Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Snapes N Snapes posted:

Thanks Guardians! Looks like I'm going double bow (primary+heavy) from now on. Any legendary recommendations or is it always precision frame+fastest drawtime+dmg perk?

PvE bow thoughts. I'm only going to touch on legendary bows since you want your exotic to be leviathan's.

Imo the most important question to ask is "how many hits does it take to kill a standard red bar". If lightweight and precision take the same use the lightweight, otherwise use a precision. Always use minor spec

The next question is what perks to use, and the answer is always explosive head. It is always-on +17% damage, AoE, and double champ hitting. There's basically no reason to ever use a different perk. For the other perk the answer is usually Archer's tempo because it adds an on-hit draw time reduction that goes beneath the floor. AT/EH will be the best roll in 99% of PvE cases

Finally, I highly recommend kinetic bows because of their intrinsic +10% damage that stacks with surge/overcharge. They're just better than any element unless you need the coverage which you usually don't.

So I would rate the best PvE bows in each frame as

Lightweight: Fel Tardiddle the Craftable Wellspring bow with AT/EH, it doesn't get any better.

Precision: Accrued Redemption from Garden of Salvation, AT/EH as well. Since that's kind of a pain to get the next best option is Biting Winds from Europa, it only has EH but you can farm it solo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I want to see a special ammo bow.

Necrobama
Aug 4, 2006

by the sex ghost

Oxyclean posted:

ok but the cabal are gonna have a build a bow big enough to shoot me out of

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012

Snapes N Snapes posted:

Thanks Guardians! Looks like I'm going double bow (primary+heavy) from now on. Any legendary recommendations or is it always precision frame+fastest drawtime+dmg perk?

I'm not sure if it's craftable at the moment, but the void bow Under Your Skin is absolutely my favorite legendary weapon in the game. After using the archer's tempo drawtime perk for a while, I switched to an enhanced unrelenting/explosive head combo last season, and have really noticed the health benefits.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

It's craftable if you have the pattern, but you can't make any pattern progress at this time.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

I also want to see:

Special ammo rapid fire gun that’s something between Auto Rifles and LMGs

Heavy Trace Rifle

But also:

Heavy Pulse
Heavy Sidearm
Wave Frame Hand Cannon

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Roctavian posted:

I also want to see:

Heavy Trace Rifle

But also:

Heavy Pulse
Heavy Sidearm
Wave Frame Hand Cannon

Definitely want to see a heavy trace as well.

Wave Frame Hand Cannon? Like it's just tiny little wave frame bursts if you shoot the ground? That made me think of something similar - like a semi-auto weapon (HC-like) that goes on the remote detonation mechanic - basically fire and release to explode your bullet near targets. Like some kind of manual flak gun.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Legendary Witherhoard style AoE GLs would be amazing with the new elemental perks.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

Like some kind of manual flak gun.

I am ignoring the rest of this post to call Bungie cowards for not copying the UT flak cannon into the game.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I would LOVE to see what they would do with a heavy trace rifle.

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012

Kith posted:

It's craftable if you have the pattern, but you can't make any pattern progress at this time.

Well, rats. Thanks for the clarification. Just cross your fingers and hope for a random drop, I guess.

On a (sort of) similar note, what's everybody doing with their non-seasonal vendor engrams? I lucked out with an auto-loading/chill clip Riptide early in the season (this is a gun that absolutely everyone needs, btw), and now the engrams are just piling up and making the map screen flash. Are there any other god rolls that I should be looking for?

filmcynic fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 4, 2023

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

sunday at work posted:

Legendary Witherhoard style AoE GLs would be amazing with the new elemental perks.
That feels sort of like what wave frames are - or at least I feel like a big part of witherhoard's strength/uniqueness is in the fact the pool lingers. What would legendary versions lose to balance out?

Either way I'm very much hoping we get a stasis/strand wave frame soon. (Rumor has it next season will have a stasis one in the dungeon, but that means no crafting.)

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Like most every PvE shooter. I'm finding that enemies are much more dangerous the closer you get to them, and I'm struggling with swords as a third weapon. It's like having ready access to a titan super as long as I'm facing anything less than a Strike boss, but when that boss shows up I'd really rather have something like a rocket launcher or sniper rifle where I can keep my distance.

Is there something about using swords I'm overlooking? Right now I basically take it out and spam attacks. If I don't kill my enemy (strike boss), I eat bad hits.

Also, does anyone else despise the titan jump? Everything about this thing is bad and I want to do a hunter double jump so bad. I overshoot landings, I get pushed off ledges and can't change direction, I bump into low ceilings, it sucks!

Can I turn off the hud effect that some powers give while jumping or sprinting? It's distracting and making me limit my builds just to avoid seeing it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

A heavy trace should just be an over the shoulder giant laser cannon that you can’t aim once it starts firing

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Sleeper Simulant, technically

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
One Thousand Voices?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Roctavian posted:

I also want to see:

A lot of these already exist in some form.

quote:

That's a Trace Rifle.

quote:

Heavy Trace Rifle
That's a Rapid Fire LMG.

quote:

Heavy Pulse
We don't actually have one of these but you could argue that 1k Voices is.

quote:

Heavy Sidearm
Forerunner and Xenophage, arguably.

quote:

Wave Frame Hand Cannon
Jotunn, unless I'm completely misinterpreting what you're asking for.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
ascendant alloys are way too hard to get now, lol that they only come from weeklies/400 legendary shards/wellspring. They need to drop from defiant battlegrounds

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A wave motion cannon?

