Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So I bought some 26" Sun Rhyno Lite rims with Deore hubs about 11 years ago, rode them through a few winters on the east coast, then shipped them to the pacific northwest and rode them sparingly since. The rear wheel has started to have some play in it, like I can move it left and right with my hand. I repacked the bearings and tightened the cones, but it still comes loose almost immediately once I start riding. Is the hub likely toast? Should I try getting new bearings?

I just checked and I paid $107 total for both new from Jenson USA. drat! Things used to be cheap.

What would be a good replacement wheel nowadays? Maybe something with a cartridge bearing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

SimonSays posted:

Why not use the 10-speed ones? Otherwise yeah it's eBay or parts bins because no way anyone is going to bother making non-hyperglide double chainrings in tyool 2023.

E: let's clarify: a 7-speed freewheel or cassette will work excellently with an 8-speed chain, and so will a matched pair of 10-speed chainrings.

I hadn't bothered to look up the compatibility of 10spd with my drivetrain. I'm already on an 8spd chain.

Unfortunately the more I look at the cranks I'm not sure they'll support having chainrings replaced. I had assumed that peeling back the plastic cover on the spider would expose the chainring bolts, but instead it looks like the rings are riveted together and possible only attached at the 28t little cog and nowhere else. I'd be skeptical about fitting the size chainrings I want or fitting more than one with that tiny BCD and how tight to the bottom bracket the bolts are.

It's a late 90s suntour sr powerflo front triple for reference. It's probable I'll just need new cranks too, but I was hoping to avoid having to go down the "you need new cranks, which don't work with your derailleur, and a new front derailleur won't work with your shifter, so replace that too" rabbit hole. This bike was never nice and really never needs to be anything more than a beater that just runs okay.

Looks like I'm probably eBay hunting for a retro crankset with replaceable chainrings and hoping its a) going to work with existing parts and b) not a scam in some way.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

meltie posted:

Maybe a stem with a less-tall clamp?

Maybe in conjunction with a lower stack headset cover.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I hadn't bothered to look up the compatibility of 10spd with my drivetrain. I'm already on an 8spd chain.

Unfortunately the more I look at the cranks I'm not sure they'll support having chainrings replaced. I had assumed that peeling back the plastic cover on the spider would expose the chainring bolts, but instead it looks like the rings are riveted together and possible only attached at the 28t little cog and nowhere else. I'd be skeptical about fitting the size chainrings I want or fitting more than one with that tiny BCD and how tight to the bottom bracket the bolts are.

It's a late 90s suntour sr powerflo front triple for reference. It's probable I'll just need new cranks too, but I was hoping to avoid having to go down the "you need new cranks, which don't work with your derailleur, and a new front derailleur won't work with your shifter, so replace that too" rabbit hole. This bike was never nice and really never needs to be anything more than a beater that just runs okay.

Looks like I'm probably eBay hunting for a retro crankset with replaceable chainrings and hoping its a) going to work with existing parts and b) not a scam in some way.

Hello, I'm you, I'm here from the future to warn you you're about to go down a rabbit hole where nothing is compatible with anything else and you don't find out until you've spent 5x the value of the bike and it still shifts like garbage and you donate it after finally just buying an entry level hardtail.

*ghost noises

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

Hello, I'm you, I'm here from the future to warn you you're about to go down a rabbit hole where nothing is compatible with anything else and you don't find out until you've spent 5x the value of the bike and it still shifts like garbage and you donate it after finally just buying an entry level hardtail.

*ghost noises

It's all shimano drivetrain otherwise, so a 90s shimano deore triple should be hopefully be spaced properly, or close enough that I can adjust the front derailleur to work, I hope.

E: For instance, these look not the worst wear-wise and I think would work: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2558572246...ABk9SR_6elKTfYQ

Or these, for a chunk more cash: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2661154189...4&ul_noapp=true

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 19, 2023

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Yeep posted:

poo poo

I thought I'd measured everything and I'd be fine with the steerer length on some eBay forks but it's about a cm short and definitely below the top bolt. I think the seller was a bit generous with his measurements as well. I'm guessing that's too short to ride safely. Are there any cheap fixes or should I go begging for a return?
you could do something like this.
https://www.hambini.com/increasing-the-length-stack-height-of-a-fork-steerer-cut-to-short/

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

frogbs posted:

I repacked the bearings and tightened the cones, but it still comes loose almost immediately once I start riding.
One of two things are happening here. Either you didn't repack the hub correctly or the cups are completely hosed to the point of getting pushed further into the hub.

