Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Love when white liberal racism is laid bare for everyone to see.

Thanks Jill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Don't discount the sexism in the gesture of inviting both teams, this is a properly intersectional insult.

e: Like, unless San Diego State is getting invited to the White House along with UConn, this seems pretty coded as "we expect women to set aside their own desires for the group" even though it's gussied up as "look at us girls just being pals."

Also, has Caitlin Clark even complained about getting stunted on? If she has, that's extremely weaksauce, but I've only seen herbs rushing to attack Reese in her defense.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 4, 2023

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I’m not opposed to taunting in a vacuum, but I am opposed to people experiencing and expressing joy in general.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

habeasdorkus posted:

Don't discount the sexism in the gesture of inviting both teams, this is a properly intersectional insult.

e: Like, unless San Diego State is getting invited to the White House along with UConn, this seems pretty coded as "we expect women to set aside their own desires for the group" even though it's gussied up as "look at us girls just being pals."

Also, has Caitlin Clark even complained about getting stunted on? If she has, that's extremely weaksauce, but I've only seen herbs rushing to attack Reese in her defense.

The only thing she said was that she didn't even really notice it and was just going through the like handshake line and other poo poo you do after you lose.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

That's what I'd seen... so it's really a bunch of assholes who watched one game all tournament and got all affronted on behalf of the white girl. So dumb, yet depressingly predictable.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Seems appropriate that we’re on Page 666 for this discussion :devil:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

habeasdorkus posted:

That's what I'd seen... so it's really a bunch of assholes who watched one game all tournament and got all affronted on behalf of the white girl. So dumb, yet depressingly predictable.

Yep

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1643314172887814146?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Dexo posted:

Thanks Jill.

Imagine how nuclear the takes would be if Don Imus were still alive

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1643400123068579841?s=46&t=3d9JmXOJWgE8nozHLwUyjQ

Normally when Shams / Woj tweets stuff like this I assume it’s a handy to an agent but there’s no way he’s not getting cash for this, sic em FTC

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I don't like taunting but the level of vitriol coming from the punditry is loving ridiculous. It's just not that big a deal. Roll your eyes and move on.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

General Dog posted:

I’m not opposed to taunting in a vacuum, but I am opposed to people experiencing and expressing joy in general.

Zero sum game, to have joy we need pain

At least someone gets hurt feelings when taunting happens, regardless of the outcome

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I don't like taunting but the level of vitriol coming from the punditry is loving ridiculous. It's just not that big a deal. Roll your eyes and move on.

"Mr Funny Pants", if that is your real name, would have us believe that Babe Ruth calling his shot, Dikembe Mutombo's patented finger wag, and the vaunted tradition of stealing an opponent's celebration dance across all sporst is "Not cool" and possibly even "Cringe".

Shame!

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Telluric Whistler posted:

"Mr Funny Pants", if that is your real name, would have us believe that Babe Ruth calling his shot, Dikembe Mutombo's patented finger wag, and the vaunted tradition of stealing an opponent's celebration dance across all sporst is "Not cool" and possibly even "Cringe".

Shame!

To me the called shot wasn't a taunt, it was a prediction that risked him making an idiot out of himself. It was bad-rear end. And yeah, I should have been more precise. There is an art to taunting and some of it is cool, some hilarious, and some of it is lame, some obnoxious. The one we are discussing in the women's basketball game was a nothing to me. Olbermann has lost his goddamned mind.

Larry Bird managed all four, ranging from some of the funniest, most brutal poo poo-talking to some really obnoxious, racist bullshit. Needless to say, since he was white you just about never heard about it when he was playing and you certainly never saw breathless think-pieces about how he was destroying Naismith's precious sport.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i love taunting. she shoulda done the Mohammed Hassan throat slash gesture

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dexo posted:

Thanks Jill.
I honestly think that the reason for the "double-invite" may have been the fact that the NCAA final absolutely annihilated the single-game women's basketball viewing record - easily the most attention women's basketball has ever received. We know that LSU-Iowa drew 9.9 million viewers on ESPN, but apparently the previous record was about 5.7 million for a UConn title in in the early 00's on CBS. That means the former beat the latter by almost 75% even though this game was on cable instead of OTA television.

