Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

After some thought, I'm less worried that TotK will seem like "glorified DLC" for BotW than I am that BotW will look like an early beta test for TotK. Like, it almost seems like TotK is the game they wanted to make but knew it would take a decade so they released the half-finished version with the map and physics system halfway through development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

TotK is Nintendo's Skyrim.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

After some thought, I'm less worried that TotK will seem like "glorified DLC" for BotW than I am that BotW will look like an early beta test for TotK. Like, it almost seems like TotK is the game they wanted to make but knew it would take a decade so they released the half-finished version with the map and physics system halfway through development.

Yeah I had a similar thought. Like you'll go back to BOTW and be annoyed that you can't use the new abilities.

Then some nerd will release a hacked version of BOTW with all the new TOTK stuff integrated.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Blades will bleed, I hope

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I wonder how much freedom they gained by not requiring TOTK to also run on the WII-U

Conversely, I wonder who will be the first to attempt back-porting TOTK to the Wii U

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

I don't know if it'll go that far, but TotK will definitely complicate things for people new to Zelda, or people looking to return. It might end up being one of those sequels where people suggest skipping the previous game, and that'd be a real shame if that's BotW's legacy in 5-10 years.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

BotW was developed for the WiiU originally, they only started making the Switch version later in development iirc but TotK has only been developed for Switch so it will likely better take advantage of the Switch’s hardware. So I think you’re right in a sense.

Hopefully the six years of development allowed them to optimize the game to run at a consistent frame rate…

Edit: beaten, but I said it more eloquently imo

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

glassyalabolas posted:

I had one of the perma-glitched copies of BotW where the blood moons were way more frequent, so you might be onto something

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

BotW is great, and TotK is going to be great too. it's simple

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
that's legit for the record, me and my roommate at the time were playing side by side and the difference was insane

I had two blood moons happen in the same lynel fight once, fucker just kept getting free health/respawning

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TOTK could be only half as good as BOTW and it would still be a legendary game

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

WarpDogs posted:

It might end up being one of those sequels where people suggest skipping the previous game, and that'd be a real shame if that's BotW's legacy in 5-10 years.

This seems unlikely, but I've also played botw dozens of times. It owuld be cool if totk were so much better than botw that this could even be a consideration.

Also my lite dropped off a table and the right control stick broke. It looks like a huge hassle to fix, and I don't want to pay Nintendo $100. The old rear end normal switch I have doesn't seem to send an HDMI signal anymore due to being abused by a small child or years. Might end up finally buying an OLED for this stupid game. :homebrew:

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
Mario World doesn't invalidate Mario Bros 3 doesn't invalidate Mario Bros 1, even though the improvements and throughlines are self evident

I think BotW will hold up just fine

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Mario World doesn't invalidate Mario Bros 3 doesn't invalidate Mario Bros 1, even though the improvements and throughlines are self evident

I think BotW will hold up just fine

I'm the implication that Mario 3 invalidates Mario 2

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Mario 2 invalidated itself :colbert:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Look, I didnt say they were wrong

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
I know what I said

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Captain Hygiene posted:

Mario 2 invalidated itself :colbert:

wrong

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mario 2 ftmfw

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Augus posted:

Mario 2 ftmfw

that was the noise I made after playing Mario Bros 2 yes

edit: me, the whole time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXvQMfKjuC8

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Lunatic Sledge posted:

that was the noise I made after playing Mario Bros 2 yes

I too screamed “Mario 2 ftmfw” at the top of my lungs after playing Mario 2

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
American Mario 2 and Zelda 2 are eternally valid because they never actually made things that follow them up.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

glassyalabolas posted:

Full of bugs, random crashing, the devs only doing the bare minimum work to patch it into a playable state, selling bug ridden dlc, and expecting fan modders to fix their lovely work for them years after release?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Shiroc posted:

American Mario 2 and Zelda 2 are eternally valid because they never actually made things that follow them up.

oh yeah I'm definitely meaning OG Mario 2, which is butthole torture

Doki Doki Mario and Adventures of Link are both neat in that, like you said, they didn't get direct follow ups (and thus SMB2USA doesn't have the throughlines I mentioned) but they DID get mined for ideas even decades after the fact, like poo poo was just a smidge out of step or ahead of its time

we never got American Mario 2-2 but shyguys and birdo are like, key loving lore at this point

