Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Murgos posted:

I kept the ring off one CS grenade I threw and still have it and use it as a key ring.

One of the college E-4s in our basic training platoon got caught keeping a pin from grenade training day and got busted to E-1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

A.o.D. posted:

Weren't those anti-tank mines that didn't have their fuses installed?

No idea, where I come from, Enemy Mines are giant lizard men

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

GD_American posted:

One of the college E-4s in our basic training platoon got caught keeping a pin from grenade training day and got busted to E-1.

Oh poo poo! My old CO is knocking on my door, says he’s “going to NJP me back into the Corps!”

Dude’s gotta be like 80 though, so I think I can just wait till he forgets why he’s here.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Murgos posted:

Oh poo poo! My old CO is knocking on my door, says he’s “going to NJP me back into the Corps!”

Dude’s gotta be like 80 though, so I think I can just wait till he forgets why he’s here.

Ink all melting off your DD-214 like it looked at the ark of the covenant

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Every now and then for ten years or so after I ETS'd I have the "oh poo poo I'm back in the Army" dream, and tell my wife in the morning and how much they sucked.

I mean, I still have them, but after about a decade I realized she thought I was dreaming about blood and guts and horror, but I realized I needed to tell her I actually was dreaming about being in arbitrary uniforms that were always wrong and being hassled by stupid people that outranked me over inconsequential, nonsensical poo poo

I got recommended for one A15 for telling my platoon sergeant he was a grimy me-first motherfucker with the mustache of a repressed homosexual (it was 2004, I actually used less PC language). If you're going to get it, earn it, don't lose rank over something stupid.

I didn't lose rank. Because he was a grimy me-first motherfucker with a dumb mustache and 1SG knew it. And now he's dead of pancreatic cancer, so gently caress you Tyrone Caldwell

GD_American fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 5, 2023

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I've been out since 1996 and still wake up in a cold sweat over missing a formation dream.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001
Been out 20+ years and still get weird dreams that I've re-enlisted but will be adsepped any day now....

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I’ve never been in but I totally get it. I sometimes dream about pop quizzes or missing out classes I was enrolled in

So glad I don’t need to be able to bounce a quarter off my bed

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

My "oh God I'm back in the army" nightmares usually involve a BUB that I hadn't prepared for, followed by a PT test. It's not that I was bad at PT, but drat it if those things didn't always give me anxiety.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

GD_American posted:

Why would anyone care what people do with the leftover pin, if it is from a live grenade that was thrown as an exercise?

Murgos posted:

I kept the ring off one CS grenade I threw and still have it and use it as a key ring.

I also kept mine from the one time in basic training we were allowed to throw a real one, still part of the keychain.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Der Kyhe posted:

Why would anyone care what people do with the leftover pin, if it is from a live grenade that was thrown as an exercise?

I also kept mine from the one time in basic training we were allowed to throw a real one, still part of the keychain.

Probably-true answer: those need turned in for however you do accountability to range control/whoever actually does it, iirc

More likely to be true answer: there was a chance to gently caress with a trainee or subordinate, and they couldn’t pass it up :v:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Der Kyhe posted:

It's an accounting thing to make sure ammunition doesn't go missing. Dumb? Yes. But federal employees don't excel at reasoning.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

GD_American posted:

Every now and then for ten years or so after I ETS'd I have the "oh poo poo I'm back in the Army" dream, and tell my wife in the morning and how much they sucked.

I mean, I still have them, but after about a decade I realized she thought I was dreaming about blood and guts and horror, but I realized I needed to tell her I actually was dreaming about being in arbitrary uniforms that were always wrong and being hassled by stupid people that outranked me over inconsequential, nonsensical poo poo

I got recommended for one A15 for telling my platoon sergeant he was a grimy me-first motherfucker with the mustache of a repressed homosexual (it was 2004, I actually used less PC language). If you're going to get it, earn it, don't lose rank over something stupid.

I didn't lose rank. Because he was a grimy me-first motherfucker with a dumb mustache and 1SG knew it. And now he's dead of pancreatic cancer, so gently caress you Tyrone Caldwell

God, I had those exact same dreams. Not so much anymore. They were the loving worst.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Is anyone here interested in this kind of stuff? I've been posting these translations in the GBS thread, but if this thread would be interested as well I can post them here too.

---

Is anyone in the mood for some cope and some seething impotent frustration? Because Russia's got you covered!

The translation is again mine, and I didn't bother translating the Russian names into their anglic forms.

Source: https://yle.fi/a/74-20025957
Journalist: Simo Ortamo

Yle.fi posted:

Finland's Nato membership drew sour comments in Russian media -- a journalist suggests nuclear land mines on the border
In Russian state-controlled media propagandists considered Finland's decision a mistake and predicted retaliation.

Finland's Nato membership was one of the biggest news articles in Russia on Tuesday. In state-controlled media journalists and propagandists commented on the membership with sour and colourful phrases.

A common theme was that the decision was a mistake.

