Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Salvor_Hardin posted:

That does pose an interesting question. Would prime LeBron + 4 replacement level G-leaguers make the playoffs? For this experiment let's assume LeBron can play 48 minutes a game so the team isn't like -25 in the 15 minutes he doesn't play.

e: and don't just glibly reference those early cavs teams. They were bad but they were real NBA players. This is balenced by it not being prime bron yet.

Replacement level G-leaguers are a lot worse than people think. People act like J.R. Smith and co. are awful players but they were mostly plus guys. Being forced to field even a single G-league average guy would ruin a lot of teams. Maybe Bron could carry two, four is impossible. Bron would score 60 points and still lose day after day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

how do you figure ?

He scores a whole lot, really efficiently. That is a valuable skill. According to the official NBA rules, the team that scores more points actually wins the game, even if they didn't have the tallest guy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

He scores a whole lot, really efficiently. That is a valuable skill. According to the official NBA rules, the team that scores more points actually wins the game, even if they didn't have the tallest guy.

he’s doesn’t play defense (he can’t ) and his skills can be found all over . if he was 6 7 then yes ok I see you

going to Lebron he won 2 finals games with this guys

goat

I mean that is jr smith, TT and some guys

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

he’s doesn’t play defense (he can’t ) and his skills can be found all over . if he was 6 7 then yes ok I see you

His skills can't be found all over. That's a very silly thing to say, even for a profoundly dishonest and ignorant person like yourself.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

wow that’s rude

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Vox Nihili posted:

would you say it’s one of the most valuable skills?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Portland has a bad offense and a horrid defense so it does t look like the 6 foot point guards value is translating to real world results

a similar story happened in San Francisco recently

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Vox Nihili posted:

Replacement level G-leaguers are a lot worse than people think. People act like J.R. Smith and co. are awful players but they were mostly plus guys. Being forced to field even a single G-league average guy would ruin a lot of teams. Maybe Bron could carry two, four is impossible. Bron would score 60 points and still lose day after day.

A better question would be "since LeBron came into the league, has there been a team that if you added Prime LeBron, he wouldn't carry to them to the playoffs?" and the answer is no, no there is not. Okay maybe not the 11-12 Charlotte Bobcats, but any other team definitely.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

euphronius posted:

Portland has a bad offense and a horrid defense so it does t look like the 6 foot point guards value is translating to real world results

Portland didn’t win four nba championships

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Azathoth posted:

A better question would be "since LeBron came into the league, has there been a team that if you added Prime LeBron, he wouldn't carry to them to the playoffs?" and the answer is no, no there is not. Okay maybe not the 11-12 Charlotte Bobcats, but any other team definitely.

were the 11-12 bobcats worse than last year’s nuggets minus Jokic? if so, by how much?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

kingcobweb posted:

Portland didn’t win four nba championships

ok, when did portland win 4 nba championships?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

Ideally you would pair good offensive players with good defensive players. Portland has always had a very poor roster that's totally reliant on Dame scoring a billion points to win games. These days they are more or less just a dumping ground for busts from big-name teams. Unless you have a Prime LeBron level guy you need at least two other really talented players on your side to win a championship, plus five or so solid roleplayers. Blazers have never come particularly close to that.

euphronius posted:

Winning a title is pretty far beyond anything the Blazers have done of late. I guess they did make the conference finals a few years back.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Azathoth posted:

Yeah you'd really have to dig to find teams that would still lose after adding Prime LeBron. Even tanking teams usually have a few talented guys.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

were the 11-12 bobcats worse than last year’s nuggets minus Jokic? if so, by how much?

jokic is a good example . he’s like dame but tall, so his team wins regular season games

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

kingcobweb posted:

The 11-12 Bobcats had two players with a VORP above 0: Kemba Walker and Derrick Brown. Brown was a young rotation guy for them who never played in the NBA after that season. Denver last year has 7 (6+Jokic). The Bobcats won 7 games and it's a minor miracle they won that many.

Basically imagine the Nuggets from last year but anyone better than Bones Hyland is out for the season and you've got the 11-12 Bobcats.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

The amount of disrespect on Dame is nauseating.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
if he ever did anything it'd be less nauseating but Portland never built anything around him

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

I think everyone here should agree on what teams and players are good

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Woke Mind Virus posted:

ill start. the celtics are good & every current celtics player is good. i think we can all agree on that much

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

euphronius posted:

going to Lebron he won 2 finals games with this guys

goat

I mean that is jr smith, TT and some guys

Shumpert was good enough to be a starter on the thrice playoff-bound Knicks before that year and he could give you solid 3 and D play sometimes. Mozgov and Delly I'll give you but even Mozgov was a starter on the failing Denver Nuggets. Not quite G-league

Agree with Lebron being the GOAT

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

yeah i agree lebron is hte best player of all time if time starts in the year 2000

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

fart simpson posted:

yeah i agree lebron is hte best player of all time if time starts in the year 2000

Good guards didn't exist in the 1990s so MJ basically had no competition. It was a PF/C league

Kenny the Jet Smith was the 3rd highest scoring PG in the playoffs in 1993 at 15 ppg

The only guard who could defend MJ was Gary Payton. Also idgaf about handchecking or whatever the excuse is, the pace of the game was slow as hell

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Woke Mind Virus posted:

jokic is good

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i propose we have a tournament between all the teams in the top half or so of the standings to determine which team is the best

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Yossarian-22 posted:

Good guards didn't exist in the 1990s so MJ basically had no competition. It was a PF/C league

Kenny the Jet Smith was the 3rd highest scoring PG in the playoffs in 1993 at 15 ppg

The only guard who could defend MJ was Gary Payton. Also idgaf about handchecking or whatever the excuse is, the pace of the game was slow as hell

what about magic johnson

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

tristeham posted:

jokic is good

controversial

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

ex post facho posted:

if he ever did anything it'd be less nauseating but Portland never built anything around him

Treating Dame like he is some above average player because he’s “only” been to the WCF is some midday ESPN-level hot take.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

every player with a ring is better than every player without one. it’s simple math.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mean Baby posted:

Treating Dame like he is some above average player because he’s “only” been to the WCF is some midday ESPN-level hot take.

would it help you if I said he’s as good as Steph curry

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

fart simpson posted:

what about magic johnson

Out of the league because of HIV after 1990-1991 until 1995-1996, and by the time he faced MJ in the 1991 finals the Lakers didn't have Kareem

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

euphronius posted:

would it help you if I said he’s as good as Steph curry

He's better than Embiid because he's actually been to a conference finals

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Yossarian-22 posted:

Out of the league because of HIV after 1990-1991 until 1995-1996, and by the time he faced MJ in the 1991 finals the Lakers didn't have Kareem

i think he was a good guard who played in the 1990s

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Yossarian-22 posted:

it really is that simple

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yossarian-22 posted:

wow your right I’ve never thought about it like that. huh

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

i propose we have a tournament between all the teams in the top half or so of the standings to determine which team is the best

that would be great unfortunately the nba doesn’t do that

I am assuming you mean get rid of conferences

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Dame is less valuable than other superstars by virtue of the fact that he’s never going to leave despite years of playing on humiliating games teams. Why pay him the max if he’s going to take less to play on dogshit Blazer teams?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

kingcobweb posted:

yes..by about 8, by my calculations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Magical Johnson

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Dame simply enjoys the Portland lifestyle and is willing to prioritize it over petty financial concerns and y'know what I applaud him for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
bump