Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
game won't start for me since today's patch :negative:

went away after reboot, whew

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Oh hey, tunnelers might be decent combat mechs now, the new patch removed them getting staggered by every hit.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

They were always pretty good at being pure raw obstacles to bodyblock chokepoints due to their sheer size and durability so having them able to actually contribute damage too will be nice. :toot:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I found a genuinely good reason to build high quality graves for random assholes you killed, they're a really good meditation focus:

obviously there's a lot of sources for meditation focus but I had never looked at the numbers for this and it's pretty nifty, there's a mechanic that will aggregate several nearby into a higher amount of focus given to the person meditating. It seems pretty smart about targeting the highest quality one too, it's not completely random which grave it will pick.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The focus goes up even more if you put someone the colonist is related to in the sarcophagus IIRC.

A number of the meditation sources work that way, they have quality related stats and also benefit from having a bunch of other good quality items of the same kind nearby.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

The focus goes up even more if you put someone the colonist is related to in the sarcophagus IIRC.

I assume they have to be dead first?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Morbid as a meditation focus can be pretty good, it's just relatively hard to get on a pawn since it's tied to a couple traits. Unless you're playing with VPE and can outright buy it, but that mod lets you stack from multiple sources anyways so everything is busted.

OwlFancier posted:

Which means it got a huge buff with Biotech since you can make some kids to put in the sarcophagus! :pseudo:

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I just tried to read this after a few pages and am super confused. Pretend you are drunk as gently caress, but will wake up sober tomorrow after not having played the game in like 3 years. What the gently caress should I throw at it mod wise?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

bird food bathtub posted:

The lightest of fences will generally keep most wild animals from chowing down on your 90% grown devilstrand. I usually go for walls though. Wood walls guarantee no wild critters can get in an area. More expensive but worth it to me. There's some weird exemptions for fences that I don't understand or trust.

i think animals just ignore what's on the other side of the fence, or their attention is blocked off by fences. Some can accidentally wander across fences (usually vermin or large non-farm animals) and then when they're inside the fence they only "see" things that are in the fence. So panthers will eat your chinchillas 50 tiles away instead of the rat 3 tiles away.

i guess this could be tested if somebody put a sack of rice inside a pasture in a map full of ravenous rats, boars, and bears during winter. I accidentally did this on a shelf with no fence one time and went from "oh god drat they're eating all the food" to "oh poo poo shoot them to get some food." You can absolutely use cheetos to lure butcherable animals when it's winter because nothing will eat dried out winter grass so everything is gonna be stampeding directly to the meals the second they hear one clatter to the ground

you could probably fence in a cougar and it will start to starve until the second it wanders out and then attacks the closest thing

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

I assume they have to be dead first?

Yes, unfortunately the game does not mechanically simulate cask-of-amontilladoing somebody in terms of it constituting a tomb.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

that is so abusable with biotech, not that I'm going to do that :gonk:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The Butcher posted:

I just tried to read this after a few pages and am super confused. Pretend you are drunk as gently caress, but will wake up sober tomorrow after not having played the game in like 3 years. What the gently caress should I throw at it mod wise?

unless you have specific goals the vanilla game won't do, imo stick to the pure quality of life things that don't add or change content and just make the UI work better or remove unnecessary or irritating automation.
Allow Tool https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=761421485
Numbers https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1414302321
Cut Plants Before Building https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1539025677
Replace Stuff https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1372003680

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

The Butcher posted:

There are a couple mods you should just grab to make your life easier: Allow Tool, Better Pawn Control, Drag Select, Color Coded Mood Bar, Replace Stuff, Smarter Construction... There's plenty more and maybe some other goons can pipe up as to what they consider "essential" mods, but this is a good start to make your time on the rim more enjoyable.

Then honestly, just play the game. As you play you'll discover things you wanna tweak and chances are there's a mod for that. Just load up the Steam workshop and search.

As far as more substantial mods that significantly change the experience, all of Dubwise's stuff is pretty excellent and fairly well-balanced: Bad Hygiene, Rimefeller, and Rimatomics took me a while to get used to (they're almost full expansions in their own right), but now they're must haves for me.

edit: I'll throw in Roads of the Rim, Caravan Options, and Caravan Formation Improvements because going out on expeditions and exploring the world rules and these mods help make it significantly less of a chore.