My guess is that she was probably trying to capitalize on this being the women's version of the Bird-Magic final on the men's side and didn't really think it through.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

i love taunting. she shoulda done the Mohammed Hassan throat slash gesture
I'm sorry but "Sam Cassell Big Balls Dance" is the only correct answer.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

If you are legit you are allowed to taunt. If you taunt you run the risk of looking like a douche when you lose and that is the gamble you have made.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

If you are legit you are allowed to taunt. If you taunt you run the risk of looking like a douche when you lose and that is the gamble you have made.
LSU repeats next year and Reese does a literal victory lap around the court just doing the Big Balls Dance the whole time.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I’m not sure they’re galaxy brained enough to try and capitalize on the interest. Maybe they sense it, but I’m reading it straight.

Crazy Ted posted:

I'm sorry but "Sam Cassell Big Balls Dance" is the only correct answer.

This is known and canon. The only thing better was Serena Williams c-walking at Wimbledon during the 2012 Olympics because there’s no way she could get away with that during The Championship.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

I honestly think that the reason for the "double-invite" may have been the fact that the NCAA final absolutely annihilated the single-game women's basketball viewing record - easily the most attention women's basketball has ever received. We know that LSU-Iowa drew 9.9 million viewers on ESPN, but apparently the previous record was about 5.7 million for a UConn title in in the early 00's on CBS. That means the former beat the latter by almost 75% even though this game was on cable instead of OTA television.

Iowa-LSU was on ABC.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mahoning posted:

Iowa-LSU was on ABC.
Ah poo poo you're right - don't know what I was thinking.

In any event it was still the most watched women's NCAA game by miles. Viewership was roughly double last year's final.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
It’ll never happen unless the same network has both the men and women’s tournament but I would love it if the the women’s game was at like 3:30ET Sunday like it was and the men’s game followed at like 7:20ET. On a Sunday. This 9:20 Monday night poo poo has got to go.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Google has been sponsoring most of The Athletic's USWNT soccer coverage of late and I'm trying to hash out exactly how I feel about it?

Each story begins with a 'supported by Chrome' banner and the following header:

quote:

In The Journey to the Cup, The Athletic tells the stories of players and teams as they work towards a place in the 2023 Women’s World Cup. Follow along as we track their progress as they prepare both mentally and physically for a chance to shine on the game’s biggest stage.

And ends with this closer:

quote:

The Journey to the Cup series is part of a partnership with Google Chrome. The Athletic maintains full editorial independence. Partners have no control over or input into the reporting or editing process and do not review stories before publication.

On the one hand, companies directly sponsoring news content is a dark road and despite the disclaimer can at least indirectly influence reporting --- though that's little different than an advertiser for the news outlet generally. The grossest I've seen The Athletic get is turning most daily pregame coverage into betting news sponsored by BetMGM. On the other, coverage outside the Big 3-4 in the US is largely a chicken/egg issue: It'd be more valuable to cover if there were more fans and there'd be more fans if there was more coverage... if google thinks womens soccer fans are more apt to positively view google for 'supporting' womens soccer coverage and is willing to subsidize it, does that turn into a win for fans, the writers (Athletic has 2 apparently full time women's soccer scribes), and the sport?

The longterm IBM/Washington Post partnership is gross as hell to me, so I'm just trying to talk through why I'm more ambivalent about this one.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/_Zeets/status/1645530412695822336?t=26cre8yyxUuw4ZOeYxGsqw&s=19

Sports journalism: somehow whiter and... male-r(?) than economic journalism!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Sports journalism seems like a real old boys club kind of set up. You need to be able to get access to owners, coaches, and execs. Having other journalists get you in probably helps. Since most owners, execs, and coaches are white, and since most journalists are white, guess who gets to fill the new opening?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

Sports journalism seems like a real old boys club kind of set up. You need to be able to get access to owners, coaches, and execs. Having other journalists get you in probably helps. Since most owners, execs, and coaches are white, and since most journalists are white, guess who gets to fill the new opening?