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Japanese Mario 2 is funny because Nintendo never made stuff so intentionally bullshit again and now Mario games have famously innovated in trying to make sure everyone can finish them with stuff like Super Guide.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
gently caress don't get me started, Nintendo's history is like New Testament and Old Testament

the first live action Mario movie was a deliberate attempt to test the brand; they allgedly WANTED it to be weird and super American to see if Mario as a character could take being in someone else's hands. They didn't want it to be lovely, though, and obviously the experiment blew up in a variety of ways but compare that to now and it's insane how much their whole approach to poo poo has reversed

edit: though that might just be a sign of the times, as iirc they were thinking of Mario like Mickey Mouse, another character that used to be a chameleon trickster/hero/mascot/whatever and has since long metastasized into a single, perfectly marketable icon

edit 2 (USA): Roger Rabbit and Mario Bros 2 both 1988 your honor I rest my case

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 4, 2023

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Mister Facetious posted:

Full of bugs, random crashing, the devs only doing the bare minimum work to patch it into a playable state, selling bug ridden dlc, and expecting fan modders to fix their lovely work for them years after release?

As true as all of this is, anyone who claims that Skyrim isn't one of the best games ever made is kidding themself. Players at pretty much any skill level can be having a dope fantasy adventure within five minutes, and you don't need to carefully craft your build since the game just automatically just levels up the playstyle you naturally go with. It's intuitive, accessible, and cool, and there's a reason it single-handedly defined what gaming is to this day.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

As true as all of this is, anyone who claims that Skyrim isn't one of the best games ever made is kidding themself. Players at pretty much any skill level can be having a dope fantasy adventure within five minutes, and you don't need to carefully craft your build since the game just automatically just levels up the playstyle you naturally go with. It's intuitive, accessible, and cool, and there's a reason it single-handedly defined what gaming is to this day.

what if i like good writing and gameplay that isn't dogshit in my rpgs

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Players at pretty much any skill level can be having a dope fantasy adventure within five minutes, and you don't need to carefully craft your build since the game just automatically just levels up the playstyle you naturally go with. It's intuitive, accessible, and cool, and there's a reason it single-handedly defined what gaming is to this day.

this not only describes a whole bunch of games before Skyrim, it even describes other games in Skyrim's own series

it is definitely one of the games ever made

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

imo the only thing skyrim improved on from morrowind and oblivion was the combat and leveling mechanics. and even then it was nothing revolutionary. skyrim is still fun tho

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The gameplay in Skyrim is boring and bad. The gameplay in BotW is excellent and it will be excellent in TotK as well.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Yeah I had a similar thought. Like you'll go back to BOTW and be annoyed that you can't use the new abilities.

lol like I'm going back to botw. why would anyone do that after totk

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Martman posted:

aka Link durability

but by fusing the bodies or organs of random people and animals to yourself you can stave off the effects of weakened durability

Ganon is horrified as a grotesque chimera-Link approaches him, holding multiple copies of the Master Sword in each of his 19 hands/tentacles.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

As true as all of this is, anyone who claims that Skyrim isn't one of the best games ever made is kidding themself.

It's as wide as the ocean and as deep asa puddle.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Mister Facetious posted:

It's as wide as the ocean and as deep asa puddle.

Yeah, I think the reason people get upset about Skyrim is because it had a ton of potential to be an amazing game, but the devs insistence on watering down the formula for broad consumer appeal spoils the whole thing from what it could have been in their imagination.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they can just add botw as dlc to totk. its only like 12 cutscenes and five boss fights

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Lunatic Sledge posted:

this not only describes a whole bunch of games before Skyrim, it even describes other games in Skyrim's own series

it is definitely one of the games ever made

Morrowind's systems are a *lot* more obtuse than Skyrim's, and lots of builds (like magic) are unusable unless you do your homework on how to do it properly. Oblivion is a broken mess of a game where you're not leveling up your playstyle as you play because leveling normally makes you gradually weaker compared to the enemies. I prefer Morrowind on vibes grounds, but claiming that what makes Skyrim great is present in the previous games is demonstrably wrong.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

skyrim is definitively the most accessible rpg ever made but other than that, which isn't nothing, there's nothing about it that elevates the genre imo

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

there's a reason it single-handedly defined what gaming is to this day.

I'm sorry, but I think that's insane. Name one feature of Skyrim which was actually genuinely novel.
Skyrim was, and is, a Good Game, but it contained almost zero actual innovation -- it was fundamentally the same game as Oblivion, only more polished.

And I certainly don't think it's reasonable to claim that it "defined what gaming is" -- if you really stretched you might contend that it bears some of the responsibility for the prevalence of open-world design which is exemplified in the shifts made by major franchises such as Souls, Zelda and Halo away from linear level-based worlds, but I would say they owe more to the Ubisoft open-world lineage, which arguably begun with the original Assassin's Creed back in '07, or Far Cry 2 in '08, predating Skyrim by several years -- none of them contain the degree of granularity or interactivity that Skyrim did; that is something which remains the province of Bethesda's games, and has not had a significant influence on industry-wide design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Lmao skyrim