Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

bulletsponge13 posted:

I've said many times before (possibly in this thread) grenades look unimpressive when they go off.
The results they produce are ghastly.

Grenades IRL: look like less, but louder than you might expect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Shrapnel definitely falls under the "Less than enjoyable" end of the spectrum.

It's so loving arbitrary, too. 4 guys could be standing in the casualty radius: 1 is now an incomplete set of replacement parts, 1 could use the donated arm, 1 is completely fine, but deaf, and the last is freckled with tiny dots that gently caress up his completion over 60% of his body.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Part that got me about grenades was how heavy they are. Looking at it the first time in basic I thought "This feels heavier than if it were a solid piece of metal that size."

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

some metals are pretty dense.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The only thing I have ever thrown well was hand grenades, because it is the only thing I was ever taught to throw properly.

You pay real close attention because grenades are equal opportunity employers.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

bulletsponge13 posted:

The only thing I have ever thrown well was hand grenades, because it is the only thing I was ever taught to throw properly.

Videos from training where the instructor has to yank the trainee to safety are always great fun.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Here's a better question, who pulled 200g out of their hat? Is that a deduction backwards from blast effect or volumetrics from whatever the gently caress it was stuffed in?

I would suppose it was a brag.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Arrath posted:

Videos from training where the instructor has to yank the trainee to safety are always great fun.

It is even funnier in real life. I don't know a single person who didn't see someone get assisted on the range. We were waiting for the range watching another unit, and saw a Drill Sergeant thump a kid in the chest as he kicked his heel forward, throwing the kid off balance, and then doing a very theatrical belly flop onto the confused child.
poo poo was funny as hell.

I got a Turtle Thump- a gentle bash to the top of my helmet when I hesitated slightly. It's so drat hard to remember to get down, because your inner child is throwing a pine Coe that finally explodes.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah Jesus. First time I heard them was on the range at Lejeune. I went there thinking it would be like the movies. There's no theater anywhere that can even come close to replicating that sound.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

bulletsponge13 posted:

I got a Turtle Thump- a gentle bash to the top of my helmet when I hesitated slightly. It's so drat hard to remember to get down, because your inner child is throwing a pine Coe that finally explodes.

i hucked that thing as hard as i could, then got my head down so fast i didn’t even see how far it went

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I qualified expert on grenades and have no idea where most of my throws landed.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I got chicken wing because I had to throw it their stupid way. Yes I know it was for safety reasons but don't turn around and criticise me when I could do it the normal way.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

A.o.D. posted:

I qualified expert on grenades and have no idea where most of my throws landed.

How does one even determine expertise in this instance? Is it awarded after successfully throwing two dozen without injuries to self or comrades?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Fearless posted:

How does one even determine expertise in this instance? Is it awarded after successfully throwing two dozen without injuries to self or comrades?

Things like throwing into a trench from 25 meters, into a bunker, cooking off into a bunker and rolling away, etc, throwing from standing, kneeling, prone, etc.

I can't remember if it was on the basic range or on "advanced" grenade ranges, but stuff like throwing into specific windows of a mockup building target.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

hypnophant posted:

i hucked that thing as hard as i could, then got my head down so fast i didn’t even see how far it went

Same. I chunked that thing and got low.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Probably the only thing I learnt from playing cricket was how to huck them shits like some kind of grenade sniper

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Arrath posted:

Hi yes it's not fun to get loving tackled by your DI into the corner of the grenade pit cause the rear end in a top hat next to you threw it wrong and the grenade landed on top of the wall a foot in front of your face.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Be glad the WW2 Army's attempt to develop a grenade that could be thrown like a baseball didn't work out, I guess.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

bulletsponge13 posted:

Looking back, I kinda wish I had a picture of everyone's face from the first live grenade exercise. People start paying attention a whole different way when you tell them "so here's your detonator and here's your grenade body, now go into that small bunker to put them together so that you only blow up yourself if you gently caress it up" even if they are otherwise well accustomed to handling explosives.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
When my conscript company went to the grenade range, my lieutenant was the safety officer. Everything went well until Private Jensen's turn, when his grenade didn't go off - his throw was perfect otherwise, pulled the pin and everything.

The now very sweaty lieutenant had to belly crawl the 15 metres to the grenade with two lumps of explosive and wires to get ready to detonate the dud. When he was 2 metres from the grenade, Pvt Jensen poked his head around the barrier and yelled "BANG!" as loud as he could.

It was a story Pvt Jensen would entertain his mates with on his many, many, many weekend guard duties afterwards.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Pvt Jensen owns

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

He didn’t ask for that but he made the best of the situation.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Mzuri posted:

When my conscript company went to the grenade range, my lieutenant was the safety officer. Everything went well until Private Jensen's turn, when his grenade didn't go off - his throw was perfect otherwise, pulled the pin and everything.

