Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Solis posted:

I feel like the last clause on chapter 3 has to break something. Flashback is specifically "if it leaves the stack exile it" while this only exiles if it hits the yard...

Kess, Dissident Mage does the same thing. If I recall correctly, people were saying it would let you get Buyback spells into your hand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Magnetic North posted:

Kess, Dissident Mage does the same thing. If I recall correctly, people were saying it would let you get Buyback spells into your hand?

Thats correct, also spells like Narset's Reversal can take advantage of it.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

how would you guys go about building an uro deck? for mid to high powered tables. I was thinking ramp, fogs, card draw, some interaction and then win with casting a lot of walk the eons and playing lands from my graveyard.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

hey mom its 420 posted:

how would you guys go about building an uro deck? for mid to high powered tables. I was thinking ramp, fogs, card draw, some interaction and then win with casting a lot of walk the eons and playing lands from my graveyard.

Uro's mostly a blank card, but if I was forced to use him, I'd probably want to lean into Greater Good and definitely not fogs and other durdles.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Toshimo posted:

Uro's mostly a blank card, but if I was forced to use him, I'd probably want to lean into Greater Good and definitely not fogs and other durdles.

And then just ramp into a Rude Awakening/Sylvan Awakening or something? UG can only really win through beats, right? And I guess Thoracle/Jace/LabMan.

Danger Diabolik
Feb 9, 2014

hey mom its 420 posted:

Food Chain

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
https://articles.starcitygames.com/magic-the-gathering/march-of-the-machine-commander-deck-reveal-call-for-backup/

Naya decklist out

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Oh, cool. Another +1/+1 counter durdle deck with the slowest manabase known to man, no reprint equity, and the most boring possible new mechanics. How are they so consistently bad at this?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
The only thing more damning than the eternal ineptitude of the EDH precon team at word is that SCG, supposedly an industry leader, still cannot loving make a goddamn deck list view that doesn't suck infinite amounts rear end after all these decades. "Lands/Creatures/Spells"? No mana costs or prices? Literally delete your whole rear end website from embarrassment you goddamn morons.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Toshimo posted:

The only thing more damning than the eternal ineptitude of the EDH precon team at word is that SCG, supposedly an industry leader, still cannot loving make a goddamn deck list view that doesn't suck infinite amounts rear end after all these decades. "Lands/Creatures/Spells"? No mana costs or prices? Literally delete your whole rear end website from embarrassment you goddamn morons.

Lmfao

E:

So many taplands!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
And when I say reprint equity, I don't mean the 700th reprint of Sol Ring.

I mean the resounding absence of Branching Evolution, a popular on-theme, on-color card that has never been reprinted since it came out in Jumpstart.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/march-of-the-machine-commander-decklists

Here's some with prices and with the Knights deck. That one seems to have a number of ok reprints at least (Vanquisher's Banner and Adeline, for example)

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Toshimo posted:

And when I say reprint equity, I don't mean the 700th reprint of Sol Ring.

I mean the resounding absence of Branching Evolution, a popular on-theme, on-color card that has never been reprinted since it came out in Jumpstart.

They didn't even have the decency to put Hardened Scales in there!

E:

I refuse to believe Hero of Bladehold is $15.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Here's some with prices and with the Knights deck. That one seems to have a number of ok reprints at least (Vanquisher's Banner and Adeline, for example)

The fact that I've never heard of either of those cards makes me suspicious of whether they are, in fact, "ok".

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Batterypowered7 posted:

I refuse to believe Hero of Bladehold is $15.

Nerds love bikini armor.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Yikes the Naya deck blows. I like the two new commanders, but that's all I care about from that one.

Naya needs a Lorehold-style makeover. I like Cabaretti from an aesthetic sense and I prefer go-wide to go-tall, but surely there's a different design space for the colors than "make big/many dudes and swing".

The knight deck is better but it's still not very exciting.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 4, 2023

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The knights deck has a lot of good reprints, and the other one has a couple of neat new cards AND they both have fewer than 40 lands, so that's good

But why the gently caress are they putting temple of the false god in precons again, I thought they learned that lesson

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
both of those decks seem very mid

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
The knights deck has less than $10 in playable reprints and half of that is in 5 mana rocks.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Would it kill them to print Fabled Passage down to the sub dollar range

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The solution to too much Commander product was just to make it garbage so nobody will want to buy it anyway.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Lol more horsemanship.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Would it kill them to print Fabled Passage down to the sub dollar range

This but also Prismatic Vista

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Fabled Passage is a Terramorphic Expanse 90% of the time, and theres a few of those at or around 25¢ already.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Then they should print it down to 28 cents. :colbert:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Toshimo posted:

The fact that I've never heard of either of those cards makes me suspicious of whether they are, in fact, "ok".

