Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Turgid Flagella
Mar 18, 2023

cinci zoo sniper posted:

it's because they're not accrued by 1, but actually issued as a rating on the 1-3 scale. this happens in a conference of secret restaurant snob shoppers, and the decision requires unanimity. so when you multiply that process with 3-star definition being "worth flying across the planet just to eat there", it ends up being very selective (because end consumer of these is people affluent enough to have legit yelling power)

It's a gimmick to sell tires

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've eaten at a michelin star restaurant before. It was pretty worth it but I wouldn't do it regularly or anything

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

I've eaten at a michelin star restaurant before. It was pretty worth it but I wouldn't do it regularly or anything

it's like contemporary food museum so yeah, one every 3-6 months is about as frequent as i car to do despite my infatuation with increasingly questionable cheese (casu martzu NO)

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

in the end, i actually managed to get to noma and it was a glorious experience which i will remember for the rest of my life

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

in the end, i actually managed to get to noma and it was a glorious experience which i will remember for the rest of my life

they're closing in 2024, so i want to book myself a table before then.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

V. Illych L. posted:

quietly hauling off all the wood they use for smoking i bet

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Turgid Flagella posted:

It's a gimmick to sell tires

The tires taste like poo poo though

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
that's why you need the maps to restaurants

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
are you having fun in fyad avs

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Cease to Hope posted:

are you having fun in fyad avs
i am engaging in cultural exchange

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i don't actually know anything about fyad

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
like, i try to picture the platonic fyad poster and it's just a big gray blob

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

a strange fowl posted:

i am engaging in cultural exchange

the exchange seems to mostly be your posts in return for probation, unfortunately. they do not appreciate your posting oeuvre

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Cease to Hope posted:

the exchange seems to mostly be your posts in return for probation, unfortunately. they do not appreciate your posting oeuvre
it is an honour to have my rear end kicked

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
All things considered I thought you did a really good job. I've seen people make much worse first attempts and stick there.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

like, i try to picture the platonic fyad poster and it's just a big gray blob

the only thing grey about corsair is his hair

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aempo7Qv1gw

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Is Ted Lasso actually good? Or just one of those weird shows that people write about, but nobody watches?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Is Ted Lasso actually good? Or just one of those weird shows that people write about, but nobody watches?

i can't say i know a lot of people using atv+, but the show is getting fair rap within my earshot. my takeaway is that it's a high-budget take on making inoffensive b-tier comedy

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I want more Last Man On Earth. He has a S5 idea that can pick up any time and more Sudekis singing Once

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 4, 2023

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Harold Fjord posted:

I want more Last Man On Earth. He has a S5 idea that can pick up any time and more Sudekis singing Once

Only thing I can think of when I watch that show is this family guy clip. Terrible name for a pretty good show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYwZcRLM_4c&t=114s

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 4, 2023

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I enjoyed it. It's wholesome in a way that isn't cloying, at least to me.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It’s good yeah. It’s easy for people to be annoying about it but it’s still good.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I saw a car with a vanity license plate today that said "UNBRTHRD" and the only thing I can get from it is "Unbirthed."

I have no idea what that would mean or why you would want that as your vanity plate, though.

Pirate Radar posted:

It’s good yeah. It’s easy for people to be annoying about it but it’s still good.

Is it funny? Clever? Dramatic? Wholesome? Smart?

I don't really know what the appeal or premise is other than an American is running a soccer team in the U.K.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
maybe it's a weird boat dude who's "unberthed"

fake edit: they're "unbothered", that's why the second r is there. my gut sense is that they're an rear end in a top hat

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
no wait, that doesn't work. "unbrothered"? "number third"?

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Obviously the car belongs to Ulysses Nabors III.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

no wait, that doesn't work. "unbrothered"? "number third"?

i don't know, but given that i just recently learned that the "u4" keyboard switches i grabbed are supposed to mean "euphoria", i'm not too keen to learn exactly what kind of eldritch linguistics horror "UNBRTHRD" is

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
when you apply for a vanity plate, you're required to give an explanation so the state dmv can ensure it's not obscene. so there's an answer out there somewhere

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
https://www.tiktok.com/@reno911tv/video/7217839937222151467

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Is it funny? Clever? Dramatic? Wholesome? Smart?

I don't really know what the appeal or premise is other than an American is running a soccer team in the U.K.

Ymmv obviously but it can be all of those things. An American college football coach gets hired to manage a British soccer team, it turns out that the old owner cheated on his wife and she got the team in the divorce and is now trying to ruin the team deliberately to spite him. The American coach seems stupid at first but wins people over with his social skills and heartfelt goodness, convincing her to try and make the team a success instead. But it turns out that he took the job because of a death in the family that he doesn’t know how to deal with and is struggling to process. The various personalities of the players and staff bounce off each other in interesting ways.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mao

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1643450909316243456

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

what the hell. dennis hopper did not play bowser. he was king koopa, who is descended from tyrannosaurus rex. this clown didn't do their research and i am seriously questioning their dedication to the super mario universe

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

quote:

But it is also, if I check the clock, Mario Time.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ted Lasso and Severance on Apple+ are good, the rest can take or leave. It was good for my free month. Maybe when Severance comes back I will re-up for another.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Just a series of amazing sentences in that review from the Associated Press:

quote:

“The Super Mario Bros. Movie” begins much like Spike Lee’s “Do the Right Thing”

quote:

There are a few moments of stereotypical Italian life — pasta and a big family dinner — before the brothers’ attempt to fix a water main break drops them through a portal

quote:

In future Brooklyn-set sequels, Mario will presumably combat waves of strollers and hipsters.

quote:

On the other side, Bowser lords over a Koopa Troop army in scenes that can feel like the most surreal imitation yet of “Triumph of the Will.”

quote:

But while shrinking or enlarging are possible on this other side of the green pipe, there’s never any mention of the possibility of lives being lost as Mario makes his way through mushroom patches and question-mark boxes.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

it fills me with despair

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

why are the children of today still drinking the same spoiled cultural milk from thirty years ago. it's not right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well I'm excited, and I think it's cool that kids like Super Mario because Super Mario rules and has always ruled. :colbert: