Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

How normal is it for someone to avoid mugshot, handcuffs and a cell? I understand rich white people experience a different form of justice in the US, and I also understand that being an ex president adds so many complexities with the Secret Service etc.

Is this unique treatment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fukkin two-tiered justice system

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Maybe because you don't need a mugshot to know what he looks like? I feel robbed though

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Me in 2023 - "As great as it would be to see those things happen, it will all be paraded as "scoring political points" and is probably better to just not do."

Me in 2027 - "I can't loving believe they handcuffed the former president out in public like that, the loving psychos, why didn't we do that poo poo to trump when we had the chance"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

fuctifino posted:

How normal is it for someone to avoid mugshot, handcuffs and a cell? I understand rich white people experience a different form of justice in the US, and I also understand that being an ex president adds so many complexities with the Secret Service etc.

Not being held pre-trial is extremely common. If you are allowed to turn yourself in and be released on your own recognizance or pay bail, then you don't usually get handcuffed either.

Not getting a mugshot for felonies is very unusual, but the point of the mugshot is primarily to have a photo on file to identify defendants. Probably not necessary for someone to need photos of Trump to identify him.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Not getting a mugshot for felonies is very unusual, but the point of the mugshot is primarily to have a photo on file to identify defendants. Probably not necessary for someone to need photos of Trump to identify him.

I mean there's gotta be a file created at some point in the process, are they just going to paste his presidential portrait there or something?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Lmaoooooooo

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

AvesPKS posted:

I mean there's gotta be a file created at some point in the process, are they just going to paste his presidential portrait there or something?

Submit your best Trump photo to put in the file I'll get the obvious one out of the way

recognize that can anywhere

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

AvesPKS posted:

Most criminal history files are electronic in CJIS/NCIC. CJIS/NCIC is also ancient mainframe software that does not include media. Mugshot policy is handled at the state level (some states have public mugshot websites, some ban mugshots from being made public, and some require the defendant to agree to release them). Generally, states will have their own case management or records system that includes mugshots or just links to their driver's license page - which includes their DMV picture.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Sucks we don't get a mugshot, but I heard an interview on I think BBC or something where the pro-Tromp guy was saying that having a public mugshot would be a good thing because it would be instantly become the best selling merch. So in that sense, I guess it's good he doesn't get a picture he can slap on t-shirts?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Sucks we don't get a mugshot, but I heard an interview on I think BBC or something where the pro-Tromp guy was saying that having a public mugshot would be a good thing because it would be instantly become the best selling merch. So in that sense, I guess it's good he doesn't get a picture he can slap on t-shirts?

It would be public property though so anyone could use it. How much would that annoy him? To see his face everywhere but he doesn’t get paid for it? I bet he’d seethe about it the rest of his life.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

cr0y posted:

Lmaoooooooo

So obviously Trump just leaked his indictment.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

skeleton warrior posted:

I don’t think they rebuilt the WTC towers, though

I feel dumb because I can think of a million things that pilot could do, but there isn't one that's a super obvious apex.

If there weren't innocent people aboard I guess I'd say a loop de loop takeoff that drills right into Mar a Lago.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Murgos posted:

So obviously Trump just leaked his indictment.

Honestly I'm impressed he hadn't until now. I was half expecting that when I got up on Friday.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I don't see any specifics online, so I think he's making it up like he does literally everything.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Please indict yourself 🥺

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I accidentally indicated myself instead, please advise.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Isn't Trump the guy that said cops shouldn't do the thing where they protect the person's head when they're putting them in the cop car?

Just sayin it's kinda hosed up we don't at least get to see him in cuffs. Not just from two-tiered justice perspective, but like, karmically.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Oxyclean posted:

Isn't Trump the guy that said cops shouldn't do the thing where they protect the person's head when they're putting them in the cop car?

Just sayin it's kinda hosed up we don't at least get to see him in cuffs. Not just from two-tiered justice perspective, but like, karmically.

yeah uh if you want justice or karmic balance don't look to the criminal court system

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Or any of the Trump cases specifically either.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

fuctifino posted:

Well, to be fair, with him being an ex-president, this is all new territory, and I wonder if part of it is trying to avoid anything that tries to shame him - they don't want to give him more reasons for appeal.

