Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Surely Apple’s hardware must reach a point where it’s so fast they can’t saddle it with new slower OS updates anymore.

iPhone 14 even has 6 gigs of ram which is 2x the amount of XR or 9th generation iPad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

veni veni veni posted:

By comparison my 9 year old macbook air still runs great on the latest OSX update, while my XR which was only 4 years old was increasingly slower and buggier with every update I installed. I don't know if Apple actually plans obsolescence in some mustache twirling way, but I think their care for older hardware users is basically "gently caress em" as they release the new versions of iOS they push out.

I was loving around with my 14 and I was like "wow this is so fast and polished" before I remembered that was exactly how my XR was until about a year ago.

edit: I had some info in here about their OS support but comparing their computers and mobile products isn't always a fair comparison. I can point to plenty of examples of MacOS clients that run like poo poo after a while and after certain OS versions or updates were installed.

There's no planned obsolescence. Apps and other things just become more resource hungry. There's also the battery to consider, but this isn't a factor for their desktops.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 4, 2023

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I never had problems with the latest iOS on my XR 256GB using it last year until I got a new 14 in November.

The weather app is bugging lately though, it seemed to work when I added my location as a favorite as it was showing Cupertino and New York just fine. Erased those and added local cities and it worked although my actual location varied from the favorite of the same.

This appears to be a wider bug with the weather app. Apple is planning a hotfix I guess.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
If you update your old iPhone and it runs slower then there was a problem somewhere.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Jose Oquendo posted:

There's no planned obsolescence. Apps and other things just become more resource hungry. There's also the battery to consider, but this isn't a factor for their desktops.

The fact that you absolutely cannot downgrade devices to an iOS version from when they were faster is a form of planned obsolescence. Safety and security, yadda yadda yadda... by now they could give older devices the option to downgrade and only install security patches if they really wanted to.

I have a 2016 SE that a friend gave me that was basically never used. I only really have it to mess around with. I had to format it so I could use it so it's running iOS 15. I actually had a different SE back in 2016 when the phone was new. There's no way the phone was originally this slow and choppy... it's basically unusable now. Apps are one thing, but everything you do on the phone is slow and choppy and there's nothing wrong with it.

That said, this stuff doesn't really become an issue until well past the point where you're probably gonna get a new device anyway.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What on earth is going on at Apple that they still can’t sort out the Weather app? They killed Dark Sky for this?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

What on earth is going on at Apple that they still can’t sort out the Weather app? They killed Dark Sky for this?

It's a bug.

https://www.macrumors.com/2023/04/04/ios-16-4-1-expected-soon/

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s an outage that’s been happening over multiple days. Doesn’t really seem like an OS bug since they’ve been reporting it down on their server status page.

Oh well. Weawow works well for now.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 5, 2023

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Even when it’s allegedly working I have to constantly refresh the weather widget to get it to show anything.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

American McGay posted:

If you update your old iPhone and it runs slower then there was a problem somewhere.

It’s been the case with every iPhone and iOS upgrade for a decade. Some more dramatic than others.

Maybe some of it is down to search indexing in the background or something following an update, but it’s very noticeable after an upgrade when the app switcher starts lagging.

Clear that they don’t do user acceptance testing on older supported devices, or else they don’t care about degraded performance.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

How else would sell more iPhones? I have not personally experienced the problem, but maybe I will with this new iPhone. I’ll be the first one to complain here if they manage to bog down this A15 hexa core with 6 gigs of ram :butt:

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

Jose Oquendo posted:

There's no planned obsolescence.

lol

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

wooger posted:

It’s been the case with every iPhone and iOS upgrade for a decade. Some more dramatic than others.

Maybe some of it is down to search indexing in the background or something following an update, but it’s very noticeable after an upgrade when the app switcher starts lagging.

Clear that they don’t do user acceptance testing on older supported devices, or else they don’t care about degraded performance.

I have never experienced this issue effecting “every single iPhone and iOS upgrade for a decade” hth

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

wooger posted:

Works on my machine.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
If anything, apps are just getting more and more bloated with trackers because newer phones can handle it, so older phones running updated versions of those apps will struggle.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Thanks for your only contribution to this thread. I mean, if you have proof there's planned obsolescence I'd love to hear it.

