Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I looked at the Signal for a good long while and it just seems kind of gimmicky. I have the Skeletool and it’s fine. But if I were picking one up today, I’d probably go for the Wave+ or other “general” Leatherman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’ve really only heard of the Wave+ as a solid recommendation on Leathermans

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Bloody posted:

Camping adjacent gear question: anyone got a rec for cheap and cheerful handheld radios? We’ve got a caravan of three doing some road-tripping and walkie-talkies between vehicles sound like fun to me

there is a ham radio thread if you want to check there as well

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2827275

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Buck Turgidson posted:

Don't get something too nice for camping.

Just gonna ignore this advice

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

MrNemo posted:

So I need to replace my daysack. I've got a Mammut Duncan 35 that I really love in theory but the back is just a bit too short for me. On longer hikes it's rubbed me a bit but while preparing for an event I took it on a snappy jaunt with about 18kg in it doing 9 min/miles and gave myself a fairly awful set of blisters just above my coxis. I really like their design approach but it seems Mammut do their packs in a single back size that is just a bit too short for me. Not really sure I want to risk any of their other designs although I guess s frameless pack might work ok.

I'd really want something with a slightly longer back (I'm 1.83m) and similar capacity (could go smaller, preferably 25-35l). Preferably something with hip pockets and some additional outside storage options. Ideally it's something that would double up well for skiing too but that's a nice to have and totally not required.

Look at osprey stratos or manta series packs. They come in day hike size but they have adjustable torso lengths and hip belts with pockets. It's hard to find in day packs because most day packs have very little support/frames if any, let alone adjustable or multi sized packs. You might want to head into a store and try some on for size or order all you want and send back those you don't like.

I love my osprey packs a lot. I've got three ospreys and they're my favorite of all my packs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I use a tiny gerber multitool I saw at target because it's cheap so I won't miss it if I lose it and small so it is light and easy to pack.

I also have a morakniv companion for bigger stuff but all it's done is prove I have no loving clue how to use a knife because I almost always end a camping trip with a cut from it.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

guppy posted:

I wasn't going to suggest a more expensive tent since it sounded like you understood the tradeoffs of buying a cheapo tent like an Ozark Trail, but if we're going to be bringing $600 tents into the mix, Backcountry currently has this Alps Camp Creek two-room tent for 50% off, bringing the price down to $190. That's more than the $100 or so the ones you listed cost, but it's less than a third of that REI Wonderland. I have never used it, or anything Alps makes, and I think their stuff is typically viewed as good-but-not-great, but on the other hand, my wife owned an Ozark Trail tent before we met and it basically disintegrated. The Alps is billed as a 6-person tent; I agree that manufacturer-specified tent capacities are... optimistic, but I think you could probably fit 4 comfortably.

Nah. $190 isn't terrible. 10x12 footprint would give me 2 10x6 rooms. I don't like the doors on opposite sides, and I like the idea of 3 rooms with the option of one big one little room better, but I understand I'm asking a lot of a $100-200 tent.

Also it's that price on Amazon too.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Verman posted:

Look at osprey stratos or manta series packs. They come in day hike size but they have adjustable torso lengths and hip belts with pockets. It's hard to find in day packs because most day packs have very little support/frames if any, let alone adjustable or multi sized packs. You might want to head into a store and try some on for size or order all you want and send back those you don't like.

I love my osprey packs a lot. I've got three ospreys and they're my favorite of all my packs.

When Mrs. Trophy and I got our first daypacks, we really were just going to use them on day trips, no overnight. I ended up getting a Manta 34 and she was going to get the women's version, a Mira 32. But at the last minute she decided on a Sirrus 34, which is the ladies version of the Stratos. Yeah, I had to look all that up.

