Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

T-Bone posted:

There's a pretty interesting article in the Athletic on some changes Essensa worked with Ullmark to make on how he squares for shots:

https://theathletic.com/4373403/2023/04/04/linus-ullmark-bruins-vezina-trophy/ -- more here.

Backflow is still not widely adopted in the NHL, let alone throughout goaliedom (a lot of goalies still prefer the classic square and stop). I haven't played goalie or coached goalies in years now but square and stop was certainly still the preferred method when I did. I feel like instinctually most goalies had/have some degree of predictive backflow in their game, just not the rigorous amount of it that appears to be incorporated now. Noted SAS EBUG titanium could probably add more.

Yeah Essensa really seems to know his stuff. I don't think his name gets thrown around as a goalie guru the way Mitch Korn used to be, maybe it does in goaltending circles, but he doesn't seem to be a big name league-wide like Mitch was. But just look at his track record with Boston's goalies. Since 2003 some of the bigger name goalies he's helped develop include Andrew Raycroft, Tim Thomas, Tuukka Rask, Anton Khudobin, and now Ullmark and Swayman. If Ullmark wins the Vezina this year he'll have coached three different goalies to four Vezinas in the past 15 years. Obviously a lot of their success is natural talent, but he also seems to get the most out of their goalies for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The theory of it makes sense given the increased speed and lateral playmaking in today's game. I'm impressed that Ullmark has been able to incorporate it into his style after not playing that way basically his entire life. Just mentally it's got to be so difficult to:

1) Consciously make the change, especially when so much of goaltending you want to be instinctual.
2) Trust that it will make you better in the long run, especially when you're already a NHL level starting goaltender.
3) Accept that you might be worse in the short run and take the lumps along the way.

Reminds of me Sean Burke (another goalie coach!) playing way deeper in his crease in 1999-2003 and going on that incredible late career run with the Yotes. That was a Benoit Allaire thing iirc.

in other news

https://twitter.com/amandacstein/status/1643262009398493184

The Devils scratching Sharangovich after a 100% xGF game vs. Winnipeg against a soft Penguins team he should thrive against is p good (that is, not p good) but I guess you've gotta make panic moves after a game you lost because of goaltending. Maybe uhhh panic in that direction and call Schmid back up.

The D pairing shakeup: Siegenthaler was dreadful against Winnipeg, and Bahl has been pretty good lately, but that doesn't seem like a long term solution to me (Bahl is playing well, but not that well). Door is wide the gently caress open for Luke Hughes.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 4, 2023

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

T-Bone posted:

The theory of it makes sense given in the increased speed and lateral playmaking in today's game. I'm impressed that Ullmark has been able to incorporate it into his style after not playing that way basically his entire life. Just mentally it's got to be so difficult to

1) Consciously make the change, especially when so much of goaltending you want to be instinctual
2) Trust that it will make you better in the long run, especially when you're already a NHL level starting goaltender.
3) Accept that you might be worse in the short run and take the lumps along the way.

Reminds of me Sean Burke (another goalie coach!) consciously playing way deeper in his crease in 1999-2003 and going on that incredible late career run with the Yotes. That was a Benoit Allaire thing iirc.

It really does make some of the stuff we do with the kid goalies make more sense. We cut out RVH and are teaching them to Panda on the post instead. And the ones it clicked for quickly were finding it easier to get across to the other side quicker, and not giving up softies over their shoulder as easily. So to see this very minor change produce some really big results for a really smart reason is super cool. Something like 80% of goals come from 2nd+ chances, so anything that can keep you square but keep you moving to get to that next attempt should have some great results. It's really fun to watch. I remember Dubnyk coming into Minnesota and making a small change in Arizona with Sean Burke and it paying huge in the results column.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Shithead Carson Brier kicked off the Mercyhurst university team

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/36058523/as-court-date-looms-briere-dismissed-mercyhurst-hockey-team

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Andrew Raycroft, Tim Thomas, Tuukka Rask, Anton Khudobin, and now Ullmark and Swayman.

that’s up there with Allaire with Hank, Igor, Georgiev, Talbot, Biron resurgence, Pavelec, Raanta, Valiquette having some good years even.

I wonder if there’s competition for these guys. seems like a huge advantage to be able to get performances like that

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1643292126598291478

Totally normal year for the Sens' goaltending.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Dreaming of Luke Hughes in the regular lineup

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Columbus is starting a 22 year-old goalie in his first NHL game tonight, he has a sub-.900 in the AHL so I’m assuming the Leafs score max 2 goals on 40+ shots, one of them late with the game out of reach, and lose

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

I wonder if there’s competition for these guys. seems like a huge advantage to be able to get performances like that

Essensa has been with the Bruins since 2003 and Benoit Allaire with the Rangers since 2004, their clubs definitely make sure they're taken care of. Perhaps the best example would be Francois Allaire, who was with the Habs from 84-96 alongside Patrick Roy, who then left for the Ducks from 96-09, and followed Brian Burke from Anaheim to Toronto where he was from 09-12, before reuniting with Roy, then head coach in Colorado, from 13-17, at which point he retired. Mitch Korn was in Nashville forever and followed Barry Trotz to Washington.

