Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

skooma512 posted:

Tether will come up with 10 billion not-but-totally-USD out of nowhere and everyone will clap and bitcoin will break over 30k again.

This is the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Like, Tether says they fund these massive drops from commercial paper, which I understand to mean corporate bonds. Like that kind of poo poo flew in 2020 but with elevated interest rates I just can't believe that anymore lol

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

actionjackson posted:

i meant to post this here first instead of capitalism.png but gently caress it i had to see it and now you do too

instead of a bar mitzvah or quinceanera they have to prove that they can correctly get to inbox zero before they can be considered an adult

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

skooma512 posted:

Like, Tether says they fund these massive drops from commercial paper, which I understand to mean corporate bonds. Like that kind of poo poo flew in 2020 but with elevated interest rates I just can't believe that anymore lol

its easy to get good rates on your bonds when they are only bought by companies you totally don't fully control through shell companies

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

skooma512 posted:

it didn't fly in 2020, they were "buying" more commercial paper than existed on the market, and doing it when the markets were closed.

e: on the market, i.e. being traded. not more than the sum total of all commercial debt, lol.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

actionjackson posted:

i meant to post this here first instead of capitalism.png but gently caress it i had to see it and now you do too

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > C-SPAM > [doomsday economics] Shareholders of Banks were raped by the staff

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Bronze age labor action

https://twitter.com/Abstruse/status/1642520048660099072
https://twitter.com/Abstruse/status/1642669966154498050

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

FlapYoJacks posted:

In the same month i lose that court case my loving dog dies from a tumor hitting her lung and causing her to start violently shaking and coughing up blood. When it rains it pours I guess.

I’ll always miss her. 18.5 years is a long time for a dog. She had so much more to give. At least sje was able to reach the ER and pass on our arms sedated and not afraid. It’s so quiet here now. :smith:

I’m so sorry FYC.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://t.co/R1lZpaCr5Q

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

actionjackson posted:

Mr. Kratsas, 44, had already noticed a dearth of unclaimed email addresses with a person’s full name without numbers, special characters or other concessions...

this isn't that bad. i was expecting the story would be about how he's a "disruptive innovator" who had the bright idea to register countless FirstnameLastname@gmail.com address to ransom them off to teenagers

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
do buy some of our oil

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

:hmmyes:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

One person's doomsday is another person's opportunity.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

In the same month i lose that court case my loving dog dies from a tumor hitting her lung and causing her to start violently shaking and coughing up blood. When it rains it pours I guess.

I’ll always miss her. 18.5 years is a long time for a dog. She had so much more to give. At least sje was able to reach the ER and pass on our arms sedated and not afraid. It’s so quiet here now. :smith:

Sorry for your loss friend.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Do you think the story is advertisement?

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://mobile.twitter.com/_TimBarker/status/1643018118418006016

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Willa Rogers posted:

under the table washing their feet

Again, what's the one thing everybody knows about Holy Thursday? Jesus washed their feet. It's why priests wash the feet of parishioners on Holy Thursday. A rabbi washing the feet of his disciples was a revolutionary act, but somehow the radical edge of that inversion of power, and what it means for us all, has been totally sanded away.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

Here, have an AI-generated jesus selfie to cleanse your palate.

AI a fan of The Last Temptation of Christ?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

To answer his question

The

Dow

Soars

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Euphoriaphone posted:

this isn't that bad.

:chloe:

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Campgrounds are $30 a night fyi
If you're in the Western US, you can do dispersed camping on Forest Service or BLM land for free. If you don't live in the western US (or Scotland, Norway, some of NZ) - you're out of luck, PAL!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/03/google-to-cut-down-on-employee-laptops-services-and-staplers-to-save.html

quote:

Google to cut down on employee laptops, services and staplers for ‘multi-year’ savings

Google’s finance chief Ruth Porat recently said in a rare companywide email that the company is making cuts to employee services.

“These are big, multi-year efforts,” Porat said in a Friday email titled: “Our company-wide OKR on durable savings.” Elements of the email were previously reported by The Wall Street Journal.

In separate documents viewed by CNBC, Google said it’s cutting back on fitness classes, staplers, tape and the frequency of laptop replacements for employees.

One of the company’s important objectives for 2023 is to “deliver durable savings through improved velocity and efficiency.” Porat said in the email. “All PAs and Functions are working toward this,” she said, referring to product areas. OKR stands for objectives and key results.

