Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Detective No. 27 posted:

I personally don't pirate for consoles that are currently in production or with active stores. But now the eshop is dead so I would be pirating the hell out of 3DS games if it weren't for the fact that I physically own most of the physical library and can actually say my digital backups were actually dumped from my own copies.

:same:

Except for the Layton/Phoenix DLC that I never got to. No idea how that would work. Is the DLC piratable or what? Not sure how that would work.

I did look at the sales and couldn't find a single thing I wanted but didn't have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
DLC and game updates are available to install. Everything is available as far as I know and it’s really quite nice and well organized compared the romsets for other systems I’ve messed with.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah, installing pirated DLC is surprisingly simple. Just inject it like the game from what I remember.

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

Good Sphere posted:

By the way, 80’s OVERDRIVE is so far just a very mediocre experience, but that could get better, and it seems they’ve made a good effort. Early on, it’s easy to lose a race just by getting your car hit once. You’ll find that you’ll need to repeat races to save up money for new vehicles and upgrades. If you run out of money, you have to clean a car or two with the stylus, which is not fun at all. I think I’d rather join a free race if it existed, but that would also take longer. There are weird design choices, and a lack of any graphical particle system, but is otherwise passable. The pixel graphics are cool, and look good in 3D.

It was a thoroughly mediocre game when i completed the entire game on 3ds, and just as mediocre when i also completed it on the xbone. Its like a much worse outrun with a lot more content and a decent soundtrack. Enjoyable enough so long as youre not expecting too much.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
So I just looked up prices and now I live in fear of my new 3ds dying.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Since I have a New 2DS XL, I've been thinking about trying to get a 3DS while they're still $$$$ instead of waiting and them becoming $$$$$$. Is there anything that known to be potential issues with New 3DS XLs other than the batteries eventually needing replacement?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

drilldo squirt posted:

So I just looked up prices and now I live in fear of my new 3ds dying.
Is it a new New 3DS, an old New 3DS, or a new old 3DS? :v:

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
The second one.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Shiroc posted:

Since I have a New 2DS XL, I've been thinking about trying to get a 3DS while they're still $$$$ instead of waiting and them becoming $$$$$$. Is there anything that known to be potential issues with New 3DS XLs other than the batteries eventually needing replacement?

The paint can be kinda flakey, at least on the metallic ones, so they do benefit from being kept in a case. If you've got a little screwdriver it's not at all difficult to change out the exterior covers of the clamshells, so can be a good way to grab a bargain. You can have a look on AliExpress to see what kinds of alternatives/replacements are available.

I really kinda go back and forth with how I feel about my n3DS XL. It's got a decent amount more heft/bulk than the 2DS XL, so it doesn't feel quite like a "true" portable by comparison, but OTOH I do like the 3D. I don't normally play it more than 45 minutes or so at a go, but picking up one of those cheap plastic grips does make it a lot more ergonomic for longer sessions. Another nice cheap accessory is a USB dock (uses the charging pins on the back) so it can live on my desk and always be charged, they're only a couple bucks on Ali.

If portability is a concern there is the new 3DS (non XL), although they're a fair bit more rare. The smaller screen is a fair bit less immersive, but you don't get as much of the jagginess you do with the XL, so it's really a matter of personal preference. Speaking of screens, an IPS top screen is one of those "nice to have, but not essential" things on a 3DS XL. I recently sold my extra IPS one and it went for maybe 30-40 bucks more than usual, I'd probably lean towards getting one with it if you're in it for the long haul.

I'd definitely give both of the older 3DS's a miss, the upgraded 3D tracking on the newer systems is well worth whatever the difference in price is.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, there's really no reason to buy an old 3DS at this point, either get a New 3DS for the face-tracking 3D or a New 2DS if you want the cheaper price point (and more easily accessible micro SD) and you don't care about 3D.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The more accessible micro SD slot on the New 2DS is barely a selling point if you are going to run homebrew on it (and I can't imagine why you would not). Running a FTP tool via wi-fi is slow, but it means you won't need to bring out a screwdriver.

