Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

starkebn posted:

I think it's just this. I don't think TikTok harvests anything different to the other social media apps, but people are happy for them to supply info to the "right" governments

Urgh gross.

I remember a few years ago when facebook got caught having their app upload every photo on your device to facebook's servers, not just ones you manually uploaded. Just absolutely dog-brained poo poo to ban tiktok for "security reasons" and not anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
The american senate tiktok thinking was blatantly a china bad racist thing

I hope our government is smart enough to do something like that

Josie
Apr 26, 2007

With tales of brave Ulysses; how his naked ears were tortured; By the sirens sweetly singing.

In my opinion it's definitely just China Bad. Last time I checked MPs can have Facebook on their phones and it was only last year that it was established that Facebook US operates in Australia (when it comes to collecting the personal information of Australians) due to this:

https://www.cliffordchance.com/insi...k-to-carry.html

quote:

This unprecedent enforcement action was taken in response to the Facebook-Cambridge Analytica scandal, whereby the personal information of 86 million Facebook users collected through Facebook's 'This is Your Digital Life' application was disclosed and used without consent for political profiling purposes in the lead up to the 2016 US Presidential Election. While only 53 Facebook users installed the application in Australia, the personal information of those users and over 300,000 of their friends was disclosed and used.

Snowden had a fair bit to say about Facebook & the NSA - obviously not all of it applies here but:

https://www.vox.com/recode/2019/10/31/20940532/edward-snowden-facebook-nsa-whistleblower

quote:

“Facebook’s internal purpose, whether they state it publicly or not, is to compile perfect records of private lives to the maximum extent of their capability, and then exploit that for their own corporate enrichment. And drat the consequences,” Snowden told Swisher. “This is actually precisely the same as what the NSA does. Google ... has a very similar model. They go, ‘Oh, we’re connecting people.’ They go, ‘Oh, we’re organizing data.’” Although, Snowden said, these companies still don’t know as much as the government, which can gather information from all of the many tech platforms.
Snowden also pointed out that the Fourth Amendment — which protects citizens from searches unless law enforcement has a warrant or probable cause — only applies to government, not to companies. So while the FBI might need a warrant to probe your inbox, there’s no constitutional barrier to a company like Facebook searching and retrieving people’s private information without a judge’s approval.

And we know, also from Snowden, that the NSA has access to Facebook for analysis.

Again, we're not in the US, but I've never heard the Australian Government kicking up a fuss that the US Government uses data collected from Facebook to spy on their citizens.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/6NewsAU/status/1643461684370223109
https://twitter.com/6NewsAU/status/1643462328246226945

Josie
Apr 26, 2007

With tales of brave Ulysses; how his naked ears were tortured; By the sirens sweetly singing.

Most media analysis of the Liberals recently: 'maybe you should stand for something and not just say NO to everything'
The Liberals: 'Better say NO to the Voice, that'll do it'

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Mark Latham has them rattled they'll lose the bigot vote.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Lol awkward for the frontbenchers. Didn’t Leeser give a national press club address in support of the voice like 2 days ago

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

If you're a Lib front bencher who supports it just loving publicly support it anyway.

Worst case Dutton takes you off the front bench, and you get back on when he's eventually rolled.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013
The funniest thing about the LNP position is that they’re concerned about the wording but can never articulate what part of the wording bothers them.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
loving hell these two just exude charisma don't they

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
who told him to wear glasses to soften his image?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Albo by example.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Has there ever been a referendum passed without the support of both major parties?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
No referendum has succeeded without bipartisan support, so while the Coalition is loving comical this does not look good. I was expecting a begrudging neutral or support while sniping from the sidelines instead of this.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

jeffreyw posted:

The funniest thing about the LNP position is that they’re concerned about the wording but can never articulate what part of the wording bothers them.

the main objection that some of them is specifically about the inclusion of 'executive government' in the second clause because they're concerned it will allow every single government decision to be challenged in court for not sufficiently consulting the voice. there are some conservative constitutional law experts who are backing that position, but other constitutional law experts have completely rejected it.

but of course many in the party are opposing it for broader reasons than just that

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Non Compos Mentis posted:

who told him to wear glasses to soften his image?

It does work though, breaks up the monotone, hairless ball-of-skin effect

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

lih posted:

but of course many in the party are opposing it for broader reasons than just that

It must be exhausting to be a right-wing politician and constantly have to mask your real opinions (or at least mask what you think the base wants to hear) behind some other technocrat bullshit. I wonder if they ever look at One Nation and think "gently caress it'd be nice to just say what we mean and mean what we say."

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/chaser/status/1643551899780775936

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

loving hell these two just exude charisma don't they

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Noel Pearson's response in an interview on RN today is absolutely wonderful.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

hooman posted:

With the tiktok ban from government devices, does anyone here know what other apps are banned from government devices? Like do they have an "approved apps" list and you can only download them if they hit that list (which presumably tiktok has been removed from) or are these melted brained pricks still free to download "COIN RUSH XXL! XD" and have all their data scraped?

