Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Lobok posted:

Makes me wonder, was there a time when trackable achievements overlapped with the era of game rentals? The percentages for late-game stuff would have been so skewed.

Yeah, if only briefly. I remember renting BioShock Infinite for the Xbox 360 from a Redbox kiosk back in 2013.

Fun fact, Redbox is now owned by Chicken Soup for the Soul Entertainment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh, redbox was still doing game rentals up through 2019 at least, and I was renting PS4 and Wii U games from hobby stores up until around when the Switch. Not that rentals are anywhere near as popular as back in the video store heyday, I'm sure.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah for me personally the rental era was over once the brick & mortar chains went away. That actually unlocked a very old memory, just realizing that the area I live in now had a dedicated game rental place when I was a kid. No movies, just games.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

exquisite tea posted:

Every single sound and visual indicator in Hi-Fi Rush is synced to the beat, and I do mean everything. Chai and enemies will purposely delay their windup to hit on the downbeat, and there's nothing that requires a faster reaction time than an eighth note. If it feels off, then it means you're off.

Yeah, it's extremely annoying and I really wish the game didn't do it at all. Chai waiting until the beat no matter when I press completely ruins the game's rhythm-based nature because it prevents me from queuing up future beats as I don't know if he's going to actually execute the move or not. It felt like I was playing with lag enabled. Allow me to be off then.

Edit: I also don't want it to play itself. At all. I expected that this was what the assist mode was for, but I don't like that he just does it by default.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 19:16 on Apr 3, 2023

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Guitar Hero let you hit early or late by an entire bar and didn't flash a big warning you weren't in timing. Other rhythm games nailed this decades ago.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, it's extremely annoying and I really wish the game didn't do it at all. Chai waiting until the beat no matter when I press completely ruins the game's rhythm-based nature because it prevents me from queuing up future beats as I don't know if he's going to actually execute the move or not. It felt like I was playing with lag enabled. Allow me to be off then.

Edit: I also don't want it to play itself. At all. I expected that this was what the assist mode was for, but I don't like that he just does it by default.

No it doesn't, the beauty of Hi-Fi Rush is that the move will come out no matter what no matter how fast or slow you push the buttons. You just get more rewards (damage, batteries, just timing) for pressing on-beat. The alternative would be even more punishing to new players because then you could just entirely fumble attacks. If it feels like you're lagging, that's you messing up, not the game.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

No it doesn't, the beauty of Hi-Fi Rush is that the move will come out no matter what no matter how fast or slow you push the buttons. You just get more rewards (damage, batteries, just timing) for pressing on-beat. The alternative would be even more punishing to new players because then you could just entirely fumble attacks.

There’s a few exceptions to this, most notably initial attacks will come out much slower if off beat in order to sync with the next beat, which is also a good way to further reward the player for being on beat (and probably the only good way to keep things synced)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zinkraptor posted:

There’s a few exceptions to this, most notably initial attacks will come out much slower if off beat in order to sync with the next beat, which is also a good way to further reward the player for being on beat (and probably the only good way to keep things synced)

This this this. Attacks constantly came out on the next beat or in the middle of a downbeat and it felt like crap. I don't want it to keep things synced to its own music, I want to play it like Crypt of the Necrodancer and make my own beat out of the music they composed in the background.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

This literally does not happen. The game's animations sync up with the downbeat only, the only exception being timed parries that sometimes require eighth note or triplet timing. Every single action takes place on the downbeat. If it feels off, then it means your button presses are off.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1616948787607490562?lang=en

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

exquisite tea posted:

This literally does not happen. The game's animations sync up with the downbeat only, the only exception being timed parries that sometimes require eighth note or triplet timing. Every single action takes place on the downbeat. If it feels off, then it means your button presses are off.

I genuinely don't believe you or the game when it says so. I've been hit so many times by enemies that attacked faster than me, not queued to any music I could tell, while Chai wound up a move. I did not have an issue with timing, it tells you directly how on rhythm you were. 85% is the requirement for an S-rank. If you want to assess my gameplay there you go, may I now admit the game isn't for me and move on without someone jumping my nuts about how I'm not playing it right?

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 20:11 on Apr 3, 2023

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
*plays to the music as instructed*

*gets told that actually, the music dictates the gameplay and you should try playing to it*

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

this meltdown is making me wanna try that game really bad

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

I remember the Seymour boss fight on the mountain in Final Fantasy X being a pretty big jump in difficulty, made much worse by the fact that you couldn't leave the zone once you entered! No backtracking to other areas for different equipment or customizations. I spent so much time running back and forth to grind out enough levels to be able to win...

kazil posted:

I remember spending so long to beat the tutorial I did not want to play the rest of the actual game at all
I never did beat that drat garage, and it made me glad I had only rented the game for a weekend.

vvvv edit: are you loving kidding me

Zero_Grade has a new favorite as of 20:35 on Apr 3, 2023

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
The best thing about Driver is after the tutorial garage, you basically never use any of those buttons again. You never have to burnout or slalom again IIRC. I think there were one or two missions where you had to scare a passenger by driving recklessly, and maybe you would have to hard brake before hitting a wall or do a sharp turn, but basically none of the skills thrust upon you in the first 2 minutes show up again.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

