Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

VostokProgram posted:

Could it be some quirk of translation or hyperbole? Like in English you might say "so-and-so is 'officially' canceled" even though that's not a real thing

No, I'm a native Russian speaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I think Prigozhin just wants to be the first to declare victory in Bakhmut to dunk on his opponents in the military.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
yeah it's that

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

VostokProgram posted:

Could it be some quirk of translation or hyperbole? Like in English you might say "so-and-so is 'officially' canceled" even though that's not a real thing

the word used, юридический, has a very narrow meaning. it's only law- or court-related: https://www.lingvolive.com/en-us/translate/ru-en/%D1%8E%D1%80%D0%B8%D0%B4%D0%B8%D1%87%D0%B5%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%B9

законный, by comparison, has a dual sense of legally or legitimately/officially https://www.lingvolive.com/en-us/translate/ru-en/%D0%B7%D0%B0%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%BD%D1%8B%D0%B9

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Paracausal posted:

Looks like Russia has continued grinding out progress in Bakhmut. Contested sure, but slowly taking ground, wonder if the 5:1 ratio the Ukranians have been claiming in that area has any solid backing
https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1642852858709016576

I hear the daily attrition is (very roughly) in the 1:1 to 2:1 range now. The days of a 5:1 attrition ratio there have long since passed.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Perhaps he means "legal" in the sense of "fulfilling the contract that gets him paid"

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
"We captured the City Center, you're supposed to give up now. That's how it works in Age of Empires. You're cheating! Stop! We won!"

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
He forgot about the timer.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
It's why Zelensky refused to leave Kyiv in the early days of the war, the main victory objective is there.

New attacks on Odesa were reported last night but no information about damages.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

FuturePastNow posted:

Perhaps he means "legal" in the sense of "fulfilling the contract that gets him paid"

That might actually make sense. Capturing Bakhmut is probably some sort of contractual milestone that was defined as taking a specific % or district. Might not even have defined they must keep it

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Vox Nihili posted:

I hear the daily attrition is (very roughly) in the 1:1 to 2:1 range now. The days of a 5:1 attrition ratio there have long since passed.

Anywhere you'd recommend reading about a more current analysis of this?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Seems extremely unlikely to be near 1:1 from a historical point of view. Assaulting prepared, entrenched positions is usually very costly for the attacker compared to the defender.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Warbadger posted:

Seems extremely unlikely to be near 1:1 from a historical point of view. Assaulting prepared, entrenched positions is usually very costly for the attacker compared to the defender.

Actually...not necessarily. Getting into an urban environment is often unfavorable to an attacker, but once inside, the attacker can often obtain rough parity in terms of casualties. Fights are often at very close ranges, so casualty rates for both attacker and defender can be quite high, and generally higher than fighting in more open terrain.

One thing the attacker does (again, usually) give up in exchange for a more equal attrition ratio is speed. In a clearing operation in urban terrain you can expect to average about 100m of progress per 24 hours. Even that pace is exhausting work: soldiers will easily consume 10,000 calories a day in such environments.

Getting favorable attrition ratios is far from guaranteed, of course, and I don't mean to imply that it's common or can be assumed. But the conventional wisdom that the attacker will always suffer large multiples compared to the defender is not borne out by history.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Finland is in.

The final act of Finland's accession was completed as Finland's foreign minister handed the accession document to Antony Blinken

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Finland has some nerve to expand NATO all the way to Petersburg. The securities have never been as concerned as this. Time to gently caress up Kazakhstan for this shameless display of backyard meddling

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/1643258720393019393?t=KUjMsj1_tln3v61ZQR23bg&s=19

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

okay cinci you got me by surprise, I thought someone had haxored the Finn thread

Now I'm just waiting for permission to have Erdogan dolls in demonstrations again, or if have to wait for Sweden to join first

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 4, 2023

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Moon Slayer posted:

Finland is in.

The final act of Finland's accession was completed as Finland's foreign minister handed the accession document to Antony Blinken

I can finally say it: Haista sinä Erdogan pitkä paska.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Keisari posted:

I can finally say it: Haista sinä Erdogan pitkä paska.

Without any regard for our cousins in the West? Well I'll be.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Well, good luck if Russia ever tries to invade Sweden now, anyway. Kind of hard to do without going through Finland.

(The alternative of a purely amphibious invasion... against a prepared and competent defender... yeah, let's not.)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

This may be off topic but I’m curious, do they just have extra flag poles waiting at nato hq? Or do they install a new one and rearrange the old ones to give it equal spacing?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

This may be off topic but I’m curious, do they just have extra flag poles waiting at nato hq? Or do they install a new one and rearrange the old ones to give it equal spacing?

They no doubt have one or two extra poles at hand especially when they know an enlargement is imminent. Adding an extra pole only means adding it at one of the ends of the current arc (it's not a full circle) and moving the current flags as needed to free up the correct alphabetical spot for the new country.

