Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

gently caress this stupid planet.

Buddy,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Whale Economy doesn't just refer to the top quintiles of consumers driving profits; it also describes equity valuations

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1643314462391250944

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

meanwhile in canada, progress!!!

https://twitter.com/hrd_canada/status/1641592390996688896

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

sault st marie is gonna be the next child trafficking hub of the decade

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

My wife needs to find a new job by summer most likely. Her company is just jerking her around and she’s tired of it and will do better financially and gain a better title elsewhere. I hope the job market remains strong for professionals in her field, they weren’t really targeted by the tech layoffs and her employer is hiring desperately still and can’t find people.

They told her she’s not getting promoted and she needs to find a new assignment but there’s no remote assignments or in our state currently so we have to move to the Midwest. gently caress that.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

webcams for christ posted:

Whale Economy doesn't just refer to the top quintiles of consumers driving profits; it also describes equity valuations

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1643314462391250944

Consolidation

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

drat, if only the democrats didn't also support this and, as always, do nothing but feign outrage while their actions support all things republicans do (actions which are non-existent for 50 years and counting, except for the actions that make their donors richer)

what a shame. thoughts and prayers. and hey you know what:

vote

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Tempora Mutantur posted:

drat, if only the democrats didn't also support this and, as always, do nothing but feign outrage while their actions support all things republicans do (actions which are non-existent for 50 years and counting, except for the actions that make their donors richer)

what a shame. thoughts and prayers. and hey you know what:

vote

Im sure the democrats will work very hard for consolations and win us some big wins like expanded COBRA continuation coverage for child laborer job loss events

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

democrats raise child labor to 14.5 in a major victory for progressives

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

Paul was a victim of what we would nowadays refer to as "fake news" and "an op"

Reading PKD's VALIS rn and this is making me have Thoughts.

Edit: spelling, even though my dickass already got roasted

SlimGoodbody has issued a correction as of 20:46 on Apr 4, 2023

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

SlimGoodbody posted:

Reading PKDA's VALIS rn and this is making me have Thoughts.

I reflexively read this as Phillip K. Dickass

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

euphronius posted:

democrats raise child labor to 14.5 in a major victory for progressives

They did however have to promise to lower the age of the draft to the same age as a concession.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

only thing democrats will be doing about this is reminding us that sex work is work.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

people on the orange website are finally taking notice that their "who's hiring" posts are at all time lows while "who wants to be hired" is at all time highs

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

lil poopendorfer posted:

Do you have a source for this? My understanding was that an advantage of real estate investments was the ability to leverage your money further than with other types of investments.

Why tie up $4 million in one building when you can put 25%/$1million down on four buildings at 4%, that kinda thing

The source is my clients' mail in which they receive all-cash offers, but that's not for larger properties.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
whoops, our selfish and short sighted covid policies have killed or crippled a substantial portion of the labor force! quick, round up the urchins and set them to work!

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Orvin posted:

I think some of it may be the buyers starting to look at the underlying numbers. If rent can’t always go up, and the building maybe isn’t always at 100% occupancy anymore, maybe there is some actual risk in buying an apartment building?

It’s like everything else with the raising interest rates, do you park it in a building that is going to maybe have some underlying risk, or do you start parking it in treasuries (or something else) that is showing some sort actual return again? When money was free, there was no other option. Now there is starting to be options again.

I was tracking cash flow throughout the pandemic & the bottom lines were still positive, even with eviction forbearance & other tenant protections.

There's a reason landlording is popular among immigrants; it's a fairly safe & lucrative investment.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Noblesse Obliged posted:

only thing democrats will be doing about this is reminding us that sex work is work.

[Richard Nixon]: Jesus christ

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Noblesse Obliged posted:

:chanpop:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Noblesse Obliged posted:

woah

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Noblesse Obliged posted:

:drat:

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Noblesse Obliged posted:

god drat

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Noblesse Obliged posted:

:sbahj:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Noblesse Obliged posted:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Noblesse Obliged posted:

:thurman:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Noblesse Obliged posted:

An open letter welcoming back Roman Polanski.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Noblesse Obliged posted:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

uber_stoat posted:

whoops, our selfish and short sighted covid policies have killed or crippled a substantial portion of the labor force! quick, round up the urchins and set them to work!

Also: our wage isn't even profitable to those who would otherwise want to sell their labor. Better lift every restriction possible so people are forced to accept these unprofitable wages. This is a free market.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Noblesse Obliged posted:

:shittypop:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I like how even a slight tightening of the labor market is enough to put child labor back on the table

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
no. one wants to work anymore besides children

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Will it even help much? A lot of jobs they need require skills kids aren't going to have, they're gonna struggle to get to work unless it is compatible with their parents commute/is in transit or walking distance, and their productivity is going to be lower than the adults they replaced. Not to mention that you immediately start having less highschool and college grads (which I'm sure has been up and coming for a while now) because they're already working.

And also a lot of them are still going to be trying to go to school if at all possible which will compete with available work hours. There are so many tugs of war here that even if they win this small penny pinch it just means a jillion more things blow up in their face instead.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

no of course it won’t help much. it’s all negatives.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

thechosenone posted:

Will it even help much? A lot of jobs they need require skills kids aren't going to have, they're gonna struggle to get to work unless it is compatible with their parents commute/is in transit or walking distance, and their productivity is going to be lower than the adults they replaced. Not to mention that you immediately start having less highschool and college grads (which I'm sure has been up and coming for a while now) because they're already working.

And also a lot of them are still going to be trying to go to school if at all possible which will compete with available work hours. There are so many tugs of war here that even if they win this small penny pinch it just means a jillion more things blow up in their face instead.

You need those small child hands to strip the copper out of the hard to reach spaces in the wall.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

no of course it won’t help much. it’s all negatives.

the point is to help keep wages down, which is awesome if you're a rich psychopath. negative otherwise yea

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

adding children to the the reserve labor pool has pretty obvious benefits to Capital. also, if child labor was a self-defeating practice, we wouldn't have had to make it illegal

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

silentsnack posted:

the point is to help keep wages down,

it won’t do that either.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Noblesse Obliged posted:

lmao

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Nodelphi posted:

They did however have to promise to lower the age of the draft to the same age as a concession.

If you're old enough to work in the salt mines, you're old enough to fight in the Venezuelan occupation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

webcams for christ posted:

adding children to the the reserve labor pool has pretty obvious benefits to Capital. also, if child labor was a self-defeating practice, we wouldn't have had to make it illegal

I'd argue that if it wasn't we'd never have illegalized it in the first place. It's a bad deal because it burns the nation down, weakening capital because they have no skilled workers to build/maintain the infrastructure that made them so strong in the wake of the corpses of the colonial empires.

Banning child labor is just good business sense for any nation state, which is why it's stupid for them to legalize it because they aren't going to have more money, they're going to have less. Given the poor almost never have more than absolutely necessary to extract wealth from them to begin with, this means child labor destroying capital will actually reduce inequality in exchange for increasing misery, both of which are bad for the rich because they need to be completely unassailable to run poo poo.

Edit: Also does child labor usually mean one has less time today socialize, and thus time to raise children when they are older? Oh wait also don't a lot of kids already do unpaid/unreported labor, meaning this well is even shallower than they probably realize?

thechosenone has issued a correction as of 23:24 on Apr 4, 2023