For a daypack, I do like my Manta. It came with a bladder, Mrs Trophy had to buy one for her Sirrus. But it did not take me long to wish I had bought a Stratos. Because the Stratos even in the 34 or 36 size makes a pretty good pack for a quick overnight trip. There are a exterior straps on the bottom to carry a foam sleeping pad, you can cram other objects between the bag and the top closure, and there is a separate pouch for a sleeping bag. Live and learn.

I ended up buying a ULA circuit for overnights, but I still take the Manta on day trips.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

As someone who lost two leatherman waves as a boy scout, they are pretty nice. They’re somewhat hefty so it’s better to have a holster on your belt than to carry it in your pocket.

Being frugal and getting the individual tools makes some sense, but you aren’t going to walk around with pliers, a knife, and a screwdriver et al. in your pockets. Sometimes it’s nice to just whip out the multitool without rummaging around

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

As someone who lost two leatherman waves as a boy scout, they are pretty nice. They’re somewhat hefty so it’s better to have a holster on your belt than to carry it in your pocket.

Being frugal and getting the individual tools makes some sense, but you aren’t going to walk around with pliers, a knife, and a screwdriver et al. in your pockets. Sometimes it’s nice to just whip out the multitool without rummaging around

personally I've found it easier to have a knife as its own thing mostly to keep the multitool from getting too crapped up with stuff it really only encountered when I used the knife on it anyway

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I have a Skeletool CX that sits in my truck's center console. I have a Gerber Dime that sits in my bike bag. The one I use the most is the Victorinox SD 7, aka the little keychain swiss army knife.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

hypnophant posted:

hear me out:

folding (or non-folding if you like) knife, 4” knipex pliers, and actual bottle opener
:hmmyes:

Those knipex pliers are right up there with wera screwdrivers for best tools I've ever bought! I definitely plan on packing a small canvas toolbag for the teardrop trailer with that kind of stuff, and a few 18v battery tools (like an inflator). Honestly, a multitool is more or less probably going to get the most use as fidget toy while sitting around a fire. I'm enough of a weight weenie I'd probably stick with the mini gerber dime while backpacking. I usually bring a full bowsaw and a tin of diy waxed makeup pad firestarters if I'm planning on a fire anyways, I don't see myself trying to saw branches with a pocketknife persay.

For me, half the appeal of buying a multitool is just getting to the point in my life where I can have nice things, and filling the weird void of regret for stuff I lost as a kid.

Buck Turgidson posted:

I leave a pair of pliers in the car and carry around a Swiss army knife. That will slice cheese, open bottles, and you can use the corkscrew as a makeshift marlinespike.

Don't get something too nice for camping. It's way too easy to lose stuff or to borrow it out and forget about it.

Whelp, I've been doing this all wrong

*glances over at cuben fiber backpack and tarp*

:ohdear:

I want to know more about this makeshift marlinspike with the corkscrew, that sounds pretty useful! Is that using the corkscrew like a spike for wrapping the chord?

waffle enthusiast posted:

I looked at the Signal for a good long while and it just seems kind of gimmicky. I have the Skeletool and it’s fine. But if I were picking one up today, I’d probably go for the Wave+ or other “general” Leatherman.

FogHelmut posted:

I have a Skeletool CX that sits in my truck's center console. I have a Gerber Dime that sits in my bike bag. The one I use the most is the Victorinox SD 7, aka the little keychain swiss army knife.

Thanks! Those were not on my radar, I'll go check them out!

Re: laser engraving multitools, is that a useful thing to do with say contact info or something? Or a waste of time and effort?

I've always thought about doing that with my tools but never got around to it since I've only traveled with cheap tools I didn't care so much about

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

I am once again posting about stupid multiroom tents. Here are the most recent I am looking at and why.

CORE 9 Person Instant Cabin Tent | Portable Multi Room Stand Up Tent
Core is sold at Costco and one heard good things about this brand. It seems like the one side of the tent could be mostly left open if it's just my son and I camping like a built in canopy, but still able to split up the group if we have the girls with us.

