Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

buglord posted:

There’s also uhh…hmm… https://www.nerdfitness.com/ if you want to Level Up your irl STR stat with your favorite heroes, right?

lol a friend of mine is one of their trainers and if you want non-enthusiastic instruction, this isn't the place to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

You should workout. Exercise is cool and good.

I used to. It is cool and good. And I wish I could right now, but certain health challenges make that impossible at the moment.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I used to. It is cool and good. And I wish I could right now, but certain health challenges make that impossible at the moment.

Ah, well sorry to hear that. Hope things look up for you!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
The Apple instructors are def cookie cutter overall , but honestly given that Apple obviously wants as broad a base as possible , I think it’s just inevitable.

I just realIzed I haven’t seen Dustin on Yoga and looking at it he hasn’t been there for 30ish episodes I hope he’s just on vacation !

You gotta think that gig is both slightly challenging , but also has to be a super good job that pays well if you get it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

The Apple instructors are def cookie cutter overall , but honestly given that Apple obviously wants as broad a base as possible , I think it’s just inevitable.

I just realIzed I haven’t seen Dustin on Yoga and looking at it he hasn’t been there for 30ish episodes I hope he’s just on vacation !

You gotta think that gig is both slightly challenging , but also has to be a super good job that pays well if you get it.

He announced he was leaving in September. I think Jessica is leaving, too.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

He announced he was leaving in September. I think Jessica is leaving, too.

Nooooooooooo

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Having a wild time getting my watch to save my weather settings. I’ve followed all the instructions, have the right default settings, etc. yet it always reverts to Cupertino and NYC. Seems like a really weird quirk!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Hope WatchOS 9.4 finally fixes the terminator graph in the large world clock complication. Because that poo poo stops updating at midnight of the day (or something like that) you added to your watch face.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hope WatchOS 9.4 finally fixes the terminator graph in the large world clock complication. Because that poo poo stops updating at midnight of the day (or something like that) you added to your watch face.

Well they still haven’t fixed the bug where the scrollbar appears on the Siri watch face so I wouldn’t hold your breath

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What magic baseband or whatever incantation does the non-cellular Watch use to send SMS? My 14 Pro Max is totally locked up, not responding to power button holding or anything, but I can still send and receive SMSes through my Watch. None of the other apps that talk to the phone work, as I expect, but SMS is still trucking. Surprising!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

What magic baseband or whatever incantation does the non-cellular Watch use to send SMS? My 14 Pro Max is totally locked up, not responding to power button holding or anything, but I can still send and receive SMSes through my Watch. None of the other apps that talk to the phone work, as I expect, but SMS is still trucking. Surprising!

It uses wifi so if you are connected to it it just sends it that way.

It’s essentially it’s own message client.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I wasn’t connected to wifi though, I was sitting at the hairdresser which I don’t think even has wifi. Phone was fixed by a hard reset (up-down-hold power) so I can’t look into it more deeply…

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The phone OS was probably still working sufficiently to do Watch Stuff, it was just the user interface that crashed hard.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

xzzy posted:

The phone OS was probably still working sufficiently to do Watch Stuff, it was just the user interface that crashed hard.

Yep, it’s this.

The core service was fine, evidently so was Bluetooth, the springboard/app layer was hosed.

It can be super weird when stuff like that happens.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

How accurate is Gurman with his predictions? Since he's claiming the WatchOS UI would get a fairly decent overhaul with version 10.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Question for the cross section of this thread that's also into Ring Fit Adventure, Nintendo's experiment in tricking gamers into exercising;

Is there a good Workout that covers the game? Nothing really tracks because it's varied and stop-start, and obvious choices like Fitness Gaming or HIIT or Mixed Cardio or Other all seem to just arbitrarily continue adding active calories even when I'm not moving resulting in an estimate that's like triple what Ring Fit says. What's with this? Some of them say it'll treat it as a brisk walk if sensor data isn't available, but the available sensor data should be telling it I am literally stationary. But also;