Adeline saw play in Worlds and is worth $10, that counts as a good reprint in my book. It also scales in commander as its trigger is per opponent.

Toshimo posted:

Fabled Passage is a Terramorphic Expanse 90% of the time, and theres a few of those at or around 25¢ already.

90% of games don't have you play a 4th land?

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 4, 2023

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Adeline saw play in Worlds and is worth $10, that counts as a good reprint in my book. It also scales in commander as its trigger is per opponent.

It's a 20 life format card. It has no practical value in EDH. I guess if you pock up the precon, you could trade/sell it before ut rotates out of standard and the bottom falls out, but that's not exactly a glowing review for precon inclusion.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

90% of games don't have you play a 4th land?

EDH is played with basically the Legacy card pool. Your deck should be doing a lot on turns 1-3 and a dead tapland isn't where you eant to be.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Toshimo posted:

EDH is played with basically the Legacy card pool. Your deck should be doing a lot on turns 1-3 and a dead tapland isn't where you eant to be.

I play Adeline as my commander in my cEDH Just A Worse Winota deck.

E:

Not trying to make a case for her. I just wanted to share.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

:stare: Jesus y'all weren't kidding on the tap lands. Why the hell don't they print out the lairs more often? They're perfectly serviceable cheap and their only drawback is making you return a non lair land back to your hand before end of turn.

Also whoever was asking about other Prosper led deck wins, uhhh Thespian Stage, Dark Depths, grafted exoskeleton, and loxodon warhammer? Also Elbrus, The Binding Blade if you want to pull out something with flying and trample once it has dealt a player damage.

Edit: https://scryfall.com/card/pls/143/trevas-ruins?utm_source=mw_MTGWiki

Just to be clear a tri land that does not come into play tapped that bounces a non lair land back to your hand is trash as far as an inexpensive way to mana fix with 3 or more colors on a deck. Ooook

Jiro fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 4, 2023

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Jiro posted:

:stare: Jesus y'all weren't kidding on the tap lands. Why the hell don't they print out the lairs more often? They're perfectly serviceable cheap and their only drawback is making you return a non lair land back to your hand before end of turn.

Because they are some of the worst, most useless lands ever printed from a wildly unpopular set and people actually recoil visibly when they look at them?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Planeshift was wildly unpopular :confused:

Toshi, bro, you seem extra grumpy today
Maybe log off and touch some grass for a while, maybe have a snickers

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Toshimo posted:

Because they are some of the worst, most useless lands ever printed from a wildly unpopular set and people actually recoil visibly when they look at them?

Lol hell yeah these are the Toshimo takes I love to see

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Silhouette posted:

Planeshift was wildly unpopular :confused:

Yes, almost all of the marquee stuff in the set (gating, land sac kicker, Planeswalker enchantments, lairs) went over with such a wet fart it reminded people of Prophecy, and the good stuff (Chant, Flametongue, Meddling Mage) was absolutely oppressive to casuals (and flametongue just warped standard completely). It was real bad and only the rest of the block being absolutely amaxing carried it.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

Adeline is an inoffensive card that's good in some decks. I can't hate on it too hard when it sees some cEDH play.

The white-black artifact-themed Phyrexian deck got spoiled and it doesn't seem particularly great either.

So far I'm really not impressed. I'm glad most of the new cards are overpriced do-little cards so I don't really feel inclined to buy the deck for them. Commanders tend to be fairly cheap from their respective decks so they'll be easy to pick up. So far the knight deck looks decently playable, but it's still very meh.

I feel like they're holding back so they can make the Commander Masters decks the big hitters of the year.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Framboise posted:

I feel like they're holding back so they can make the Commander Masters decks the big hitters of the year.

Oh absolutely true.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Framboise posted:

Yeah that's more than likely what's going to happen, which makes the LOTR Precon decks coming out even less appealing considering the window of time between both of those sets.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
LotR sells itself, the cards don't have to be good, so I hope they get weird with it.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Shalai and Hallar kinda loving rules as a commander. You can build it as a go-wide, go-tall, combo, or all three, and you're in the best colors to facilitate creature strategies. They are pretty much insta-wins with The Red Terror or Heliod, Sun-Crowned, both of which are tutored up/evolved into fairly easily.

The only thing I wish was different was that it could ping creatures too.

The precon sux but I am really digging the commander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

New Aftermath card:

https://mythicspoiler.com/mom/cards/jolraelvoiceofzhalfir.html