Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

I think they all have their own targets of derision. Klingons and Cardassians would definitely call us smooth-heads, but Cardassians would also call us skinny-necks or something akin.

"Pencil neck" is an insult due for a comeback

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aliens are so xenophobic -_-

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Brawnfire posted:

Oh, is that his deal? I'm still behind on that, I got up to where it took a break.

That explains his gross color, but he's got like no forehead!

Yes! In the last couple episodes of the season you learn that he is basically a failed gebetic engineering experiment and has DNA from a bunch of different species. Also, the various DNA segments can be preferentially expressed in some circumstances so he can become as strong as a Klingon, logical as a Vulcan, etc.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Vulcans don't have a genetic predisposition towards logic

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

zoux posted:

The discovery of DNA was probably a net good but it was one of the worst things to happen to fiction writing.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

zoux posted:

I can express my genes to become as logical as a Vulcan!

*goes on a multiple-day murder and assault spree*

*meditates to equanimity over the course of a thousand years under the tutelage of a guru*

There! Now, where were we? Ah yeah; B-10. Miss? Where the gently caress is your battleship?!?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

The discovery of DNA was probably a net good but it was one of the worst things to happen to fiction writing.

Sorry this is contradicted by the existence of the fictional novel Jurassic Park, the finest accomplishment in American letters

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

If you have Vulcan DNA, be aware that it's possible to randomly get the single-bit mutation that turns you Romulan. So if you suddenly find that instead of being logical you're all sneaky and secretive and backstabby, and something as simple as ordering lunch becomes a wheels-within-wheels conspiracy, just go to sickbay. Doc'll wave a light over you and put your DNA back to normal.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

20 CC's of tetraSuraklene, stat!

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Kibayasu posted:

I always hated “Pinkskin” because it is one of the most Hollywood insults for an alien to have imaginable because uhhhh have you see most of the planet? Hollywood hasn’t

Maybe to Andorians every human skintone looks pink? Bet they've got five million words for blue, though.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

zoux posted:

Yet somehow the Mintakans have similar ears and eyebrows and "logical" minds to Vulcans, so there appears to be some gene that expresses itself through a "logical" mind and certain physical traits.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Fighting Trousers posted:

Maybe to Andorians every human skintone looks pink? Bet they've got five million words for blue, though.

Also I dare you to say anything on TV other than "pinkskin."

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
humon always hit right, expressed disdain without resorting to weird analogies

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hewmon is solid. I will also accept hunam, but perhaps that requires a certain tone that is hard to get in a dramatic actor.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

If you have Vulcan DNA, be aware that it's possible to randomly get the single-bit mutation that turns you Romulan. So if you suddenly find that instead of being logical you're all sneaky and secretive and backstabby, and something as simple as ordering lunch becomes a wheels-within-wheels conspiracy, just go to sickbay. Doc'll wave a light over you and put your DNA back to normal.

It only takes a single letter mutation to go from path of logic to pathologic

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tunicate posted:

Looks like 5 letters to me.

Edit: gently caress

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Was there ever a joke or something in DS9 about a Vedek checking the Pagh of a Ferengi?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Tunicate posted:

And a few invasive surgeries and a kickass beat to go technologic

technologic

technologic

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

thotsky posted:

Was there ever a joke or something in DS9 about a Vedek checking the Pagh of a Ferengi?

Your pah is....erect?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it, trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it, snap it, work it, quick erase it
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it, load it, check it, quick rewrite it
Plug it, play it, burn it, rip it, rip it

picard edit

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

zoux posted:

They do have funky psychic powers that may be part of the whole reason they need logic to control themselves.

Romulans seem to lack the funky psychic powers but also seem much more functional without the constraints of Vulcan logic.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

zoux posted:

Do you think other species call us smoothheads

The Cardassian spy in Voyager makes a joke about how humans have such weak foreheads.

I'm an absolute sucker for that kind of "aliens laugh at humans for being weird" humour. Like in Doctor Who where there's a male alien about to give birth. He's all confused when the Doctor's companions ask if he's expecting a boy or a girl, because on his planet men give birth to the boys, and women give birth to girls. And when they explain that on Earth women give birth to both boys and girls, he's all "nah, that sounds silly, you're just winding me up". :allears:

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 4, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Romulans seem to lack the funky psychic powers but also seem much more functional without the constraints of Vulcan logic.

My impression is that physiologically they are likely telepathic like Vulcans, but it takes a lot of mental discipline to use those skills and it wasn't something that was passed on down the Romulan history.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i don't get why everyone acts like changelings are the most devious lifeform and thing to worry about but they have psychics running around all over the place and hardly anyone concerned in the least

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't get why every changeling except Odo and Laas can do humanoid faces of any species but keep their weird smooth faces when in their base changeling mode

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Khanstant posted:

i don't get why everyone acts like changelings are the most devious lifeform and thing to worry about but they have psychics running around all over the place and hardly anyone concerned in the least

It's because there's basically no telepath in the galaxy who won't tell you they are a telepath and announce to everyone around you what you're thinking.

zoux posted:

I don't get why every changeling except Odo and Laas can do humanoid faces of any species but keep their weird smooth faces when in their base changeling mode

Because they're bigots fam. They think "solids" are inferior life forms and so when they have to be in some humanoid shape they prefer to be in one that doesn't look like the others.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah Laas and the female changeling are huge assholes lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If I were a changeling, I'd just be a puddle with lips as my default form, kind of like Yaphit.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Since psychic poo poo is an actual physical phenomenon they probably know the parameters pretty well. Leaving aside godlike energy beings, we mostly see Betazeds (who can communicate telepathically but don't seem to be able to dominate you or do advanced Professor X poo poo) and Vulcans (who require physical contact).