Supposedly, the Secret Service have nothing to do with the process.

https://twitter.com/JDWackrow/status/1641610291472396288

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cr0y posted:

Lmaoooooooo

No indict, no indict! You're indicted. You're indicted.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Red posted:

I'm beginning to think he delayed a little so he could be arraigned on a Tuesday and still be right.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
trump blamed the secret service for not visiting that american cemetery and...i think the john mccain boat thing? he's blamed them for several things.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Cameras will be allowed in beforehand but blocked during.
Because Trump lawyers do not want a 'circus like atmosphere'.

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1643075287582744576

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Red posted:

Well, to be fair, with him being an ex-president, this is all new territory, and I wonder if part of it is trying to avoid anything that tries to shame him - they don't want to give him more reasons for appeal.

It doesn't strike me as these are mutually exclusive. It's possible that upon learning the details of the surrender, the Secret Service asked for more time to go over their security plans/requirements. Which i feel like the Manhattan DA's office would accommodate.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

OgNar posted:

Isn't "no cameras during the trial" the norm though? It seems like it was just the past few years where they were allowed it and that was mostly due to Covid.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Oxyclean posted:

YEs. He also still maintains that the central park five are guilty

Mellow Seas posted:

No indict, no indict! You're indicted. You're indicted.

Stop indicting yourself. Stop indicting yourself. Stop indicting yourself.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

OgNar posted:

Nobody in the courtroom wants a circus atmosphere except Trump himself. Everyone else would prefer to be talking to the judge, not the cameras.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I had to google the word “indict” to make sure it was spelled right. It’s just one of those words that look wrong the more times you read it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Oxyclean posted:

He's also the guy that said that anyone who pleads the Fifth should be considered guilty - and then went on to plead the Fifth himself a couple of hundred times during questioning.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Red posted:

Emphasis mine. The thing is, it shouldn't be. He's a common civilian, being indicted for a civilian crime in a civilian court system. If we're serious about being a nation of laws, then the law must apply equally to all of us, regardless of social station or prior or even current office. I realize full-well that our justice system is too often unjust, but we propagate that injustice when we give any credence to the idea that "this is all new territory." There's no new case law being written here.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

kiimo posted:

Submit your best Trump photo to put in the file I'll get the obvious one out of the way

recognize that can anywhere

Dude, I just woke up and this is how you want me to start my day? C'mon man, show some respect.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

For those wondering about felonies, their potential sentences, etc.:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classes_of_offenses_under_United_States_federal_law

A Class E felony is 1-5 years, max $250k fine, and 1 year of probation. Assuming he's convicted, it's at least a year in (federal) prison. The most damaging case scenario is that he is ordered to serve time consecutively for any convictions rendered.

but he won't be convicted or sentenced to any time because lol at this justice system

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

IT BURNS posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classes_of_offenses_under_United_States_federal_law

A Class E felony is 1-5 years, max $250k fine, and 1 year of probation. Assuming he's convicted, it's at least a year in (federal) prison. The most damaging case scenario is that he is ordered to serve time consecutively for any convictions rendered.

but he won't be convicted or sentenced to any time because lol at this justice system

Your legal analysis is so valuable when you don't even know the difference between federal and state prosecutions.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Cimber posted:

Dude, I just woke up and this is how you want me to start my day? C'mon man, show some respect.

No-one's forcing you to jack off, jeez :rolleyes:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Barry Foster posted:

No-one's forcing you to jack off, jeez :rolleyes:

Thanks Joe Biden.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

V-Men posted:

It doesn't strike me as these are mutually exclusive. It's possible that upon learning the details of the surrender, the Secret Service asked for more time to go over their security plans/requirements. Which i feel like the Manhattan DA's office would accommodate.

Or, let's be honest, Donnie just made that up as an excuse to stall as much as possible

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

IT BURNS posted:

Those are federal charges. He's being charged at the state level. The sentences are similar, but NYS uses Class E felonies for charges that would otherwise be a misdemeanor, but were committed as part of a larger underlying crime.

Not clear what larger underlying crime the DA is alleging right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

IT BURNS posted:

Pictured here: the dangers of providing very free legal advice

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Those are federal charges. He's being charged at the state level. The sentences are similar, but NYS uses Class E felonies for charges that would otherwise be a misdemeanor, but were committed as part of a larger underlying crime.

Not clear what larger underlying crime the DA is alleging right now.

There are regular class E felonies as well. They're not all necessarily aggravated misdemeanors

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 4, 2023