Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Vermain posted:

the LCS disease can definitely strike hard and fast, and it's probably a bunch of different reasons combining. having poor results or internal friction on a team might be tolerable in isolation, but having it happen at the same time you're thousands of miles from home immersed in a totally unfamiliar culture ratchets up the level of personal stress significantly

FLY still looked plenty solid against 100T, so i don't wanna read too much into the post-game tea leaves, especially since i think the entire roster underperformed this series. when even impact's looking shaky, you know you're probably in an unwinnable series against a superior team, and that can make your mental go kablooie even faster than normal

Ya C9 just seems like a good mix of clutch, experience and high ceiling. I feel like though the FLY environment is perfect for a Korean player, the whole team is Korean except Elya, I think even the GM is Korean? Not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Ulio posted:

feel like though the FLY environment is perfect for a Korean player, the whole team is Korean except Elya, I think even the GM is Korean? Not sure.

Spica is Chinese.

Also TL was a thing

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
T1 comms for the KT series are amazing.
https://youtu.be/kyjZE4AHnFk

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Issues/2023/03/31/Esports/tsm-esports-league-of-legends-championship-series.aspx

:rip:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

jesus, end of an era if that's true. wonder if riot might step in with an emergency loan, although their estimation might be that TSM's star has fallen enough that there's no point in trying to salvage them if it won't impact the LCS's standings that much

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
one step closer to lcs moist moguls let's goooo!

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Should have listened to Larry David Reginald. It's already April 1st in some places so I don't know if I really believe it.

Anyway, GG v. EG. Here's hoping it's better than Fly v. C9.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

really liking the EG game plan of staying even in gold and then just never trying to maintain any control over baron or dragon at all and banking on elder flip

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Why the gently caress is there a Rell on my stream

e: guess it’s kinda turbo into the Vi Sion Naut low dmg lineup

Firebert fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 31, 2023

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Firebert posted:

Why the gently caress is there a Rell on my stream

that is, i guess, why

that win vs. 100T really must've pumped GG up, jesus christ

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Jesus Huhi that’s disgusting

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

so is EG planning on playing loving league of legends today or what

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
hell yeah GG

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

good poo poo from GG, they made EG look like fools that entire series

i think EG literally had, like, 3 competitive minutes at the start of game 3 and then that was it. what a wash

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Huhi deserves player of the series for just shattering EG in game 2, they didn’t even have to do anything in game 3

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Vermain posted:

jesus, end of an era if that's true. wonder if riot might step in with an emergency loan, although their estimation might be that TSM's star has fallen enough that there's no point in trying to salvage them if it won't impact the LCS's standings that much

You forget riot budgeted with ftx sponsorship too. they don't have a lot of money not budgeted sitting around is my guess

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

drat GG is a feel good story, I don't know if they will make it any further than this but it feels good to see guys like Licorice/Stixxay have a great split after years of just doing nothing and falling behind new talent when at some point they were each top players in their role. That first split Licorice came in and was just smurfing on carries was insane, only Huni did that in toplane in terms of carrying from that role. Stixxay's playoff performance in his debut split after replacing DL and then his amazing MSI performance set expectations high for him but he kinda struggled after that. He had like that one good year with Biofrost when CLG had PoE they should have probably made worlds that year.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Always a good sign when I check the highlight vids and see the all game highlight vid less then 15 minutes long.

What a stomp

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hooting and hollering at Huhi just breaking some loving necks on Rell of all champs in game 2.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

You forget riot budgeted with ftx sponsorship too. they don't have a lot of money not budgeted sitting around is my guess

seems like a general pulling out of a lot of NA esports is going around, barring valorant; i know NA CSGO's been on the ropes for a while now, LCS has been mostly treading water viewership-wise, and the OWL's still, as far as i know, predominantly a flop

travis mentioned in his video on it that the current roster was given 24 hours to voluntarily accept a pay cut to minimum LCS wages (which is about $75,000) and there's been talks of potentially moving the team down to CBLOL, presumably because it's got strong enough regional interest and low enough pay that you might be able to churn a profit off it. it paints a rather bleak picture when what's historically been the most profitable (if not the only profitable) brand in the LCS is cutting and running, even besides the big FTX blunder

Vermain fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 1, 2023

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
To be a fly on the wall when they asked Maple to cut his salary to 75k lol

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Firebert posted:

To be a fly on the wall when they asked Maple to cut his salary to 75k lol

it's gotta be a real loving gutpunch to that whole squad after they put up what was one of TSM's best splits in years. they're probably not even gonna get to do summer at this rate

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

send peanut to NA already

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CODChimera posted:

send peanut to NA already

send this loving J4 build there too, holy moly

there's "playing a role" and then there's iceborn + zhonya's on toplane jarvan, which is so unbelievably useless that i struggle to find the words for it. at least goredrinker deals a bit of damage when you go in, and you're going to get exploded in roughly the same amount of time anyways