It would definitely make sense if some conspiracy loon had developed a whole theory around a hidden telepathic super-race who were actually running the Federation, but then the next show runner would make them correct. :v:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There are those brain guys in The Cage

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I am suspicious of all the new "changelings." Some psycho klingon surgeon/torturer might just be refleshing humans and klingons up to look like other people and they work shifts to act like changelings to freak people out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I would imaging that telepathy counter espionage is less about keeping them from getting the info and more about them not being able to use it for anything along with seeding misinformation to the point where the telephaths don't have any better than a 50/50 chance that what they overheard was correct.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Nessus posted:

Since psychic poo poo is an actual physical phenomenon they probably know the parameters pretty well. Leaving aside godlike energy beings, we mostly see Betazeds (who can communicate telepathically but don't seem to be able to dominate you or do advanced Professor X poo poo) and Vulcans (who require physical contact).

It would definitely make sense if some conspiracy loon had developed a whole theory around a hidden telepathic super-race who were actually running the Federation, but then the next show runner would make them correct. :v:

There seems to be a running theme in TNG that the mind is more closely related to time and space than we realize. The first time the Traveler shows up, he takes them to a part of the universe where everyone's thoughts start to manifest themselves into reality. Then later when Beverly is trapped in the warp bubble the Traveler explains to Wesley that his calculations arent the impprtant part, they just help him focus his power. The real kicker is in "All Good Things" when Q's whole lesson to Picard was to get him to briefly realize the paradox and in that moment his mind was open to new possibilities and that THAT was the real final frontier. This is coming from a God like being who can alter reality on a whim.

Either mind powers are the ultimate force in the Star Trek universe, or they're living in a simulated reality.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
The thing that strikes me as weird about the wormhole aliens is that while the Prophets are all utterly up their own asses about ~linear beings~ and uttering lines so full of ominous portent even the main characters struggle to comprehend them... the Pah Wraiths (who also came from the wormhole, right?) just seem like any other people, except consumed with a weird blood feud against the Prophets.

Like, shouldn't the Pah Wraiths also be ~non-linear beings~?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The Pah Wraiths are just the aliens who were driven insane by everyone elses Yoda routine

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The thing that strikes me as weird about the wormhole aliens is that while the Prophets are all utterly up their own asses about ~linear beings~ and uttering lines so full of ominous portent even the main characters struggle to comprehend them... the Pah Wraiths (who also came from the wormhole, right?) just seem like any other people, except consumed with a weird blood feud against the Prophets.

Like, shouldn't the Pah Wraiths also be ~non-linear beings~?

Yea but they were kicked out of the wormhole so they're linear now.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Brawnfire posted:

Oh, is that his deal? I'm still behind on that, I got up to where it took a break.

That explains his gross color, but he's got like no forehead!

Twenty four Federation member species right here,

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mylan posted:

There seems to be a running theme in TNG that the mind is more closely related to time and space than we realize. The first time the Traveler shows up, he takes them to a part of the universe where everyone's thoughts start to manifest themselves into reality. Then later when Beverly is trapped in the warp bubble the Traveler explains to Wesley that his calculations arent the impprtant part, they just help him focus his power. The real kicker is in "All Good Things" when Q's whole lesson to Picard was to get him to briefly realize the paradox and in that moment his mind was open to new possibilities and that THAT was the real final frontier. This is coming from a God like being who can alter reality on a whim.

Either mind powers are the ultimate force in the Star Trek universe, or they're living in a simulated reality.
This is probably legacy from the 1960s (and I think its first Trek appearance was the Organians getting out from their peaceful boring planet and mind-blasting both federale and klank alike), but the former does seem to be in the setting's DNA. The second would be an alternative perspective, and it might also vaguely explain individuals like the Q or the El Aurians, if they were in some sense partially outside of the simulated reality.

That said, it is probably more along the lines of Q (and some other partially ascended entities) being fully or partly exterior to the simulated universe and able to act freely, rather than just "Q is the guy running Dwarf Fortress 1.2 on his future PC."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, brainwaves are a measurable, electrical, phenomenon. So, I don't really find any cognitive dissonance in that. Sure, it's a leap to say some other species is able to not only defect those waves at a distance AND interpret a completely alien mind, but we don't have to look at it as magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
In my opinion there's nothing to suggest it is a simulated universe, but clearly the common perception of the reality is severely limited. You've got extra-dimensional realms, parallell timelines, beings outside of time and omnipotent godbeings.