Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Balls, Colbert and Seth are the only two I watch :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

So for those who have a lot of late night shows recorded... There is an episode of Conan (not sure which version but probably Late Night) where Tom Selleck was a guest, and they did the dumb funniest thing where they played an old clip of him without his mustache, and then badly animated it jumping into his face and yelling "sorry I'm late!" In a dumb voice.

I would very much like to see that clip again.

EDIT: Never mind. I found it. It was 2/16/05. I also didn't remember they did a whole bit on another time where his old mustache was in a coma.

Steve Vader fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 22, 2023

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Now THIS is the tv chat thread you're looking for :sweatdrop:

Everybody's on this week. Another Carpool Karaoke on tonight's Corden, and the cast of Succession will make a special appearance on tonight's Kimmel. No baseketball on Thursday so new CBS shows that night too. Fred Armisen is listed as "sitting in with" the 8G Band, which is odd; usually that wording is used for guest drummers. As Fred is—at least nominally—the leader of the band, when he's actually there, there is no mention of it. While this is more than likely just an oversight on the part of whoever wrote this week's press release, it would be funny if he officially lost the job he ain't bothered to show up for the last 9 years.

Schedule for the week starting 2023.03.27
Subject and likely to change

Colbert
Monday - Hugh Grant, Sean Hayes
Tuesday - Mary J. Blige, Alison Roman
Wednesday - Taron Egerton, Jay Chandrasekhar
Thursday - Brooke Shields, Clint Smith, Weyes Blood

Corden
Monday - Carpool Karaoke with Lil Nas X, Julie Bowen, Zach Braff, Morvin Splaversby
Tuesday - Owen Wilson, Jeff Goldblum, Lior Suchard
Wednesday - Chris Pine, Hugh Grant, Jimmie Allen
Thursday - Kevin Bacon, Kyra Sedgwick, Dustin Nickerson

Kimmel
Monday - Chris Pine, Dave Burd, The War & Treaty
Tuesday - Ben Affleck, Nicholas Braun, Chlöe
Wednesday - Jason Bateman, Ali Wong, Stray Kids
Thursday - Viola Davis and Julius Tennon, Brett Goldstein, Daniel Caesar

Fallon
Monday - Nathan Lane, Dove Cameron, Lil Uzi Vert
Tuesday - Adam Sandler, Nicholas Hoult, Penn & Teller
Wednesday - Kevin Bacon, Jay Pharoah, Coco Jones
Thursday - Edward Norton, Ego Nwodim, Parker McCollum
Friday - Chris Pratt, Elizabeth Vargas, Maisie Peters

Seth
Monday - Jeff Goldblum and The Mildred Snitzer Orchestra feat. Mattiel Brown
Tuesday - Andy Samberg, Chris O’Dowd, Jessi Klein
Wednesday - Adam Scott, Jeff Tweedy, Wilco
Thursday - Taron Egerton, Maude Apatow

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://twitter.com/cevangelista413/status/1641439249089155072?s=20

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

:same:

I'll also never forget when they brought the bit to its logical conclusion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj-VQTiO0Sw

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

im not a fan of slipknot at all, not my jam, but i respect the poo poo outta them

someone did a justin beiber/slipknot mashup years ago that was really well done

https://youtu.be/kspPE9E1yGM

lead singer went on record to say how awesome it was and how great a job was done in the mix

https://youtu.be/C-OiMn-wgJ0

so seeing this really makes me like em more, just wish i liked their music

pwn
May 27, 2004

Trump trump trump trump tRump tUMp tyrmpy. Tromyu rot. All goddamn week it's gonna be all about one old fat white guy with power being held slightly to account for one (1) of his ∞ crimes, so maybe just watch movies or read a book or some poo poo. Lighter week, Corden and Kimmel are off, all New York all week. Appropriate, as New York is the epicenter of trompworld this week.

Schedule for the week starting 2023.04.03
Subject and likely to change

Colbert
Monday - Stephen A. Smith, Dylan McDermott, Davido
Tuesday - Lin-Manuel Miranda, John Kander, Performance by the Broadway cast of “New York, New York
Wednesday - The crew of NASA’s Artemis II mission: Victor Glover, Reid Wiseman, Christina Koch and Jeremy Hansen, Jodie Comer
Thursday - Rerun

Corden
Reruns

Kimmel
Reruns

Fallon
Monday - Michelle Williams, John Stamos, Mo Willems, CHVRCHES
Tuesday - Keegan-Michael Key, Sir Richard Branson, Blondshell
Wednesday - Matt Damon, Cecily Strong, Rema
Thursday - Molly Shannon, Ramón Rodríguez, Sophie Buddle
Friday - Jonas Brothers, Chlöe Bailey, The Foodie Magician