EDIT: I'm try to distinguish whether this is just another outshoot of "China BAD" rhetoric we're importing from the US or whether this is a fair appraisal of security risks, which would also includes things like the facebook app, or snapchat.

I work for a company that manages most of the NSW state gov MDM (mobile device management)

the only one with any real MDM security policies (for now) is FACS/DCJ. its mostly about data sovereignty and because a lot of their work involves minors and sensitive/delicate info of people in very lovely situations (DV etc). there is 'approved' apps but they can also just grab anything from the app store if they want. the approved apps list is generally just stuff the organisation uses, but it is in addition to the app store.

AFAIK nothing is overtly blocked from the app store at this time. if there is, they dont talk about it.

most people with a gov issued phone also have a personal phone, so they dont really use anything besides Outlook/work specific apps on their work phone. i would guess it is about 5-10% that have their gov issued device as their single phone.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

lih posted:

the main objection that some of them is specifically about the inclusion of 'executive government' in the second clause because they're concerned it will allow every single government decision to be challenged in court for not sufficiently consulting the voice. there are some conservative constitutional law experts who are backing that position, but other constitutional law experts have completely rejected it.

If that’s their problem with the wording, I can see why a lot of conservatives are mealy mouthed and unable to elaborate on a super technocratic objection.

Especially when it contradicts Dutton’s own reasoning that the Voice does absolutely nothing for First Nations people.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the ones who are focusing on that very technical legal objection are the ones who had been generally supportive of the voice up until very recently, while it's hard to believe that dutton was ever going to support it

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Ken Wyatt has reportedly quit the liberal party due to their opposition to the voice.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm

what?

A Lib with some form of decency? No.

Edit: I see he lost his seat in the last election, so I suppose this is a good way to retire and seem less of a monster.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Update to my previous post, NSW Cyber Security is advising all agencies to block TikTok and some have already implemented the change.

Outlook/Teams/other apps do not function if TikTok is detected on the device.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Oh he’s not even in parliament any more? Lol.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
kenn wyatt didnt quit the lnp when rio tinto destroyed sacred sites approved by the lnp so i dont consider him a good gauge of principles sorry

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

I love the the RBA and the way this reads...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-06/rba-financial-stability-review-interest-rates-mortgage-stress/102195028

Sure, 15% of households are hosed, and 9% are turbo hosed, but relax everyone, the banks will be just fine.

I mean, I know they are reporting on their mandated function of maintaining a stable banking system, it just reads as pure-strain capitalism if I ever saw it.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Lowe thinks capitalism is good.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

G-Spot Run posted:

en economic system of competition between 4 banks, 2 food suppliers and 1 media company.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

G-Spot Run posted:

Lighting up a cigarette in my trench coat in a multistorey carpark at 2:00am and informing a journo from the Guardian that the Governor of the Reserve Bank thinks capitalism is good

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Uh yeah. It's not a secret, he gave testimony in the senate hearings about it. Saying the article about the RBAs plan reads like pure capitalism... Yes, the call is coming from inside the house.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

What are thoughts on this article?

https://reneweconomy.com.au/australias-hydrogen-superpower-dream-could-be-massive-waste-of-money-says-griffith/amp/

quote:

The well-funded push to make Australia a green hydrogen superpower is shaping up to be a costly economic mistake and a waste of the nation’s abundant renewable energy resources, Rewiring Australia co-founder Saul Griffith has warned.

Speaking at a parliamentary inquiry on Thursday, Griffith said Australia – with its huge land mass and unparalleled solar and wind resources – has the “easiest shot on goal” of almost any country in the world to become a renewable superpower, but not through hydrogen.

“The idea that hydrogen will play a large role in the energy future does not make economic or thermodynamic sense,” Griffith says in Rewiring Australia’s written submission the Joint Standing Committee’s inquiry into Australia’s transition to a green energy superpower.

“It will play a small role, but attempting to carve out a large role for it represents a wasteful way to achieve clean energy goals.”

Griffith is not the first or only energy expert to question the green hydrogen super-hype. The common theme among these critics, including Bloomberg’s Michael , is that green hydrogen will play an important role, but only in certain hard to abate sectors. For the rest, wind and solar and storage will do the job.

And yet, this is far from the message we are getting from Australia’s governments, and even energy market arbiters.

The Australian Energy Market Operator’s draft Integrated System Plan for the national grid now includes a “hydrogen superpower” scenario that models the end of all coal generation by 2032, and is the only scenario consistent with 1.5°C. (Although it has indicated it may dial down the hydrogen equation in the next version).

All federal and state governments all have ambitious hydrogen strategies – including a federal stretch target of producing green hydrogen for $2/kg – and are pouring hundreds of millions into research and development and project proposals.