CJacobs posted:

I genuinely don't believe you or the game when it says so. I've been hit so many times by enemies that attacked faster than me, not queued to any music I could tell, while Chai wound up a move. I did not have an issue with timing, it tells you directly how on rhythm you were. 85% is the requirement for an S-rank. If you want to assess my gameplay there you go, may I now admit the game isn't for me and move on without someone jumping my nuts about how I'm not playing it right?

i haven't had a chance to play this one yet, but that's interesting if it just plain doesn't match up, most places I've seen review it said that the timing was something ingrained into the gameplay to the point that the harder game modes aren't exactly difficult if you get into the groove of combat, compared to other action-fighter games.

i might try this out over the weekend and putz with settings and see if I can recreate it since it's been on my wishlist for a bit, I like a good rhythm game and also like seeing how lenient you can play a rhythm game while still getting praised by it. Maybe there's an audio channel not playing right so it's not playing cues for an enemy attacking? or maybe some kinda desync. seems weird!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CzarChasm posted:

The best thing about Driver is after the tutorial garage, you basically never use any of those buttons again. You never have to burnout or slalom again IIRC. I think there were one or two missions where you had to scare a passenger by driving recklessly, and maybe you would have to hard brake before hitting a wall or do a sharp turn, but basically none of the skills thrust upon you in the first 2 minutes show up again.

The game to me was really just making short car chase films using the built-in video editor. I don't recall the reverse 180 being all that useful with cops on your rear end.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I like how looking up this Driver 1 tutorial has the player running the clock down to the wire for the the 360 and 180, and has 2 car strikes.

oh and yotube comments mentioning the final boss is this first thing.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

CJacobs posted:

, may I now admit the game isn't for me and move on without someone jumping my nuts about how I'm not playing it right?

Not until you watch a Mortal Kombat X all fatalities compilations video at ½ speed. :colbert:

Zero_Grade posted:

I remember the Seymour boss fight on the mountain in Final Fantasy X being a pretty big jump in difficulty, made much worse by the fact that you couldn't leave the zone once you entered! No backtracking to other areas for different equipment or customizations. I spent so much time running back and forth to grind out enough levels to be able to win...

You could have just ground out overdrive bars for all of the Summons and used them in rapid succession. :shrug:

Anyhow, the worst forced tutorial - outside of Driver 1 - was Gran Turismo 1's license system. Just let me race my vroom vroom cars!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The original Driver parking garage test is hidden in Driver: San Francisco as a bonus mission, it was tough but not impossible to beat after a few attempts.

DSF was a fun game, only drag-downs for me were that the framing 'All A Dream' story made everything seem a little pointless (though I see why they had to do it to include the 'Shift' car possession mechanic), and some ugly transphobic banter randomly in a possessed cop car. Still worth buying when its on sale for next-to-nothing if you like car games.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

Philippe posted:

gently caress the lockpicking minigame in Kingdom Come. gently caress it.

Yeah, I played it on console and hated the lockpicking! The devs added a different lockpicking minigame but I sucked at that one too. It kinda soured me on the game, between that and failing a quest cause I went to bed.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Don't take this the wrong way, but 75% is not very good. HFR is generous with rankings because the grade range on Just Timing is only from 60-85%, but in practice that means you are dropping at least 1 beat from every 4 beat count. And that's perfectly fine, because you have played the first two levels of a fairly difficult-to-master rhythm action game. Once you've played through the story once or twice, you will naturally improve on your timing and be able to intuit the beat a lot better. What you are suggesting, that the game does not actually sync to the downbeat and just goes off whatever timing it feels like, is not a thing that happens. All of Chai's attacks are exactly one quarter or half note long, and the fastest you will ever need to parry is one eighth note timing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Philippe posted:

I knew I was doing something wrong!

Serious though, it's fiddly and annoying and doesn't work. I wish they had just copied the Fallout minigame, because that's the best one.

The millers chest where you get the tutorial for lock picking will lock as soon as you look away, spend a little time loving with that lock until you get some levels in it and your time will be much easier. Once I got used to it I far preferred it to Oblivion and perhaps Skyrim

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
cjacobs desperately trying to get an s-rank in hi fi rush as exquisite tea rings a cowbell next to his ear

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Am I rushing or dragging?

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I've been playing New World with my brother and it's actually alright. Except every time I look up information the majority of it is out of date because they changed SO MANY things because of its apparently terrible starting systems.

You used to have to use orbs (keys) to enter excavations (instances). So I spent a while trying to figure out how to get these orbs only to eventually figure out that that system had been removed for all but the highest 3 excavations (I think). Then there are these boxes of supplies and provisions all over the place and they used to drop different things based on the zone, but that is no longer true. Skill trees are all wrong of course. And a whole bunch more that I can't bring to mind right now but it's been really annoying finding accurate information. Especially because there's no real Wowhead equivalent.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

exquisite tea posted:

Don't take this the wrong way, but 75% is not very good.

