Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Ben looked really great in the one small stretch of games he had this season where he was healthy but sadly some people's bodies are just unable to contain the unholy amounts of talent housed within

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
He's not a bust lol.

Dude was legit great.

Even when he wasn't shooting.

Busts don't play well enough before injuries to get the contract he got.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Dexo posted:

He's not a bust lol.

Dude was legit great.

yeah the trade for him was kind of a bust (partially due to kyrie leaving although he wasnt playing at a high level) but the nets didnt really have much choice there. simmons has a solid Really Good basketball career

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
He was not ‘great’ lmao

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Shut down Luka and Kyrie and let Jaden Hardy be tank commander for a few games to get below Utah in the standings imo

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

i am a moron posted:

He was not ‘great’ lmao

For a few seasons, he absolutely was.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Dexo posted:

He's not a bust lol.

Dude was legit great.

With guys that young they don't have to play particularly well to get a max. Look at Wiggins. It depends on your definition of "bust;" I think obviously he did not live up to where he was picked.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

i am a moron posted:

He was not ‘great’ lmao

They keep saying they knew he couldn't shoot in college, and he seemed to have coasted on just sheer vigor of youth for a few seasons getting Rookie of the Year and 3 all star selections. Also, lots of these young dudes who have a good-great run of a few years then get heralded as the next coming of Lebron/Kobe/Shaq etc.

I was watching compilations of some shoe commercials for the past several years and it's insane the number of players they wanted to make the center of their campaign who pretty much vanished within a few years, guys touted as some future Hall of Famers and then just nothing Dante Exum lol.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

i am a moron posted:

He was not ‘great’ lmao

all rookie, (bogus) roty, all nba, 2x all defense, 3x all star

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
philly loves scrubbing history like certain "events"

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Kibner posted:

For a few seasons, he absolutely was.

He was definitely an NBA player, and an above average one sometimes at that. He’s also weirdly limited in a lot of ways and never came close to putting a team on his back. Calling him great is a weird dilution of the term when comparing NBA players imo

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Back to back all defense seasons averaging above 16/7/7 in both is great

I’m outraged that we escaped “how good is Ben Simmons” chat to land at “how good was Ben Simmons”

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
16-8-8 with all league defense is great you weirdos

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

morestuff posted:

16-8-8 with all league defense is great you weirdos

seriously, he had elite passing & vision with stellar defense. we call point guards great for having one of those qualities plus 12 ppg

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Name one PG who has played in the same era as Benjamin Simmons who is scoring under 20 ppg people are calling great

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

i am a moron posted:

Name one PG who has played in the same era as Benjamin Simmons who is scoring under 20 ppg people are calling great
Chris Paul hasn't scored 20 PPG in a season since about 2008.

An NBA point guard doesn't have to score 20+ every night to have a star-like impact on his team.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
This forums insane hatred of Ben is honestly hilarious. People straight up think he’s faking his injuries. So I don’t think you will get a productive discussion on this

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Chris Paul’s career started around the same time Ben was in preschool lmao

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

i am a moron posted:

Chris Paul’s career started around the same time Ben was in preschool lmao
And he was still making All-Star Games and All-NBA Teams as of last year ya goof

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Simmo the simp. Imho

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Jrue Holiday has average 20 points once in his career

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Yeah, I fully agree that until his back started to go, he was a very good player. Great perimeter defender, with the size and speed to guard almost any position. He was also a good ball handler, well enough to run the offense for several seasons. He was badly miscast as the #2 scorer for Philly as he never developed the offensive skills to do so and would have been in a much better role had Fultz developed into goto scorer or if Jimmy Butler hadn't wasn't mysteriously unhappy in Philly for reasons that I wont discuss in this post

His ideal career arc looks a lot more like Draymond Green where he got to play alongside multiple elite scorers and could have played to his strengths (versatility and defense) rather than constantly being needed to score

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i am a moron posted:

lonzo ball

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Metapod posted:

Jrue Holiday has average 20 points once in his career

Glue guy

Aye Doc posted:

lonzo ball

Criteria is great, not people who happen to be on rosters

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Ben Simmons, the guy who basically poo poo his pants in an elimination game and got so embarrassed his career ended is great. MJ is rolling in his giant bed

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

:buddy:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

A "glue guy" who just happened to make the All-Star Game this year.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

So now everyone who gets a media award is great? Your callous disregard for the word is disgusting

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I didn't really watch him too much on the Nets but did they ever figure out how to use him without him messing up the spacing? Because as good and solid as he is (16-8-8 etc), I don't know how you find success with him in a grind it out playoff series. I know Philly 2019 team probably could've won the title but that was a stacked team and they could (almost) afford having a pylon out there when Embiid and Butler were so good at scoring in the half court

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Salvor_Hardin posted:

You could probably surreptitiously keep it open on a tab or 2nd monitor.

in person meeting with my boss in the same meeting room :smugmrgw:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

BWV posted:

I didn't really watch him too much on the Nets but did they ever figure out how to use him without him messing up the spacing? Because as good and solid as he is (16-8-8 etc), I don't know how you find success with him in a grind it out playoff series. I know Philly 2019 team probably could've won the title but that was a stacked team and they could (almost) afford having a pylon out there when Embiid and Butler were so good at scoring in the half court

I thought Ben was really good when Durant was around this season because Durant makes a lot of stuff defenses do completely irrelevant.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

i am a moron posted:

So now everyone who gets a media award is great? Your callous disregard for the word is disgusting

you must be a "small hof" kinda guy

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Jrue Holiday was the Olympic MVP and ruined Booker's life helping his team win a title like 10 days before that. He's great.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Rick posted:

Jrue Holiday was the Olympic MVP and ruined Booker's life helping his team win a title like 10 days before that. He's great.

Now whos the little brother

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i am a moron posted:

not only this but i think everyone with a ring should get in the hall of fame too

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

CharlestheHammer posted:

This forums insane hatred of Ben is honestly hilarious. People straight up think he’s faking his injuries. So I don’t think you will get a productive discussion on this

i think he’s faking his injuries, or at least playing up minor injuries to avoid the court

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Simmons is basically greg oden that's played 300 games. I dont want to dump on him but also if you think that's a great career then I dont know what to say either

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I'm doing a thread audible cavs posters tell me about Mobleys improvement this year

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

hifi posted:

Now whos the little brother

Lol probably the person taking me trying to prop up Jrue Holiday as a shot at the Suns probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

GoutPatrol posted:

you must be a "small hof" kinda guy

Lol nah I just realized this is a subjective argument so I started posting a bunch of crap. *puts on my fedora, tips it to thread*