Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

7c Nickel posted:

I accidentally indicated myself instead, please advise.
I showed you my indictment, please respond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Not clear what larger underlying crime the DA is alleging right now.

The campaign finance violations, IIRC.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

oooh he postin

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

V-Men posted:

The campaign finance violations, IIRC.

That is what is assumed, but it hasn't been made public yet. Also, there were reports that the prosecutors were probing about Karen McDougal during the grand jury and the possibility that they are seeking something broader than just Stormy Daniels.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Calling the judge "highly partisan" and a kangaroo court like three hours before getting arraigned in front of him, you love to see it

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

mdemone posted:

Calling the judge "highly partisan" and a kangaroo court like three hours before getting arraigned in front of him, you love to see it

I wish Trump would.go pro se and show em how it's done

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

That is what is assumed, but it hasn't been made public yet. Also, there were reports that the prosecutors were probing about Karen McDougal during the grand jury and the possibility that they are seeking something broader than just Stormy Daniels.

I thought the McDougal payments were essentially the same as the Daniels payments. Cohen paid them off to benefit the campaign, Trump reimbursed him, and the Trump Organization billed it as legal expenses.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

mdemone posted:

Ironically, I think this is the one time where working the refs might be a good idea. The judge is going to be extremely aware that this is going to have political implications and will go out of his way to make sure the court doesn't seem political and uphold the decorum of the institution. Which means Trump can flood the airwaves and likely won't be punished for it because it will just "prove" that the judge is biased against him. I think the judge likely won't take any unilateral steps on punitive measures unless the prosecution gets really aggressive in asking for them.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Trump basically admitted to taking classified documents with the intent to sell them back to the U.S. (or at least profit from them in some way) in an interview with Hannity.

Specifically, he cites that "Nixon got $18 million" from the federal government for his documents and the Watergate tapes.

I love Hannity desperately trying to shift the conversation once he realizes that he set Trump up to deny the whole thing and he is just diving in to admit it instead.

https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1642869119748911104

I mean...if they ever get around to charging him for that, that video is gonna be front a center of the prosecutor's case, won't it?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

V-Men posted:

I thought the McDougal payments were essentially the same as the Daniels payments. Cohen paid them off to benefit the campaign, Trump reimbursed him, and the Trump Organization billed it as legal expenses.

My understanding was that we did not know the identity of the other woman whose payments were wrapped up in this. It may be that McDougal is also involved especially given Pecker's testimony, but I think there's somebody else unknown as yet.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ironically, I think this is the one time where working the refs might be a good idea. The judge is going to be extremely aware that this is going to have political implications and will go out of his way to make sure the court doesn't seem political and uphold the decorum of the institution. Which means Trump can flood the airwaves and likely won't be punished for it because it will just "prove" that the judge is biased against him. I think the judge likely won't take any unilateral steps on punitive measures unless the prosecution gets really aggressive in asking for them.

I wouldn't be that judge if you paid me $1M/day to do it

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

His supporters are out in force

https://twitter.com/notcapnamerica/status/1643257444884180994

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

mdemone posted:

I wouldn't be that judge if you paid me $1M/day to do it
That's a ridiculous lie.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Tatsuta Age posted:

oooh he postin

Trump posting through this all is probably some of the best entertainment I’ve seen on social media lately.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Charlz Guybon posted:

That's a ridiculous lie.

I tried. I really did.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tatsuta Age posted:

oooh he postin

Great idea to keep antagonizing the humanoid cane toad that helped cover up your crimes.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

V-Men posted:

They are similar, but McDougal was part of the "catch and kill" scheme with the National Enquirer. It wasn't an explicit hush money situation like with Stormy Daniels. It was a conspiracy betwen AMI media and Trump to purchase the exclusive rights to individual women's stories and then refuse to publish them. But, they were buying them on behalf of Trump without telling the women that this was the explicit purpose of the exchange (they told McDougal that she would appear on two magazine covers and get a column for her story).

Trump reimbursed Cohen, but we don't know if he reimbursed AMI. If he didn't, then it wouldn't be a direct campaign finance violation, but it would be explicit evidence that Trump conspired and knowingly was involved in the payments and make Michael Cohen's testimony considered corroborated if AMI testified the same thing. There are also rumors and comments from Cohen that there were more than just two women involved and the financial and conspiracy aspects may have been larger than publicly reported.

But, we'll probably know for sure pretty soon!

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 4, 2023

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

That Judge will also have to answer to all their NYS contemporaries who most likely won't like seeing their state pushed around by the local black sheep billionaire. It's certainly going to be interesting to see how Trump plays this and how the court/attorneys respond.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Yes this is where I'm leaning too. Trump will do everything short of telling followers to burn it all down but the court system will bend over into pretzel shape hoping it will calm the whiny toddler down. That being said I do hope he....what's the term...posts through it.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Hurrr

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Has there been any word on when this is supposed to go down, besides nebulously “today”?

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
why the gently caress are this guy's feet backwards?
also there's four reporters for every trump supporter because they learned nothing last time

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Xiahou Dun posted:

Has there been any word on when this is supposed to go down, besides nebulously “today”?

