Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

hailthefish posted:

I don't think so but I'm not 100% sure. Like, 97% sure that it only works 1 storage deep without another engine to act as a pump.

So its weirder than we thought. I turned off all my difficulities and made a quick autobuild test on another save.

Processing>Engine>Storage1>Storage2 is *almost* what I want in terms of behavior, but not quite. I need to think through all the potential cases. The processor will fill Storage1 and Storage2 equally. (For arguments sake, Processing>Engine>Storage1>Storage2>Storage3 cannot ever push to Storage3.) If Storage1 fills up, though, Storage2 will not get any more coal whatsoever until there is at least some room left in Storage1. If storage2 is full, obviously storage1 will still fill. If both storages have at least some space, the input will only fill the storage with less in it. So if I drawdown Storage2, it'll only fill that until Storage1=Storage2, at which point it again fills both at an equal rate.

This is close, but not close enough to what I want to happen. What I want is for storage1 to always be full, but if its full, pass it's input to storage2. Storage1 wants to feed a shuttle to brick and cement industries, Storage2 is going to be the "main" storage for the Republic's coal. I have multiple processing plants - I don't want one to stop if there's capacity downstream. The case where this breaks is when storage1 fills (which will probably happen) and then it cannot pass to storage 2 until it draws down slightly. This is probably still a pretty limited problem (and I could fix it with a 'dummy' distribution center that just sends a truck to empty a little coal into storage2 if storage1 fills up) but I really hate designing a system that can lock up one of my ore processors.

The simpler logic is just to have everything feed off of storage2, it just makes for a much less elegant design with a lot more conveyors where they aren't totally needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Maybe an engine feeding 1 and 2, with priorities set?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

hailthefish posted:

Maybe an engine feeding 1 and 2, with priorities set?

I could also do this, it's just also still a little messier than I'd like. That said, I don't know how I didn't think of doing that and it is definitely less messy than running conveyors all the way back from storage2 to where I want to offload near the first storage.

e: Basically Engine>Storage1+Storage2, but also Storage1>Storage2. Default behavior would be to fill 1 and 2 equally, then if 1 fills, the engine would push only to 2. I like that, and only one extra conveyor to "Bypass" 1. Or I guess you don't even need to connect 1 and 2 together in this scenario.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 27, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you connect them to the same engine and don't set priorities that should give you that behaviour.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’ve had coal storage feed to another coal storage for sure. Let me see if I can find a screen shot

Edit

I guess I didn’t understand the nitty gritty of your idea

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Well, giving up and setting up an oil refinery for exports has rescued me from economic distress (at least in terms of rubles). Feels like cheating but whatever, the alternative was losing 25 hours of work. Soon I'll be stable enough to work on bauxite more. Still need to set up a factory for prefab panels but they're still low enough volume to import for now.

I love the way the game generates things sometimes :allears:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
"Is plenty of space to drive around. Do not worry."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Did you know Street lights make cars go faster at night

I did not.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

euphronius posted:

I did not.

I play with day always on - is that actually a mechanic? Huh.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

SkyeAuroline posted:

I play with day always on - is that actually a mechanic? Huh.

Night definitely slows cars down. Rain on dirt roads at night practically stops traffic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

euphronius posted:

I did not.

I was pretty sure, but yeah your unlit highways are limited to I think about 50km/h at night. Dunno if I properly tested it with streetlighting though.

And yes rain also affects it, particularly on dirt roads.

Honestly I wish I could build covered highways or at least covered bridges, those things can cover some big spans and I don't want to plough them.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Wow, didn’t know about the lights at night thing either. Makes me want for lights without sidewalks now! (Just for aesthetic purposes.)

Man there’s so much in this silly game. I just figured out through some googling that my problem with distro offices and coal wasn’t that they’re totally incompatible, it’s just that the distro office can’t “read” storage that isn’t directly connected to the station it’s tied to. (So, a conveyor engine in between your rail station and the storage breaks the distro logic, where going right from rail station to storage directly is fine.)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Wow, didn’t know about the lights at night thing either. Makes me want for lights without sidewalks now! (Just for aesthetic purposes.)

