearly a stylized spaniel wearing a fake rhino horn, why would it?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Lot even the best white island flag.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/cgpgrey/status/1643259508083286016

sorry I think this man should be banned from talking about flags

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I think I'd like that better if it didn't have the star.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

This is an actually good modernistic flag

https://twitter.com/Mjmccleary/status/1643299162602225664?t=DnIrnLYL2ZXmU2pRs2r-OQ&s=19

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Badger of Basra posted:

Yuck. I don’t even understand the desire to make these flags as generic and uninteresting as possible. In a few decades, I think people will look on this aesthetic preference only slightly more favorably than the old seal on blue.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I would accept this if they removed Nevada from the flag.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm often not a fan of maps on flags, and if any states should be split up, California fits the bill.

On top of the fact that the specific state borders may not be eternal, borders are the most shallow thing you can use as a symbol for whatever you're making a flag for. Not much better than just signing your name. Rivers are probably a better thing to use maps of, because they're more relevant to how areas grow and how people interact rather than just "there's a coast and the desert side of the border is kinda bendy".

HopperUK posted:

I think I'd like that better if it didn't have the star.

The star is Alcatraz.

King Hong Kong posted:

Yuck. I don’t even understand the desire to make these flags as generic and uninteresting as possible. In a few decades, I think people will look on this aesthetic preference only slightly more favorably than the old seal on blue.

Stylistic minimalism makes sense as a way to back away from old, more elaborate designs, especially getting away from the complex details of coats of arms and seals that are the hallmarks of "bad flags".

But they do sure seem to often look the same though.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

King Hong Kong posted:

This is why Maryland has the ideal state flag

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The Flag Nerd Thread: good flags other than Maryland's

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Badger of Basra posted:

California's current flag is very distinct and fun and this guy should be put in flag prison.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

SlothfulCobra posted:

The star is Alcatraz.

Alcatraz is located well inside the territory of California. :raise:

The star is clearly the Farallones

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Badger of Basra posted:

Like many youtube people, he's an idiot who does a very good job at sounding smart on the internet.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

That's a great design.

For an airline frequent flyer card.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That's a great design.

For an airline frequent flyer card.

How would you know, no one flies to your country

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Modernist flags all look like airline logos

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Futanari Damacy posted:

This one seems a tad problematic to put it mildly, but surely attitudes were different in- 1980? Holy poo poo:

Corsica, France

The flag was only officially adopted and standardized in 1980, but the Moor's head design goes back to at least the 1750s, and given that neighboring Sardinia has used a similar emblem since the 13th century, it's likely that it's been in use in Corsica for at least that long.

I would note that while it is supposed to represent a victory over the Moors, the people of Corsica do seem to now see the figure as representing themselves - there is a variant of the flag where the Moor is blindfolded as a prisoner, which has historically often been flown as a sign of protest when the Corsicans feel their rights are being infringed upon.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

How would you know, no one flies to your country

Lots of people fly away though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Was that supposed to be some sort of burn or am I missing a joke?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Was that supposed to be some sort of burn or am I missing a joke?

Suomi ei ole hyvää.

Actually, it's pretty great, that's part of why I started learning the language. It's not exactly a popular tourist destination, on account of both nature and culture being mostly bog

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BonHair posted:

Suomi ei ole hyvää.

So don't eat it :confused:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

So don't eat it :confused:

You're not my dad

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BonHair posted:

You're not my dad

*smirks dadly* Amn't I?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

(I'mn't, tho)

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

*smirks dadly* Amn't I?

Come to think of it, I technically don't know my dad, so I guess if you hosed a Danish woman 35 years ago?

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm glad they switched back to the Union Jack on the bow of warships.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm glad they switched back to the Union Jack on the bow of warships.

I hope calling it the Union Jack pisses off the Brits.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Angry Salami posted:

The flag was only officially adopted and standardized in 1980, but the Moor's head design goes back to at least the 1750s, and given that neighboring Sardinia has used a similar emblem since the 13th century, it's likely that it's been in use in Corsica for at least that long.

I would note that while it is supposed to represent a victory over the Moors, the people of Corsica do seem to now see the figure as representing themselves - there is a variant of the flag where the Moor is blindfolded as a prisoner, which has historically often been flown as a sign of protest when the Corsicans feel their rights are being infringed upon.

Yeah, it's awkward to think about, but it goes back a long time, here's it in the 14th century.

Life as a christian island in the mediterranean back in the day would've been characterized with having to deal with a lot of muslim pirates, so it's easy to see how that would really stick in some people's minds as a national symbol. And then when you've spent centuries with it as your national symbol, well now you're stuck with it.

Some Hungarian coats of arms get a lot more aggressive with severed heads, although their depiction of Turks doesn't seem very relevant to modern racial politics.

As a bonus, another graphic hungarian coat of arms.

Guy had some kind of job castrating animals

a pipe smoking dog posted:

California's current flag is very distinct and fun

It sucks though.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I see the conversation has moved on, but I'm not gonna deprive the thread of a much improved flag for California:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Bah, that's so derivative of the original bear splitting the atom.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

bird food bathtub posted:

Bah, that's so derivative of the original bear splitting the atom.
It's a Hollywood remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

junidog
Feb 17, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

Guy had some kind of job castrating animals

With a hammer?