Question for everyone else:

Is there a way to have a Workout session without activating any additional special logic? I've found that not activating a workout at all results in an active calorie Activity count that about lines up with what Ring Fit says I'm getting, and I'm broadly inclined to think Ring Fit is vaguely accurate because despite Nintendo's less advanced sensors they have the advantage of actually knowing what exact movements I'm doing. What I really want out of Apple here is the heart rate tracking and just to log this stuff as a Workout. At this point I could take or leave the exact calorie count, I don't really need to know, the exercise is getting done either way, I'd just like if it could be logged more elegantly.

Question not about workouts:

In the scenario where I do whatever usual sleep schedule I had planned and then in the morning decide gently caress it I'm going to sleep for another two hours, is there actually a way to have it continue doing sleep tracking? If I keep mashing snooze every nine minutes (how is this stupid skeuomorphic holdover still in place) it tracks correctly all the entire seconds of sleep I rack up between snoozes but there doesn't seem to be a way to push the time back further without acknowledging the alarm and ending sleep focus. What gives here. If I go to bed late, deactivating and reactivating the sleep focus works how it should, not apparently not for waking up late?

These irritations aside I'm very pleased with my S8.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Edit - never mind.

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 4, 2023

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Finally decided to switch over after I found out my health insurance covers an Apple Watch as a “fitness health metrics smart watch”. I’ve been using various fitbits since 2013 but I’ve been eyeing a move off since the Google acquisition.

I apologize that I haven’t read all 188 pages of the thread but is there any “so you’re switching” guides or “baby’s first Apple Watch” things anyone could recommend? I’m already noticing things like not being able to set step goals which is a bit of a bummer.

:thanks:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah,

Step 1: put it on silent.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah,

Step 1: put it on silent.

Lmao first thing I did was Google Bing how to have my morning alarm just vibrate on my wrist but not make noise. I’m too used to the Fitbit silent wake up.

As it is I think I may not use the “official” sleep alarm setting much and instead go with a “regular” alarm. The sleep one doesn’t seem intended to be hosed with frequently and I tend to have shifting wake-up times.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Fedule posted:

Question for the cross section of this thread that's also into Ring Fit Adventure, Nintendo's experiment in tricking gamers into exercising;

Is there a good Workout that covers the game? Nothing really tracks because it's varied and stop-start, and obvious choices like Fitness Gaming or HIIT or Mixed Cardio or Other all seem to just arbitrarily continue adding active calories even when I'm not moving resulting in an estimate that's like triple what Ring Fit says. What's with this? Some of them say it'll treat it as a brisk walk if sensor data isn't available, but the available sensor data should be telling it I am literally stationary. But also;

Question for everyone else:

Is there a way to have a Workout session without activating any additional special logic? I've found that not activating a workout at all results in an active calorie Activity count that about lines up with what Ring Fit says I'm getting, and I'm broadly inclined to think Ring Fit is vaguely accurate because despite Nintendo's less advanced sensors they have the advantage of actually knowing what exact movements I'm doing. What I really want out of Apple here is the heart rate tracking and just to log this stuff as a Workout. At this point I could take or leave the exact calorie count, I don't really need to know, the exercise is getting done either way, I'd just like if it could be logged more elegantly.

I had the same issue during the pandemic, but I just went back to the gym. I used to pick one of the mixed options but tbf I didn't really care about it accurately tracking stuff as I was using the watch more for cycling and walking.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Chasiubao posted:

Finally decided to switch over after I found out my health insurance covers an Apple Watch as a “fitness health metrics smart watch”. I’ve been using various fitbits since 2013 but I’ve been eyeing a move off since the Google acquisition.

I apologize that I haven’t read all 188 pages of the thread but is there any “so you’re switching” guides or “baby’s first Apple Watch” things anyone could recommend? I’m already noticing things like not being able to set step goals which is a bit of a bummer.