The latest cost-cutting measures come as Alphabet-owned Google continues its most severe era of cost cuts in its almost two decades as a public company. The company said in January that it was eliminating 12,000 jobs, representing about 6% of its workforce, to reckon with slowing sales growth following record head count growth.

Cuts have shown up in other ways. The company declined to pay the remainder of laid-off employees’ maternity and medical leaves, CNBC previously reported.

In her recent email, Porat said the layoffs were “the hardest decisions we’ve had to make as a company.”

“This work is particularly vital because of our recent growth, the challenging economic environment, and our incredible investment opportunities to drive technology forward — particularly in AI,” Porat’s email said.

Porat referred to the year 2008 twice in her email.

“We’ve been here before,” the email stated. “Back in 2008, our expenses were growing faster than our revenue. We improved machine utilization, narrowed our real estate investments, tightened our belt on T&E budgets, cafes, micro kitchens and mobile phone usage, and removed the hybrid vehicle subsidiary.”

“Just as we did in 2008, we’ll be looking at data to identify other areas of spending that aren’t as effective as they should be, or that don’t scale at our size.”

In a statement to CNBC, a spokesperson said, “As we’ve publicly stated, we have a company goal to make durable savings through improved velocity and efficiency. As part of this, we’re making some practical changes to help us remain responsible stewards of our resources while continuing to offer industry-leading perks, benefits and amenities.”

Among the equipment changes, Google is pausing refreshes for laptops, desktop PCs and monitors. It’s also “changing how often equipment is replaced,” according to internal documents viewed by CNBC.

Google employees who are not in engineering roles but require a new laptop will receive a Chromebook by default. Chromebooks are laptops made by Google and use a Google-based operating system called Chrome OS.

It’s a shift from the range of offerings, such as Apple MacBooks, that were previously available to employees. “It also provides the best opportunity across all of our managed devices to prevent external compromise,” one document about the laptop changes said.

An employee can no longer expense mobile phones if one is available internally, the document also stated. And employees will need director “or above” approval if they need an accessory that costs more than $1,000 and isn’t available internally.

Under a section titled “Desktops and Workstations,” the company said CloudTop, the company’s internal virtual workstation, will be “the default desktop” for Googlers.

In February, CNBC reported the company asked its cloud employees and partners to share desks by alternating days and are expected to transition to relying on CloudTop for their workstations.

Google employees have also noticed some more extreme cutbacks to office supplies in recent weeks. Staplers and tape are no longer being provided to print stations companywide as “part of a cost effectiveness initiative,” according to a separate, internal facilities directive viewed by CNBC.

“We have been asked to pull all tape/dispensers throughout the building,” a San Francisco facility directive stated. “If you need a stapler or tape, the receptionist desk has them to borrow.”

A Google spokesperson said staplers and tape continue to be offered companywide but did not provide details.

Google’s also cutting some availability of employee services.

“We set a high bar for industry-leading perks, benefits and office amenities, and we will continue that into the future,” Porat’s email stated. “However, some programs need to evolve for how Google works today.”

“These are mostly minor adjustments,” stated a separate internal document from the company’s real estate and workplace team. The document said food, fitness, massage and transportation programs were designed for when Googlers were coming in five days a week.

“Now that most of us are in 3 days a week, we’ve noticed our supply/demand ratios are a bit out of sync: We’ve baked too many muffins on a Monday, seen GBuses run with just one passenger, and offered yoga classes on a Friday afternoon when folks are more likely to be working from home,” the document stated.

As a result, Google may close cafes on Mondays and Fridays and shut down some facilities that are “underutilized” due to hybrid schedules, the document states.

As a part of the January U.S. layoffs, the company let go of more than two dozen on-site massage therapists.

Read the full email from Ruth Porat here:

quote:

This year, one of our important company OKRs is to deliver durable savings through improved velocity and efficiency. All PAs and Functions are working towards this: Googlers have asked for more detail so we’re sharing more information below. This work is particularly vital because of our recent growth, the challenging economic environment, and our incredible investment opportunities to drive technology forward—particularly in AI.

We’ve been here before. Back in 2008, our expenses were growing faster than our revenue. We improved machine utilization, narrowed our real estate investments, tightened our belt on T&E budgets, cafes, Microkitchens and mobile phone usage, and removed the hybrid vehicle subsidy. Since then, we’ve continued to rebalance based on data about how programs and services are being used.