CAMPROS CP 8 Person Waterproof Windproof Family Tent, 5 Large Mesh Windows, Double Layer, Divided Curtain for Separated Room
I know zero about this brand, but this tent has a high review score on Amazon. I like that the rooms are 1 small, 1 medium when divided. Seems a better option when we'll probs only have one of the girls with us at any given time and even if it's both, then we just need sleeping/changing area separate the gear can stay with the boys. Also I could probably finagle another divider but that would make the center room crazy small.

In short. I don't know what I want or if there's anything that will be what I want. I hate this paradox of choice, but if anyone has any input on these brands or tents in particular I'd appreciate it.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

For a daypack, I do like my Manta. It came with a bladder, Mrs Trophy had to buy one for her Sirrus. But it did not take me long to wish I had bought a Stratos. Because the Stratos even in the 34 or 36 size makes a pretty good pack for a quick overnight trip. There are a exterior straps on the bottom to carry a foam sleeping pad, you can cram other objects between the bag and the top closure, and there is a separate pouch for a sleeping bag. Live and learn.

I ended up buying a ULA circuit for overnights, but I still take the Manta on day trips.

Thanks to you and Verman. I like the quality and functionality of Osprey stuff and should probably just bite the bullet and go with a Stratos. I'm not really a fan of their aesthetics but realistically those aren't super important (and nobody else seems to see much difference). Thanks for the feedback on their back length adjustability, I think packs are the first bit of equipment/clothing where I've found I don't just naturally fit well.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I've never liked Osprey aesthetics much either, but the three Osprey bags I have are my favorites (Exos, Farpoint, Raptor). Oh well!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I've never liked Osprey aesthetics much either, but the three Osprey bags I have are my favorites (Exos, Farpoint, Raptor). Oh well!

I bought the raptor to be my dirtbiking specific pack (its meant for mountain biking) so I assumed it would work the same.

Its easily one of my favorite backpacks. Its small, low profile, the shoulder straps and hip belt really secure it into place. It has a ton of features for how small it is. Hip belt pockets, bladder features like a zippered hose holder down the shoulder strap and a separate compartment for the bladder itself. I love the multiple pockets. Big main pocket, smaller outer pocket, sunglass pocket, then the big open stuff area with straps to cinch it down. Then there's the tool pouch/roll that secures snugly into the bottom. It honestly has become my primary day pack now too. I really enjoy its size.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Catatron Prime posted:

Whelp, I've been doing this all wrong

*glances over at cuben fiber backpack and tarp*

:ohdear:

I want to know more about this makeshift marlinspike with the corkscrew, that sounds pretty useful! Is that using the corkscrew like a spike for wrapping the chord?

I think spending more on super important items like backpacks, shelter, shoes etc is fine. It's the small easy-to-lose stuff I wouldn't spend heaps on or get too attached to.

With the corkscrew you can use it to untie tight knots. You work the tip into a knot and turn the corkscrew, and it helps pull the knot apart.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Verman posted:

I bought the raptor to be my dirtbiking specific pack (its meant for mountain biking) so I assumed it would work the same.

Its easily one of my favorite backpacks. Its small, low profile, the shoulder straps and hip belt really secure it into place. It has a ton of features for how small it is. Hip belt pockets, bladder features like a zippered hose holder down the shoulder strap and a separate compartment for the bladder itself. I love the multiple pockets. Big main pocket, smaller outer pocket, sunglass pocket, then the big open stuff area with straps to cinch it down. Then there's the tool pouch/roll that secures snugly into the bottom. It honestly has become my primary day pack now too. I really enjoy its size.

Yeah I use that thing all the time. It holds an incredible amount for its size. Real comfortable. Bike functionality. It's even my travel bag.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

RodShaft posted:

I am once again posting about stupid multiroom tents. Here are the most recent I am looking at and why.

