Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
How are you posting in the first 4 weeks of bootcamp??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
If you havent already, its not a bad idea to go to your chain of command and let them know that you dont feel fulfilled qith what you do, or asking for guidance on your career path

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

SRQ posted:

Well this sucks. I feel there’s no opportunities to play to my strengths. Pass/fail fitness test soon. If I get put in fat camp as a five foot five 114 pound tiny boy I’m releasing.

Anybody know the consequences to release? The bill surely comes due.

Are you at CFLRS? TRP is a great opportunity and you shouldn’t look at it as “fat camp”. Do your best on the test, and if it isn’t enough yet you’ll get help to hit it again in a few weeks after getting fed well and doing a whole bunch of PT.

Once you’re finished of BMQ the short time you’d spend training there will amount to a resoundingly small percentage of your career, and you’ll be healthier for it.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I was sick for one of my first PT tests, PSP/training cadre are dicks, and I didn't know my rights. I failed the test, did remedial, passed the next one, and all throughout that process nobody cared. Some people made noise like they did, but they really didn't. Il

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Passed the test :)

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

how are you posting???

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

My Spirit Otter posted:

how are you posting???

Some courses are more chill now with the phone stuff. I think we had ours available after week 1.

That being said we were also confined to base for about 3 months.

Gainsboro
Feb 28, 2023

Twenty Year Lurker
They didn't bother taking away anyone's phones when I did it in 2007, but then again the smartest device anyone had was a Blackberry. Wonder what year that changed.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Gainsboro posted:

They didn't bother taking away anyone's phones when I did it in 2007, but then again the smartest device anyone had was a Blackberry. Wonder what year that changed.

They took ours in 08, which is why i was wondering. I guess our course staff was either strict or invested in phone cards

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

My Spirit Otter posted:

They took ours in 08, which is why i was wondering. I guess our course staff was either strict or invested in phone cards

Mine in 08 too.

Gainsboro
Feb 28, 2023

Twenty Year Lurker
Obviously when they announce changes to the housing allowance, "We're saving the government $30 million a year!" is what the troops wanted to hear.

I am no longer accusing our GOFOs of being oblivious, this has to be malicious.

t. posted to Ottawa and still not getting poo poo.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Capitalism! Yaaaaaaay!

CAF poo poo like that always makes me scratch my head, like the IDERD presentation that has shite participation numbers and an empty crowd because reasons.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Guess im moving out of the q's. Rent goes up when you get a payraise, but does the quality ever go up?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
It almost seems like a ploy to make people vacate the RHUs/PMQs.

Gainsboro posted:

Obviously when they announce changes to the housing allowance, "We're saving the government $30 million a year!" is what the troops wanted to hear.

Maybe the headline "housing allowance" will help drive recruitmenpfffttthaahahahaha

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

It almost seems like a ploy to make people vacate the RHUs/PMQs.

Maybe the headline "housing allowance" will help drive recruitmenpfffttthaahahahaha

"If people leave the PMQs we can re-evaluate how much land we need and cut our expenses in land taxes even further!"

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Jobbo_Fett posted:

"If people leave the PMQs we can re-evaluate how much land we need and cut our expenses in land taxes even further!"

*by selling said land to developers at a fraction of its listed value so we can tout the jobs opportunities for local construction workers (temporary, foreign) and subsequent utilization by various and sundry commercial entities (also temporary, foreign) enticed there by massive tax cuts.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fearless posted:

*by selling said land to developers at a fraction of its listed value so we can tout the jobs opportunities for local construction workers (temporary, foreign) and subsequent utilization by various and sundry commercial entities (also temporary, foreign) enticed there by massive tax cuts.

Just make sure to greenlight an enemy foreign nation's construction permit and give them a really good view of the airport...

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Just make sure to greenlight an enemy foreign nation's construction permit and give them a really good view of the airport...

This is why I'm entirely unsuited for politics. I lack the attention to the little things.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Hey, I recently picked up a Canadian milsurp rifle. Can you guys tell me more about it?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

why are you posting pics of our service rifle?

