Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Can Link finally brush his teeth in this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Why everyone ask pet the dog but not brush the tooth

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Can't wait for multiplayer

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

quiggy posted:

the smoke coming out of the stables in the totk gameplay is actually the new feature where you can turn your horse into glue

I felt SO bad when my first horse died, even though it had terrible stats.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Capfalcon posted:

I sure hope TOTK has crazy hidden stuff like the dead horse fairy

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Inzombiac posted:

I sure hope TOTK has crazy hidden stuff like the dead horse fairy

actually totk just gives you a big list of all the neat stuff right at the very beginning and puts quest markers to find it, they thought all the "discovery" and "adventure" stuff in the last game was overrated

source: it was revealed to me in a dream

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

quiggy posted:

the smoke coming out of the stables in the totk gameplay is actually the new feature where you can turn your horse into glue

If they let you slaughter countless other animals for materials, why not horses as well? I'm pretty sure pigs are more intelligent than horses, and you can kill the hell out of those.

edit: Ultrahand actually requires glue harvested from horses to function

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Ytlaya posted:

If they let you slaughter countless other animals for materials, why not horses as well? I'm pretty sure pigs are more intelligent than horses, and you can kill the hell out of those.

Yeah but pigs taste good

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ While this is an argument in favor of killing the pigs, it isn't an argument against killing the horses!

Capfalcon posted:

If you ever caused at least one horse to die, you can't get the true ending and instead just get a screen consisting of gravestones for each horse that died under your command.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

quiggy posted:

actually totk just gives you a big list of all the neat stuff right at the very beginning and puts quest markers to find it, they thought all the "discovery" and "adventure" stuff in the last game was overrated

source: it was revealed to me in a dream

this is why the numbered coordinates are on the map, totk revolves around virtual geocaching

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Khanstant posted:

I hated the cutscenes in BotW where Link ate some hosed up berries and just shat himself in the wilderness for 3 days.

I know people love his contributions to Elden Ring but ultimately I think it was a mistake for Nintendo to collaborate with GRRM

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Capfalcon posted:

Same, I reloaded, and then regretted that dozens of hours later when I discovered the horse god, because that would have been an incredible emergent moment if I had let the original death remain.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Just Andi Now posted:

Normally I'd agree with you, but I've seen some people just absolutely destroy Hyrule Guessr, and that's just the people putting that on youtube.

That could just be people being really good at reading topography maps :shrug: I got a near-perfect score the first time I played and I'm far from familiar with every nook and cranny, but have used topo maps extensively while hiking/camping

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

This guy does some really interesting deep-dive videos about the game, including completing the game in a minimalist 100% challenge run (get all the Koroks, unlock all the main map landmarks, simply activating the shrines without actually going into them since they're not required etc.) He released this video on the theory recently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8WZqM6xKWY

This is super cool, and shows a lot of stuff I didn't notice before - thanks!

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Khanstant posted:

I hated the cutscenes in BotW where Link ate some hosed up berries and just shat himself in the wilderness for 3 days.

George RR Martin's Trance of Tetrads does not appeal

I mean I liked Elden Ring but eww, not in my Nintendo property

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

quiggy posted:

Gotta fuel Fuse somehow.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The best cutscene is in Age of Calamity where some of the guardians are chatting and the camera pans to Link and a bunch of soldiers literally just eating rocks and hooting and hollering about it

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

This guy does some really interesting deep-dive videos about the game, including completing the game in a minimalist 100% challenge run (get all the Koroks, unlock all the main map landmarks, simply activating the shrines without actually going into them since they're not required etc.) He released this video on the theory recently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8WZqM6xKWY

man i love poo poo like this

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

quiggy posted:

FINALLY!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

quiggy posted:

Yeah but pigs taste good

I'm gonna let you know that horse isn't bad.

Donkey on the other hand is loving delicious.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I accidentally killed my first horse in botw by running it off a cliff where it took fall damage. I bailed and parasailed away.

I felt horrible

Every time I get a horse in any game I name it Cobalt after Jack Packard's horse in BOTW. Cobalt threw himself off a cliff during a Twitch stream when Jack picked up a rock and dropped it too close to the horse, startling him into running forwards to his certain death. He hadn't found the horse god at that point in his playthrough and didn't know Cobalt could be revived :smith:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Khanstant posted:

Having them all in real time was certainly A Decision as well.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Khanstant posted:

Into the breath of the wild

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The best cutscene is in Age of Calamity where some of the guardians are chatting and the camera pans to Link and a bunch of soldiers literally just eating rocks and hooting and hollering about it

lol yeah that cutscene got a hearty chortle out of me. AoC has the best cutscenes in the franchise imo, I really hope the Zelda team kept some of that spirit in the TotK story

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
When there are only two cutscenes they better make them really good ones.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TotK should have perma-death

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I remember taking a break after one of those long unstoppable cutscenes of Link using the toilet and taking a shower to craft brownie bombs and coming back to find Link dead, no idea what killed me. Permadrath off the table for me because of that sort of thing.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I don't see why I should get multiple lives in video games when I only get one in the real world. That's just not very realistic.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ytlaya posted:

TotK is a rougelike. When you die, you can only keep whatever items you can fit on your horse’s saddlebags.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
The entire kingdom of Hyrule is procedurally regenerated every time you die, but depending on how well you did you might get enough metacurrency to buy a quarter of a heart or start with bombs

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Khanstant posted:

I remember taking a break after one of those long unstoppable cutscenes of Link using the toilet and taking a shower to craft brownie bombs and coming back to find Link dead, no idea what killed me. Permadrath off the table for me because of that sort of thing.

What s a unstoppable cutscene

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It can technically be skipped but is too powerful for anyone to bring themselves to do it.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

In TotK Link will have to spread Din's fire from bonfire to bonfire, bringing light to a broken hyrule

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Still so annoyed how many torches I lit in Dark Souls 2 hoping to solve the secret torch puzzles and get a treasure.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

MokBa posted:

I don't see why I should get multiple lives in video games when I only get one in the real world. That's just not very realistic.

You get a continue at your last save if you say "No, no, that's not how it happened" right after you die.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

aka Link durability

but by fusing the bodies or organs of random people and animals to yourself you can stave off the effects of weakened durability

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

quiggy posted:

I misread this and thought you were saying smoke would come out of the horses. Like GTA, where you car takes damage and begins to smoke/burn. Like some sort of hosed up tin-horses.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Martman posted:

aka Link durability

but by fusing the bodies or organs of random people and animals to yourself you can stave off the effects of weakened durability

thanks, going to be thinking about GodLink the Grafted all day

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Lunatic Sledge posted:

thanks, going to be thinking about GodLink the Grafted all day
Zelda's Monster, not to be confused with Zelda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Suburban Dad posted:

I'm excited but still not pre-BOTW excited. I remember when this trailer dropped in 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw47_q9wbBE
...and I immediately preordered a switch and the game right after watching it. I really hope they release a trailer with this level of hype to it and show a bit more about the world and story.

that trailer and botw are goated. don't think they can top the leap that happened with zelda games pre-botw to botw... it was insane.