CORE 9 Person Instant Cabin Tent | Portable Multi Room Stand Up Tent
Core is sold at Costco and one heard good things about this brand. It seems like the one side of the tent could be mostly left open if it's just my son and I camping like a built in canopy, but still able to split up the group if we have the girls with us.

CAMPROS CP 8 Person Waterproof Windproof Family Tent, 5 Large Mesh Windows, Double Layer, Divided Curtain for Separated Room
I know zero about this brand, but this tent has a high review score on Amazon. I like that the rooms are 1 small, 1 medium when divided. Seems a better option when we'll probs only have one of the girls with us at any given time and even if it's both, then we just need sleeping/changing area separate the gear can stay with the boys. Also I could probably finagle another divider but that would make the center room crazy small.

In short. I don't know what I want or if there's anything that will be what I want. I hate this paradox of choice, but if anyone has any input on these brands or tents in particular I'd appreciate it.

Between the two... amazon reviews are worthless, and I've never heard of that brand. Seems like another ALLCAPS garbage brand, I'd skip it. The Costco one at least looks like and is probably the same source as the Coleman branded instant popups, and I honestly like the functionality and roof height of the instant cabin style tents. Plus you've got the costco warranty behind it, so I'd personally opt for that one.

Just be aware of the caveat that you'll need about 1' square by 4' of packed space to haul it around, and 32 pounds of bulky material to carry to your campsite. Also probably meaningless, but costco seems to mark it as a 10 person tent instead of a 9 person tent, so that could be the previous year's model or just a sku difference for other retailers? No idea, just interesting. For what it's worth, I really like my costco carbon fiber hiking poles, so I'd assume the rest of their camping gear isn't too bad

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I am genuinely shocked that you don't like having two doors on opposite sides of the tent. I grew up camping with the Scouts in 4p tents with double doors and it was great. I haven't owned a 2-door tent since then and it infuriates me every time I have to get up and crawl over my wife and kid to go pee. My tent is in perfectly good shape -- at least I think it is, I guess I will find out when I take it out for the season, I am a little concerned about whether it was fully dry before it was re-stowed not by me -- and I have still seriously considered buying a new tent in a size I don't really need just to get the double doors back.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I am still using a one-door tent (fortunately the door is at the narrow end, so you don't have to climb over anyone to get out) but even I would go for a two-door tent with one on each side if mine wasn't still perfectly good and upgrading would be a waste.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Catatron Prime posted:

Between the two... amazon reviews are worthless, and I've never heard of that brand. Seems like another ALLCAPS garbage brand, I'd skip it. The Costco one at least looks like and is probably the same source as the Coleman branded instant popups, and I honestly like the functionality and roof height of the instant cabin style tents. Plus you've got the costco warranty behind it, so I'd personally opt for that one.

Just be aware of the caveat that you'll need about 1' square by 4' of packed space to haul it around, and 32 pounds of bulky material to carry to your campsite. Also probably meaningless, but costco seems to mark it as a 10 person tent instead of a 9 person tent, so that could be the previous year's model or just a sku difference for other retailers? No idea, just interesting. For what it's worth, I really like my costco carbon fiber hiking poles, so I'd assume the rest of their camping gear isn't too bad

Thanks for the input. I have those same trekking poles and the aluminum versions and both are great for the price. The Costco tent you linked is a foot thinner and lighted, so not the exact one, but the same style. 4 ft is a long rear end carry bag, I think that's the same size as my canopy and should fit fine in the back of my escape. Basically all my camping stuff is repurposed hiking gear so I don't take up much room typically. I think my hammock stand would even fit in this tent, so I could sleep comfortably. I have quite a bit of time before summer, so I don't NEED it now. I'll probably mull it over some more, but this is the front runner right now. I think they make the same one but with poles instead of instant up, so maybe I'll get that one since I don't mind setting up tents (it has fiberglass polls which are apparently out of style)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

RodShaft posted:

Thanks for the input. I have those same trekking poles and the aluminum versions and both are great for the price. The Costco tent you linked is a foot thinner and lighted, so not the exact one, but the same style. 4 ft is a long rear end carry bag, I think that's the same size as my canopy and should fit fine in the back of my escape. Basically all my camping stuff is repurposed hiking gear so I don't take up much room typically. I think my hammock stand would even fit in this tent, so I could sleep comfortably. I have quite a bit of time before summer, so I don't NEED it now. I'll probably mull it over some more, but this is the front runner right now. I think they make the same one but with poles instead of instant up, so maybe I'll get that one since I don't mind setting up tents (it has fiberglass polls which are apparently out of style)

I will say in my experience, that style of tent with that canopy will not keep you dry in any kind of weather worthy of the name. So if you live anywhere but places where its de regeur to pitch your rain fly and never bring it along I'd avoid.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Oracle posted:

I will say in my experience, that style of tent with that canopy will not keep you dry in any kind of weather worthy of the name. So if you live anywhere but places where its de regeur to pitch your rain fly and never bring it along I'd avoid.

Well poo poo. I'm in Ohio and I camp all over the Midwest. I guess I'm starting over.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

RodShaft posted:

Well poo poo. I'm in Ohio and I camp all over the Midwest. I guess I'm starting over.

Hey, same! Midwest and Appalachia!

I've got basically the same tent but Coleman branded, and it works just fine for rainy days. If the weather is bad enough that 30+ mph wind gusts are blowing rain sideways and up into the window zips, you're probably gonna be debating packing up and hitting the road anyways (given you're probably not gonna stray too far from your car with that thing). I mean, heck, last time I took that tent out was over at Kelley's Island (highly recommend a weekend camping trip up at the state park if you haven't been already), and we had some pretty good storms. Everything held up nice and dry even though we forgot to bring the rain fly

Weirdly the best shelter I've had in big storms is probably a hex tarp :sun:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone got an opinion on non-DWR rain pants? I've used a frogg togg jacket for years and been fine with it but their pants are generally considered to be ill-fitting junk. I'm after something fully waterproof without having to maintain a coating on them. Doesn't need to be breathable as I won't be doing any high intensity hikes in the rain, it's mostly for standing around or slow walks.

Something bulky enough to slide on over boots is a plus too. But I assume most of them are like that.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I have Showers Pass pants that I use mainly for biking (and I think they're marketed mainly for biking) but occasionally hikes too, and I've been happy with them, more durable than a few other brands I've tried, which is more important for biking maybe as pants see a lot of abuse on a bike. They don't breathe amazingly well but not terrible either.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
If you're mostly standing around then you could consider something more on the workwear side. I wear some Helly Hansen bibs/salopettes when I'm doing fieldwork - they're heavy and not breathable enough for sustained high activity but extremely tough and waterproof. I find the braces make them more comfortable for long days, and they have full-length zips so you can easily get them over boots. I do take them along on hikes if I'm expecting seriously bad weather, but I generally hate wearing waterproofs when hiking and will stick with a softshell unless it's a full downpour so they're really a last resort there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

If you're mostly standing around then you could consider something more on the workwear side. I wear some Helly Hansen bibs/salopettes when I'm doing fieldwork - t\

Thanks for the brand shoutout, that's the road I was going down. "fisherman waterproof pants" wasn't helping much, apparently because they're actually called something else entirely! :v:

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Catatron Prime posted:

Hey, same! Midwest and Appalachia!

I've got basically the same tent but Coleman branded, and it works just fine for rainy days. If the weather is bad enough that 30+ mph wind gusts are blowing rain sideways and up into the window zips, you're probably gonna be debating packing up and hitting the road anyways (given you're probably not gonna stray too far from your car with that thing). I mean, heck, last time I took that tent out was over at Kelley's Island (highly recommend a weekend camping trip up at the state park if you haven't been already), and we had some pretty good storms. Everything held up nice and dry even though we forgot to bring the rain fly

Weirdly the best shelter I've had in big storms is probably a hex tarp :sun:

Well, I was sold on it after this post, but then someone had a new Slumberjack Aspen Grove 8 person tent on Facebook marketplace for $60. So I got that.