The now very sweaty lieutenant had to belly crawl the 15 metres to the grenade with two lumps of explosive and wires to get ready to detonate the dud. When he was 2 metres from the grenade, Pvt Jensen poked his head around the barrier and yelled "BANG!" as loud as he could.

It was a story Pvt Jensen would entertain his mates with on his many, many, many weekend guard duties afterwards.

What happened to Pvt Jensen? :ohdear:

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Be glad the WW2 Army's attempt to develop a grenade that could be thrown like a baseball didn't work out, I guess.

It's 12 oz so throwing it like a baseball would destroy your rotator cuff, but I guess that's a small price to pay

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Quackles posted:

Some say you can hear him scrubbing toilets to this day

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Grenade art

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Mzuri posted:

When I was sailing electrician I had a 1st that would sneak up behind me when I was balls deep in the main switchboard and do that. I'm with the lieutenant here.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

lightpole posted:

When I was sailing electrician I had a 1st that would sneak up behind me when I was balls deep in the main switchboard and do that. I'm with the lieutenant here.

I worked in a welding shop and we were building some big walk in refrigerator type structures. Think closet sized aluminum boxes so the corners of each wall need to be welded. Aluminum welding takes some focus and concentration. So youve got a guy in a tiny metal box with a very sensory depriving set of PPE on focusing on a delicate task. Then youve got 19 year old me filling up a plastic bag with oxygen and throwing it into said metal box which is also filled with errant sparks from welding.

After the detonation the welder punched me in the face in front of the foreman and honestly I couldn’t be mad about it. Foreman was cool, basically looked at us both and said “so problem solved yes?”

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That Works posted:

I worked in a welding shop and we were building some big walk in refrigerator type structures. Think closet sized aluminum boxes so the corners of each wall need to be welded. Aluminum welding takes some focus and concentration. So youve got a guy in a tiny metal box with a very sensory depriving set of PPE on focusing on a delicate task. Then youve got 19 year old me filling up a plastic bag with oxygen and throwing it into said metal box which is also filled with errant sparks from welding.

After the detonation the welder punched me in the face in front of the foreman and honestly I couldn’t be mad about it. Foreman was cool, basically looked at us both and said “so problem solved yes?”

You threw oxygen in there? gently caress, dude, I would have punched you too.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Fearless posted:

It was based on percentage of throws that made it into the target area. When I went through the course to get expert 100% of your throws had to land in the target area on the first try.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

It was based on percentage of throws that made it into the target area. When I went through the course to get expert 100% of your throws had to land in the target area on the first try.

If you miss you have to reassemble the grenade and retry

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Fearless posted:

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Here's a better question, who pulled 200g out of their hat? Is that a deduction backwards from blast effect or volumetrics from whatever the gently caress it was stuffed in?

Just asked the FSB guy that built it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

aphid_licker posted:

If you miss you have to reassemble the grenade and retry

I was in the Army, not the Marine Corps.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

You threw oxygen in there? gently caress, dude, I would have punched you too.

It was like 100ml worth so just made a loud noise. A shop prank we had all seen before. But yeah, i was an idiot teenager and he made the right call. Everyone laughed their asses off about both events (I only laughed at the first).

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
I'm cooled off.

Quackles posted:

He got a series of Stern Talks from ascending ranks of angry/disappointed NCOs and officers, and spent most of the rest of his conscription on the base due to being suddenly and mysteriously assigned to a lot of weekend guard duties. On the other hand, he rarely had to pay for his own drinks when he did manage to get out on the town.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

mlmp08 posted:

I distinctly remember arriving at the grenade range for the first time and hearing one go off. At first I didn't believe it was a grenade.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Mzuri posted:

Dumb question: why not just throw another grenade at that grenade to blow it up? Why send in a sweaty LT lol

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
A hand grenade is just as likely to simply yeet the unexploded one farther away to a random direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
I'm cooled off.

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

Dumb question: why not just throw another grenade at that grenade to blow it up? Why send in a sweaty LT lol

You always to send in a sweaty LT, no matter the situation.

The explanation given to us was that even if grenade 2 would land exactly in the right place (and your aim might be slightly off when standing in the clear, 15m from an armed hand grenade), the explosion might push grenade 1 somewhere else without detonating it, or with a delayed detonation. That somewhere might be near/over/beside the barriers we were standing behind. Or it may disappear into the bushes, giving you a whole new and exciting range of UXO problems to solve.

Detonating two 200g charges simultaneously on either side of the grenade would be as close to 100% certainty of solving the problem on the first try as you could get.

e:fb.