For instance the news agency Ria quotes senator Grigori Karasin, who says the decision will only produce anxiety and militarism in Finnish minds.

- It is highly unlikely that anyone in Finland is happy about this, Karasin wrote on his Telegram channel.

In actuality Finland's Nato membership was favoured by 80% of Finns in a poll conducted by Helsingin Sanomat in February.

For his part war researcher Jevgeni Bužinski estimated in the Argumenti i fakti magazine that Finland will lose its neutrality and that trade between Finland and Russia will suffer.

Bužinski fails to mention that Finland gave up its neutrality when we joined the EU in 1995, and that our trade already collapsed a year ago after Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

Many commenters also claim that Finland will now become a puppet of the United States.

Duma representative major general Andrei Kartapolov claimed on the 60 minutes propaganda show on Tuesday that the United States are planning on forcing Finnish troops to invade Russia, because they don't want to put their own troops at risk.

He compared Finns with American native people, who Europeans urged to attack their enemies in James Fenimore Cooper's book "The Last of the Mohicans".

- They need new indians. Finns are these Indians, Kartopolov says.

Commentators consider it a done deal that Finland will host Nato troops and infrastructure. For instance the host of 60 minutes, Olga Skabejeva claims that Finland will have nuclear weapons sooner or later.

The Russian government has threatened retaliation, if Finland will host any kind of Nato infrastructure. They have not elaborated on the details, but the commentators predicted various means.

In the Russian government run Rossiskaja Gazeta newspaper military expert Aleksei Leonkov writes that he expects Russia to target its nuclear arsenal against Finland.

The MilitaryRussia website's journalist Dmitri Kornev writes that Russia could deploy Iskander and Kinzal missiles on the Finnish border, form new military units on the border, and strengthen its northern navy.

Western sources have been skeptical of Russia's means of meaningfully strengthening its forces, considering the level of difficulties it is already facing doing in Ukraine alone.

In the 60 minutes TV show journalist Mihail Hodarjonok speculated, that Russia could deploy nuclear land mines on the Finnish border.

By talking about "nuclear land mines" Hodarjonok could be referring to surface launched tactical nuclear weapons, which the United States and Russia developed during the Cold War. It is unclear how many of these weapons exist today in Russia's arsenal.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Is anyone here interested in this kind of stuff? I've been posting these translations in the GBS thread, but if this thread would be interested as well I can post them here too.

I'd always be interested in reading translated articles that might otherwise not hit the major English-language news outlets, assuming they're interesting, factual and/or funny.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

psydude posted:

It's an accounting thing to make sure ammunition doesn't go missing. Dumb? Yes. But federal employees don't excel at reasoning.

Because after using an HE grenade, the only thing that's left intact is the pin? Which wouldn't be the case for a CS grenade in Murgo's case

(it's me, I'm the one who thinks like a federal accounting bureaucrat)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Fragrag posted:

Because after using an HE grenade, the only thing that's left intact is the pin? Which wouldn't be the case for a CS grenade in Murgo's case

(it's me, I'm the one who thinks like a federal accounting bureaucrat)

Bingo. Or he just didn't get caught.

e: Reduction in rank from E4 to E1 is a field grade article 15, which seems severe for a trainee. Dude should have opted for a court martial instead, but I doubt someone who's in basic would have known that it likely would have had a better outcome. Probably just thought that court martial = something bad from the movies.
e: Upon further reading, it looks like that carries risks as well (e.g. criminal record in the civilian world if convicted). Admittedly, my only experience with this was watching an E6 opt for a trial by court martial for mailing home tools that had already been removed from the property book. Dude got off scott free.

psydude fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Apr 5, 2023

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Syrian Lannister posted:

I've been out since 1996 and still wake up in a cold sweat over missing a formation dream.

Been out since 2001 and I still have similar dreams. It's usually about not having the right uniform for an upcoming event. Like I have BDU pants and a Dress Blue jacket and where the gently caress is my shirt?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Itchy_Grundle posted:

Been out since 2001 and I still have similar dreams. It's usually about not having the right uniform for an upcoming event. Like I have BDU pants and a Dress Blue jacket and where the gently caress is my shirt?

Similarly been out since 2001 and sometime still get dreams where I have re-enlisted (which isn't even possible for just reservists in FDF) as a training officer. And its always at night in wintertime, and I am trying to get a headcount of conscripts in the building, or trying to find missing parts of my uniform.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I don't get those dreams but almost 10 years later I still get that panicky feeling that I left my rifle somewhere. Wearing a seatbelt does this to me all the time, I guess because it feels like a sling, so as soon as I get out of the car and close the door it feels like I'm forgetting something, like there's something horribly wrong with the fact that I don't constantly have an M4 slung over my shoulder.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

bees everywhere posted:

I don't get those dreams but almost 10 years later I still get that panicky feeling that I left my rifle somewhere

Lol this one is the worst

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

bees everywhere posted:

I still get that panicky feeling that I left my rifle somewhere.