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

Okay hear me out, you know how dead messenger was three wave frames taped together?

What about three dead messengers taped together?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kith posted:

(heavy trace)
That's a Rapid Fire LMG.
"a lot of bullets" is not a laser.

It's mostly an aesthetic thing, but I feel like there's probably something interesting you could do mechanically with a "heavy trace" that'd set it apart from LMGs.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

built-in Target Lock :hehe:

Necrobama
Aug 4, 2006

by the sex ghost

Oxyclean posted:

"a lot of bullets" is not a laser.

It's mostly an aesthetic thing, but I feel like there's probably something interesting you could do mechanically with a "heavy trace" that'd set it apart from LMGs.

make it do the death star laser thing where a couple of smaller lasers converge into a SUPER LASER

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

counterpoint: ghostbusters laser. make it all wiggly and lock on to its primary target

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I liked the idea of Coldheart - this bucking bronco laser with damage to make it worth it - but then the catalyst made it way more steady and new weapons came in to outshine it.

I think a heavy version that doesn't shy away from "after holding the trigger for more than 1.5 seconds this things gonna try and fly out of your hands" type gun I think they're fun

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

Also, does anyone else despise the titan jump? Everything about this thing is bad and I want to do a hunter double jump so bad. I overshoot landings, I get pushed off ledges and can't change direction, I bump into low ceilings, it sucks!

strafe lift only ever, don't use high outside some super super niche cases

catapult has some uses as well, but strafe is still the way

the cadence of all three jumps for the different classes is different, for warlocks it's a fast double tap, but titans it's slightly delayed - you can also use it to skate almost perfectly horizonal across the ground with a little practice

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

high lift supremacy. fly forever.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Strafe lasts the longer than catapult as well, allowing a lot more activate/ deactivate shenanigans I’ve found. Some people swear by catapult but I can’t make it work. Strangely the highest you can go with strafe is still double tapping like you’re some warlock, but most jumps are delayed until you’re halfway up, slowing near your peak, at your peak, or as you start falling again (for distance).

E: I said longest but high lift may be as long or longer, I wouldn’t know because it sucks

uwaeve fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 4, 2023

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

goddamn just make nightfall playlists or merge them into one thing with level modifiers. they are so repetitious. strike playlists are way more fun.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Kith posted:

high lift supremacy. fly forever.

:hmmyes:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

uwaeve posted:

E: I said longest but high lift may be as long or longer, I wouldn’t know because it sucks

high lift lasts for 2.6 seconds, strafe lift lasts for 2.2, catapult lift lasts for 1.

though if you have lion rampant, lift duration is increased to 4 seconds for all types, so catapault rampant is the best of all worlds

Necrobama
Aug 4, 2006

by the sex ghost

victrix posted:

you can also use it to skate almost perfectly horizonal across the ground with a little practice

:hellyeah:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is lifting faster than sprinting?

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Kith posted:

high lift lasts for 2.6 seconds, strafe lift lasts for 2.2, catapult lift lasts for 1.

though if you have lion rampant, lift duration is increased to 4 seconds for all types, so catapault rampant is the best of all worlds

Ty for the data, I didn’t know any of this.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

No idea but I compulsively hover as much as I compulsively reload now.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Jack B Nimble posted:

it can be if you're skating but otherwise no

uwaeve posted:

Ty for the data, I didn’t know any of this.

:tipshat: i get most of my destiny data from the data compendium if you'd ever like to look things up yourself! however you have to be a little roundabout sometimes if you're looking for something specific - for example, i know the titan lift durations because the lion rampant section has them, not because there's a section for class jump details

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

with skating tech, but if you're going to do that just equip an eager edge and put on some edm while you pretend to be a speed runner

I'm too lazy for that poo poo

that said, if you're good at ground-scooting with lift, you tend to be faster at getting around almost any map than any garden variety pubbies, and most other players who aren't skilled at movement or speed tech, simply because you're doing as the crow flies movement without worrying about interacting with any of the terrain on the way

e: this is also specifically why I dislike high lift, strafe is much easier to do very controlled movement with gentle adjustments, high lasts slightly longer than strafe, but not enough to make up for the annoying extra vertical momentum which interferes with glassy smooth hovering

Mobility also affects any of this slightly, though it's generally only an issue with very high values, Mob affects your base jump height and acceleration, which can affect how you move - you'll notice this real quick if you have like 2-4 mob and pick up the max Mob boosts from the Queen, suddenly you're high jumping everywhere and it feels weird as hell (it also affects your base movement speed, but not sprint speed - for that, get you a lightweight weapon, which I actually highly encourage be part of your daily pve loadout, super comfy)

victrix fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 4, 2023

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Lethrom posted:

Okay hear me out, you know how dead messenger was three wave frames taped together?

What about three dead messengers taped together?

4 Cerberus+1s taped together.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I will always respect anyone that uses Sweet Business. I have never been mad in crucible getting killed by it. Whoever is using it is clearly having a good time

Oh for sure. Got a lot of fun emotes, some high fives, and a tea bag here and there. Even some opposition switched to SB...or a scout rifle to counter. But i didn't get the angry vibe.

I think it's tits because people love to challenge peek and can't aim at you when they are instantly taking 900rpm to the face from pulse rifle range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Strafe lift with some delay is definitely slightly faster than sprinting but nothing compared to keeping an eager edge lunge’s momentum. It may not even beat someone with a lightweight frame buff, but it’s noticeable in random strikes where I can gradually overtake people by scooting horizontally a lot.