Seth
Monday - Rob Lowe & John Owen Lowe, Judd Winick, Ruston Kelly
Tuesday - Jason Bateman, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Wednesday - Chris Pratt, Ali Wong, The Hold Steady
Thursday - Kristin Chenoweth

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

pwn posted:

Trump trump trump trump tRump tUMp tyrmpy. Tromyu rot. All goddamn week it's gonna be all about one old fat white guy with power being held slightly to account for one (1) of his ∞ crimes, so maybe just watch movies or read a book or some poo poo. Lighter week, Corden and Kimmel are off, all New York all week. Appropriate, as New York is the epicenter of trompworld this week.

See, I feel the opposite, and couldn't wait to hear what Colbert and Seth had to say.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

roy wood jr is hosting daily show this week as well

dude owns

pwn
May 27, 2004

I suppose watching 2 hours of network news every day, I'm burnt out on it. I did enjoy Seth's takedown of the media's dumb "this has never happened before!!" bullshit.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Watching Roy Wood right now. :allears:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

roy wood jr

owns

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

roy wood jr is hosting daily show this week as well

dude owns

Helllllll yes some of these guest hosts haven’t been my fave but I will delight in every second of Roy Wood’s week

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Hawkperson posted:

Helllllll yes some of these guest hosts haven’t been my fave but I will delight in every second of Roy Wood’s week

leguizamo was really drat good

pwn
May 27, 2004

The only host I've seen so far that not only could I see hosting but I actively want them to host is Hasan Minhaj. Roy's show yesterday was very good, and most everyone else falls into some area of awkwardness that I've little desire to see more of. Marlon Wayans was terrible. He seemed to be reading his scripts for the first time as they were taping.

Hasan killed it. Give him the job please.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

I didn't see Minhaj's, but he's someone I would not like to see anywhere, or at all even. Sure I might be wrong and he might deserve a second chance in a different position, but in everything else I've seen him in he wasn't funny - and mostly came across as a self involved holier-than-thou gently caress boi. Him replacing Noah would be no change at all except Noah is a legitimately good stand up

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I’ve really enjoyed most of the hosts but most of them have felt like vacations and opportunities to showcase their causes. Woods is the first one who really feels like he could just be doing this nightly and everything is clicking. And it feels like that’s the vibe they’re pushing so I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s already on the short list if not pencilled in.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

leguizamo was really drat good

My personal faves were Hasan Minhaj, Leslie Jones, Wanda Sykes. Sarah Silverman was pretty good and same with Leguizamo and DL Hughley. Leguizamo's bit with the kids going "DO THE VOICE :catstare:" was my favorite of his.

Kal Penn, Marlon Wayans, and Chelsea Handler were my least favorite. Kal Penn's open thirsting for the job made his mediocre hosting even worse imo. But at least I got through his week, I couldn't take Wayans after two days.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I didn't see Minhaj's, but he's someone I would not like to see anywhere, or at all even. Sure I might be wrong and he might deserve a second chance in a different position, but in everything else I've seen him in he wasn't funny - and mostly came across as a self involved holier-than-thou gently caress boi. Him replacing Noah would be no change at all except Noah is a legitimately good stand up

I personally like his standup a lot so maybe I'm biased but he really did an excellent job hosting and especially did some great interviews. More than anyone else he seemed fully at home in the seat. He really didn't spend that long as a correspondent if I recall correctly? But he gave a vibe like he'd been there for decades.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Eric Andre needs to host the daily show.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Pander posted:

Yes.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

I’ve really enjoyed most of the hosts but most of them have felt like vacations and opportunities to showcase their causes. Woods is the first one who really feels like he could just be doing this nightly and everything is clicking. And it feels like that’s the vibe they’re pushing so I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s already on the short list if not pencilled in.

Roy's shows so far have been the closest thing I've seen to just how quickly John Oliver slid into the role like he'd been doing it for years (and without a Carlos Danger dance!) - he hit the ground running and has absolutely nailed the mix of confidence and timing that sort of makes hosts click. I'd mentioned a while back when they started announcing guest hosts that I wanted to see him get a crack at it, but even I couldn't have predicted how much of a natural he is.

I agree that Hasan was good, Leguizamo was fantastic, I actually liked Handler's and Silverman's and Sykes' takes on things, and Al Franken was pretty solid too. The less said about how abysmal Marlon and Kal's runs were, the better.