Man there’s so much in this silly game. I just figured out through some googling that my problem with distro offices and coal wasn’t that they’re totally incompatible, it’s just that the distro office can’t “read” storage that isn’t directly connected to the station it’s tied to. (So, a conveyor engine in between your rail station and the storage breaks the distro logic, where going right from rail station to storage directly is fine.)

Unfortunately, this does make sense. The rail station will see the conveyor tower as the connection, not the end storage. It would be difficult to actually have it work otherwise!

Here's a thought: Rail -> Storage 1 -> Conveyor - Storage 2. However, Storage 2 is the "fill me first" storage in this scenario; the DO will look at Storage 1 when making decisions, but one of your storages can still be "primary". You could always chain this with a 3->1 conveyor with priorities too!

E: unless the "slow at night on roads without lights" behavior is new, that doesn't seem correct. I've noticed slowing for rain though.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Unfortunately, this does make sense. The rail station will see the conveyor tower as the connection, not the end storage. It would be difficult to actually have it work otherwise!

Here's a thought: Rail -> Storage 1 -> Conveyor - Storage 2. However, Storage 2 is the "fill me first" storage in this scenario; the DO will look at Storage 1 when making decisions, but one of your storages can still be "primary". You could always chain this with a 3->1 conveyor with priorities too!

E: unless the "slow at night on roads without lights" behavior is new, that doesn't seem correct. I've noticed slowing for rain though.

I ended up just simplifying my design by using one single large storage and one single large train loading. Before I was really overcomplicating things, I think. Both the storage and train loading are mods, so they have 5k capacity and the loading has 6 tracks. This should be more than enough to cover instead of having multiple loading and multiple storages.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Well, oil did it. In the span of ~3 years it cleared 10m rubles and 12m dollars in debt completely, basically on its own. (I also ramped up clothing production, but the oil refinery did the entirety of the rubles and a chunk of the dollars.)

Now I have a money printer.

For the sake of some actual thread content...

The oil complex in question, fed by two tankers each bringing oil & shipping out fuel and bitumen.

I did my math on how much raw bauxite this plant would produce ridiculously wrong by not accounting for excavators being way faster. So I jury rigged an export feed to hopper ships so I can get ~60k a shipload for it.

The current capital continues to expand (and deal with pollution... but there's a nice park at least!).

Steel mill and the start of new expansion - I've got a couple small towns to establish up north...

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 28, 2023

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

SkyeAuroline posted:

Well, oil did it. In the span of ~3 years it cleared 10m rubles and 12m dollars in debt completely, basically on its own. (I also ramped up clothing production, but the oil refinery did the entirety of the rubles and a chunk of the dollars.)

Now I have a money printer.

For the sake of some actual thread content...

The oil complex in question, fed by two tankers each bringing oil & shipping out fuel and bitumen.

I did my math on how much raw bauxite this plant would produce ridiculously wrong by not accounting for excavators being way faster. So I jury rigged an export feed to hopper ships so I can get ~60k a shipload for it.

The current capital continues to expand (and deal with pollution... but there's a nice park at least!).

Steel mill and the start of new expansion - I've got a couple small towns to establish up north...

Looks good! Yeah, fuel is really the easiest way to get ahead. The refinery sucks to build, as do pipelines (so much steel!) but it both cures you of the most expensive, recurring good (at least in my case. I tend to start out using way more fuel than I do clothing/food/electronics, even if it isn't the must expensive by volume) while being a really good export, boosting both sides of your balance sheet.

I need to start doing my crop-based industries sooner for export. I always feel like - for whatever reason - they're not as important as getting my construction goods up, but you spend so much money on food while you're waiting for the other complexes to get built over dozens of years.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Volmarias posted:

So I'm trying to dig more into this. I'm on a pretty fresh save in 1935 - so modded vehicles and generally bad roads - but with complex traffic and full time of day simulation and seasons on.