Mackerel Cornflake fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 3, 2023

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Butcher posted:

Mods that I can't live without, and that I'd recommend for anyone, even if they were playing for the first time:
- Allow Tool (bunch of quality of life features)
- Character Editor (enough said)
- Smarter Construction (pawn build orders are processed smartly, so they don't entomb themselves)
- Interaction Bubbles (normal text conversations between pawns appear as interaction bubbles instead of getting lost in a menu somewhere)

Mods that I always use because they make it more fun for my boring old rear end with too many hours sunk into this great game, but that I would not recommend to someone who may only vaguely remember the game:
- Set Up Camp (like creating a 2nd base, but much much smaller and temporary)
- Graze Up (animals will try to actually graze instead of obliterating anything they eat)
- Dubs Rimatomics (nuclear power, nuclear weapons, and other high energy stuff)
- Alpha Animals (crazy cool alien animals)
- Alpha Biomes (crazy cool alien biomes with their own crazy cool alien animals)
- Map Reroll (literally when you start on a map you can hit a pair of dice to regenerate new instances of it, then select one you like better)
- Geological Landforms (populate the world with neat and interesting geological formations that you can settle on)
- Replace Stuff (quality of life thing for replacing old construction with new construction)
- Auto-Extract Genes (adds a button to prisoners to auto-extract their genes as often as possible without killing them)
- Excavator Mechanoid (mechs can't use deep drills; this adds a mech that can)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah Character Editor is a pretty big one for me too

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Interaction Bubbles adds so much of the exact je ne sais quoi that is Rimworld to the experience of playing that I'm shocked it hasn't been absorbed into the retail game.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Wall lights!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah I love the wall lights mod, although that gets into the altered/added content territory it's very minor

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Flesh Forge posted:

yeah I love the wall lights mod, although that gets into the altered/added content territory it's very minor

Yes. But the base looks so much better with them.
Especially after researching colored.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Walls lights is just a gateway mod/drug. Soon you'll have so many light mods installed that you installed a separate mod to just organize them all in a distinct architect section.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Wall lights for lighting, braziers for aesthetics. Easy peasy.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I did wall lights on my current run and it’s criminal that I’ve never used them before. They also have mod settings to enter custom power consumption values so I cheated them down to something minuscule because in my headcanon these are LEDs.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I went sick with power and use ceiling lights now. They don't even need a ceiling!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Kitfox88 posted:

I went sick with power and use ceiling lights now. They don't even need a ceiling!

I tried to go halfway with Dub's skylights but I am just too bad at building to consider ceiling/roof fixtures

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
I just did an item stash quest guarded by a mechanoid cluster that did not activate as I approached the stash. Proximity sensors were way out of range from the stash building. The game allowed me to reform caravan and take their nodes and unstable power cells with me consequence free.

I'm usually able to sneak in and quietly knock out mechanoid controlled climate/psychic buildings before, but this was crazy easy for 16 glittermeds and 75 hyperweave.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

by the way Dub's Hygiene has a pretty nice ceiling light/fan

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Flesh Forge posted:

by the way Dub's Hygiene has a pretty nice ceiling light/fan

I'm gonna need a ceiling fan, white noise machine, 2 extra body pillows, and an eye mask before I'd sleep there.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
once again in classic rimworld fashion we are tricked into drawing swastikas under the guise of space efficiency

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

:negative:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Oscar aint no Slouch posted:

once again in classic rimworld fashion we are tricked into drawing swastikas under the guise of space efficiency

My hydroponic setups are inefficient purely because otherwise you get the bad spiral yes

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

reminder to get the self-lit hydroponics mod and try to do some other layouts :negative:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah self-lit hydroponics is a great addition, it's pretty frustrating to have to use a sunlamp. And you can customize the light color that they use!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

What mod be this ye speak of :ibadpop:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Self Lit Hydroponics:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2152790833
the power req is about the same as vanilla sun lamp + 16 regular basins (i.e. the modded tables cost more power) so you don't have to feel bad about it being ~unbalanced~
e: you can also tinker with the power req in mod options

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

my two colonists just downed at the same time for no reason I can see :confused:

they're not hungry, they're not cold or sick, they're not short of hemogen, they're not in withdrawal from their dependencies .... :confused:

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Flesh Forge posted:

my two colonists just downed at the same time for no reason I can see :confused:

they're not hungry, they're not cold or sick, they're not short of hemogen, they're not in withdrawal from their dependencies .... :confused:

obvious thing would be to mouseover that "consciousness 10%" and see what the tooltip says happened to the other 90%?

depending on your mods there could be an invisible hediff so try the "devtool > show hidden hediffs" option in the health panel?

comedy answer: it's just a cat nap

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Flesh Forge posted:

they're not in withdrawal from their dependencies ....

Hmm, well the character panel on the bottom left says their alcohol dependency is life-threatening, so if they genuinely aren't, that might be a clue to some mod interacting with that and screwing it up.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

well that's a bad bug

I sometimes get an error on load that says "backup alcohol dependency tracker yadda yadda" and I normally just save/load and it appears to fix it since it loads without error, but apparently not. I guess what's different with this is I didn't check the "use to manage addictions" flag in the drug use policy, usually I remember to do that but I forgot this time so they just weren't allowed to drink.

e: it's weird that the vanilla UI didn't show it in the health conditions but the UI mod did :shrug:

mental note, check this

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 5, 2023

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Why it's not in the health tab is odd, but that little red text in the UI bottom left of the screen does say alcohol is the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah I didn't notice it because it didn't occur to me to look there (it's coming from the RimHUD UI mod), I was looking at the Health tab