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

My Spirit Otter posted:

why are you posting pics of our service rifle?

yeah someone is gonna need that soon probably.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Still better equipped than Russia.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

no, just a slightly lower level of graft

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

McNally posted:

Hey, I recently picked up a Canadian milsurp rifle. Can you guys tell me more about it?

Nice, a Snider-Enfield! I worked with these at a local historic site and my reserve regiment has at least three in the vault for the museum.

I'm sadly more acquainted with their operation than the marking stamps.

From what I can recall the two stars next to the breach indicate a Mk II designation. The DC on the stock indicates Dominion of Canada, which you probably already knew.

After doing some light research, it seems like the 'E,' crown, and '29' on the butt-plate are likely the company and battalion number for the Canadian militia unit they belonged to.

e: Looks like pretty much all the unit markings are mixed, but going by the one on the tang of the butt-plate:

"29th “Waterloo Battalion of Infantry” authorized. Headquarters at Berlin (now Kitchener) and companies at New Hamburg, Galt, Waterloo, Crosshill, Berlin and Ayr, September 14th, 1866"

The big 82 on the butt-plate is probably just a simple stand-number, which is how we used those at Fort Henry.

Not sure about the rest, but at least some are just the Enfield armoury markings.

Serial numbers are usually on the inside of the breechblock.

Beautiful rifle!

ee: Found a wonderful little forum of Canadian Snider-Enfield enthusiasts: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/britishmilitariaforums/database-of-canadian-issue-snider-enfields-t15584.html

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 28, 2023

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Generation Internet posted:

Nice, a Snider-Enfield! I worked with these at a local historic site and my reserve regiment has at least three in the vault for the museum.

I'm sadly more acquainted with their operation than the marking stamps.

From what I can recall the two stars next to the breach indicate a Mk II designation. The DC on the stock indicates Dominion of Canada, which you probably already knew.

After doing some light research, it seems like the 'E,' crown, and '29' on the butt-plate are likely the company and battalion number for the Canadian militia unit they belonged to.

e: Looks like pretty much all the unit markings are mixed, but going by the one on the tang of the butt-plate:

"29th “Waterloo Battalion of Infantry” authorized. Headquarters at Berlin (now Kitchener) and companies at New Hamburg, Galt, Waterloo, Crosshill, Berlin and Ayr, September 14th, 1866"

The big 82 on the butt-plate is probably just a simple stand-number, which is how we used those at Fort Henry.

Not sure about the rest, but at least some are just the Enfield armoury markings.

Serial numbers are usually on the inside of the breechblock.

Beautiful rifle!

ee: Found a wonderful little forum of Canadian Snider-Enfield enthusiasts: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/britishmilitariaforums/database-of-canadian-issue-snider-enfields-t15584.html

E (crown) 29 is actually an Enfield inspection stamp (which is why a lot of the parts have slightly different stamps - when it was converted in Birmingham they just used whatever parts when they put it back together). I think the big 82 is the unit number. A fine Canadian over in TFR thinks this was carried by "the 82nd Abegweit Light Infantry Regiment, a militia unit in Prince Edward Island and a precursor to the modern Prince Edward Island Regiment of the Canadian army reserve. If this is indeed the case, there is probably a 75% chance that this rifle was carried at some point by someone with the last name MacDonald or Gallant."

This is a Snider-Enfield Mk. II**, Mark II being the last of the converted Pattern 1853s to become Snider-Enfields (Mk. III rifles were built from the ground up and are just Snider rifles) and the two stars showing it got some revision or other. They were rapidly developing the cartridges for these weapons as they went and each star was a marking to show which revision a particular arm had received. They did the same thing with the Lee-Enfields.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Vadoc posted:

Still better equipped than Russia.

Ehhhh, no lol. At least the Russians have air defence systems, a full-featured air force, MLRS, SPG's , cruise missile systems, etc.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Generation Internet posted:

E crown 29 is an inspection mark, not a unit mark. What you've identified as a stand number is probably a regimental number. It is common practice for folks who get all freaky at the thought of paperwork like Germans to stamp serial numbers all over every single part of a firearm, but this is the British gun trade of the 1860s we are talking about here. We're lucky if they made the screws to the same standard.