This is super weird. It seems true but not always true? Maybe its buggy? I've been paying a lot closer attention to vehicle speeds and there's a lot of weirdness with them if you watch long enough. They randomly shave 10km/h (or go to 50km/h, not sure which) if they approach a possible right turn, but not if they approach a junction that only has a left. Maybe this is because these are uncontrolled intersections right now? Maybe its just a little buggy about when it decides its night from time to time.
E: Digging a little more, it may be that paved roads (even without lamps) are not affected. My buses top out at 60kmh, but slow down to 45kmh at night on gravel. They go 60kmh on paved roads at night.

My new save is finally into "Unpause" space after my initial build up. I decided I was giving up on my old style of kind of scaling up industries and using smaller mod ones and things.. I tried a lot of sort of roleplaying in building smaller and limited early on, then rebuilding/refreshing - but this ends up being really, really annoying to me. So instead this time I just built what I wanted, using whatever buildings I wanted, but I'm carefully picking what I actually build piece by piece since its.. Well, a lot.

This is gravel, coal, panels, bricks, and cement. It also has an initial coal plant, construction office area, and a town that'll become horribly polluted (probably) to feed these. From here we will actually build an entire Republic, promise. (Its been so many saves since I've actually gotten to "build your own cars/planes/trains.") I'm currently playing realistic, but I suspect I will again disable it once I get pissed off about some minor tweak that I can't make without crippling my Republic and just want to pay for it.

My current personal #1 wishlist is an ability to change the date "scale." The game's speed and day/night is fine by me, but given how *absolutely much poo poo* you have to build to support cities, you'd either need to be producing (and moving) goods at insane levels so fast or microing like crazy to get stuff done in realistic amounts of time. I want to still have new vehicles and feel like the 'era' is correct while I'm building, not be in 2075 when I finally start my nuclear industry. Just let me run double length years. (I know this fucks up crops but just... Maybe this republic has a weird 2x4 season cycle? idk)

For now, I'll just occasionally move my save's date back a few years to what "feels" right.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 29, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How are you guys getting 1930s starts.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

euphronius posted:

How are you guys getting 1930s starts.

https://github.com/Lex713/WRSR-Save-Editor/releases

This is outdated but still works to change the date. (There's also a workshop guide if you're comfortable with a hex editor.) Note that because its outdated, it doesn't contain some difficulty settings and might actively reset specifically the one about vehicle years. I always double check my difficulty settings after I load a save modded by the app.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Uncontrolled intersections will automatically slow traffic, which is really, really annoying. It means that you basically HAVE to tap the intersection to make the branch have a stop sign, or vehicles will periodically slow down as they reach it. It's more a concern for paved than gravel

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Next community report is up. I'm... very much not enthusiastic about this one, but that's okay.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

SkyeAuroline posted:

Next community report is up. I'm... very much not enthusiastic about this one, but that's okay.

I think I will somewhat dislike this as well, but I'm not like... Crazy negative about it. It's a neat idea to be able to get stuff back and I do think it *fits* with the game, maybe arguably better than water/sewer stuff has so far.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

I think I will somewhat dislike this as well, but I'm not like... Crazy negative about it. It's a neat idea to be able to get stuff back and I do think it *fits* with the game, maybe arguably better than water/sewer stuff has so far.

My biggest concern is how it interacts with scenarios like when I'm trying to get something placed juuuuust right for scenery, like a modded embankment or similar building, and sometimes have to build and rebuild a few times before it works. They do say that demolishing with cash will be allowed as long as you're not on realistic difficulty, though, and of course you can also just turn off demolition entirely, so it should be fine.

I really like how granular they are with difficulty in this game. There are a couple things, like fires, that I personally don't enjoy at all and am happy to leave turned off.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Log082 posted:

My biggest concern is how it interacts with scenarios like when I'm trying to get something placed juuuuust right for scenery, like a modded embankment or similar building, and sometimes have to build and rebuild a few times before it works. They do say that demolishing with cash will be allowed as long as you're not on realistic difficulty, though, and of course you can also just turn off demolition entirely, so it should be fine.

I really like how granular they are with difficulty in this game. There are a couple things, like fires, that I personally don't enjoy at all and am happy to leave turned off.