Arraignment hearing is scheduled for 2:15

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Piell posted:

Arraignment hearing is scheduled for 2:15

Mercy buckets, mon friar.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

InsertPotPun posted:

why the gently caress are this guy's feet backwards?
also there's four reporters for every trump supporter because they learned nothing last time

nicely spotted!

there's been a problem with AI-fakes recently, so my bet would be this is one of those

AIs always get at least something wrong. For now, at least.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Well I don't know guilty but I assume not is an idiot.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

I also think that Trump won't get a complete gag order, but for completely different reasons: gag orders exist to prevent participants from tainting the jury, and I don't think there's any judge on the planet who seriously expects to get a jury with no prior opinion on whether or not Donald J Trump has been unfairly persecuted by the system.

If he starts leaking courtroom evidence or something, then he will get gagged on that stuff. But I don't think it really makes a whole ton of sense for a judge to decree that he's not allowed to post his whiny rants online anymore? He's allowed to post on the internet that he's not guilty, there's no actual compelling legal reason to block that.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Arraignment is at 2:15 and the DA says they issue a press release with all the details of the charges and hold a press conference to take questions immediately afterward.

I'm going to take a wild guess and assume that Trump is getting knocked to the top of the 2:15 arraignment calendar. If that is the case (and they start on time, which is a big "if" most of the time), then they will probably be putting out the press release around 3:00 pm.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1643252078561640449

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i am nervous that angry trump supporters will do a great big dumb bad thing

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Main Paineframe posted:

I also think that Trump won't get a complete gag order, but for completely different reasons: gag orders exist to prevent participants from tainting the jury, and I don't think there's any judge on the planet who seriously expects to get a jury with no prior opinion on whether or not Donald J Trump has been unfairly persecuted by the system.

If he starts leaking courtroom evidence or something, then he will get gagged on that stuff. But I don't think it really makes a whole ton of sense for a judge to decree that he's not allowed to post his whiny rants online anymore? He's allowed to post on the internet that he's not guilty, there's no actual compelling legal reason to block that.

Judges will frequently give out contempt charges or gag orders for disrespecting the court or attacking the prosecution/defense in public. If Trump was a normal person doing all of this, then there is a very good chance he would get hit with sanctions of some kind if he didn't stop.

Also, no judge is going to openly admit that it is impossible to get an impartial jury. They are going to ask jurors if they can put aside any biases to come to an objective decision or if their mind is already made up and they will only pick someone who answers "Yes" to both. Even if it is impossible, they would never say that out loud or use it as a justification for a process ruling.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i am nervous that angry trump supporters will do a great big dumb bad thing

I wouldn't be - he's cooperating so I would expect that things will go smoothly. He still has an election in 2024 to deal with so I imagine he will be on his best behavior outside a couple Truth Social posts making fun of the DA

Judges will frequently give out contempt charges or gag orders for disrespecting the court or attacking the prosecution/defense in public. If Trump was a normal person doing all of this, then there is a very good chance he would get hit with sanctions of some kind if he didn't stop.

Also, no judge is going to openly admit that it is impossible to get an impartial jury. They are going to ask jurors if they can put aside any biases to come to an objective decision or if their mind is already made up and they will only pick someone who answers "Yes" to both. Even if it is impossible, they would never say that out loud or use it as a justification for a process ruling.

Maybe we will get a bench trial? I doubt it though :(

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Tatsuta Age posted:

oooh he postin

My attorney has advised me to talk about this case to the news as much and as often as possible without checking first.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Libluini posted:

nicely spotted!

there's been a problem with AI-fakes recently, so my bet would be this is one of those

AIs always get at least something wrong. For now, at least.

I'd want to know the source of the image, but I think that's just someone standing behind him facing the other way. The physical site is accurate to life and the image has a number of features that AI doesn't (and probably can't) replicate without effectively being handheld to produce them.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 4, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Grip it and rip it posted:

Maybe we will get a bench trial? I doubt it though :(

Never in a billion years would Trump want a NJT and if I was his attorney, then I would never in a million years advise him to get an NJT.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

The jury aspect of all this is gonna be a clusterfluck, I really don't see anyway you windup with a unanimous decision.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The only thing I would be worried about if I were Trump's attorneys is that the venue is in Manhattan. If I were them, I'd be asking for a change of venue to Long Island for jury selection.

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/krassenstein/status/1643252835969114112

George Santos and MTG have been spotted together making their way to the courthouse apparently. Always figured he'd end up falling in with that crowd since he seems to be in the House to troll and gaslight. No doubt the GOP base at large adores his antics and "getting away with it" (so far) even if NY might not anymore.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Both Santos and MTG were there extremely briefly; both were effectively drowned out by protesters, but then, the point of their appearance was to show the hostile reception.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Why in the hell are we posting Krassenstein? Is Weekly World News feed down?

Overall, it feels like the timeline is right for the Republican Establishment to make their last angry noises, drop a sarcastic "here they go again" when Georgia and Justice jump in, and then make the rounds to the usual Sunday shows in January to talk about how Americans are tired of hearing about his legal issues and would rather focus on the issues plaguing this country (libraries, youth sports, aerosolized fentanyl, Hunter Biden's laptop).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Trump is apparently going to document his surrender and arrest process with a professional videographer, including a staged perp walk, as part of a documentary/BTS video and series of pictures he will be releasing shortly after.

https://twitter.com/KristenhCNN/status/1643252350742609920