I mean for the longest time it was controlled by the newspapers and radio still is king I think when it comes to sports stuff which are super white. I know Bill Simmons is not a great name around here but he talks about how the Boston print media wouldn't let any new writers come in and were actively hostile to anyone who tried to break in.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Mooseontheloose posted:

I mean for the longest time it was controlled by the newspapers and radio still is king I think when it comes to sports stuff which are super white. I know Bill Simmons is not a great name around here but he talks about how the Boston print media wouldn't let any new writers come in and were actively hostile to anyone who tried to break in.
Of course they were, this isn't open mic night!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

You'd think he would of learned his lesson.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mooseontheloose posted:

You'd think he would of learned his lesson.
Look, not everyone can meet the staggeringly high qualifications to get a podcast on the Ringer Network. Are you the owner's 16 year old daughter? Are you his former college roommate who eats a lot of food? No? Then stay in your fuckin' lane.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

It’s not even about getting access - in order to move up in sports writing traditionally, you went from a university program to an internship and then a small-town paper before trying to catch on with a bigger paper or outlet. None of these things is made to be easy for non-white dudes. The Internet has changed the calculus a bit but it’s also a race to the bottom.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

harperdc posted:

It’s not even about getting access - in order to move up in sports writing traditionally, you went from a university program to an internship and then a small-town paper before trying to catch on with a bigger paper or outlet. None of these things is made to be easy for non-white dudes. The Internet has changed the calculus a bit but it’s also a race to the bottom.

Yes but how is that different for any other journalism department. The thing is that sports journalists are significantly whiter than average.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I'm wondering if I participated in the poll. I don't remember doing so, but the poll is from last year and I can't tell you what I did last week.

Surprised the numbers are that low for minorities in sports. I'm in an area which is higher minority percentage and have encountered more Black writers, including in sports, which no doubt skews numbers in my head.

While I'm surprised at the percentage, I can figure out a whole lot of reasons why it is.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

FMguru posted:

Look, not everyone can meet the staggeringly high qualifications to get a podcast on the Ringer Network. Are you the owner's 16 year old daughter? Are you his former college roommate who eats a lot of food? No? Then stay in your fuckin' lane.

*fackin’ lane, pally

Also, can you compare the current Celtics lineup to characters from, say, Hill Street Blues?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

seiferguy posted:

https://twitter.com/_Zeets/status/1645530412695822336?t=26cre8yyxUuw4ZOeYxGsqw&s=19

Sports journalism: somehow whiter and... male-r(?) than economic journalism!

That's awful.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I used to believe this until I learned the gospel of Pat Bev and learned I was so wrong.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Rick posted:

That's awful.

I used to believe this until I learned the gospel of Pat Bev and learned I was so wrong.

Is that the gospel that says wake up at 6 am to talk poo poo on an early ESPN program when you don't have to?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Just for context, the US is a bit less than 60% non-latino white as of the 2020 census, as well as ~14% black and ~18% latino. I can't find a number for the prime working age cohort (25-54 years old) without putting in more effort than I want to, but the older the age cohort in the US, the more white it is. Under 18 is about 50/50 non-latino white and everyone else, so lets eyeball it and say the working age population is roughly 65% non-latino white.

That means that only "social issues and policy" grades out to being less than 10% more white than the overall population, and it's actually slightly more diverse than the overall populaton. I'm gonna take a wild stab and guess that "policy" includes immigration while "social issues" includes racism.

In sum, CRT is the real problem in this country because looking at this made my child feel guilty about having white privilege and that's far worse than actually existing racism.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 11, 2023

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Mooseontheloose posted:

I wonder if it would have helped if Bill had told them about his blacksona

Borrowing my dad's copy of The Book of Basketball and finding out that Bill Simmons has a black self insert character named Jabaal Abdul-Simmons that he occasionally pretends to be so he can understand the plight of black athletes was uhh cool.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

I wonder if it would have helped if Bill had told them about his blacksona

Borrowing my dad's copy of The Book of Basketball and finding out that Bill Simmons has a black self insert character named Jabaal Abdul-Simmons that he occasionally pretends to be so he can understand the plight of black athletes was uhh cool.

Lmfao what the fuuuuuck

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i'm willing to bet the book of basketball is an absolutely insane read in 2023.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 11, 2023

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

DJExile posted:

Lmfao what the fuuuuuck

The Bill Simmons subreddit uses that name for Bomani Jones because anyone who'd post on a Bill Simmons subreddit....

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

This is a good discussion on the satan page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

As I mentioned, he later asks Jabaal among other things why black players might not like stripping to their shorts and doing feats of strength for white owners to bid on (probably rap music) and also mentions he did not talk to a black person outside the fan/athlete relationship until after high school.

Like his idea of making the HOF building a literal tower of greatness is cool but boy its a weird book.