Honestly, it seems like a subtle thing but this game would be like, nigh unplayable without being able to tweak difficulty in a granular way. I've played long enough I sort of "grew up" with them adding mechanics - It would be so insane to try and figure it all out from scratch today.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Even then I think it could definitely use a review of how the mechanics work together if you turn them all on.

I'm curious about maintenence, I would like more things that consume resources so hopefully it gives us that.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Even then I think it could definitely use a review of how the mechanics work together if you turn them all on.

I'm curious about maintenence, I would like more things that consume resources so hopefully it gives us that.

It's funny because I'm the exact opposite. I like that things don't cost maintenance; I just have to worry about getting them built. Still, assuming you can turn it off like every other difficulty setting, it's not a bad thing for them to add.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean yeah I am cautious about the implementation (more buildings to add to tick a box, yaaay...) but like, the idea of your infrastructure having an upkeep cost which necessitates further production of your own materials I think is good, because at the moment the game has a problem whereby building things allows you to produce domestically, which simultaneously cuts your outgoings and increases your income, so once you reach a certain point it becomes impossible to lose, really. Because the vast majority of resources are not constantly consumed, so there is no need to worry about production capacity really, you can stockpile enough stuff to build basically anything and sell the surplus.

Making the non consumable resources also consumable adds the need to maintain productive capacity as you expand, which I think is necessary from a game balance point of view to avoid that tipping point which occurs relatively early where you keep cutting your costs and expanding your income with the same actions. I think it would be a more engaging simulation if every new factory or city put extra strain on your existing industries, to keep the margins a bit thinner and to necessitate more infrastructure to move resources around.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Log082 posted:

It's funny because I'm the exact opposite. I like that things don't cost maintenance; I just have to worry about getting them built. Still, assuming you can turn it off like every other difficulty setting, it's not a bad thing for them to add.

I'm torn about it tbh. I suspect what we'll get is just another distribution center/technical services that needs to be fed resources and I guess maybe vehicles sometimes visit? Maybe it'll be for buildings, too?

If I had my preference, I'd pick it basically to be a sort of factory 'brake' thing. Fires are kind of annoying in the way they work, but I do like their function of keeping me "honest" about not building a bunch of oil infrastructure across my entire Republic without having a town near enough to put out the occasional fire. Maintenance wouldn't be bad as a function like that, but for goods instead of workers. I wouldn't mind specifically factories getting 'damaged' from heavy production and needing an infrequent check. It could function as a sort of limiter to breaking the economy early on by exporting a ton of a good with relatively little overhead.

Vehicle maintenance for anything but planes and ships sounds annoying. Maybe locomotives could be OK too, if they can be serviced at a distribution center like they can be refueled, now. I usually have a several hundred vehicle construction fleet before too long, I don't want to have to take them all through the carwash. I already complain about how long it takes it to do anything in the game's current timescale and this would just be another slowdown.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 3, 2023

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
They've already got a sort of inefficiency curve that inhibits production to simulate the added complexity of modern electronics. It seems like it'd be a real easy and fulfilling feedback system to make that surfaced and allow you to control something like quantity, quality, and maintenance input that affects how hard that curve hits you.

Would allow for neat outcomes like working a certain factory into literal dust because you just want a lot of something now and none later, or need to cover a certain world market blip. Or else sustaining higher production consuming maintenance parts like drinking water because your maintenance parts supply chain is that solid.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I really like the idea of scrapping vehicles to regain materials and I don't mind the idea of needing vehicle maintenance buildings (depending on frequency and cost etc.). Right now there are far too little drawbacks about having really inefficient setups. If in doubt, throw more trucks at it and just get into the habit of overbuilding your road network. There is no real reason to upgrade old vehicles unless you really want to increase throughput per vehicle (but you could also just build another distribution office and add some more trucks).

Demolition I am somewhat less hyped about. The game is already severely punishing when it comes to rebuilding/upgrading construction after it was done, and demolition cost+time will only add to that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Demolition and waste generally at least allows you to convert labour time into recouped costs, which I think is generally good.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If they don't make it gruelingly impossible to recycle, especially if you take the building down by hand, it should be a stealth buff to rebuilding 5 ft away in a better orientation as you get n% prefab back to stick right there in the rebuild.