They installed the new pole yesterday, I think.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

Looks like they added a new pole to one end of the two semi-circles around the NATO flag and slotted Finland into it's alphabetic order next to Estonia.
SHAPE is in Mons, a city of nearly 100,000 people. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be too difficult to find or fab a new flagpole.

Fun fact: the order of flags rotates every week, in French alphabetic order, with some exceptions and modifications through the years. Article here.

e: fb.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Moon Slayer posted:

Finland is in.

Surely that must have been hundreds of red lines crossed! russia will have to sternly assure that there will have to be a response.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Also I’m sure they were ready for this for a while - well before Turkey voted for approval last week. Finland had been verbally approved for like two months by Erdogan and Fidesz, so NATO probably had their "pole foundation installer guy" on quick dial.

It’d be kind of interesting to see when they installed the base of the pole. Like do they already have a spare base ready for Sweden, and/or is it just general policy to leave some spots ready for new flags to go in?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Ah, is that why everyone has to agree? Adding a new flagpole is serious business.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Zat posted:

They no doubt have one or two extra poles at hand

but enough about East European janitors

Ynglaur posted:

Actually...not necessarily. Getting into an urban environment is often unfavorable to an attacker, but once inside, the attacker can often obtain rough parity in terms of casualties. Fights are often at very close ranges, so casualty rates for both attacker and defender can be quite high, and generally higher than fighting in more open terrain.

One thing the attacker does (again, usually) give up in exchange for a more equal attrition ratio is speed. In a clearing operation in urban terrain you can expect to average about 100m of progress per 24 hours. Even that pace is exhausting work: soldiers will easily consume 10,000 calories a day in such environments.

Getting favorable attrition ratios is far from guaranteed, of course, and I don't mean to imply that it's common or can be assumed. But the conventional wisdom that the attacker will always suffer large multiples compared to the defender is not borne out by history.

For another angle, attacker needs a high density of troops in a densely built area because they need to cover so many keyhole positions with short and narrow lines of fire, because buildings require more troops to clear (and there are lots of buildings in a city) than a field or forest, and because tactical reserves need to remain closer to the lead units to react quickly enough to ambushes or counterattacks. More scattered forces tend to become separated and ineffective in urban operations. Higher density of forces comes with the cost of more casualties to indirect fire and ambushes, though. OTOH if the attacker scales back their infantry actions and both sides rely more on artillery and snipers, then casualty rates will naturally start approaching 1:1. Especially if the side with more experienced troops doesn't have enough shells to whack at every mole popping up in the area. So it could also be a sign of the intensity changing.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Kavros posted:

Surely that must have been hundreds of red lines crossed! russia will have to sternly assure that there will have to be a response.

Well, they might have put in the coordinates of Helsinki into two instead of one ballistic missiles or something. Maybe also decorate the border by building a dozen more guard towers that will not be manned until Ukraine is finished up.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Zat posted:

They no doubt have one or two extra poles at hand especially when they know an enlargement is imminent. Adding an extra pole only means adding it at one of the ends of the current arc (it's not a full circle) and moving the current flags as needed to free up the correct alphabetical spot for the new country.

They installed the new pole yesterday, I think.

madeintaipei posted:

Looks like they added a new pole to one end of the two semi-circles around the NATO flag and slotted Finland into it's alphabetic order next to Estonia.
SHAPE is in Mons, a city of nearly 100,000 people. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be too difficult to find or fab a new flagpole.

Fun fact: the order of flags rotates every week, in French alphabetic order, with some exceptions and modifications through the years. Article here.

e: fb.

Oh yeah, duh, that would make sense they only need to add the pole to the end. I was picturing something way more complicated with them tearing up all the poles in-between the two ends so that they can both fit in an extra pole and space them equally. (The alternative in my head being that they just had extra poles at the end not in use.)

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
To any Goon Finns, congratulations on joining NATO. I unironically hope this means your country remains at peace for many years to come.

gently caress Putin.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Kavros posted:

The usual vague threats and foot stomping.

Russia called it a “historical mistake” and said Finland has forced it to take “counter-measures”. The ministry of foreign affairs issued this statement:

quote:

This is now a thing of the past. Finland has become one of the small members of (NATO) that doesn't decide anything, losing its special voice in international affairs. We are sure that history will judge this hasty step.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/finland-set-join-nato-historic-shift-while-sweden-waits-2023-04-04/

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1643323819698913285?t=-McuYCwHbsbIqnk0Z_nxPQ&s=19

Specifically:

quote:

The $2.1 billion, which is being provided under the Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative, a funding program led by the Department of Defense, will be used to purchase missiles for NASAMS air defense systems. The money will also be used to purchase antiaircraft ammunition, mobile laser-guided rocket systems, fuel tankers and other equipment, according to the Pentagon.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Rappaport posted:

Without any regard for our cousins in the West? Well I'll be.

Ah, right. It would be very on-brand for Erdogan to hold the Swedish application hostage because someone told him to sniff poo on the internet.