:thanks:

Unless I’m misunderstanding, your daily step goals (I.e how quickly the outermost ring fills up) can be set on the fitness app on your phone

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
There’s apps that let you put a step counter as a complication maybe that’s what you’re after?

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Zwille posted:

There’s apps that let you put a step counter as a complication maybe that’s what you’re after?

I use StepsApp after trying a bunch of other pedometer apps and it is the best I found.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/stepsapp-pedometer/id1037595083

I am grandfathered in to their Pro version, though. I'm not sure what is locked behind the paywall.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fedule posted:

FWIW, I'd trust the device that's actively monitoring your heart rate than the one that is estimating calorie use based on statistics for your height and weight.

There's a "Fitness Gaming" workout type I used when I was doing Ring Fit. Somehow I lost the cart. Probably when I sold my original Switch. Whoops.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Endless Mike posted:

FWIW, I'd trust the device that's actively monitoring your heart rate than the one that is estimating calorie use based on statistics for your height and weight.

There's a "Fitness Gaming" workout type I used when I was doing Ring Fit. Somehow I lost the cart. Probably when I sold my original Switch. Whoops.

That was how I thought it was going to go, but the device that's actively monitoring my heart rate is also telling me I'm racking up active calories when I am in fact standing stock still (when a workout is enabled). The reason I am currently more trusting of Ring Fit than Apple is because Apple doesn't actually know what I am doing with my body, although usually it has enough information to puzzle it out as long as I tell it I'm doing a particular workout and then continuously do one thing for half an hour, while Ring Fit knows that I am X tall and weigh Y and can make a reasonable estimate of the energy expenditure of Z squats (unless I cheat, but, then all bets are off anyway), and generally knows what actual motions I'm supposed to be making. I tried leaving Fitness Gaming on while playing Ring Fit, and when I was done, Ring Fit had me at 200 calories and Apple had me at like 550. I'll grant Ring Fit actively counts zero when you're not physically in motion, which isn't quite how it works, but... a discrepancy of nearly triple the total amount of calories? What am I to believe? Especially considering that when I don't activate a workout, Apple's readout seems to agree with Nintendo's by 10% give or take? There seems to be a broad consensus that Ring Fit underestimates while Apple overestimates, but, by that much?

(One thing is certain though: I am losing weight, what I am doing is working. This is really a matter of record-keeping and wanting to trust in the numbers that I watch going up, because I am above all else a gamer)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fedule posted:

but the device that's actively monitoring my heart rate is also telling me I'm racking up active calories when I am in fact standing stock still (when a workout is enabled).

How high is your heart rate?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
there’s no reason to believe either is close to accurate. Apple claims to have done some validation on their estimates but that means precisely zip when determining if the estimate is accurate for you. Nintendo makes no particular claim to statistical accuracy as far as i know. The difference could also be that ring fit is estimating excess calories and apple is estimating total calories. Or they could both be totally made up bullshit numbers which you should ignore

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
If you can crush a baked beans tin with your ripped biceps then it’s working OP

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Apple uses your body measurements for the estimate, as well as the determined resting heart rate. What seems to be irritating some people is that Apple shows two values while tracking. Active calories and total calories, latter which is active and basal. So one values always increases, even if you're still. Of course, if for some reason your heart rate is way higher than resting, and you don't move, your burn rate is still higher. Post workout burn, stress, whatever. Whether the tracking getting irritated by that is still accurate, YMMV.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Zwille posted:

Zerot posted:

I use StepsApp after trying a bunch of other pedometer apps and it is the best I found.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/stepsapp-pedometer/id1037595083

I am grandfathered in to their Pro version, though. I'm not sure what is locked behind the paywall.