On the private side of the ledger, according to this tally in December of last year, more than 90 projects representing A$250 billion in investment are planned around the country – a figure that’s bound to have increased substantially in the past few months.

Griffith, who’s main focus through Rewiring Australia is to lobby for rapid and broad electrification – starting with Australian households and cars – says these billions could be much better spent.

“It gives me pause for concern,” he told the committee, which noted in comments during the session that the seemingly infinite promise of renewable hydrogen had been the hottest topic in the inquiry.

“When I look at the… graphs – and I do it diligently and I do it from first principle physics, I struggle to believe that hydrogen will be the contributor that is being lobbied for in this country,” he told the inquiry.

Griffith argues that certain parties with their own vested interests have had a “heavy hand on the tiller of the hydrogen conversation,” including Australia’s regional neighbour Japan, which sees hydrogen as the answer to its very particular energy security problems.

The International Energy Agency, too, has come in strongly behind hydrogen, predicting, as a Griffith notes, that by 2050, 50% of the world’s electricity will be used to make the zero emissions fuel.

“The International Energy Agency is not a nonpartisan group – it was actually initially founded as as a sort of trading bloc of fossil fuel producing countries for oil and gas. So it really is the mouthpiece for the oil and gas industry,” Griffith said.

“They are famously wrong on all their projections of the energy transition… but nevertheless, governments look to the International Energy Agency for advice.

“The people I respect doing the modeling of this, you know 90-95% of the economy will be all-electric, with 5%, maybe, hydrogen, on the high side.

“If [the IEA’s prediiction on hydrogen] is true, there’s no way we will hit our climate targets because you need all that electricity to be running the economy. That’s a very expensive way to do things.”

Expensive because, as Rewiring Australia explains in its written submission, it takes three times as much electricity to produce the hydrogen that eventually powers a machine that could have been powered with just one third of the starting electricity if it was stored in a battery not a hydrogen cell.

“Over-investment in hydrogen is likely to leave Australian homes and Australian businesses with less economic savings and fewer emissions reduction,” the submission says.

“With so few people per square kilometre, and so much land, we have the opportunity to produce more renewable energy than we do currently and more than we need domestically, and we can do it cheaper than other nations.

“The question is what to do with that extra energy capacity.”

Griffith says the answer to that question is to become a world leader in electrifying the primary production of materials from ores and doing so with renewables.

“We have a superpower opportunity well suited to Australia’s natural resource advantages – metal ores and low cost energy.

“Steel sells for roughly 10 times the price of iron ore. As a simple example, today we earn around $78 billion in revenue from iron ore exports. If we refined that and exported it as steel, it could make up to $707 billion in revenue,” the submission says.

“This version of an Australian bauxite industry would be earning $48 billion in exports, three times as much as today’s $16 billion,” Griffith says, although adding that to do this will require an enormous amount of renewable electricity.

“This highlights the importance of boosting our renewable energy production to assume the status of a world superpower,” he adds.

“That’s really the fundamental argument …up-processing these things in Australia to, maybe not finished stainless steel but at least into pig iron, or into a highly concentrated lithium brine, is absolutely how we should export our energy.

“So use the renewables here to do that. We may not make the cars for America but we will make the steel and aluminium and lithium,” Griffith told the Committee.

Putting my thoughts in the next post, because I don't want to bias any readings of this article.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I tend to like the hydrogen plans, at least initially, because they solve a problem with renewables of inconsistent generation.

Having much more wind and solar than you need so the lower times are covered by storing energy, which in SA at least is intended to happen by making hydrogen seems like an inefficient but good battery because it let's you store a LOT of energy.

Not convinced by the plans to export excess hydrogen. Will there actually be a market for it? I hope so. At the same time, the Australian focus on exporting raw materials and killing our local processing and manufacturing has been a terrible thing and I generally support any move towards exporting more higher value materials.

Maybe it's the fact it's presented as an either/or that makes me suspicious? If either is profitable, then use that to also develop the other and do both?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
There's a science communicator/YouTuber Sabine Hossenfelder who has a very good video talking about hydro of all colours of the rainbow. I watch them as I'm going to sleep usually, so I'm paraphrasing a lot here, but the vibe I left with was ".... Nah".

I think it's this one https://youtu.be/Zklo4Z1SqkE

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Expensive because, as Rewiring Australia explains in its written submission, it takes three times as much electricity to produce the hydrogen that eventually powers a machine that could have been powered with just one third of the starting electricity if it was stored in a battery not a hydrogen cell.

hard to get past this

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/TheShovel/status/1643744696571932672

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Animal Friend posted:

en economic system of competition between 4 banks, 2 food suppliers and 1 media company.

I don't know what it's like in other States, but in WA on the food supply side we have some more competition now. Coles, Woolies, Spud Shed, Aldi, and then the independent grocers association (IGA).