The first is more likely. Did you make sure to lock the cone against the locknut?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

CopperHound posted:

The first is more likely. Did you make sure to lock the cone against the locknut?

I think this is likely the case after doing more reading. Am going to open everything back up today...

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
It could also be the axle being slightly bent but that's fairly easy to check if you're opening the hub.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Had to abandon a gravel ride yesterday after a loud snap sound from my rear wheel, and then zero catch on my freehub. It turned both directions independent of the rear wheel, though with some roughness.

Took it apart today:

2 of 3 pawls ripped right off the freehub body with fatal damage. They were in pieces floating around in the ratchet area.

Time to warranty, as the wheels are only 5 months old and I only rode gravel occasionally.

Fulcrum rapid red 5 db.

Anyone have a clue what can cause this, or if there’s any known issues with Fulcrum freehubs. There were no warning signs.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Looks like a terrible (but common) freehub design where a single spring band and the dimensions of the ratchet are the only things keeping the pawls in their recesses.

Compare your Fulcrum freehub to a White Industries freehub where the ends of the pawls are almost fully encircled.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Yeah, my hope hubs both look similar to the white industries one.

Disturbing that this freehub is a shared Fulcrum/Campagnolo part used on all their current gen wheels - if it’s truly that bad.

I might’ve only used these wheels 10 times from new.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I don’t think I’d do that for a mountain bike.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I would use one of these
https://www.velobike.co.nz/collections/all-bike-components/products/steerer-tube-extender

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
The more I look around, the most cost effective way to replace the cranks/chainrings on the lovely winter bike is just going to be to buy the new version of the old disposable parts that are already on it:

https://www.performancebike.com/shimano-tourney-fcty501-crankset-black-3-x-6-7-8-speed-square-taper-170mm-48-38-28t-efcty501c888clb/p1276693

It feels kinda lovely but it's what makes sense if it's just going to get eaten alive by road salt in a handful of years and never needs to have any performance qualities.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
my friend currently has a Shimano FC-R563 crankset + chainrings of which the latter are in dire need of replacement, can I just stick on three FC-5703 chainrings? (fwiw, outer, middle, inner)

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
Can't see why it wouldn't work, the cranks look pretty much identical.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
In the meantime I've discovered that the inner ring on the FC-563 apparently/probably has a BCD of 92 mm, whereas the inner ring on the FC-5703 has a BCD of 74 mm... so that's one reason it possibly won't work. I guess I'll make sure to bring an inner ring with a 92 mm BCD, such as the FC-6703, along as well, just to be sure.

Can't find any M8x9.1mm chainring bolts though, which I might need should the ones currently on there turn out to be unusable after coming off. Any tips to preserve them as well as I can while taking apart the chainring?

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Lex Neville posted:

Can't find any M8x9.1mm chainring bolts though, which I might need should the ones currently on there turn out to be unusable after coming off. Any tips to preserve them as well as I can while taking apart the chainring?

Just don't round off the bolts and you're fine? The Shimano chainring bolts have threadlocking compound on them or something, they come off incredibly suddenly so watch your knuckles.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Haha, I was unclear I suppose. I meant: any tips on how to 100%, definitely get them loose without rounding them off? Thanks for the advice re: their suddenly coming loose though, that's good to know :)

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Lex Neville posted:

Haha, I was unclear I suppose. I meant: any tips on how to 100%, definitely get them loose without rounding them off? Thanks for the advice re: their suddenly coming loose though, that's good to know :)

Heat em up first, go at it while they're cooling back down. The different thermal expansion rates will help break loose the thread locker.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

Lex Neville posted:

In the meantime I've discovered that the inner ring on the FC-563 apparently/probably has a BCD of 92 mm, whereas the inner ring on the FC-5703 has a BCD of 74 mm... so that's one reason it possibly won't work. I guess I'll make sure to bring an inner ring with a 92 mm BCD, such as the FC-6703, along as well, just to be sure.

Ugh, I thought they used non bullshit bcds with that look of cranks.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

bicievino posted:

Heat em up first, go at it while they're cooling back down. The different thermal expansion rates will help break loose the thread locker.

Good to know, thanks!

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Lex Neville posted:

I find it easier to take the crank off. Put a Allen key in a vise and twist the crank, it also allows you to hold the slotted nut easier once the chainring bolt has loosened.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Lex Neville posted:

Any tips to preserve them as well as I can while taking apart the chainring?

Having better hex wrenches can damage/distort the holes less, but maybe not worth jumping to that for this project. I've been happy with Wera, but even those are miracle workers -- I've still rounded out bolts that are shallow and loose tolerance. And even here, you can end up needing 2 M5 wrenches.

