Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Coming soon to Streaming Service Whatever, it’s The Donkey Show!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

edit meh

kiimo fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 4, 2023

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I have a feeling you could trace “Hollywood is out of ideas” back decades just like people have done with “no one wants to work anymore!” and “the youths are lazy and shiftless”

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Start making high quality 40k movies, get Henry Cavill to help out

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Pron on VHS posted:

You have my axe

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Freaquency posted:

I have a feeling you could trace “Hollywood is out of ideas” back decades just like people have done with “no one wants to work anymore!” and “the youths are lazy and shiftless”

You 100% can do this with movies and TV shows fairly easily.

One famous example that came to mind is John Wayne and Howard Hawks making essentially the exact same movie three times in like a decade (Rio Bravo, El Dorado, and Rio Lobo).

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

*chainsword

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

I think when we are getting Shrek 5, frozen 3, and s live remake of moana less than 7-8 years after release we can say that people will keep paying for the same thing vs try something new, but also they are out of ideas and afraid to take risks because money. Though I don't think it's kind of fair to expect new things from capitalist children's media when kids just want to see the same thing 1000x

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Pron on VHS posted:

P sure he is doing this with Amazon, though I think it's a series rather than a film.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

EmbryoSteve posted:

I think when we are getting Shrek 5, frozen 3, and s live remake of moana less than 7-8 years after release we can say that people will keep paying for the same thing vs try something new, but also they are out of ideas and afraid to take risks because money. Though I don't think it's kind of fair to expect new things from capitalist children's media when kids just want to see the same thing 1000x

We have also been making jokes about unnecessary sequels for like 40 years. It's not anything new.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

swickles posted:

We have also been making jokes about unnecessary sequels for like 40 years. It's not anything new.

Seriously. The 1962 Ben-Hur was a remake, for crying out loud.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Pron on VHS posted:

*chainsword

And my giant laser cannon made from scrap metal and wishes

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Timby posted:

Seriously. The 1962 Ben-Hur was a remake, for crying out loud.

Same with that other Charleston Heston classic The 10 Commandments.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I remember reading Ben Hur as a kid and being completely blown away. Great story. The parts regarding lepers were very sad.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

It’s just such a boring, toothless critique. It’s not like Dreamworks was going to make the Citizen Kane of animated children’s movies but instead decided to greenlight Shrek 5. We just finished a run of several years where Netflix and Hulu etc etc threw millions of dollars at anyone with a half-baked idea to make a movie to fill out their catalogs. Lots of them were bad but they still got out there! There are plenty of people out there telling new and interesting stories now and it’s trivially easy to get them so the whole complaint is just kind of a :shrug: from me.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Love these books. From Moby Dick to 20,000 leagues to Heidi to Kidnapped, I have them all. Would hide behind the couch and read these with a huge pot of cheese puffs

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I think there's a fun dynamic where Hollywood execs are incredibly risk-averse, while Silicon Valley types will throw a billion dollars at Uber for Dogs if they hear a good-enough pitch. Though I guess the latter is easier when you're spending someone else's money (and may be happening less often after SVB went under)

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C41AOFBtRQc

I chuckled heartily and warmly because as a kid I read this

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
And then again every now and then you get a movie where the protagonist has hot dogs as fingers.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

We watched The Menu this weekend. It was 80% entertaining, then seemed like it didn't know how to finish.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

tv and hollywood spent multiple decades just churning out hundreds of westerns and they were often very formulaic. Boomers were inundated with them throughout their childhoods and IMO this is quietly one of the factors that poisoned that generation's minds and outlook, the myth of the free, lawless west, conquered by square-jawed independent libertarian heroes (white men) with guns

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 4, 2023

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Why go see movies when you can walk up a mountain and witness Spring in real time.

https://twitter.com/formerlyfiz/status/1643285351262306306?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Blowjob Overtime posted:

We watched The Menu this weekend. It was 80% entertaining, then seemed like it didn't know how to finish.

Can’t remember if it was here but someone referred to it as the Diet Coke of class politics and I really agreed with that take, kept teasing me with fun stuff but never really followed through. Ray Fiennes is always rad though!

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Well it's currently 4 degrees wind chill, we're about to get anywhere from 2-22" of snow, and one week from now it's supposed to be 70.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Leperflesh posted:

tv and hollywood spent multiple decades just churning out hundreds of westerns and they were often very formulaic. Boomers were inundated with them throughout their childhoods and IMO this is quietly one of the factors that poisoned that generation's minds and outlook, the myth of the free, lawless west, conquered by square-jawed independent libertarian heroes (white men) with guns

The generations before them were exposed to the same thing except in the form of novels

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

FizFashizzle posted:

Why go see movies when you can walk up a mountain and witness Spring in real time.

I know this wasn't targeted, but still loling because the day we watched the movie was the same day as this:

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Once again struggling to find where the gently caress our driveway is (threw a rock through the chute going too wide but didn't break any shear pins):

We are going to go to the North Shore and walk around some mountains hills this weekend after a detour to stay the night in upper Wisconsin and hop over to the UP to buy weed and edibles, but it will involve snowshoes.

e:

wandler20 posted:

Well it's currently 4 degrees wind chill, we're about to get anywhere from 2-22" of snow, and one week from now it's supposed to be 70.

:rubby:

Also our trip north was last minute and will be affected by the aftermath of the same storm you're talking about, sooooooooooo I'll be putting the snow tires BACK on my wife's CX-5 for the trip.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Man all we have around here are levees and they’re not really scenic.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Silly Burrito posted:

Man all we have around here are levees and they’re not really scenic.

I'm sure they get exciting when they break though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwiTs60VoTM

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

The generations before them were exposed to the same thing except in the form of novels

and radio shows, like The Lone Ranger was a radio show first, but yeah also novels

my stepdad's mom had a shelf in her house that was nothing but trash pulp westerns by Louis L'Amour. Dude was like the steven king of westerns, he must have written one a month or some poo poo

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Hot Diggity! posted:

Yeah I have a friend who does zero apps at all and he has lots of issues with tickets for shows because either you're getting charged for delivery or you're hoping they have print at home or will call

This was one of my points when I was bitching about numerous apps bloating my phone to a friend. Thank Christ the bands I listen to rarely sell via Ticketmaster, but the cost of that is they’re all sold on a different app every time, and the same one is almost never used twice so you’re always forced to install an app, complete your purchase, hang onto the app for however long until the show happens, and then finally get rid of it.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
We have talked about Louis L'Amour in this thread before. Last of the Breed is a great book.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I am burneeeeeed out my friends.

Classic American trap of I want vacation but deadlines impede vacations.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I’m still laughing at this pathetic third way poo poo but good on Reese for calling it out

https://twitter.com/Reese10Angel/st...ingawful.com%2F

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I have a bold script I'm working on for Hollywood about a brave internet denizen who SLAMS a famous politician online and it really makes waves!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
https://twitter.com/espn/status/1643315452209414145

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Iowa lost the game but won the Electoral College vote.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I have a bold script I'm working on for Hollywood about a brave internet denizen who SLAMS a famous politician online and it really makes waves!

This just gave me the nightmare image of a Fear and Loathing style movie about Gleen Greenwald.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

She’s right. She’s a drat good player, and it was fun watching her drain 3s from the hot dog stand against South Carolina. Not as fun watching her against LSU though. :) She’s going to make a hell of a pro.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1643325247607693315

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1643326707695329285

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Big fan of the underscore and still-blinking cursor at the end of her stat line