E: Seriously. Standardization of parts for small arms did not reach Britain until something like the third model of P1853 Enfield.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 28, 2023

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Fearless posted:

E: Seriously. Standardization of parts for small arms did not reach Britain until something like the third model of P1853 Enfield.

lol fourth, they didn't start doing this until like 1860

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

McNally posted:

lol fourth, they didn't start doing this until like 1860

Skennerton says '58, which coincides with the beginning of production of the third model. Prior to this, I get the sense that there is interchangeability of parts made by a specific manufacturer, but not between manufacturers.

E: It's still what, 20 years after the Americans introduced the concept into their own arsenals?

E2: And it's debatable as to whether or not Lee Enfields are truly parts interchangeable given the variable dimension bolt heads and the magazines hand fitted to individual rifles. (Though as I understand it the bolt head issue was due to a desire to provide as much tolerance as possible for ammo variations as .303 headspaces off the rim and indicates issues with standardization in a whole different section of British war industry)

Fearless fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 28, 2023

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Fearless posted:

Skennerton says '58, which coincides with the beginning of production of the third model. Prior to this, I get the sense that there is interchangeability of parts made by a specific manufacturer, but not between manufacturers.

E: It's still what, 20 years after the Americans introduced the concept into their own arsenals?

E2: And it's debatable as to whether or not Lee Enfields are truly parts interchangeable given the variable dimension bolt heads and the magazines hand fitted to individual rifles. (Though as I understand it the bolt head issue was due to a desire to provide as much tolerance as possible for ammo variations as .303 headspaces off the rim and indicates issues with standardization in a whole different section of British war industry)

Springfield started trying to achieve parts interchangeability starting in 1816 though they didn't get there until 1842 (possibly 1840)

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

What a bunch of fuckin nerds ey boys

Please continue

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

The Snider Enfield was also finally withdrawn from active service in the Militia in 1905,* demonstrating that if ever there was a real tradition for Canada's military, it is fighting tomorrow's battles with yesterday's kit.

*Fun fact: divesting the various militia units of Sniders took years-- there were still 1853 Enfields on the books in quantity for some of them into the 20th century-- and as a result you will see Snider Enfields used as drill rifles during the Great War.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

My Spirit Otter posted:

Guess im moving out of the q's. Rent goes up when you get a payraise, but does the quality ever go up?

Where does Q rent go up if you get a raise? There are typically small annual increases, and you aren't allowed to rent if it's more than 25% of your household income, but it's not on a sliding scale.

Anyway, I finally did the actual calc of losing PLD vs. the salary adjustment, and I'm getting a $30/mo pay cut until next April. That's a small practical inconvenience but a giant emotional bummer. If I am losing (pretty high on the pilot scale so 8% salary bump is a fair amount), basically everyone on this coast who was in receipt of PLD and is a skilled worker to middle-management type is losing a lot more. Unreal.

I guess it's pensionable now and I'm pretty certain I'll exercise that option next year.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

compressioncut posted:

Where does Q rent go up if you get a raise? There are typically small annual increases, and you aren't allowed to rent if it's more than 25% of your household income, but it's not on a sliding scale.

Anyway, I finally did the actual calc of losing PLD vs. the salary adjustment, and I'm getting a $30/mo pay cut until next April. That's a small practical inconvenience but a giant emotional bummer. If I am losing (pretty high on the pilot scale so 8% salary bump is a fair amount), basically everyone on this coast who was in receipt of PLD and is a skilled worker to middle-management type is losing a lot more. Unreal.

I guess it's pensionable now and I'm pretty certain I'll exercise that option next year.

Your rent is based off of your salary, so you and i are not paying the same rent, even if we were next door neighbours. 25% of your gross, not your net, so despite the fact that my rent reduced my take home pay by 1/3rd, i do not qualify for the 25% max

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

i have to go to borden for 3 months next week and im really hoping i get stabbed before i have to go. i live in winnipeg, so the odds are in my favour...

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

My Spirit Otter fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 9, 2023

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 12, 2023

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The dog or pony show has been cancelled due to a worker's strike.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
I heard Trenton had people blocking gates off, allegedly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Civs? Hasnt been any order to go in strike yet