Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Agents are GO! posted:

Seriously, bankruptcy court has been around a long time, Alex Jones isn't competent enough to think of anything they haven't seen a thousand times before.
I'm sure he'll find a novel combination somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Volmarias posted:

Let me ask this way: let's say that suddenly AJ ends up with $100K of cocaine up his nose from no clear source. No getting that back. What happens now?

his heart would probably explode

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Jones has not displayed any sort of cunning that supports these hypotheticals. His idea of a foolproof asset protection scheme was to "owe" money to a company wholly owned by his parents. And if he somehow gets enough money that it completely disappears up his nose without anyone knowing, that'd be the subtlety that Jones is not known for.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Volmarias posted:

Let me ask this way: let's say that suddenly AJ ends up with $100K of cocaine up his nose from no clear source. No getting that back. What happens now?
there's a section in the report that lists the farm equipment he owns that was just let to rot in fields
and there's a listing for a corporation that, as far as the report writers can tell, is just a misspelling of a different corporation?
i'm just saying i don't think he's a criminal mastermind that's going to pull out a foolproof hail mary at the perfect time
also, with any crime, if you destroy the evidence you get away with it. in your hypothetical how do the authorities know about the coke?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I think the question is what happens if Alex throws all of the money he can get is hands on into a volcano along with al of his earthly belongings? So he literally has zero assets. Will he somehow be in more trouble?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Volmarias posted:

I think I get what you mean. Like what if he's supposed to be living a humble and ordinary lifestyle but he keeps finding cash and spending it irretrievably before the collectors can get to it. He goes downtown and "happens to run into a fan" who loves him so much he hands him $1000 cash and Jones turns and goes directly to a steakhouse and spends it on a meal.

I mean I guess nobody's going to be standing there waiting to slap the fork out of his mouth.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Pirate Radar posted:

I mean I guess nobody's going to be standing there waiting to slap the fork out of his mouth.

For 1 billion in debts and the crime of being Alex "astronomical rear end in a top hat" Jones, there should be.

Like, I want the court to hire some dude to go everywhere with him carrying a sign, warning passersby what a colossal loving rear end in a top hat he is and encouraging people to boo and jeer every time he opens his loving mouth.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

There are limits on how much someone can "burn" money in an irretrievable way (spend it on something consumable like food/drugs or a spontaneous event of some kind), and while Alex could well be petty enough to do something like that, anything of actual significance isn't the kind of thing he can get away with before being intercepted. Like he could probably blow a few hundred at a bar or restaurant if he got his hands on cash somehow, but he couldn't buy a new fancy car or watch, at least not without it being seized eventually.

Stefan Prodan posted:

drat do they really take your pets in bankruptcy

good thing my dog is a little mutt piece of poo poo that nobody loves but me

I think a rough rule of thumb is that a bankruptcy court isn't going to seize anything if they can't somehow flip it in a way that makes money. Remember they're not operating punitively, they just need money from you somehow to repay your creditors, so the only stuff they'll take from you is stuff that'll have some theoretical value to a total stranger at a bankruptcy auction (e.g. they're not going to take your family photo albums). Now, again, since this is the government it doesn't necessarily care about making a profit, so they'll take something that's almost worthless from you because they might be a few dollars or even pennies for it. However, when you can just roll up to an animal shelter and get a dog for free (and where the government has to pay to maintain the animal until they resell it) I think that makes pets an unlikely target of seizure unless they're some young specialty breed that's ordinarily very expensive. But in some jurisdictions you might have to hedge your bets a little, I mentioned before but in a normal bankruptcy where you're "done" owing poo poo once the bankruptcy is settled, you can shortlist a few items that have value to make them immune from seizure. It's basically so you can do things like, say, "this pearl necklace has been in my family for generations" and also to leave you with a few things (because they know a total cleanout isn't good for rehabilitation).

This is what's listed in the filing that Alex is trying to keep in this sense.