Nobody's really felt like they understood how to keep the show going while still appearing to go off on tangents like Roy does, but then he's always done that well. It's always nice to see someone rising to the occasion, and I'm gonna be sad that there's only one more show for him after tonight.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
I loved how Jordan talked Roy up. I love Roy wood jr

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Pander posted:

eric andre can host whatever he wants imo

his lance reddick segment really hit hard the past couple weeks

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I feel like(/hope) the second Jon Stewart himself showed up for Roy it was over, it feels like an endorsement. He’d arguably be a better continuation of Stewart’s legacy than Trevor Noah was. I’m sure he doesn’t have any official say but they’d be stupid not to take it into consideration.

edit: if it’s not Roy it should be Chelsea Handler, I liked her during the Chelsea Lately era and she’s much meaner now

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 6, 2023

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
yeah, I liked how give no fucks mean Handler was too, plus she tried to mix it up and bring in a panel of young comedians, etc which is a good change.

I think everyone should get a week a year if they want going forward. Roy is tops though.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Chandler did way too much "Thing bad. (Applause)"

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

roy wood jr then leguizamo for me

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Honestly, I fell out of watching The Daily Show a while back. I stuck with Trevor Noah for a good while, which wasn't easy because he was trying to do Jon's show, and the results were, at best, mixed. Also, he didn't have the timing or feel for how to do comedy in the satire news genre at first. But, he grew into it little by little, and the first thing he did that felt like it was all him (and not just something Jon did) was the thing where he'd talk directly to the audience, as if during a filming break or something. That was great...

... and then the pandemic hit, and everything got weird. Compare how Colbert, Oliver, and Noah did when they were at home, doing solo shows. Trevor's shows were the first ones we skipped when we didn't have time to watch it as it aired... and then we stopped watching it every time the next day or when there wasn't anything else on... and eventually, it was just a folder on our Spectrum DVR that just had to be emptied every month or two.

I did watch his last week of episodes, and he had apparently gotten a lot better. But, I was nonplussed when I heard how they were going to replace him.

I feel bad that I didn't catch this last week's episodes. I do like Roy Wood Jr.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

They're all on Youtube :shrug: that's how I'm catching them. I hadn't realized I missed Leguizamo's Thursday show. His mom is so cute, I want more stories :allears:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
To be fair, Jon Stewart’s early shows on TDS were also quite terrible. It was still mostly human interest stories from the format of the Kilborn days and wasn’t very political

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

tarlibone posted:

Honestly, I fell out of watching The Daily Show a while back. I stuck with Trevor Noah for a good while, which wasn't easy because he was trying to do Jon's show,
He was, for a while. But even in that period, he did something that put me off him for the entirety of his run.

You don't "both sides" Trump. You don't tell me I'm judging him too harshly. That I need to engage in respectability politics with his supporters. And he went down that path three times too many and I was done with him forever.

Looking forward to seeing the new version of the show. I'd quite missed it.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 8, 2023

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

SamBishop posted:

I agree that Hasan was good, Leguizamo was fantastic, I actually liked Handler's and Silverman's and Sykes' takes on things, and Al Franken was pretty solid too. The less said about how abysmal Marlon and Kal's runs were, the better.

Kal's House Skit was pretty funny though.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Kal Penn tried to do the topical cable show before, it was also terrible.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

klepper hosting daily show this week, he should do a great job.

roy wood jr really needs to be host though. dude is ready.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

in other news, Paramount Plus took down nearly every episode of Trevor Noah's Daily Show. gently caress y'all.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

klepper hosting daily show this week, he should do a great job.

roy wood jr really needs to be host though. dude is ready.

Klepper is amazing and I will enjoy the poo poo out of his week but if he’s behind the desk, then he can’t be harassing Trump supporters so.

Roy and Desi deciding if the Jill Biden faux pas was racism or sexism was loving amazing, hire Roy for the desk on the back of that alone.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Hawkperson posted:

Klepper is amazing and I will enjoy the poo poo out of his week but if he’s behind the desk, then he can’t be harassing Trump supporters so.

Roy and Desi deciding if the Jill Biden faux pas was racism or sexism was loving amazing, hire Roy for the desk on the back of that alone.

drat right. Hell it needs to be seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81SLr5lNWfY&t=226s

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Narcissus1916 posted:

in other news, Paramount Plus took down nearly every episode of Trevor Noah's Daily Show. gently caress y'all.

I miss the Jon Stewart era where you could search by date, topic, and host. I still youtube Jon vs. Victoria Beckham.

pwn
May 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szWiVSCwdSk

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

That was absolutely the best Hasan bit and I love him a lot but I'll raise you the end of Roy's Long Story Short on college (not timestamped because one should watch the whole thing or it won't land):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUWLwoj-VVg