How we’re approaching this

The hardest decisions we’ve had to make as a company to reduce our workforce, and that is still being worked through in some countries. Most of the other large changes and savings won’t be visible to most Googlers but will make aa noticeable difference to our costs — think innovation in machine utilization for AI computing and reduced fragmentation of our tech stack. These are big-multi-year efforts. A few examples:

We are focused on distributing our compute workloads even more efficiently, getting more out of our servers and data centers. We’ve already made progress with these efforts and will continue to drive efficiencies – this work adds up given infrastructure is one of our largest areas of investment.

As we apply our efficient and well-tuned infrastructure and software to ML, we’re continuing to discover more scalable and efficient ways to train and serve models.

Improving external procurement is another area where data suggests significant savings – on everything from software to equipment to professional services. As one part of this, we’re piloting an improved buying hub that helps teams find suppliers that we’ve negotiated great rates with.
There are other areas we’ve spoken about that will make a big difference: we’re continuing to redeploy teams to higher priority work, to maintain a slower pace of hiring, to be responsible about our T&E spending, and to implement numerous suggestions from the Simplicity Sprint improve our execution and increase our velocity – particularly on prioritization, training, launch and business processes, internal tools and meeting spaces.

Changes to programs and services

We want to be upfront that there are also areas where we’ll realize savings that will impact some service Googlers use at work and beyond.

We set a high bar for industry-leading perks, benefits and office amenities, and will continue that into the future. However, some programs need to evolve for how Google works today. As well as helping to bring down costs, these changes will reduce food waste and be better for the environment.

We’re adjusting our office services to the new hybrid workweek. Cafes, Microkitchens and other facilities will be tailored to better match how and when they are being used. Decisions will be based on data. For example, where a cafe is seeing a significantly lower volume of use on certain days, we’ll close it on those days and put more focus instead on popular options that are close by. Similarly, we’ll consolidate microkitchens in buildings where we’re seeing more waste than value. We’ll also shift some fitness classes and shuttle schedules based on how they’re being used.
We’ve also assessed the equipment we provide Googlers. Today’s devices have a much longer lifespan and greater performance and reliability, so we have made changes to what’s available and how often it’s replaced—while making sure that people have what they need to perform their role. Because equipment is a significant expense for a company of our size, we’ll be able to save meaningfully here.

Just as we did in 2008, we’ll be looking at data to identify other areas of spending that aren’t asa they should be, or the don’t scale at our size. We will let Googlers know of any other changes that directly impact services they use.Our opportunities as a company are enormous. We have clear OKRs and substantial resources at our disposal to pursue them, but these resources are finite. Focusing on using them effectively makes a huge difference.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

skooma512 posted:

but what if the corporation issuing the debt is actually a "corporation" called binance that isn't incorporated anywhere or maybe it is but you're not allowed to know?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

coelomate posted:

but what if the corporation issuing the debt is actually a "corporation" called binance that isn't incorporated anywhere or maybe it is but you're not allowed to know?

Corporations are people and thus entitled to complete privacy :eng101:

How dare you question binance's identity. Binance chooses to self identify as a real corporation and you must embrace binance's life choices.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

rough year for the brits

https://twitter.com/business/status/1643075684443602948

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

quote:

“We have been asked to pull all tape/dispensers throughout the building,” a San Francisco facility directive stated. “If you need a stapler or tape, the receptionist desk has them to borrow.”
loving lmao

that's just stupid nickle and diming. bulk staple and tape is like less than even a rounding error. even my budget-strapped nit-picky red-tape public agency has ample office wares but i can't get a larger monitor

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

holy poo poo how did nobody ever notice that in the uk before now

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Maybe they can fire a rocket at it loaded with all the debt notes raised since the petrodollar became an infinite money printing machine.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

:mods:

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

good god

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

jesus

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Xaris posted:

loving lmao

that's just stupid nickle and diming. bulk staple and tape is like less than even a rounding error. even my budget-strapped nit-picky red-tape public agency has ample office wares but i can't get a larger monitor

Pivoting wildly between 24/7 free lattes and tap beer and ripping the copper wiring out of the office to pay for more stock buybacks

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

blatman posted:

No one bothered to look. It's mostly just dreary fields of sheep, decaying cottages, and cold bogs out there.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

blatman posted:

turns out the astronomers were on a boat in the ocean and looked back to shore

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i just remembered this loving travesty of a google masturbation jerkoff propaganda movie with vince vaughn., even back when it came out i was angry over this stupid noogler poo poo https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2234155/

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I don't think a guy who's facing violent protests should be pushing ideas about killing off people he doesn't want around, but that's just my opinion.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022