I don't wanna dogpile here cause I'm not feeling whatever CJacobs is feeling in hi fi rush, but I consider myself decent at rhythm games and bad at DMClikes and I got a straight S on the first level/section/whatever. If it doesn't click it doesn't click though, and there's always the chance of audio lag issues (getting a soundbar for my TV made Taiko no Tatsujin basically unplayable for me until I finally got all the settings adjusted right).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

exquisite tea posted:

Am I rushing or dragging?

You're trying hard to find an antagonist where there is none. Chai attacks on the downbeat no matter when you press and enemies attack on the beat when you cannot move and thus you get hit. It's a fantastic game and I said so several times while posting screenshots of its artistic nature. Then I posted a screenshot in response to your criticism and you said I wasn't a good player. Maybe you've got a problem that a nice, colorful game like Hi-Fi Rush can help you solve?

edit: Fair enough if there is a disconnect that means I can't tell if enemies' attacks connect on the beat or their swings start upon the beat. Like I said it's sensory overload for me personally but for those that it isn't it's a really wonderful game that doesn't actually care at all if you hit that beat cuz again your dude attacks to it automatically. You can have fun no matter how early or late you are.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 00:01 on Apr 4, 2023

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
these test results say your flow is wack. we'll have to operate immediately

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAEil3_D03k

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

these test results say your flow is wack. we'll have to operate immediately

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAEil3_D03k

Revealing Bethesda's true cowardice by not putting any Gloria Estefan songs on the Hi-Fi Rush soundtrack.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

tight aspirations posted:

Also, speaking of tutorials, the first level of Driver was harder than anything later, except perhaps the last level, and all you had to do was drive around a bit and slalom some pillars.

Dear god, this. I remember buying that game and, after about 3 hours in that stupid garage, considering returning it. Glad I stuck with it because it was great but you're right that the tutorial was harder than anything other than the final mission.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

nine-gear crow posted:

Revealing Bethesda's true cowardice by not putting any Gloria Estefan songs on the Hi-Fi Rush soundtrack.

The real question is how did they not license The Pillows for it

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cleretic posted:

Having thankfully got past the point that made me think about this, a question about some terrible game design for you all:

What are some difficulty spikes so bad that they genuinely feel like it was a mistake that it turned out like this?

Nioh's second real boss is apparently an infamous one; at the end of a level full of fairly slow enemies that are clearly trying to help you get the hang of watching for attack patterns and openings early in the game, suddenly it throws an absurdly fast enemy with effective invulnerability phases, status effects on her moves, and space control far beyond anything you've seen. It genuinely feels like she was designed for the 65% mark of the game but just kinda wound up in Extended Tutorial Zone somehow.

Another case I remember, although not well enough to know if it was true or just suspected: The Secret World had a notoriously hard dungeon boss that apparently stemmed from the fact they accidentally gave him the wrong shielding ability. Instead of the version intended for his actual strength (roughly 'just got to max level' difficulty), he was packing a shield intended for his endgame, nightmare-difficulty version, making him absurdly hard to kill.

Prototype is a really fun sandbox style game where your main powers are like, disguise and stealth stuff, you can pretend to be someone you eat and walk around town to snatch up other people and whatnot; leading to some really fun situations where you just grab a military guy, become him then eat up every military guy in a base one by one as everyone gets increasingly jumpy and paranoid.

So of course halfway through the game they introduce psychic super soldiers who not only can detect you in a radius and alert everyone to where you are, but are also immune to like half of your powers.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

nine-gear crow posted:

I don't know if anything could top the cafeteria scene, tbh.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Prototype is a really fun sandbox style game where your main powers are like, disguise and stealth stuff, you can pretend to be someone you eat and walk around town to snatch up other people and whatnot; leading to some really fun situations where you just grab a military guy, become him then eat up every military guy in a base one by one as everyone gets increasingly jumpy and paranoid.

So of course halfway through the game they introduce psychic super soldiers who not only can detect you in a radius and alert everyone to where you are, but are also immune to like half of your powers.

I'm sorry, the main power were whip fists that could knock attack helicopters out of the sky, and hulk smash mode that could destroy tanks in a punch.

And then halfway through the game they introduce soldiers with heat seeking missile launchers that can knockback-juggle you to death if you gently caress up a dodge.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I definitely seem to remember being stuck in the final (point of no return; one of my least favorite things in games!) area of Beyond Good and Evil with no way to get more healing items, so I just watched the ending on Youtube and reloaded an earlier save so I could just run around the world, ha.

Nuebot posted:

You just reminded me of the snipers from Arkham City! Ugh.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Dear god, this. I remember buying that game and, after about 3 hours in that stupid garage, considering returning it. Glad I stuck with it because it was great but you're right that the tutorial was harder than anything other than the final mission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt7crOA00hE

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That clip reminds me of an old Saturn game where the very first thing you did was complete a driving test course. It was hard as poo poo and I know lots of people who could never get past it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Are you sure that's not Driver you're thinking of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Gaius Marius posted:

The millers chest where you get the tutorial for lock picking will lock as soon as you look away, spend a little time loving with that lock until you get some levels in it and your time will be much easier. Once I got used to it I far preferred it to Oblivion and perhaps Skyrim

I haven't left Talmberg yet! I wanted the armour in the chest.