Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
I think the irridium bats (the purple ones you meet below floor 50) in the skull mines drop battery packs. You could try going there on a worse-luck day so there's more chances of them spawning. They don't drop them often, so it can take a while.

This is what we resorted to, when my daughter found my secret stash of 40+ battery packs, and converted them all into iron lamp-posts in year two. We had a... very well lit farm - that's for sure...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
Floor 50+ on bad luck days? Lol I play this to reduce anxiety and stress tyvm!

if I get bored waiting for a storm I'll try that thank you

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Things make bad weather RNG are why I don’t feel terrible when I occasionally use something like the CBJ Item Spawner mod but your feeling on that could vary

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Item spawning comes native with the console SMAPI automatically adds, I'm pretty sure. Weather control (for the next day) might too.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

tinned owl posted:

All true, but relying on the charity of a town drunk and a PTSD-ridden ex-POW to collect 15 batteries is going to take me well into year 8 by conservative estimates. I can't even get solar panels until after I've gotten to the island so I'm going to build hundreds of lightning rods and keep my fingers crossed

I'm pretty sure you only need 5 batteries unless that's part of the Mod you're playing on. Also daily luck doesn't have any effect on monsters spawning so feel free to go on lucky days if you want to try Iridium bat drops.

Also Summer 13th is always a stormy day unless your mod again does something to that.

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
No you're right I misremembered, and I'll check the date, would be funny if that was just around the corner.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Item spawning comes native with the console SMAPI automatically adds, I'm pretty sure. Weather control (for the next day) might too.

I don't know how to use that, I'll look into it cheers

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Or buy a chicken and name it [787]

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Or buy a chicken and name it [787]

Is this a cheat to making stormy weather I haven't heard of?

edit: oh, apparently you can name a new animal the internal item ID of something, in [ ], and that thing will appear for you. Interesting.

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
Didn't they fix that?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

No, it's a feature. Same with your own name.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

IIRC Nintendo for some bizarre reason made him fix it for the Switch version, but it's still there on PC.
(e: or maybe that was the wallpaper bug?)

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Mobile UI has really improved for this game since I last tried it on my phone years ago.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Does Maru give battery packs to the player if you are married to her?

I recall that the marriageable npc's had slightly different supper gifts they would provide, compared to what they might give to the player in the morning.

This was back in pre 1.4 days when I started recording what each spouse gave at suppertime (around 7 pm) - and very quickly gave up as I didn't know about using a time-change mod.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Guigui posted:

Does Maru give battery packs to the player if you are married to her?
According to the wiki? No she does not. For reference:

https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Maru#Marriage

I have yet to marry her so I can neither confirm nor deny that though.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

https://www.tumblr.com/stardewnice/644225434715815936

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I was getting back into it and having a lot of fun. Then the game wouldn't open anymore.

I've tried everything up to and including deleting both the sdv folder and the appdata folder and reinstalling, and the game still won't open. It just sits as a background process using 600mb of ram and .6% cpu. Anyone got any ideas? Windows 10. It does open in compatability mode, but mods don't work with that far as I can tell. It's nothing to do with Steam, I've tried running it directly from the exe, with both admin privs and not. It's not SMAPI, because even from a clean install it won't open. I've repaired the XNA thing, that hasn't helped.

:(

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 4, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

He's just old and upset that it's not his town anymore, it's the Farmer's. I RUN PELICAN TOWN, LEWIS! I make millions a year, and you do squat for the town!

Your vanity statue pails in comparison to the wanton frivolities I expend on my private domain, look upon my Iridium cat and dispair!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Hot take: I don't think Lewis is a neglectful mayor. Instead, I think that when the farmer moves to Pelican Town, it's a classic 'small town in decline' without a lot of money. That's probably a reason why Lewis was seriously thinking about giving Joja the old Community Center; he just didn't have the money for upkeep of the town. The farmer moving to town stimulated the economy and helped the town grow.

That's my interpretation, anyway.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Hot take: I don't think Lewis is a neglectful mayor. Instead, I think that when the farmer moves to Pelican Town, it's a classic 'small town in decline' without a lot of money. That's probably a reason why Lewis was seriously thinking about giving Joja the old Community Center; he just didn't have the money for upkeep of the town. The farmer moving to town stimulated the economy and helped the town grow.

That's my interpretation, anyway.

He didn't have the money because he blew it on a solid-gold life-size statue of himself.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Gold doesn't even sell for that much in-universe, a full bar is the equivalent of like two strawberries.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

How much could a gold bar cost, two strawberries?

Not to defend Lewis at all; he's not a good mayor but I think Pelican Town is a city in decline before the Farmer moves there and rejuvenates it.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
If those gold bars were the size you imagine when you think standard gold bars the Farmer wouldn't be able to carry thousands in his backpack.

They must be tiny. :colbert:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I don't think I've ever had more than 5 bars of gold in my bag at a time.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

i carry two gold bars per week to gift to Bert

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Who is BERT

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

bert is the sitcom dad from the ridgeside village mod i tell you what

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Poque posted:

Who is BERT

Breaking Every Remaining Tooth

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mr. Prokosch posted:

If those gold bars were the size you imagine when you think standard gold bars the Farmer wouldn't be able to carry thousands in his backpack.

Just gib Pierre and put the gold bars into his leg to avoid encumbrance

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Counterpoint: Farmer can easily carry enough construction material to build a three-bedroom house and several barns. His carry capacity is easily in tens of tons range.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010

Nettle Soup posted:

I was getting back into it and having a lot of fun. Then the game wouldn't open anymore.

I've tried everything up to and including deleting both the sdv folder and the appdata folder and reinstalling, and the game still won't open. It just sits as a background process using 600mb of ram and .6% cpu. Anyone got any ideas? Windows 10. It does open in compatability mode, but mods don't work with that far as I can tell. It's nothing to do with Steam, I've tried running it directly from the exe, with both admin privs and not. It's not SMAPI, because even from a clean install it won't open. I've repaired the XNA thing, that hasn't helped.

:(

I had this happen with my older windows 7 machine. If I seem to recall, the latest version uses the .net framework (5.2 I think?), compared to the previous (compatability mode) version which uses .XNA. Unfortunately for me, even though I loaded Net 5.2 onto my machine, Windows 7 was not starting the service when it was called for. I think it has been resolved in an "extended service" patch, but I'm not subscribed to that. Since you have Win 10 - maybe check to see if you have the .net version needed and installed - hopefully that might resolve your issue.

In the end, I just dual booted SDV in Linux Mint - and it had the added benefit of running a bit smoother (as I have an amd graphics card) in opengl.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Mr. Prokosch posted:

That explains why Linus keeps wanting to put one on a chain.

Pyromancer posted:

Counterpoint: Farmer can easily carry enough construction material to build a three-bedroom house and several barns. His carry capacity is easily in tens of tons range.
The Farmer's backpack is bigger on the inside.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 5, 2023

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I finally married Hailey. I chose to pursue her because it seemed like it was the biggest challenge. However, I may have made a mistake. Hindsight is 20/20.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

S'all good, you can't even be a proper multimillionaire without a trophy ex-wife.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
That's a fair point :v:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

How much could a gold bar cost, two strawberries?

Not to defend Lewis at all; he's not a good mayor but I think Pelican Town is a city in decline before the Farmer moves there and rejuvenates it.

Then why does he hide it and freak out if people put it in public? It's just a cheap-rear end self portrait.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Midnight Voyager posted:

Then why does he hide it and freak out if people put it in public? It's just a cheap-rear end self portrait.

It’s not a statue, it’s the gilded body of his twin brother who vanished last year.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Midnight Voyager posted:

'Cause he's a lovely person, but I don't think Pelican Town is hurting for money because of that one golden statue.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

RandolphCarter posted:

It’s not a statue, it’s the gilded body of his twin brother who vanished last year.

It's been way longer than a year, and he's living in a tent in the woods :ms:

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
The Statue of Endless Fortune is also made of solid gold and it's similar in size to Lewis' statue. It costs 1,000,000g, we should assume they're similarly priced.

Possibly the price is for whatever enchantment is on the statue, but maybe Lewis' statue is enchanted too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
more like PEW-is