It ticks most my boxes. I'm not worried about quality at that price. I'll set it up next weekend when the ground dries out a bit and waterproof spray it. I may add a zipper to the room divider and may look into getting a second one. I'll let you guys know what I think once I muss with it.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

RodShaft posted:

Well, I was sold on it after this post, but then someone had a new Slumberjack Aspen Grove 8 person tent on Facebook marketplace for $60. So I got that.

It ticks most my boxes. I'm not worried about quality at that price. I'll set it up next weekend when the ground dries out a bit and waterproof spray it. I may add a zipper to the room divider and may look into getting a second one. I'll let you guys know what I think once I muss with it.

Hell yeah! All that honestly matters is getting outside and creating good memories. Scoring a deal like that just means you can get out more!

Since you've got other tents and whatnot, you probably already have a tent pole repair kit or splint. That might be a good peace of mind to bring along (especially if someone trips over a guyline in the middle of the night). Also might be good to set it up beforehand and double check the seams for any leaks by misting it over with a garden hose. Since seam tape has a limited lifespan, or isn't done on all tents, a bottle of sealant and an hour or two applying it to the interior stitching would probably pay dividends.

xzzy posted:

Anyone got an opinion on non-DWR rain pants? I've used a frogg togg jacket for years and been fine with it but their pants are generally considered to be ill-fitting junk. I'm after something fully waterproof without having to maintain a coating on them. Doesn't need to be breathable as I won't be doing any high intensity hikes in the rain, it's mostly for standing around or slow walks.

Something bulky enough to slide on over boots is a plus too. But I assume most of them are like that.

I've only ever used rain jackets, but I've hiked with a few people over the years that swear by rain skirts if that's not something you've already looked into.

For me I just toss on some athletic shorts once I get my rain fly hung in camp, and drape my pants from the hammock straps to dry out overnight. That being said I do want to try a rain skirt for myself at some point... actually just poked around google real quick and it looks like Zpacks makes em from dyneema, so I might end up giving that a try myself here soon

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

ULA makes out of silnylon as well for half the price if you don't care about the literal extra ounce of weight. I bought mine years ago, only had to bust it out a couple times but it worked as advertised and didn't get as clammy as I remember rain pants being.

https://www.ula-equipment.com/product/rain-kilt/

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Guest2553 posted:

ULA makes out of silnylon as well for half the price if you don't care about the literal extra ounce of weight. I bought mine years ago, only had to bust it out a couple times but it worked as advertised and didn't get as clammy as I remember rain pants being.

https://www.ula-equipment.com/product/rain-kilt/

Oh that's even better! Adding that to my cart now, for forty bucks there's almost no reason not to give it a shot.

Speaking of recent gear purchases, I bought a campfire! Or rather one of the Camco Little Red propane firepits with the fake logs. Figure it'll be nice to tune into caveman tv without the hassle of sourcing firewood and constantly moving around the smoke.

Also snagged a deal on a secondhand rooftop cargo basket, which has got me down the rabbit hole of how to best secure stuff to that. Does anyone have any recommendations for strapping poo poo to a rooftop cargo basket? I was thinking a softside rubberized bag might be good to cinch down on there, so I could huck bulky bags inside and protect them from road spatter & rain.