FCKGW posted:

I have never experienced this issue effecting “every single iPhone and iOS upgrade for a decade” hth

The only 'old' device I've ever had run like poo poo was an ancient iPad mini with a totally shot battery.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Apple’s planned obsolescence is generally to have the current phone last long enough and work well enough that when it becomes obsolete, the user plans to replace it with another iPhone. It works pretty good for them I’d say, and kinda makes me wanna check out customer retention rates compared to Samsung, LG etc.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The only age related fault with apple stuff is battery degradation and it's not really their fault they're subject to the realities of chemistry. All other battery powered devices have the same fault anyways.

Though I guess I would like if it had the option to limit the charge at 80% like macbooks do, I don't really need it at 100% every morning. But I'm not sure how much that helps longevity anyways so maybe it'd be a waste of effort.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I don’t want to outright turn off the “shared with you” items in Safari, but why do they keep coming back after I’ve done long press > remove link?

There’s an article that was shared with me re: my aunt dying like a year ago that I’m kinda done with it constantly reappearing in there.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

With every iOS update, Apple releases more and more APIs for things like lockscreen and homescreen widgets, and loosens the reigns on things like background syncing, which can certainly affect the performance of your devices, especially older ones.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Question Mark Mound posted:

I don’t want to outright turn off the “shared with you” items in Safari, but why do they keep coming back after I’ve done long press > remove link?

There’s an article that was shared with me re: my aunt dying like a year ago that I’m kinda done with it constantly reappearing in there.
If you go into the contact entry for the person who sent you that link you can turn it off.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Ideally I’d like to still see other links from that person if they send any. It just seems like “remove link” won’t stick if there isn’t enough other stuff from Messages to populate the list.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

xzzy posted:

The only age related fault with apple stuff is battery degradation and it's not really their fault they're subject to the realities of chemistry. All other battery powered devices have the same fault anyways.

This definitely isn't true, you can prove it from time to time when Apple accidentally or otherwise starts signing an old version of IOS and you can downgrade your iPad2 back to IOS6 or whatever.

I also had two iPhones SE, one was on 9, one was on 12 or maybe 13, and the difference was night and day.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I’d like to think processor speed has got to the point now where there’s still loads of overhead when it comes to what you’d need to run a mobile OS. All these phones are at a point where basic OS level stuff can easily be run by most hardware, whereas older models (ipad2 is a great example) had a kind of Windows 1995 sort of situation where the OS was outpacing the technology.

I mean, my partner has a refurb 2020 SE and iOS16 runs very fast on it. Whereas once my iPhone 5s was 2-3 years old, things got kind of clunky and miserable with the newer updates. But who knows.

At the very least, I think it’s completely true that on todays phones the battery will go to poo poo before the hardware itself begins to struggle with iOS updates.

It’s also obvious the past couple of gens that as processor speed becomes less of an issue, obselecense is tied more to other hardware features and accessory compatibility. My parent only upgraded their phone from an 8 because they got a new Apple Watch which wouldn’t run on the hardware.

They’re fuckin over users more obviously on the iPad side of things too when it comes to accessibility compatibility and longievity.

So while I don’t think they’re wrecking older phones with new OS updates any more, there’s still plenty of apple obnoxiousness to go around on other fronts.

There’ll definitely be a compatibility cutoff with their new VR headsets, and it wouldn’t be surprise me if you at least need a 14 pro or a 15 to run them. Which I guess is fine because it’s the VR headset and if you buy it you don’t care about yourself or your finances.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

The Grumbles posted:

There’ll definitely be a compatibility cutoff with their new VR headsets, and it wouldn’t be surprise me if you at least need a 14 pro or a 15 to run them. Which I guess is fine because it’s the VR headset and if you buy it you don’t care about yourself or your finances.

Lol if you don’t think it’ll be 15 pro only.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The talk about Keyboards > Text Replacement a little while back got me thinking to use them as a way to add common search filters. Here's what I mean:

• qzm - site:marxists.org
  • qzr - site:reddit.com
  • qzt - filter:verified only finds tweets by legacy verified

I wanted all shortcut keys to be accessible without having to change the keyboard mode ("123"), which limits the choice to alphabetical. So I looked up the least common sequences of 2 letters in English:

quote:

Of the 676 total possible bigrams "there are only seven bigrams that do not occur among the 2.8 trillion mentions: JQ, QG, QK, QY, QZ, WQ, and WZ."
I found qz, wq, and wz the easiest to tap on QWERTY.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Sounds like a job for Keyword Search TBH.

E.g make a prefix ‘mx’ that points to https://www.google.com/search?q=@@@+site%3Amarxists.org

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

TACD posted:

E.g make a prefix ‘mx’ that points to https://www.google.com/search?q=@@@+site%3Amarxists.org

I do most of my searching using Spotlight nowadays, but this is awesome, and one of the things I love most about Firefox without relying on an extension - you can right click on a website's search box and add a keyword for it.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 6, 2023

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

mawarannahr posted:

The talk about Keyboards > Text Replacement a little while back got me thinking to use them as a way to add common search filters.
Before emoji search was finally implemented, I did this for ones I used a lot. Replacing, like, “xfart” with 🍑💨. Using “xaddy” to insert my email address is handy too, especially before there was password manager support in Safari, although on some forms it doesn’t work.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

TACD posted:

Thanks, I didn't know about this extension. It's nice the source code is available too: https://github.com/arnemart/SafariKeywordSearch

There are some benefits to the text replacement approach - the expansion happens immediately and visibly, whereas the extension processes the address contents invisibly after you enter the address. It also works in every app (Safari, Firefox Focus, Twitter) and for all search engines that share a syntax ("site:" works on google, bing :newlol:, and ddg).

The way SafariKeywordSearch replaces the template "@@@" is as follows:
code:
  if (match) {
    const spaceReplacer = match.spaceReplacer || '+'
    if (match.escape === false) {
      return match.expansion.replaceAll('@@@', searchPhrase.join(spaceReplacer))
    } else {
      const encodedSearchPhrase = searchPhrase.map(s => encodeURIComponent(s))
      return match.expansion.replaceAll('@@@', encodedSearchPhrase.join(spaceReplacer))
    }
  }
}
I tried to see if text expansion in the Safari address bar could do the same functions as this. It turns out space (%20), colon (%3A), and quotes (%22) get encoded correctly, but many other are not, depending on the context so you can set up a YouTube search that will work ok for most purposes -- but not for searching "c++ vs c#". The code that controls this behavior in URLs appears to be in CFURL.inc.h and it depends on the position of the characters.

You also need to add a space to trigger the replacement. This becomes a problem if the search query isn't a URL parameter -- with https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/example.com for example (one of the extension's builtins), it won't work as http[s://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ example.com". So you would have to remember the space if you have a text replacement for that URL with "qzd example.com".

So uh yeah different ways to accomplish things are cool. Thank you holy poo poo I need a job

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Corb3t posted:

I do most of my searching using Spotlight nowadays, but this is awesome, and one of the things I love most about Firefox without relying on an extension - you can right click on a website's search box and add a keyword for it.

This works on some sites in Safari, eg Reddit but not Twitter or GitHub afaict. Not sure how it does it. I wish Reddit searches weren't necessary and all that info was on good websites. Soon enough most posts made after this year are going to be made by LLMs. It's a good place to find out about some apps though.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

mawarannahr posted:

Thanks, I didn't know about this extension. It's nice the source code is available too: https://github.com/arnemart/SafariKeywordSearch

There are some benefits to the text replacement approach - the expansion happens immediately and visibly, whereas the extension processes the address contents invisibly after you enter the address. It also works in every app (Safari, Firefox Focus, Twitter) and for all search engines that share a syntax ("site:" works on google, bing :newlol:, and ddg).

The way SafariKeywordSearch replaces the template "@@@" is as follows:
code:
  if (match) {
    const spaceReplacer = match.spaceReplacer || '+'
    if (match.escape === false) {
      return match.expansion.replaceAll('@@@', searchPhrase.join(spaceReplacer))
    } else {
      const encodedSearchPhrase = searchPhrase.map(s => encodeURIComponent(s))
      return match.expansion.replaceAll('@@@', encodedSearchPhrase.join(spaceReplacer))
    }
  }
}
I tried to see if text expansion in the Safari address bar could do the same functions as this. It turns out space (%20), colon (%3A), and quotes (%22) get encoded correctly, but many other are not, depending on the context so you can set up a YouTube search that will work ok for most purposes -- but not for searching "c++ vs c#". The code that controls this behavior in URLs appears to be in CFURL.inc.h and it depends on the position of the characters.