The battery on the New 2DS is harder to replace than the other models. I love my New 2DS, but that would be a reason I would not recommend it to anyone getting a(nother) 3DS at this point if you aren't tech savvy (I definitely am not).

I'm just glad they used the same kind of battery for the Pro controller, so it hasn't become harder to find online.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 4, 2023

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Saw this pop up on Reddit, figured it was worth posting here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/3DS/commen...nt=2&utm_term=1

quote:

TL;DR if you have physical games periodically plug them in to your system and load them up because it allows your 3DS to issue refresh commands that will help prevent the game cartridge from failing.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

^That's a cool tip. If only it worked on gameboy color cartridges :p

right now i have my New 3DS XL* to my left at my desk. It's using ftpd v3.1.0 to transfer a bunch of .mp3 lecture files from my computer to itself. its awesome and rad and i love my 3ds :)

my favourite game is definitely GBA Pokemon Pinball 2. its simple and very replayable with 200 pokemon to catch and i can watch tv shows whilst playing it. my favourite part of GBA pokemon pinball 2 is the pause button is top priority. no matter what is going on in the game, you can pause it. this is a massive upgrade from GBC pokemon pinball 1 from 1999.

I just recall being a 10 year old having to time my flipper hits for when there was actual natural light coming into the car window, and having to pause when it was dark but you couldn't pause at many moments of that game.

2023 and being an adult is a mixed bag. but having a supercharged gameboy is definitely a highlight :D

*(jesus christ that name) N3DSXL. Nedsol?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
So I was inspired to pull out my n3DS (non XL) and play a level of Yoshi's Island, then do the next one on the n3DS XL to compare:

It's still just as hard as I remember to pick a favourite! The 3D effect is noticeably more immersive on the bigger screen, but the graphics are that little bit less crisp because everything's being stretched, plus the weight/bulk.

So I guess I'd say:

n2DS XL: portability is king, don't care about 3D at all
n3DS non XL: want some 3D but I also want something decently portable
n3DS XL: fully committed to 3D and also never leaving the home*

*recommended for most goons

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Lampsacus posted:

^That's a cool tip. If only it worked on gameboy color cartridges :p

Most of the time whenever I encounter a dead gbc cart it's because a solder joint cracked on the rom chip. Reflow it and the cart works again, but this is just ancedotal.

Sounds like I'd better hurry up and play my 3ds before it craps as abused as mine is, or at least shove all the games in it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I have so many 3DS (and Switch) games still loving sealed. I have no time to play all of those things. Ugh.

At least I hope this reduces the market for sealed games for those systems, since they will be an unknown quantity and sellers won't be able to guarantee those games still work. This is better for everyone, honestly. Sell games you have opened up, played, and then passed on to the next person.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Saoshyant posted:

I have so many 3DS (and Switch) games still loving sealed. I have no time to play all of those things. Ugh.

At least I hope this reduces the market for sealed games for those systems, since they will be an unknown quantity and sellers won't be able to guarantee those games still work. This is better for everyone, honestly. Sell games you have opened up, played, and then passed on to the next person.

:same: Been desperately trying to do this. None of my 3ds stuff is sealed, but yeah Ever Oasis still has never been in my console.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Xenomrph posted:

Saw this pop up on Reddit, figured it was worth posting here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/3DS/commen...nt=2&utm_term=1

How exactly does this work? I don't understand why this would be necessary. Should I do the same with my DS games?

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I want a nice new 3ds xl but is it worth $400 us dollars?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I put Fire Emblem Awakening in to get some of the dlc for that, pretty sure I hadn't played it for 9 or so years and the saves were still present. Maybe I'll go through all my games just to refresh them.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

WHY BONER NOW posted:

How exactly does this work? I don't understand why this would be necessary. Should I do the same with my DS games?

it's true of all NAND-based storage, including PC SSDs, they can only hold their data for so long without power. with power they periodically refresh themselves to reset the clock.

older cart based systems used technology other than NAND, but at some point it became cheaper to use re-writable NAND even though the carts are only written once at the factory.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ethics_Gradient posted:

So I guess I'd say:

n2DS XL: portability is king, don't care about 3D at all
n3DS non XL: want some 3D but I also want something decently portable
n3DS XL: fully committed to 3D and also never leaving the home*

*recommended for most goons

I regret not buying a N2DSXL when they were new - the N3DSXL is so heavy and clunky, and IMO the 3D effect never really adds anything to any of the games on the platform. I also much prefer the general aesthetic of the N2DX and its colour options. :rip:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

teraflame posted:

In my opinion, you may as well buy a Steam Deck for that sort of money, as you can run 3DS games on it, plus everything else.