Lol same

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Bros, you did it wrong, you just needed to bang your head so hard you forget all about that poo poo.

Peaceful night's sleep everynight, suckas. and never ending migraines

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

bees everywhere posted:

I don't get those dreams but almost 10 years later I still get that panicky feeling that I left my rifle somewhere.

I don't get that surprisingly, considering I spread my rifle's parts on a snow covered clear cut and afterwards had to search for them in the darkness.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Like...as a hobby?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

bees everywhere posted:

I still get that panicky feeling that I left my rifle somewhere.
Wait... didn't you?

I'm glad that the closest thing I get to bad dreams are of the "endless purgatory" variety where I'm manning a busy cash register or teaching English to class after class.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Been out since 2013. Still get army dreams. Only they feature current (fat) me failing a PT test or worse feature current (stoned) me having to take a wiz quiz. Those alternate with the dream about having an exam in a class I forgot I was taking and never went. Anxiety sucks.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.

SerthVarnee posted:

Like...as a hobby?

Nah, accidentally. The company was marching through the clearing when I stumbled crossing a mound. Later I noticed my rifle was now one of those fancy lightened models, and as expected it didn't shoot as well anymore.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Not sure I dream too often, but it's not unusual for the morning brain boot sequence to involve "OH gently caress IS THERE A FORMATION TODAY, AM I LATE?" if I don't wake up to an alarm.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Saukkis posted:

Nah, accidentally. The company was marching through the clearing when I stumbled crossing a mound. Later I noticed my rifle was now one of those fancy lightened models, and as expected it didn't shoot as well anymore.

I would like to know more details. What kind of weapon? Any idea how it happened? I'm pretty familiar with various weapons from around the world, and can't picture this. My mental picture is you carrying your poo poo like an armful of falling limes.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

My mind is boggling at the thought that a rifle just spontaneously fell apart because it got jostled by a stumble

Seems like the shock of pulling the trigger might be dangerous if its that rickety

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My section was lurking in a ditch ready to get going on an op, and the entire optic and mounting rail fell off the rifle of the guy next to me into the water.

#justL85things

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

bulletsponge13 posted:

I would like to know more details. What kind of weapon? Any idea how it happened? I'm pretty familiar with various weapons from around the world, and can't picture this. My mental picture is you carrying your poo poo like an armful of falling limes.

RK-62. I was the company radioman carrying the AN/PRC-77 in the horrifically unergonomic finnish setup. I was holding my rifle in front in the normal manner.

I fell forward and something pushed the rear latch. The rifle field stripped itself right on the spot, dust cover, spring and bolt carrier were all left under the snow.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Cugel the Clever posted:

Wait... didn't you?

Fortunately I only made that mistake one time as an E-2. I slept with my rifle leaning against a log about 5 feet away from my sleeping bag. When I woke up I immediately noticed it was gone and felt that sinking feeling, started looking for it before noticing a group of NCOs had been watching me the whole time. "Something wrong, private?"

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

knox_harrington posted:

My section was lurking in a ditch ready to get going on an op, and the entire optic and mounting rail fell off the rifle of the guy next to me into the water.

#justL85things

The weather in Northern Ireland can even make the weapons depressed. :razz:

I can see why the design had to be redone.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Oh god, I had memory-holed the fear of losing a sensitive item. :gonk:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Just Another Lurker posted:

The weather in Northern Ireland can even make the weapons depressed. :razz:

I can see why the design had to be redone.

Non-zero chance some wag named their L85, "Marvin, the Depressed Rifle".

"Here I am, optic the size of a planet, and they ask me to shoot plastic bullets at paper silhouettes. Shame, if ask me."

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
My back in the military dreams were usually just some variation of me in a utility uniform wondering why the gently caress was I here? Didn’t I get out already?

That or getting ready for a CGs inspection and not having like 90% of the stuff.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

madeintaipei posted:

Non-zero chance some wag named their L85, "Marvin, the Depressed Rifle".

"Here I am, optic the size of a planet, and they ask me to shoot plastic bullets at paper silhouettes. Shame, if ask me."

Somewhat worse, this was a real operation with real bullets in both directions in Afghanistan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Saukkis posted:

RK-62. I was the company radioman carrying the AN/PRC-77 in the horrifically unergonomic finnish setup. I was holding my rifle in front in the normal manner.

I fell forward and something pushed the rear latch. The rifle field stripped itself right on the spot, dust cover, spring and bolt carrier were all left under the snow.

One of the few times my father had to leave the track on exercises, they dismounted the MG3. They got situated with their gun, ammo, barrel set, and glove, then let a whole belt rip. Pop the catch, swing out the barrel, pull it out... and it rolls off into the hard packed snow to the right of the gun. The red hot barrel sizzles it's way to ground and rolls off down the hill under the snow.

"loving find it! Dig!"

Queue an hour of scooping snow with e-tools, to find the thing nestled in tree roots 10m down the way.

Lesson learned.