Also looking to stash some traction boards on there without being too obvious that there's something worthwhile to walk away with when I'm parked at a trail head.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Oh dag!
$79 Ozark Trail 10-Person Dark Rest Instant Cabin Tent (Walmart.com)

Edit: fuckit. I bought that one too.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 13, 2023

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I was actually thinking of grabbing a car camping tent and was hoping for something cheap. That seems impractically large though -- can you even set up one of those in a standard campsite?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It'll fit, campgrounds with set-in-stone tent pads are pretty rare.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I am doing my first big multinight backpacking trip this summer and I'm starting to plan my gear for it. I've done a decent number of overnights and at least packed for a two-nighter that we had to bail out of due to wildfires, but this will be a 4 night/5 day guided expedition in Alaska. I think right now I'm mostly trying to get a handle on how much of stuff vs what specific stuff to bring; every trip I've done it's been totally reasonable to just pack a fresh set of camp clothes and next day clothes and not really think about it, but that obviously only works for very short trips. I think I'm packing/bringing: 2x pair hiking socks; 1x pair hiking pants; 2x? pair hiking underwear; 1 base layer shirt; maybe a pair of long underwear?; 1 outer shirt; 1 light down jacket; 1 rain shell jacket; 1 rain shell pants; 1 broad brimmed hat. For at camp, I think I'm also bringing 1x pair of campsite underwear; 1x pair of cozy socks; 1x warm hat; 1x pair of tevas; maybe a campsite shirt? god that's a lot of stuff once its written out. at least its mostly packed by Wearing It, I suppose

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’d bring two pair of long underwear, tops and bottoms, because you’re gonna sweat through em like regular underwear and you’ll want a dry pair for back at camp.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
If you get Merino wool long undies and socks, they wont stink like other types of fabric, it will breathe better, keep you warmer, and dry faster.

I bring long underwear even on summer trips in Washington because nights can still get cool up in the mountains, it's more comfortable to sleep in, keeps your sleeping bag cleaner, and if weather hits the fan, long underwear are one of the lightest, efficient layers to help keep warm. I have two pairs of Merino long underwear from backcountry.com and I love them. They come in two different weights.

I think you're being reasonable. I typically only bring one pair of pants on a multi day trip. 2-3 pairs of socks. 2 that are used for daily hiking, one I only use for sleeping. If it's sunny and warm I wash them each day and dry them over night. Same with underwear. Exofficio boxer briefs all day. Nothing else. I don't understand how they don't stink but I'm all for it.

For tee shirts I might bring 2 and alternate every other day. Layers beyond that are one each. Some sort of long sleeve shirt. Fleece, puffy, rain shell. I'm to the point now where all my clothes take up very little space, about a 5-10l nylon ditty sack at most. Jackets just get stuffed into the top of my pack.

If the weather is predictable in your area, you can try to forgo some of the extra things. I'm guessing Alaska swings wildly though. Hot days and cool nights. One more pressure system and it's probably down in the 40s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Bloody posted:

I am doing my first big multinight backpacking trip this summer and I'm starting to plan my gear for it. I've done a decent number of overnights and at least packed for a two-nighter that we had to bail out of due to wildfires, but this will be a 4 night/5 day guided expedition in Alaska. I think right now I'm mostly trying to get a handle on how much of stuff vs what specific stuff to bring; every trip I've done it's been totally reasonable to just pack a fresh set of camp clothes and next day clothes and not really think about it, but that obviously only works for very short trips. I think I'm packing/bringing: 2x pair hiking socks; 1x pair hiking pants; 2x? pair hiking underwear; 1 base layer shirt; maybe a pair of long underwear?; 1 outer shirt; 1 light down jacket; 1 rain shell jacket; 1 rain shell pants; 1 broad brimmed hat. For at camp, I think I'm also bringing 1x pair of campsite underwear; 1x pair of cozy socks; 1x warm hat; 1x pair of tevas; maybe a campsite shirt? god that's a lot of stuff once its written out. at least its mostly packed by Wearing It, I suppose

I've never been to Alaska (some day...), but I've heard horrifying things about the mosquitoes. You might ask your guide what to expect in your area and time of year.

I really hate mosquitoes, so that would definitely make me lean more toward long sleeve shirts covered in permathrin (sun shirts or similarly breathable if it'll be warm). And a head net, etc.