Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

The_White_Crane posted:

I'm sorry, but I think that's insane. Name one feature of Skyrim which was actually genuinely novel.
Skyrim was, and is, a Good Game, but it contained almost zero actual innovation -- it was fundamentally the same game as Oblivion, only more polished.

And I certainly don't think it's reasonable to claim that it "defined what gaming is" -- if you really stretched you might contend that it bears some of the responsibility for the prevalence of open-world design which is exemplified in the shifts made by major franchises such as Souls, Zelda and Halo away from linear level-based worlds, but I would say they owe more to the Ubisoft open-world lineage, which arguably begun with the original Assassin's Creed back in '07, or Far Cry 2 in '08, predating Skyrim by several years -- none of them contain the degree of granularity or interactivity that Skyrim did; that is something which remains the province of Bethesda's games, and has not had a significant influence on industry-wide design.

I don't think I could name the one defining feature. Instead, I'd point to the combination of open-world RPG design with its pick-up-and-play accessibility.

Nobody talks about anything as like, "the Far Cry 2 of the steampunk genre," but BotW but was "Hyrim."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I've never heard it called that.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

skyrim is definitively the most accessible rpg ever made but other than that, which isn't nothing, there's nothing about it that elevates the genre imo

It's not just not nothing, it's everything. No game with its breadth of scope had ever felt less like homework until BotW came along.

The caveat is GTA, I guess, but Morrowind ended up being the mold for more open worlds than GTA 3 did and they came out around the same time.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

so skyrim is one of the best games of all time in the same way avengers is one of the best movies of all time, got it

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I want to live in your dimension where Morrowind became the standard for open worlds, it sounds way better than the one I live in with quest markers and compasses and enemy red dots and 5/9 Collected on the right side of the screen

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lol remember is Morrowind you could jump across rooftops like pre-flying superman and run around at high speeds across the land or just fly and then in Skyrim they only let you move a little faster than default depending on how much the booger bar is filled and they didn't think to pair this punishment with fun gameplay like climbing or gliding or levitating.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

How many cutscenes did Skyrim have?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
idk i kept getting beheaded in the first cutscene, never got to see the rest

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I've never heard it called that.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

but BotW but was "Hyrim."
no one has ever said this before this post. not even once

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I mean I'm happy to see em still in the wild, but boy it's been a hot minute since I've seen anyone preaching the Skyrim gospel. Obviously I disagree with em but it's nice to see something come up that isn't "lol another skyrim port" lately

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
EDIT: cool double post, brah

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Skyrim's biggest improvement over Oblivion was not having melted candle faces I thought

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

honestly BotW was much more obviously an evolution of the Ubisoft version of open-world stuff, and it basically outshined those games so hard that they rightfully look like poo poo (I mean they already did, but even more in retrospect). It's not very much like Skyrim at all except that you can run around real far and ride a horse

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What did Link's interviewer say to the Hyrule committee after the interview? Hyrim

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
you know what was a really accessible yet historically ambitious open world game

the legend of zelda

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
We've all heard the legends... But where is the proof ya crazy old coot!?

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Martman posted:

no one has ever said this before this post. not even once

Now that I'm thinking about it it might have been Skyrule.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

skyrule was fan stuff from 10+ years ago, but keep trying

https://www.reddit.com/r/zelda/comments/milxq/skyrule/

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

i call it Lelder Scrolls of Zyrim: Obreath of the Morrowild

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I want to live in your dimension where Morrowind became the standard for open worlds, it sounds way better than the one I live in with quest markers and compasses and enemy red dots and 5/9 Collected on the right side of the screen

I mean in terms of map design, large swaths of nature interspersed with towns of varying sizes, with quest givers in towns and quest objectives in nature. GTA 3 is often pointed to as the first modern open world, but the world's themselves look more like Morrowind.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

if you search the forums the first mention of Skyrule or Hyrim (in a non-name sense) are your two posts

my memory is swiss cheese but what i recall is that any mention of Skyrim was in the sense of "finally, a non-Skyrim and non-Witcher 3 take on open world"

but I agree it's silly to understate Skyrim's influence and impact. It was (and is) enormous. Very frequently a huge shift in an industry isn't by something particularly novel but by something that finds the right ratio of foundational ideas, new ideas taken from more experimental attempts, and a nice packaging. and that's Skyrim. it's not the Avengers of games, but it might be the Game of Thrones (TV show) of games

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I do remember hearing "Zelder Scrolls" though.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zelden Ring

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Protocols of the Elder Scrolls of Zonai

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i called botw zelda skyrim and hell i'll do it again

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Martman posted:

Jesus loving Christ lol

Fish Appreciator
Nov 25, 2021
Skyrim is the Breath of the Wild of Ratchet and Clank clones.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The_White_Crane posted:

I'm sorry, but I think that's insane. Name one feature of Skyrim which was actually genuinely novel.

They designed an offensive magic system that gets WORSE than physical combat as the world scales with your level lol

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Martman posted:

new thread title imo

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The_White_Crane posted:

it found a way to make dragons boring

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Augus posted:

it found a way to make dragons boring

But that forced people to mod replace them with Thomas the tank engine and wrestlers, making them cool again. No other game could have done that

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Mister Facetious posted:

They designed an offensive magic system that gets WORSE than physical combat as the world scales with your level lol

This is true of the destruction school but the other magic schools level p well. It's a shame that Pure Battlemage is off the table, but the build diversity is still wild. The character my SO plays is like playing an entirely different game than my character.

(People say "but everyone's just a stealth archer" but that's not really true, everyone minors in stealtharchery while majoring in something else.)

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I like Skyrim and I like Breath of the Wild equally. Checkmate nerds.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

but BotW but was "Hyrim."

lol

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Loucks posted:

This seems unlikely, but I've also played botw dozens of times. It owuld be cool if totk were so much better than botw that this could even be a consideration.

Also my lite dropped off a table and the right control stick broke. It looks like a huge hassle to fix, and I don't want to pay Nintendo $100. The old rear end normal switch I have doesn't seem to send an HDMI signal anymore due to being abused by a small child or years. Might end up finally buying an OLED for this stupid game. :homebrew:

Buy the part and ship it to me, I'll repair it. It does look like a pain to get everything apart but straight forward. I already have the tools and have already done the sticks in my Xbox controllers several times. I like to tinker with electronics but I'm no pro, full disclosure.

E:I don't have the stuff for the USB c port replacement.

But yeah buy the OLED too.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 4, 2023

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

quiggy posted:

new thread title imo

Seconded.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Martman posted:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I've never heard any portmanteau in any kind of frequent use but I did often hear BotW described in other places as "Zelda Skyrim" for a while after it came out.
Often with the Todd Howard meme of "See that mountain? You can climb it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

I like Skyrim and I like Breath of the Wild equally. Checkmate nerds.

You don't like Breath of the Wild enough