I should say my main rebuild aversion is because the materials just go poof.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Apparently the ability to recycle waste is a tech unlock and will require facilities but yeah if you can recoup some decent materials from doing it, that does help.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
I sort of wish they would just add demolition and building maintenance to construction offices and increase the number of vehicles it can house. I already have 5 of them to get anything done in realistic just a few years in. And maybe more vehicles for distribution as well, because now I need 2 small and medium (there is no large?) to supply food for 6k town, which is bit ridiculous (I use small with big trucks to fill warehouse at the edge of town and rest with smaller trucks to get to shops. I'm not sure if there is better way to do it. Without warehouse everyone was starving all the time)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

commando in tophat posted:

I sort of wish they would just add demolition and building maintenance to construction offices and increase the number of vehicles it can house. I already have 5 of them to get anything done in realistic just a few years in. And maybe more vehicles for distribution as well, because now I need 2 small and medium (there is no large?) to supply food for 6k town, which is bit ridiculous (I use small with big trucks to fill warehouse at the edge of town and rest with smaller trucks to get to shops. I'm not sure if there is better way to do it. Without warehouse everyone was starving all the time)

trains, my dear. TRAINS.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

double nine posted:

trains, my dear. TRAINS.

I mean, filling the warehouse isn't the problematic part. Small distribution can take care of that. It is bringing it from warehouse to shops that's annoying. (I'm also not sure how good bringing a few tons of chemicals to warehouse would work with train)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There is a huge construction office in the mod store.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Alright, I did it. I didn't feel the need to go into near the detail about any of the other packs, but there is some level of notes in the individual collections about any things you might want to be conscious of. Notably I shaved down a bunch of decor crap, especially stuff like ploppable sidewalks and lamps and things. (This was fun to do and I'll miss the look, but after I did it for my last save there I don't have the urge to ever do it again. Also it lagged a lot when it got super dense with buildings. I think they were all casting shadows on each other too much.)

ASA's Master Mod Collection, now organized!
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2952396400

What's nice is that now it'll be pretty easy to keep this updated. And I can do things like make a separate collection for "small"/village buildings if I want to go down that rabbit hole again and sub/unsub to it if I'm going to use it in a save instead of having to constantly scroll by a ton of crap I won't use. Also sorry, there's no all-in-one click but if clicking through the collections and hitting Sub All on each is too much, I can go back and make an all-in-one, just let me know.

E: Also for anyone lurking that might be like "There's not a lot in these categories.." - If you're looking for something that I don't have, check Robs074's collection. He really has the best and most consistent stuff. The way I organized it made it suck to try and filter all of his mods into my personal categories considering he has both a *ton* of mods and already has them in collections, and I always want them all.

thanks, this is very helpful

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

commando in tophat posted:

I mean, filling the warehouse isn't the problematic part. Small distribution can take care of that. It is bringing it from warehouse to shops that's annoying. (I'm also not sure how good bringing a few tons of chemicals to warehouse would work with train)

not sure I understand? I connect the warehouse to a road loading station for faster transportation, and have the city distributors go out for goods at ~50%. By the time they reach the store is usually almost empty. Takes a bit of finetuning the percentages if/when your urban centers expand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
In my experience distro centers do very badly at small stores just because they do single destination dispatch and it's just chaff of small trucks at best doing your delivery. Shopping malls, great, and then you only need the one shopping mall for a large town if you have good walk ability and then you can get away with very few DCs for huge portions of the map. But I kind of dislike how shopping malls look in a lot of places.

Small stores is definitely somewhere I use lines because you can set it up like direct store delivery and have a medium sized truck going around topping off 5-10 stores in a loop.

About construction offices, I understand where most people can just deal with one huge pool of equipment the size of COs is there to teach you how great it is to specialize each individual office for one construction phase or even function. Especially like COs of equipment that only travel by trucks.