If you have the sort of disposable cash where it's not a problem, sure, go for it and get a N3DSXL, but if you didn't buy one like 7 years ago why would you want one now and at premium prices?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

WHY BONER NOW posted:

You do not need to do this with original DS games. Just 3DS ones. And Switch. And probably PSVita's.

Oh god, my Vita collection, I have barely touched the thing in the last four years.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

teraflame posted:

$400? You should be able to find a used one in good shape for at least $100-150 less than that.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

repiv posted:

it's true of all NAND-based storage, including PC SSDs, they can only hold their data for so long without power. with power they periodically refresh themselves to reset the clock.

older cart based systems used technology other than NAND, but at some point it became cheaper to use re-writable NAND even though the carts are only written once at the factory.

That really surprises me, I expected them to be ROMs with updates and saves stored on the console. Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah drat, guess I'm testing all of my 3DS carts this weekend. My MH4U cart has already been acting up as of late...

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 5, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Midjack posted:

That really surprises me, I expected them to be ROMs with updates and saves stored on the console. Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend.

does anyone even make multi-gigabyte ROM chips? it's such a niche application at this point, i can't imagine who besides nintendo would use them

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
Is it just 3ds games afflicted by the NAND problem, or are DS games affected too?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I had a nice purp 2DSXL that I gave to my Niece foolishly. I miss how light it was compared to my XL

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Is it possible to replace the N3DSXL top and bottom plates? I really dislike the glossy feeling and seems very easy to look dirty.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Yes, but you'd have to find fitting replacements. Who's even producing those these days with quality?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Saoshyant posted:

Yes, but you'd have to find fitting replacements. Who's even producing those these days with quality?

I don't think anyone is which is weird, it feels like there'd be a niche for ones with custom art and poo poo like that, especially the bottom plate since it's so trivial to swap.

I bought a bunch of replacements from the Nintendo store back in the day just so I could change the color of the bottom plate randomly.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I finished Boxboy today. It's super cute and the ending is kinda sweet and kinda sad.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Quiet Feet posted:

I finished Boxboy today. It's super cute and the ending is kinda sweet and kinda sad.

Onward to the sequel!

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The boxboy series is ridiculously dark and tragic for something with no dialogue and that artstyle.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

teraflame posted:

Is it possible to replace the N3DSXL top and bottom plates? I really dislike the glossy feeling and seems very easy to look dirty.

I would love a bottom plate replacement that doesn’t have the lovely paint/vinyl/whatever layer that wears off. Does anyone have a recommendation for sealing it or hastening its removal? I’m tired of having flakes on my hands after use.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I was about to post some very confused questions util I realized that I was confusing Boxboy with Pushmo

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

teraflame posted:

I've found the Ali Express ones to be fine so far - I replaced my worn, metallic grey exterior plates with the SNES ones. Overtightening one of the screws on the bottom led to a little cracking around one, but otherwise it's held up well. I do keep it in a case when I travel though.

For the top, you should also order a pair of matching rubber screw covers - they're listed as "reusable" in most guides but I think it's only in a very theoretical sense (I usually tear at least one getting them off), they're really cheap so it doesn't bother me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

runchild posted:

I would love a bottom plate replacement that doesn’t have the lovely paint/vinyl/whatever layer that wears off. Does anyone have a recommendation for sealing it or hastening its removal? I’m tired of having flakes on my hands after use.

I think you could probably just peel it at this point, mine looks like you could get it off in pieces if you started chipping away at the worn edges.

I've wondered if I could paint one with clear nail polish to slow it down if I ever start with a fresh one.