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it's maybe not the most positive sign for MSI that T1 with an 8k gold lead and exodia really struggled to close out a game against a J4 with a sub-mobafire item build

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Vermain posted:

it's maybe not the most positive sign for MSI that T1 with an 8k gold lead and exodia really struggled to close out a game against a J4 with a sub-mobafire item build

its so hard to get a read on just how good the top half of the LCK is this split

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CODChimera posted:

its so hard to get a read on just how good the top half of the LCK is this split

i genuinely think T1's an LCS-style paper tiger that looks as solid as they do because they figured out the meta faster than everyone else and cleverly innovated something (dual ADC) that gave them a massive advantage in a bot-favored meta, and now that it's swung away from that they're gonna get exposed a lot more

probably not in this series though because GEN is throwing out some real stinkers

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
So has anyone from EG offered any explanation for getting crushed by GG?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

isaboo posted:

So has anyone from EG offered any explanation for getting crushed by GG?

sun was in their eyes

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsd1kaDOZbo

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

was just about to post this; truly the end of an era, and another big canary in the coalmine. they weren't as big as TSM, but the fact that they're going under without a stick of FTX dynamite blowing up in their mouth is not a good sign for the stability of the esports bubble

the real question is whether anyone's gonna snag the two open LCS slots or if the LCS is going to swallow a bitter pill and straight up pare the number of teams down into a reduced broadcasting schedule to keep it afloat

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Holy moly. CLG fans really shouldn't have tempted fate by laughing at TSM so much.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

TSM GM responds

quote:

Fact: None of TSM LCS players were offered or are paid minimum LCS salary

Fact: Given many days, not 24 hours, to decide + explore the market (allowed to talk to other teams), informed player we would not go to market (to replace them) until we heard back from them.

False: 'TSM gave 24-hour notice to accept minimum salary to our LCS team'

I don't treat or pressure players like that--sorry, couldn't stay silent any longer.

Will not be sharing further details but will address false rumors head on going forward.

--

A journalist is a person who collects, edits, and presents news through various media. A journalist covers topics that are important to the public in different fields, such as politics, entertainment, or sports. A journalist aims to educate, inform, and engage the audience with well-researched and objective stories.

Not really changing the narrative about TSM leaving the LCS but here's hoping the players have been treated more respectfully as everything burns around them.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

'multiple hours' sounds like they got a 2 day or else he'd say x weeks or a week

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

'multiple hours' sounds like they got a 2 day or else he'd say x weeks or a week

yeah, that still sounds like some high pressure tactics, especially for a dude like maple whose visa is tied to his ongoing employment with TSM

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

One of the most ridiculous pentas I've seen in a while.
https://twitter.com/EMEAmasters/status/1643652817976950784

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

^Crazy penta, and wtf is that FNC Klaj? drat that guy dissappeared.

Hypocrisy posted:

TSM GM responds

Not really changing the narrative about TSM leaving the LCS but here's hoping the players have been treated more respectfully as everything burns around them.

The situation definitely sucks but these 20yr old somethings making 6 figures while they live in a team house with no renting cost. I don't really feel bad for them. And the minimum salary is 75k, if you don't pay for housing in LA, that is not a bad salary for being terrible at a video game. Anyway happy the bubble is finally blowing up, these guys have 0 brand recognization since all the new players decided to stop streaming or even playing soloq that much. They get paid so much there was 0 reason for them to build their brands. It was much easier to feel bad for the older generation who were getting paid in Dignatas mousepads, grinding nonstop, having way better performances internationally.

Also who is sponsoring these esport teams, like the ads work the teams do for the sponsor is appaling. You can clearly tell the players have no interest and now that LCS viewership at all time lows you can't even say there is exposure from the stream. There is a reason LCS hasn't been able to keep a single sponsor whether it was Mastercard or Statefarm. There is 0 RoI in sponsoring for non endemics in esports. Probably the best is redbull/monster/logitech which has something to do with the industry.

I think if the crypto bear market continues you will keep seeing these esport companies scramble. Those were the companies that had free money to throw around unless we are gonna get Exxom TSM or TL Aramco. Hey maybe we will with Saudi's big push into esports/digital poo poo.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 6, 2023

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TSM was the only esports team of the OGs who understood that the way to maintain profitability was to effectively build themselves as a cross-platform lifestyle brand, and they'd probably still be in that position if the siren song of FTX's sponsorship hadn't led them to badly overextend themselves

the downside of getting free infusions of VC money for the sole reason of you being in what seems to be a rapidly expanding market is that you get institutionally lazy and don't bother planning much for the long-term future. TSM came in at a time when there were no guarantees and had to do the hard work of building up a brand and figuring out how to monetize it effectively, whereas the latecomers glided in on a gilded carpet and and are plummeting to the ground now that the magic's running out. there's probably still an actual LCS in the future, but i think the days of multi-million contracts and star-studded imports are well behind us, and maybe that's for the best for the region as a whole

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/LCSOfficial/status/1644082977805139968

RIP CLG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Move LCS arena to Chicago and bring back relegations.