Homestead household goods 17,940 Per Appraisal
Expedition 21,463 Kelly Blue Book
Clothes 300 Per appraisal
Cat 200 Internet search results
Stacatto XC 9MM handgun 2500 Internet search results
Falcor Petra 300WinMag 22" rifle 3000 4000 new
Tudor Genva Chronometer 3000 Per Appraisal
Tag Huer Aquaracer 2000 Per Appraisal
Total 50,403

AEJ Homestead Exemption 1,633,000.00 Zillow

So one property, one vehicle, two firearms, two fancy watches, the cat, some generic clothes, and whatever constitutes household goods.

univbee fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Apr 4, 2023

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

lol those are some lovely rear end watches for someone with his money.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Those guns aren’t worth that much. I mean maybe they sell for that much (I have no idea) but they’re not worth that much.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Pirate Radar posted:

Those guns aren’t worth that much. I mean maybe they sell for that much (I have no idea) but they’re not worth that much.

Whatever someone will pay for something is what it is worth.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
There was another filing that detailed the transfer of his meathead muscle cars to his dad that were quite valuable.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Can the creditors assign their own values to things? "I will pay $3000 for his dining table, and by 'pay' I mean 'reduce the amount he owes me by.' "

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

univbee posted:

There are limits on how much someone can "burn" money in an irretrievable way (spend it on something consumable like food/drugs or a spontaneous event of some kind), and while Alex could well be petty enough to do something like that, anything of actual significance isn't the kind of thing he can get away with before being intercepted. Like he could probably blow a few hundred at a bar or restaurant if he got his hands on cash somehow, but he couldn't buy a new fancy car or watch, at least not without it being seized eventually.

I think a rough rule of thumb is that a bankruptcy court isn't going to seize anything if they can't somehow flip it in a way that makes money. Remember they're not operating punitively, they just need money from you somehow to repay your creditors, so the only stuff they'll take from you is stuff that'll have some theoretical value to a total stranger at a bankruptcy auction (e.g. they're not going to take your family photo albums). Now, again, since this is the government it doesn't necessarily care about making a profit, so they'll take something that's almost worthless from you because they might be a few dollars or even pennies for it. However, when you can just roll up to an animal shelter and get a dog for free (and where the government has to pay to maintain the animal until they resell it) I think that makes pets an unlikely target of seizure unless they're some young specialty breed that's ordinarily very expensive. But in some jurisdictions you might have to hedge your bets a little, I mentioned before but in a normal bankruptcy where you're "done" owing poo poo once the bankruptcy is settled, you can shortlist a few items that have value to make them immune from seizure. It's basically so you can do things like, say, "this pearl necklace has been in my family for generations" and also to leave you with a few things (because they know a total cleanout isn't good for rehabilitation).

This is what's listed in the filing that Alex is trying to keep in this sense.

Homestead household goods 17,940 Per Appraisal
Expedition 21,463 Kelly Blue Book
Cat 200 Internet search results
Stacatto XC 9MM handgun 2500 Internet search results
Falcor Petra 300WinMag 22" rifle 3000 4000 new
Tudor Genva Chronometer 3000 Per Appraisal
Tag Huer Aquaracer 2000 Per Appraisal
Total 50,403

AEJ Homestead Exemption 1,633,000.00 Zillow

So one property, one vehicle, two firearms, two fancy watches, the cat, some generic clothes, and whatever constitutes household goods.

Isn't Texas a state where your primary residence can't be seized to pay debts, even in bankruptcy?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
omg the pieces of that document you guys are posting are just hilariously unreal.

:discourse:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I'm going to take a wild guess and assume every appraisal Alex had any hand in is going to be undervalued.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

Isn't Texas a state where your primary residence can't be seized to pay debts, even in bankruptcy?

Maybe, but I'm assuming you still have to specify it in this kind of filing. You probably do have to actually tell someone what not to seize since it's going to be somewhat subjective in some cases.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

All this will get sold for whatever value the court can get from it, this isn't Storage Wars and the creditors go to the bankrupt's house and cart off the silverware in lieu of payment. So if some Alex Jones superfan buys his signed Glock or whatever for 100k even if it has an appraised value of $325.45 then that goes straight into the estate to be disbursed. The estimates are required so the court has an idea of what's there and how to distribute the assets; they're not binding on anyone.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Texas has an unlimited homestead exemption, yes. Texas being Texas also exempts the homestead from seizure so long as it is the debtor's primary residence, allowing only for eviction on a mortgage, taxes, or property improvements. Whether or not it prevents seizure of the proceeds if the property is sold is another matter, you can't place a lien on the property directly but the moment the sale money hits the bank it's theoretically reachable.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Outrail posted:

I'm going to take a wild guess and assume every appraisal Alex had any hand in is going to be undervalued.
his supporters knowingly and regularly pay a hundred dollars to get ten dollars worth of gold.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
What if Jones sold signed prints of him being destroyed on the stand for like $500... It's like an ethics test of how gross it feels to funnel money through him to the sandy hook parents

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Sentient Data posted:

What if Jones sold signed prints of him being destroyed on the stand for like $500... It's like an ethics test of how gross it feels to funnel money through him to the sandy hook parents

Oh man I just remembered that his buddy Roger Stone sells autographed copies of his presidential pardon.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Volmarias posted:

Use a modified dialysis machine to get the cocaine back. :colbert:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

mojo1701a posted:

Oh man I just remembered that his buddy Roger Stone sells autographed copies of his presidential pardon.

Absolutely shameless.

What a garbage human.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Absolutely shameless.

What a garbage human.

Honestly it's one of the least objectionable lines of income he's had in his life

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Agents are GO! posted:

Use a modified dialysis machine to get the cocaine back. :colbert:

I found my new plot device for the adrenochrome movie

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Pirate Radar posted:

They're both high end boutique guns, at least in the realm of tacticool garbage :shrug:

Both sell for $5-6k new and are limited productions with long waitlists, so tbh those prices if anything are undervaluing them. Which makes sense given it's what he's arguing to keep.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ishikabibble posted:

They're both high end boutique guns, at least in the realm of tacticool garbage :shrug:

Both sell for $5-6k new and are limited productions with long waitlists, so tbh those prices if anything are undervaluing them. Which makes sense given it's what he's arguing to keep.

Yeah I’m just muttering, you know, ignore me. They’re tacticool garbage and they get people to pay exorbitant amounts for them. On paper they’re worth much more than other guns that are pretty much the same.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

quote:

That sounds extremely low.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Volmarias posted:

That sounds extremely low.

They would cost more that that new, but most used clothing is pretty worthless. If it's got stains is worthless even if it is a brand name, and I bet everything he owns has sweat stains because he never stops sweating.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
The sanctions hearing for Reynaul (Alex's Texas lawyer) is happening now, livestream is here

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Is there any good sources for following it via tweet? I'm at work and can't watch the livestream.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Randalor posted:

Is there any good sources for following it via tweet? I'm at work and can't watch the livestream.

Yep
https://twitter.com/MoString/status/1643620926628540425

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Piell posted:

The sanctions hearing for Reynaul (Alex's Texas lawyer) is happening now, livestream is here

Thank you for the link.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Hearing Bankston tear several holes into Reynal is bliss. is it the accent? the fury? the “what is even going on here” feeling? Whatever it is, it’s working

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

teen witch posted:

Hearing Bankston tear several holes into Reynal is bliss. is it the accent? the fury? the “what is even going on here” feeling? Whatever it is, it’s working

It's so good. The judge is over Reynal's poo poo and you can hear it in her tone, too.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

kw0134 posted:

All this will get sold for whatever value the court can get from it, this isn't Storage Wars and the creditors go to the bankrupt's house and cart off the silverware in lieu of payment. So if some Alex Jones superfan buys his signed Glock or whatever for 100k even if it has an appraised value of $325.45 then that goes straight into the estate to be disbursed. The estimates are required so the court has an idea of what's there and how to distribute the assets; they're not binding on anyone.

Texas has an unlimited homestead exemption, yes. Texas being Texas also exempts the homestead from seizure so long as it is the debtor's primary residence, allowing only for eviction on a mortgage, taxes, or property improvements. Whether or not it prevents seizure of the proceeds if the property is sold is another matter, you can't place a lien on the property directly but the moment the sale money hits the bank it's theoretically reachable.

Alex should just buy a 1.4 billion dollar house.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Piell posted:

I loving love this stuff. I'm sad they don't publish the recordings

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Piell posted:

i tuned in just i time for a GIGANTIC judge sigh!
reynaul is currently testifying that he has no idea how much evidence there is and jones was uncooperative

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yeah, bring up the documents you leaked. And how that was the plaintiffs' fault.

Great, buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
lol!
"you says the defendants produced thousands of text messages. they sure didn't mean to! you agree with that?"
"i-i-i guess"