Goalie coaching seems to be a job best suited to long tenures. Teams know how to take care of their guys, and it seems like being trusted and having a good relationship with the organization is a huge part of it. Benoit Allaire is deeply involved with the Rangers and is involved with drafting and scouting in addition to goalie coaching. F. Allaire and Korn's moves suggest they value the trust and relationship with their head coaches, since they still need to work closely with them.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Jason Robertson is good. Dang good.

How is he the first Dallas Star to crest 100pts?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

that’s up there with Allaire with Hank, Igor, Georgiev, Talbot, Biron resurgence, Pavelec, Raanta, Valiquette having some good years even.

Also I’m giving Allaire credit for Halak going from
0-5-1, 3.20 GAA, .873 SV% his first six games to 10-3-2, 2.40 GAA, .913 SV% since then. Even tho I think Halak is well beyond his “learn new tricks” phase.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Zodijackylite posted:

Goalie coaching seems to be a job best suited to long tenures. Teams know how to take care of their guys, and it seems like being trusted and having a good relationship with the organization is a huge part of it.

all that’s true, but if I was an owner with cash and that’s the uncapped area where I can spend bigbux, I would throw a bin of money at those dudes. i know the answer to “why isn’t this owner making rational decisions” is literally pinned to this forum, but still.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Canucks gave Ian Clark pretty much unquestioned control over goalie development and deployment and he's responded by having them post a league worst .880Sv%

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Sabres might start Devon Levi tonight, against the team that drafted him, and signs point to Tage playing. Both teams need the win to keep pace with the Penguins for WC2 and I might die of a brain aneurysm halfway through the game from the stress let’s fuckin gooooooo :unsmigghh:

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

How is he the first Dallas Star to crest 100pts?
It's not counting the North Stars (so nothing before 94) and they only became really good in 97 when scoring was already way down.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Shinjobi posted:

Jason Robertson is good. Dang good.

That 4-year, $7.75mil cap hit contract he signed was a huge steal for Dallas in the present, but my god is it going to cost them in 2026

If you luck into drafting a superstar, sign him as long as you can as early as you can

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

If you luck into drafting a superstar, sign him as long as you can as early as you can

Have you considered the alternative: that an overpaid, over the hill defender indicated he wanted a trade to your team which is super flattering and you really liked him when you last scouted him in 2012 so it's probably best to bridge your young, franchise centre so you can fit the husk of OEL onto your roster? Because that's another option.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

drat, I did not see his point totals
He's the first (Dallas) Star to crack the 100 point threshold, right?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

drat, I did not see his point totals
He's the first (Dallas) Star to crack the 100 point threshold, right?

Yeah previous record was Modano with 93 but Jamie Benn did win the Art Ross with 87 during the dark, dark days of the mid 10s.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

T-Bone posted:

Reminds of me Sean Burke (another goalie coach!) playing way deeper in his crease in 1999-2003 and going on that incredible late career run with the Yotes. That was a Benoit Allaire thing iirc.

Yeah, Allaire coached Lundqvist to play deeper in his net for most of his career. In Sweden he was way more aggressive but he had the reflexes and impeccable positioning to transition to a deeper net method that gave him just a fraction of more time to react as well.

The downside was later in his career you could notice that his reflexes weren't as fast so he had to try to figure out a more middle ground and couldn't keep playing quite as deep as he used to and rely on his reflexes

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Leafs are doing pride decals on their helmets. Well everyone except Samsonov, who won't wear one on the back of his mask.

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

The Dirty Burger posted:

That 4-year, $7.75mil cap hit contract he signed was a huge steal for Dallas in the present, but my god is it going to cost them in 2026

Gaglardi is an idiot who was whining about something that sounded like Robertson’s contract last summer. I would absolutely believe that he is also the idiot who is behind Nill’s decisions.

AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

Except Meriläinen played this year in the Finnish Elite League sharing the top spot in most shutouts. But I guess that wouldn't make as much of a news story

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The Leafs are doing pride decals on their helmets. Well everyone except Samsonov, who won't wear one on the back of his mask.