Yes, thanks! I figure I'll get over it but I did like that I could step a step counter goal on the Fitbit and not just a general "move" goal that the Watch has.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Apple uses your body measurements for the estimate, as well as the determined resting heart rate. What seems to be irritating some people is that Apple shows two values while tracking. Active calories and total calories, latter which is active and basal. So one values always increases, even if you're still. Of course, if for some reason your heart rate is way higher than resting, and you don't move, your burn rate is still higher. Post workout burn, stress, whatever. Whether the tracking getting irritated by that is still accurate, YMMV.

In my posts I am specifically citing active calories from Apple. I am aware it also shows total calories which obviously will continue to burn when I'm not doing anything. It's the fact that specifically active calories are ticking while I'm doing nothing.

hypnophant posted:

there’s no reason to believe either is close to accurate. Apple claims to have done some validation on their estimates but that means precisely zip when determining if the estimate is accurate for you. Nintendo makes no particular claim to statistical accuracy as far as i know. The difference could also be that ring fit is estimating excess calories and apple is estimating total calories. Or they could both be totally made up bullshit numbers which you should ignore

A big part of the difference is definitely that Ring Fit freezes the counter any time you are not moving and purports only to show the calories you are burning through the exercises, and lowballing it at that.

MarcusSA posted:

How high is your heart rate?

This happens going at 80-90 before I do any exercise. Obviously if I'm coming out of an exercise it'll be up anywhere from 130-160 depending, and I can understand why it might continue ticking up calories after motion has stopped in those cases.

I'm getting obsessive about the numbers because I'm just Like That and I like to know what the perspective on what what the gadgets are telling me is, and I'd really, really love to be able to get the magic number on my wrist to at least be in the right ballpark. But I should repeat; the bottom line is that I bought this thing to help trick my brain into doing exercise, and accurate numbers or not it is working according to the scales. So there's only so annoyed I can be.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I’ve been using Fitness Gaming for Ring Fit and it’s been fine. Your heart rate doesn’t immediately go down to idle inbetween things, even if it’s not as high when actively doing the exercise.

Generally a 45 minute session for me ends up being around 350 active cals. Ring Fit would usually report around 200 cals in-game. I don’t lollygag between levels.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Fedule posted:

This happens going at 80-90 before I do any exercise. Obviously if I'm coming out of an exercise it'll be up anywhere from 130-160 depending, and I can understand why it might continue ticking up calories after motion has stopped in those cases.
If your heart rate is elevated versus resting HR, it stands to reason that you're burning some calories already, because your heart is matching some energy demand. The watch does the same in background, racking up active calories without actively tracking exercise.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Is there a way to edit sleep data? I always say I’ll be in bed by midnight but it never happens, and then the watch thinks I’ve been asleep way longer than I actually was.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Costco has the Ultra for $729 today:
https://www.costco.com/.product.4000062425.html

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Good price!

Also if you were in the military or know anyone who was you can get the ultra from the exchange website pretty regularly for $699 No Tax and free shipping.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
After collecting a lot more data and especially after comparing ring fit readouts with walks of the same length I'm now satisfied that Apple is broadly not totally inaccurate about this. So that's nice to know.

New question: it's become apparent that my otherwise excellent braided solo loop is maybe a size too big. I'm vaguely aware of Apple having an exchange program but the coverage of this I've found is all mid-lockdown and I have to think it would be preferable to walk into a fruit stand, spend five minutes with samples, and walk out with the correct band. Is this a thing you can walk in and do, or do I have to initiate through customer service first?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
It’s probably best to schedule an appointment with customer support, but walk-in support isn’t unheard of unless the store is packed, just factor in some wait (which you might have to do anyway). In my experience the apple support app chat has always been pretty helpful in ascertaining the next steps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Thanks. Chatted up support. They told me I can't return the strap at the store without returning the whole watch and need to do it online (but can still try straps on at the store). Then ten minutes later the same guy told me that maybe I can swap it out at the store, possibly. Guess I'll find out! It's a rich world of mystery out there.