Ynglaur posted:

To any Goon Finns, congratulations on joining NATO. I unironically hope this means your country remains at peace for many years to come.

gently caress Putin.

Thank you. It feels absolutely surreal to watch that flag with the others. It's hard to grasp and truly comprehend (on an emotional level) how monumental change this is. There also hasn't been much fanfare here, almost everyone just seems to be quietly relieved.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Official defense.gov release of the aid package posted above:

https://www.defense.gov/News/Releases/Release/Article/3350958/biden-administration-announces-additional-security-assistance-for-ukraine/

Presidential Drawdown aka quick section:

quote:

Additional munitions for Patriot air defense systems;
Additional ammunition for High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems (HIMARS);
155mm and 105mm artillery rounds;
120mm mortar rounds;
120mm and 105mm tank ammunition;
25mm ammunition;
Tube-Launched, Optically-Tracked, Wire-Guided (TOW) missiles;
Approximately 400 grenade launchers and 200,000 rounds of ammunition;
11 tactical vehicles to recover equipment;
61 heavy fuel tankers;
10 trucks and 10 trailers to transport heavy equipment;
Testing and diagnostic equipment to support vehicle maintenance and repair;
Spare parts and other field equipment.

USAI aka slow section:

quote:

Additional munitions for National Advanced Surface-to-Air Missile Systems (NASAMS);
Nine counter-Unmanned Aerial System 30mm gun trucks;
10 mobile c-UAS laser-guided rocket systems;
Three air surveillance radars;
30mm and 23mm anti-aircraft ammunition;
130mm and 122mm artillery rounds;
122mm GRAD rockets;
Rocket launchers and ammunition;
120mm and 81mm mortar systems;
120mm, 81mm, and 60mm mortar rounds;
120mm tank ammunition;
Javelin anti-armor systems;
Anti-armor rockets;
Precision aerial munitions;
Approximately 3,600 small arms and more than 23,000,000 rounds of small arms ammunition;
Seven tactical vehicles to recover equipment;
Eight heavy fuel tankers and 105 fuel trailers;
Armored bridging systems;
Four logistics support vehicles;
Trucks and ten trailers to transport heavy equipment;
Secure communications equipment;
SATCOM terminals and services;
Funding for training, maintenance, and sustainment.

Is the Patriot in Ukraine already active?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

In other news, statements before the US-EU energy council:
https://www.state.gov/secretary-ant...s-to-the-press/

Some harsh remarks towards China

quote:

We have been discussing with Secretary Blinken about the role of China on supporting Russia’s blatant violations of the United Nations Charter. There is a clear expectation from a permanent member of the Security Council to stand up in defense of international rules-based order. And China has a moral duty to contribute to a fair peace. They cannot be siding with the aggressor. They cannot be militarily supporting the aggression.

This is our message to China, from today’s meeting and from all the European Union’s visits going to Beijing. Today, President von der Leyen will be in Beijing with French President Macron, Spanish Prime Minister Sánchez was there last week, and I will travel next week too. So, as you see, a lot of Europeans going to China.

And some further cooperation:

quote:

Josep and I also discussed the United States and Europe’s unprecedented cooperation on energy security, and indeed, we’ll take that up in more detail in a few minutes. We share a commitment to preventing a climate catastrophe, accelerating the global clean energy transition, building resilient, secure, and diversified supply chains for renewable energy – and doing it in a way that creates good-paying jobs and lowers costs for people on both sides of the Atlantic.

I think there have been tensions in the EU over a trade war from Biden's BBB plan - is that matter settled yet?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

WarpedLichen posted:

Is the Patriot in Ukraine already active?

We don't know. It was in the coming weeks as of the 21st of March.

Edit: Finished reading the new aid package, fuel and SATCOM stuff seems to be standing out a little bit. Also, how much ammo 23 million rounds are, really - how quickly is infantry expected to be spending normal bullets?

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 4, 2023

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

We don't know. It was in the coming weeks as of the 21st of March.

Edit: Finished reading the new aid package, fuel and SATCOM stuff seems to be standing out a little bit. Also, how much ammo 23 million rounds are, really - how quickly is infantry expected to be spending normal bullets?

The amount of ammo an entire nation needs for a few months to conduct a massive counter attack must be a fun job to figure out

If I were them I'd expect to get bogged down in city fights in several new locations, while also still holding the line everywhere else. So millions of small-arms ammo for a month or 2 does not surprise me.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Is there any news about Ukraine switching their service rifles to NATO 5.56.mm variants or are they still using Soviet/Russian 5.45mm and these "millions of rounds" are being procured through some other means?

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 4, 2023

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

How much airspace can a single Patriot battery cover? Can it like, protect Kyiv? Or are we talking a much smaller area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

How much airspace can a single Patriot battery cover? Can it like, protect Kyiv? Or are we talking a much smaller area?

Depends on the target and what version of Patriot, I don't think there's any for sure known numbers (stated numbers are almost always not accurate for obvious reasons) but I believe that yes it should cover a city sized area at least.