Disappointed in Samsonov, wonder if there’ll be some sort of message/statement about it. From a team perspective they have to know it’s gonna cause a stir.

e: oh the CP article says he “isn’t expected” to wear one but isn’t specific about why, I guess we’ll see at game time

Koopa Kid fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 4, 2023

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I remember when Russia first invaded Ukraine and there was some talk about whether Russian players should play in the NHL this season and the main defense for why they should is that we shouldn't allow what is happening in a country somewhere else affect the players here and they aren't a representative of that country's policy. Fast forward to now and a bunch of Russian players refusing to wear pride gear because of laws back in Russia and that whole argument gets thrown out of the window. gently caress them.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Bunch of Canadian players too. Double gently caress them

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Russia connection is just a distraction. Sure a Russian started this whole fiasco, but fundamentally it's an issue of bigots being given permission to be bigots under the guise of "respecting everyone's opinions." Which is dog whistle bullshit for "we have a right to be bigots, so come on fellow bigots, let's be loud bigots!"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It should have have been a non starter by not giving the players a choice at all, but since they did give the players a choice it should have been "wear the jersey and play the game or don't wear the jersey and get scratched". The fact that they gave the players a choice with no consequence just emboldened them to act like shitheads.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Dirty Burger posted:

“Only four years? That’s cute,” Kevyn Adams quipped as he leaned back in his chair, sipped wine from a goblet and let out a chuckle.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Madkal posted:

It should have have been a non starter by not giving the players a choice at all, but since they did give the players a choice it should have been "wear the jersey and play the game or don't wear the jersey and get scratched". The fact that they gave the players a choice with no consequence just emboldened them to act like shitheads.

It really should be "or don't wear the jersey and get suspended for the game without pay". But, y'know... obligatory reminder that it's like 1% of the players that are raging bigots and it's actually the owners and front office guys that are driving the bigot train.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Eric the Mauve posted:

obligatory reminder that it's like 1% of the players that are raging bigots

lol you wish this was true

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

https://twitter.com/jonassiegel/status/1643260202748182534?s=46&t=HQKtcRjDK4S81BLV4tbVnw

Really hope that Keefe sticks with this once O’Reilly is cleared, Tavares needs Marner next to him to exit the zone cleanly and Matthews can produce with just about anybody when/if he’s healthy.

You don't want to see an attempt at making a half-decent third line with say, O'Reilly, Kerfoot and ??? Sure, that leaves Bunting and Jarnkrok as the top 2 LW but it could be worse.

Eric the Mauve posted:

It really should be "or don't wear the jersey and get suspended for the game without pay". But, y'know... obligatory reminder that it's like 1% of the players that are raging bigots and it's actually the owners and front office guys that are driving the bigot train.

1% of the players are vocal and public about it. Many more are happy to ride the train. Though fine, I'm not sure that they're noticeably different from non-hockey players with similar demographics.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Koopa Kid posted:

https://twitter.com/jonassiegel/status/1643260202748182534?s=46&t=HQKtcRjDK4S81BLV4tbVnw

Really hope that Keefe sticks with this once O’Reilly is cleared, Tavares needs Marner next to him to exit the zone cleanly and Matthews can produce with just about anybody when/if he’s healthy.

Nylander appears to be scratched tonight so there's at least one guaranteed change to the top 6.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
https://twitter.com/ScottBilleck/status/1643285652023173125?t=Y0EA-e96CEx41gVMcZ5zmw&s=19

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

So Winnipeg/Edmonton/Calgary had all their players fully participate while Vancouver and (presumably) Toronto did not.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I think Toronto is more difficult to disect because they have never done Pride themed jerseys but they've done other stuff.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

So Winnipeg/Edmonton/Calgary had all their players fully participate while Vancouver and (presumably) Toronto did not.

It just occurred to me that Samsonov is the backup tonight so maybe he wears the hat they’ve made instead cause his mask won’t even be on. Here’s hoping

Hand Knit posted:

Nylander appears to be scratched tonight so there's at least one guaranteed change to the top 6.

I thought he just didn’t do the morning skate? Supposed to be playing with Marner tonight

eXXon posted:

You don't want to see an attempt at making a half-decent third line with say, O'Reilly, Kerfoot and ??? Sure, that leaves Bunting and Jarnkrok as the top 2 LW but it could be worse.

The issue with rolling three deep imo is that the winger depth is so bad, what do we expect ROR to accomplish with this year’s Kerfoot and the literal human embodiment of question marks on his wings? Not only that but Keefe’s minutes distributions often get so skewed when games are tight that I doubt he’d be able to get ROR decent minutes at evens.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Like maybe in an ideal world where Matthews was playing like his old dominant self you could run something like:

Bunting-Matthews-Jarnkrok
Kerfoot-Tavares-Marner
Acciari-O’Reilly-Nylander
ZAR-Kampf-Lafferty

And see if it works, but the team’s running out of games, a couple of those guys haven’t been healthy, and Matthews/Nylander have been spotty lately. And even then you have to trust Keefe to play the top 3 lines something resembling even minutes instead of Marner playing 29 a night for no reason

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Koth posted:

I think Toronto is more difficult to disect because they have never done Pride themed jerseys but they've done other stuff.

Neither have the Oilers, but they had full participation of all the players in everything else that they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

"I've got no problem with anyone who chooses to use the stick tape, but it goes against my personal beliefs."