If the nut side has the cheap bolts that are only the slots, no hex hole, you'll do better with a specific tool. Without one, the moment you loosen the bolt, the assembly will start spinning on the spider/chainring sandwich. Most of the time, I haven’t had success with older hardware coming apart with just a flat head jammed against the slot.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
it all worked out in the end! no hiccups whatsoever, friend is happily riding around with his new drivetrain. thanks again guys :)

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

I've managed to source a stem with 10mm less stack which should fix this. Unfortunately I'm having no luck at all finding 20mm endcaps for my hub. It's a DT Swiss 240 Oversize from about 2006 and the internal measurement is definitely 20mm but it came to me second hand with push fit QR caps on. The 240 has had screw on endcaps since at least 2010 which is the earliest I can find any information online for and the set I ordered based on the DT online support tool (and returned) definitely don't fit.

Edit: LBS finally got a reply from DT. Apparently it needs a new axle as well as end caps. Still cheaper (just) than a replacement second hand 20mm wheel.

Yeep fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 4, 2023

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I had a crappy simplex derailleur from the '70s that I replaced with a thing from the parts bins at the coop and though it's so much smoother to shift and everything, I'm still having an issue with smallest chainring to nearly anything in the back causing the chain to lose tension and hang when you move the pedals backwards.

I replaced the chain and sized it down a bit using the largest chainring and cog because the original was a bit too large using that method. Problem still persists. Any thoughts?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Mauser posted:

I had a crappy simplex derailleur from the '70s that I replaced with a thing from the parts bins at the coop and though it's so much smoother to shift and everything, I'm still having an issue with smallest chainring to nearly anything in the back causing the chain to lose tension and hang when you move the pedals backwards.

I replaced the chain and sized it down a bit using the largest chainring and cog because the original was a bit too large using that method. Problem still persists. Any thoughts?

I would start with servicing your cassette body / freewheel, although it's a bit odd that it's only an issue in the small chainring.
Could be a weak spring in the new RD?

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

bicievino posted:

I would start with servicing your cassette body / freewheel, although it's a bit odd that it's only an issue in the small chainring.

oh that's probably it. Is there a particular type of lube I should be using to grease it back up?

The larger chainring keeps the chain more taught and smaller chainring to largest cog also does similar.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I thought you weren't supposed to ride in small/small anyway

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

It's a 2x5 and it happens on the smallest four cogs. There's enough clearance on the front to do small small :shrug:

edit: I don't think I've ever actually used it though

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Mauser posted:

oh that's probably it. Is there a particular type of lube I should be using to grease it back up?

The larger chainring keeps the chain more taught and smaller chainring to largest cog also does similar.

I use Phil Wood's tenacious oil for freehubs and cassette bodies. You don't want a tacky grease on the ratchet mechanism because it will only partially engage, slip, and get damaged.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Mauser posted:

this sounds like the derailleur isn't strong enough to maintain tension when it is taking up as much slack as possible. when you are in large/large, is there room to take any links of the chain out? that could be a fudging it sort of solution...

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I've got another derailleur I could try that I know is in good shape, but I'm going to try cleaning out or just replacing the freewheel first. The pedals tend to move around a bit when you're rolling the thing which is pushing me in that direction. The bike is going to be 50 years old next year if I identified it correctly in the catalog scans I found online

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

bicievino posted:

I use Phil Wood's tenacious oil for freehubs and cassette bodies. You don't want a tacky grease on the ratchet mechanism because it will only partially engage, slip, and get damaged.

Could honestly get away with just using wet chain lube IMO, but yes this stuff is great

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Took the wheel off and gave the freewheel a spin and it's so gunked up that it requires a mild amount of force to actually rotate. Going to clean it out and grease it up once the freewheel tool gets here and hopefully that'll be all that needs to get done.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Often times you can get a freewheel spinning okay again by flushing oil through. Just pool up a little oil in the red area and give it a spin. Repeat as needed.

Disassembling a freewheel is not reccomended and you should have a replacement available in the likely event that it doesn't go well.

e: By "doesn't go well" I am referring to eighty tiny loose ball bearings just going everywhere.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 5, 2023

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

oh yeah no way am I disassembling it. I just want to take it off the wheel so I can get at it with without making a huge mess and I didn't have the little two pronged socket that fits this thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Mauser posted:

two pronged socket that fits this thing
Godspeed. Use a nut or skewer to clamp it in place until it breaks free or just breaks.