You also need to add a space to trigger the replacement. This becomes a problem if the search query isn't a URL parameter -- with https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/example.com for example (one of the extension's builtins), it won't work as http[s://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ example.com". So you would have to remember the space if you have a text replacement for that URL with "qzd example.com".

So uh yeah different ways to accomplish things are cool. Thank you holy poo poo I need a job

This is a very cool post, thanks!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

tuyop posted:

This is a very cool post, thanks!

Glad that was interesting to someone. I learned also that it's possible Safari doesn't use that version of CoreFoundation that I linked, because they reimplemented CF anew for Swift (licensing?) and maintain the original one separately. Of course it could be well that Safari or WebKit use their own implementation entirely for whatever reason.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Got my iPhone 14 pro about a month ago, have had it in a Maus case since day 1.

Last night the battery was really low after a day (30%) and I put it on the MagSafe charger like I do every night.

Went to bed, woke up, phone isn’t on. I put it on the MagSafe and it doesn’t charge. Plugged it into a standard charger and won’t charge…left it there while I did a workout.

I pushed the volume up, volume down, and then held the side button for about 10 seconds and the Apple logo popped up and the phone booted up saying it has a 75% charge.

Any ideas wtf? I’m just a little wary of this happening on a phone that’s so new since my wife’s last phone’s motherboard died without any reason just outside of warranty.

nwin fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Apr 7, 2023

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

Last night the battery was really low after a day (30%) and I put it on the MagSafe charger like I do every night.

Went to bed, woke up, phone isn’t on. I put it on the MagSafe and it doesn’t charge. Plugged it into a standard charger and won’t charge…left it there while I did a workout.

I pushed the volume up, volume down, and then held the side button for about 10 seconds and the Apple logo popped up and the phone booted up saying it has a 75% charge.

Any ideas wtf? I’m just a little wary of this happening on a phone that’s so new since my wife’s last phone’s motherboard died without any reason just outside of warranty.

I am sorry to say this because you have good posts and a cool avatar but you are cursed with phones (I am mostly joking).

Every once in a blue moon phones just glitch, best bet is power cycle and it should go back to charging normally. Unless it keeps happening I legit would attribute it as a one off.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Duckman2008 posted:

I am sorry to say this because you have good posts and a cool avatar but you are cursed with phones (I am mostly joking).

Every once in a blue moon phones just glitch, best bet is power cycle and it should go back to charging normally. Unless it keeps happening I legit would attribute it as a one off.

Thanks…my bad luck definitely makes me worry!

In the event a glitch continues to happen…can I take it to a Verizon store or will they just send me to an Apple Store after 30 days have passed? I don’t have insurance or AppleCare. Asking because the Apple Store is an hour away.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

nwin posted:

In the event a glitch continues to happen…can I take it to a Verizon store or will they just send me to an Apple Store after 30 days have passed? I don’t have insurance or AppleCare. Asking because the Apple Store is an hour away.

Without insurance they will send you to Apple.

I’d probably get Apple care though. Definitely don’t get the Verizon insurance.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

Yeah, Verizon won’t swap out for new inbox outside of 30 days. Verizon I think still would potentially swap under warranty, but you don’t want a Verizon warranty replacement you would want an apple one.

The good news is you have a 1 year warranty via Apple (all new in box electronics have a 1 year warranty in the US). So if it keeps happening you are covered. It’s just whether you want to drive to the Apple Store, call apple over the phone or go to a certified apple repair shop like Best Buy.

Imo last I checked 1-800-MYAPPLE (Apple’s official number) is overall very good, if it keeps happening I would call there first, they may mail replacement and then have you mail back if it came to that.

But! This is the time you will buck your curse, I am legit pretty confident it is a one off issue.

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

nwin posted:

Same thing happened to my iPhone 14 Pro Max several months ago. Put it down onto a Qi wireless charger for the night, woke up to an apparently dead iPhone, did the hard reset and it turned back on with almost an 80% charge. Going into Settings -> Battery and the graph showed it apparently "went dead" during the night.

I haven't had any issues since then. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

:siren: iOS 16.4.1 has been released :siren:

Apple posted:

This update provides important bug fixes and security updates for your iPhone including:

- Pushing hands emoji does not show skin tone variations
- Siri does not respond in some cases

This version also patches some vulnerabilities that were already known to have been exploited out in the wild..